Respect Doctor Strange (1970's to 80's Respect Thread)

Avatar image for professorrespect
ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

Edited By ProfessorRespect
No Caption Provided

He got a lot of fodder this decade tbh

Introduction

This is the first proper decade for Strange in terms of actual tangible runs: rather than his 60's stuff which was basically all sharing Strange Tales and then having a small run near the end before being cancelled this decade has him start his legendary 1974 run under Steve Englehart, whom with the power of creativity, patience, and a lot of acid, managed to create a well enduring series that defined the character for years and years to come, even if he was only on the writing table for two years. This is also the decade in which Strange would form The Defenders and would star as one of their main showcases for nearly 50 issues before leaving. He'd still appear semi-regularly but would never become a full time member again. He's been a busy boi here

Astral Projection

Scan 1/2- BFR's Namor across the planet (The Defenders #13)

Scan 1/2- Communicates with Ancient One through mystical barriers (Marvel Premiere #4)

Scan 1/2/3- Counters demons stealing Valkyrie's soul and takes them out (Marvel Team-Up #35)

No Caption Provided

Flies from one planet to the other (The Defenders #29)

Scan 1/2- Makes a living star explode by altering the molecular and chronological aspects of it while tanking the supernova itself in his physical form. And before one makes the assumption, this IS a actual star and not a figure of speech, given how the whole plot involving these guys was about switching places with actual stars, which happens here. (Doctor Strange #27)

Scan 1/2/3- Messes with Dracula by disguising his form to one of which only he can see, which enrages him enough to chase it around for hours (Doctor Strange #14)

No Caption Provided

Seals Ningal into a mystic block (Doctor Strange #37)

Scan 1/2- Ventures through dimensions to rescue someone (The Defenders #41)

Durability (no shields)

Scan 1/2- Takes a direct shot from Wrecker's crowbar despite him not knowing he was going to hit, namely by using his cloak (The Defenders #18)

Scan 1/2- Strange survives the Earth exploding despite being significantly weakened at the time after a exhaustive fight with Mordo merged with Aged Genghis. This is somewhat confusing because of Eternity nonsense involving Nightmare imprisoning him, but considering the Earth was restored back to life afterwards, this feat definitely happened to THAT degree at least (Doctor Strange #12)

Eye of Agamotto

Scan 1/2- Absorbs a necromantic blast from N'Gabthoth, absorbing it into itself (Marvel Premiere #6)

Scan 1/2- Breaks through Nightmare's spells binding Eternity (Doctor Strange #13)

No Caption Provided

Can only be used by those who truly understand it, others like Sliver Dagger, through they can seemingly also use the device, are eventually overwhelmed by stronger hosts (Doctor Strange #5)

No Caption Provided

Detects Surfer hanging around on the outer rim of Earth (Marvel Feature #1)

Scan 1/2- Finds a weak point in a planet and blows it up while Strange tanks the explosion (Marvel Premiere #9)

Scan 1/2- Fools Hulk and Namor into fighting each other (Marvel Feature #1)

Scan 1/2- Informs Nebulon with the entire history of humanity in a instant, overwhelming him (Defenders Annual #1)

Scan 1/2- Overwhelms a empowered Cyrus Black, whom was able to initially beat down Strange fairly convincingly before (Doctor Strange #34)

Scan 1/2- Sees through Nightmare's illusions while in his realm. Should be noted that this was apart of a very concerted effort to drive Strange mad, and that got pretty close to it being reality oof (Marvel Premiere #3)

Scan 1/2- Shrinks himself to the size of a ant to get inside Ancient One's brain (Marvel Premiere #10)

Molecular Manipulation

Scan 1/2- BFR's him and Chondu to a random dimension (The Defenders #31)

Scan 1/2/3- Drains the Loki-induced enchantment from the Wrecking Crew but fails due to Hulk being a idiot and damaging his mystic shield keeping everyone and the surrounding area invisible (The Defenders #18)

No Caption Provided

Freezes Cyrus Black in place and drains his mystical powers (The Defenders #6)

No Caption Provided

Manipulates the molecules of Dagoth and banishes him to a outer realm (Marvel Premiere #7)

No Caption Provided

Removes the power of the Omegatron from some random dude (The Defenders #69)

Scan 1/2- Teleports himself and the Avengers to the Dark Dimension, giving themselves a safe path throughout to Dormammu (Avengers #118)

Mystic Defences

No Caption Provided

Defends from Shuma-Gorath's attack while in the body of the Ancient One (Marvel Premiere #10)

Scan 1/2- Defends himself from Sise-Neg's rampage while amped up on numerous sources, including most of Strange's own magic. (Marvel Premiere #14)

Scan 1/2- Easily breaks through Chondu's ectoplasmic field despite being blindsided, calling the trick "third-rate" by his standards. When he encounters Chondu later in Nighthawk's form, he is easily able to get past his tricks (The Defenders #31)

Scan 1/2- Escapes Death itself by moving within the vestige of Eternity (Doctor Strange #4)

Scan 1/2- Fixes himself after being spilt into a million shards and spilt into two dimensions (Doctor Strange #27)

Scan 1/2- His split second shield is able to tank a planet blowing up right next to him (Marvel Premiere #9)

Scan 1/2- Manages to handle a weakened Dormammu just fine (Marvel Feature #2)

Scan 1/2- Nightmare has to use magical proxies to bypass Strange's mystical defences despite him sleeping at the time (Doctor Strange #34)

