User Lists: 3

Respect Johnny Sorrow

No Caption Provided

General Information

• Name: Johnny Sorrow
  • Alias: Johnny Sorrow
  • Hometown: N/A
  • Team Affiliations: Injustice Society
  • Bio: Johnny Sorrow was a silent film actor who resorted to crime after films began recording audio and his career went downhill. In one of his earliest encounters with the JSA the "sub-space prototype" he was using to aid him in his capers was damaged by Sandy, the Golden Boy, who later became sand. Due to the damage he was pulled into a world between worlds known as the Subtle Realm. Here he made a deal with the King of Tears; he would return to Earth as long as he served the KOT and attempted to summon him to Earth. Since his return he has been granted several different abilities.

Table of Contents

1. Origin
  2. Powers & Abilities

1.0 Origin

Johnny Sorrow is introduced as an old foe of the JSA despite never having appeared in their classic tales; his origin is told via flashback.

• JSA #18 - The origin of Johnny Sorrow, as told by him. Mentions his initial death, how he got his powers, and how he was a foe of the JSA back in the day.

2.0 Powers & Abilities

Johnny Sorrow has a variety of powers and abilities that were granted to him by the King of Tears, each of those abilities will be shown here.

Death Stare

His primary (and most dangerous) ability is his death stare. If Johnny Sorrow takes off his mask and you see his face it results in death (with some special instances resulting in other effects).

Energy Manipulation

Johnny Sorrow can manipulate and disrupt various energies, including mystical ones.

• JLA/JSA: Virtue & Vice - Manipulates the energies of Alan Scott, Firestorm, Zatanna, Green Lantern, Doctor Fate and Star Girl.

Illusions

Johnny Sorrow can project illusions and disguise himself.

Intangibility

Johnny Sorrow is always intangible, unless he attempts to kill someone via Death Stare, as he must be tangible to remove his mask.

Levitation

Johnny Sorrows can levitate/fly.

Teleportation

• JSA #10 - Teleports himself and others out of the JSA HQ.
  • JSA #18 -Teleports out of Scarb's grasp.

Conclusion

Despite not having many appearances (~40) Johnny Sorrow is a proven threat. His death glare could harm the likes of the wizard Shazam and Despero which makes him incredibly dangerous and puts him in the higher tiers.

Phasing and Teleportation grant him good defenses and versatility as far as movement goes and his levitation doesn't hurt either, could be a great character to pair with someone like Mirror Master in a tournament.

As always; correct context if you think I got it wrong, provide more feats if I missed anything, be on the lookout for the next Respect Thread.

Thank you all!

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebcd5ad9fb95
deactivated-5ebcd5ad9fb95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

There’s actually an existing great RT for Johnny on the Vine already. But cool thread.

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By TheTrueBarryAllen

@major_hellstrom said:

There’s actually an existing great RT for Johnny on the Vine already. But cool thread.

If you mean THIS ONE then it's missing quite a bit of what I included in this one and the creator of it deactivated their account; hence the remake.

Avatar image for fullmetalemprah
FullMetalEmprah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow this guy is walking hax, his backstory is pretty interesting too! What are his physicals like? Or well, I guess a better question would be if he has a consistent reaction speed/combat speed, since he's mostly intangible lol.

Very good RT though!

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@thetruebarryallen: To be honest, I just slapped that image together while I was bored and needed to find something to do with it. xD

Avatar image for deactivated-5c522ab96172e
deactivated-5c522ab96172e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another great RT, TTBA!

I really like how you're giving more spotlight to the relatively unknown mystical characters like Sorrow, Mordru and so on.

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow this guy is walking hax, his backstory is pretty interesting too! What are his physicals like? Or well, I guess a better question would be if he has a consistent reaction speed/combat speed, since he's mostly intangible lol.

Very good RT though!

He took a mace to the face from Hawkman once in JSA #18:

No Caption Provided

But aside from that he doesn't have many other durability showings due to his intangibility, haha.

His combat/reaction speed seems to be fairly consistent since he's usually taking on several members of the JSA at once, making him a sort of mystical team-buster.

Another great RT, TTBA!

I really like how you're giving more spotlight to the relatively unknown mystical characters like Sorrow, Mordru and so on.

Thanks!

