Respect Johnny Sorrow
- Name: Johnny Sorrow
- Alias: Johnny Sorrow
- Hometown: N/A
- Team Affiliations: Injustice Society
- Bio: Johnny Sorrow was a silent film actor who resorted to crime after films began recording audio and his career went downhill. In one of his earliest encounters with the JSA the "sub-space prototype" he was using to aid him in his capers was damaged by Sandy, the Golden Boy, who later became sand. Due to the damage he was pulled into a world between worlds known as the Subtle Realm. Here he made a deal with the King of Tears; he would return to Earth as long as he served the KOT and attempted to summon him to Earth. Since his return he has been granted several different abilities.
Table of Contents
- Powers & Abilities
Johnny Sorrow is introduced as an old foe of the JSA despite never having appeared in their classic tales; his origin is told via flashback.
- JSA #18 - The origin of Johnny Sorrow, as told by him. Mentions his initial death, how he got his powers, and how he was a foe of the JSA back in the day.
2.0 Powers & Abilities
Johnny Sorrow has a variety of powers and abilities that were granted to him by the King of Tears, each of those abilities will be shown here.
His primary (and most dangerous) ability is his death stare. If Johnny Sorrow takes off his mask and you see his face it results in death (with some special instances resulting in other effects).
- Secret Origins of Super Villains 80 Page Giant #1 - Kills two guards.
- JSA #18 - Kills his wife on accident.
- JSA #18 - Killed several B-list heroes called the Seven Shadows.
- JLA/JSA: Virtue & Vice - Turned the wizard Shazam into stone.
- JLA/JSA: Virtue & Vice - Exorcises Despero from Lex Luthor's body. KO's Despero.
- JLA/JSA: Virtue & Vice - Forces Captain Atom to Quantum Leap.
- JSA Classified #7 - Kills Ragdoll.
- JSA All Stars #1 - Kills two guards. Their eyes literally explode.
- JSA All Stars #4 - Sees through King Chimera's illusions; makes his eyes explode.
Johnny Sorrow can manipulate and disrupt various energies, including mystical ones.
- JLA/JSA: Virtue & Vice - Manipulates the energies of Alan Scott, Firestorm, Zatanna, Green Lantern, Doctor Fate and Star Girl.
Johnny Sorrow can project illusions and disguise himself.
- JSA All Stars #5/6 - Disguised himself as Atom Smasher to trick Star Girl.
Johnny Sorrow is always intangible, unless he attempts to kill someone via Death Stare, as he must be tangible to remove his mask.
- JSA #10 - Phases through a tesseract vault.
- JSA #18 - Phases through a bolo.
- JSA/JLA: Virtue & Vice - Phases through a punch thrown by Hourman; also phases through various rock walls.
- JSA All Stars #2 - Phases through a punch thrown by Commander Steel.
Johnny Sorrows can levitate/fly.
Despite not having many appearances (~40) Johnny Sorrow is a proven threat. His death glare could harm the likes of the wizard Shazam and Despero which makes him incredibly dangerous and puts him in the higher tiers.
Phasing and Teleportation grant him good defenses and versatility as far as movement goes and his levitation doesn't hurt either, could be a great character to pair with someone like Mirror Master in a tournament.
As always; correct context if you think I got it wrong, provide more feats if I missed anything, be on the lookout for the next Respect Thread.
Thank you all!