I do enjoy trying to find some of the more obscure or unknown folks. It's fun for me to learn about them myself and I like sharing them with others to give them some exposure!

FullMetalEmprah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetruebarryallen: Oh that's actually pretty impressive, sounds like he's a solid mid tier at the very least. Has anyone ever resisted the death stare though? Or is it one of those things that I should normally restrict if using him for battles?

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fullmetalemprah said:

@thetruebarryallen: Oh that's actually pretty impressive, sounds like he's a solid mid tier at the very least. Has anyone ever resisted the death stare though? Or is it one of those things that I should normally restrict if using him for battles?

It varies; it's most common result is death, but that's against a lot of lower-tier/more human characters. The members of the JSA still try to avoid it though because there are no pleasant effects, but some people who've shown some "resistance" would be the following:

• Doctor Mid-Night resisted the death stare because he's blind, but I'm fairly certain it still gave him a heart attack.
  • Shazam wasn't killed by it, but was turned to stone.
  • It forced Captain Atom to Quantum Leap, but didn't kill him.
  • Despero was KO'd but not killed.

The REBIRITH version of Johnny Sorrow seems to be weaker. Harley Quinn stared at his face and was unaffected because she was insane, which was odd.

There's also the fact that he has to turn himself tangible to use the stare, so if you're able to hit him before he can take the mask off then you're good. He tried to do it to Firestorm but Firestorm hit him with a blast to the face and transmuted the mask to tar, which might be another durability showing since JS was able to just reshape his mask.

FullMetalEmprah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetruebarryallen: It seems it works based on how hard the character is to kill then, which is strange but I don't see any other way to explain it really. Definitely interesting though, always a pleasure to learn about characters that aren't used much!

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Zetsu-San

@thetruebarryallen said:
@fullmetalemprah said:

It varies; it's most common result is death, but that's against a lot of lower-tier/more human characters. The members of the JSA still try to avoid it though because there are no pleasant effects, but some people who've shown some "resistance" would be the following:

• Doctor Mid-Night resisted the death stare because he's blind, but I'm fairly certain it still gave him a heart attack.
  • Shazam wasn't killed by it, but was turned to stone.
  • It forced Captain Atom to Quantum Leap, but didn't kill him.
  • Despero was KO'd but not killed.

The REBIRITH version of Johnny Sorrow seems to be weaker. Harley Quinn stared at his face and was unaffected because she was insane, which was odd.

There's also the fact that he has to turn himself tangible to use the stare, so if you're able to hit him before he can take the mask off then you're good. He tried to do it to Firestorm but Firestorm hit him with a blast to the face and transmuted the mask to tar, which might be another durability showing since JS was able to just reshape his mask.

Johnny Sorrow's ability is basically him being so ugly and hideous that the mind can't fully comprehend it and thus you die. Harley's perception of things was supposed to be just so twisted that she didn't perceive him as something horrible, hence why she didn't die.

I think a lot of characters who are more dark/occult in nature would probably be able to ignore it.

One thing I found disappointing is the fact that the King of Tears didn't seem to have the same attribute as Sorrow.

Avatar image for professorrespect
ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

@mylittlefascist: So he's essentially a more fancy dressed/nerfed version of Ghatanothoa then? lol

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mylittlefascist: So he's essentially a more fancy dressed/nerfed version of Ghatanothoa then? lol

More like Ghatanothoa's servant/herald... Or in the case, "The King of Tears"...

skywalker95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By skywalker95

Nice respect Thread

I wonder who’d win in a Face off (or should I say stare off lol) between him and Ghost rider

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice respect Thread

I wonder who’d win in a Face off between him and Ghost rider

I have a feeling that the rider would feast on Johnny's sins, but what a fun match to think about!

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for firestarlord73194
FireStarLord73194

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He has a feat of catchin them jay Garrick IMP hands

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Avatar image for firestarlord73194
FireStarLord73194

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supermanthor: recurring JSA villain, he was torn apart by some interdimensional device and the entity known as the king of tears formed his new body giving him the abilities he has. Hes a team buster but jay Garrick has an awesome showing against him (Infinite mass punches him)

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice. Such an interesting underrated character

Hypnos0929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How the neck do you look so ugly the Wizard Shazam turns to stone? That's either a next level magical ability or Shazam has never seen something so horrific, and that guy has seen the 7 deadly sins and god knows what else.