Scan 1/2- Survives a big old sneak attack from Umar, through she admits later that she wasn't trying to kill Strange (Doctor Strange #6)

Scan 1/2/3/4- The Avengers can't get past his automatic defences within his Sanctum Sanctorum (Avengers #116)

No Caption Provided

Uses a psycho shield to keep Savage Hulk and Namor away from him (Marvel Feature #1)

Mystical Power

Scan 1/2- Calls upon multiple sources to enhance his own necromancy against N'Gabthoth (Marvel Premiere #6)

No Caption Provided

Clea with Strange's power is able to break through Gaea's prison (Doctor Strange #9)

Scan 1/2- Destroys a bunch of Shuma fodder (Marvel Premiere #8)

No Caption Provided

Easily handles Black Panther and Mantis when serious (Avengers #116b)

Scan 1/2- Fights off Nightmare (Marvel Premiere #3)

Scan 1/2/3- Manages to escape from Satan's hellscape despite being messed with for the whole issue and weakened from Dracula's dark influence (Doctor Strange #16)

Scan 1/2- Merks a very much weakened Nightmare while in his realm (Doctor Strange #13)

Scan 1/2- Overpowers Nebulon after he attempts to fight him back (The Defenders #14)

Scan 3- Nebulon in particular states that it was Strange's powers that overwhelmed his powers (The Defenders #34)

Scan 1/2- Resists Kathulos's soul manipulation and targets his weakness (Marvel Premiere #8)

No Caption Provided

Stuns Xemnu with a blast (Marvel Feature #3)

No Caption Provided

Traps Hulk in the Crimson Bands (The Defenders #13)

Scan 1/2- Uses the energies of Master Order and Lord Chaos to deal with In-Betweener (Doctor Strange #28)

Scan 1/2/3/4- While extremely weakened, fights off Sligguth (Marvel Premiere #5)

Skill

No Caption Provided

Manages to hold his own against Mantis (Avengers #116b)

Speed

No Caption Provided

Catches Whizzer before he can start moving (Giant-Size Defenders #4)

No Caption Provided

Dodges around Doctor Spectrum (The Defenders #13)

No Caption Provided

Has split-second reactions according to hyperbolism (The Defenders #27)

Scan 1/2- Moves in light speed to reach Earth from a distant planet in four days (Marvel Premiere #9)

No Caption Provided

Turns guns harmless before they can fire (Defenders Annual #1)

Strength

Scan 1/2- One shots robo Korvac in close quarters (Giant-Size Defenders #3)

Scan 1/2- KO's Xander despite the latter being mystically stronger than him (Doctor Strange #20)

Telepathy

Scan 1/2/3- Bypasses the defences of Shuma-Gorath and manages to kill the Ancient One's mind (Marvel Premiere #10)

No Caption Provided

Catches Mastermind out with illusions of himself (The Defenders #15)

No Caption Provided

Does dat Jedi mind trick (The Defenders #36)

No Caption Provided

Erases some fodder's memory of the night (Marvel Premiere #3)

Scan 1/2- Fools Dagoth with a illusion of his dead body (Marvel Premiere #7)

No Caption Provided

Protects people from Nebulon's mind control (The Defenders #34)

Scan 1/2- Puts Hulk in a trance after a distraction (The Defenders #8)

Scan 1/2/3- Takes a full assault from Umar mentally and recovers into his own offence, but is defeated after a minion with borrowed power ambushes him (Doctor Strange #7)

Scan 1/2- Uses illusions to fool Mordo while weakened (Marvel Premiere #13)

Time Manipulation

No Caption Provided

Freezes Clea after using his astral form to distract her (Doctor Strange #22)

Scan 1/2- Goes back to 1618 (Doctor Strange #17)

Scan 1/2- Reverses time to stop the Earth from crumbling, but feels all of the damage of such a event (Doctor Strange #19)

No Caption Provided

Teleports a ship to the future (well, this "future" is a alt verse but still) (The Defenders #26)

Scan 1/2- Traps Omegatron within a eternity to prevent him counting down (Marvel Feature #1)

Scan 3/4- Strange's powers are particularly strained after a certain encounter, which made the Omegatron spell weaker. Even then, it takes multiple months for the counter to reach the end despite it only being 8 seconds away, with it being stated that the Omegatron views a singular second as a whole month of real life time, so it was still extremely powerful (Defenders #1)

Conclusion

This Strange is a lot better than the 60's one, with more actualised feats and some great physical showings in general. Very versatile as expected, but also having a lot of defences and ways to get around hax as well.

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

BoutaTakeAnL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kangconquers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Kangconquers

One of the few "planet busters" ever to you know...actually bust a planet. But you know the old adage: 9/10ths of planet busting is scaling.

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 takenstew22  Moderator

Strange during this time had some of the best art I've ever seen in classic comics. Frank Brunner is a GOAT.

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 takenstew22  Moderator

One of the few "planet busters" ever to you know...actually bust a planet. But you know the old adage: 9/10ths of planet busting is scaling.

To be fair he only busted the core. The star busting one is good tho.

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boutatakeanl: @koays: Thank

@kangconquers said:

That would still class as planet busting to certain lads.

Strange during this time had some of the best art I've ever seen in classic comics. Frank Brunner is a GOAT.

Also true.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@takenstew22 said:
@kangconquers said:

If that’s in reference to our conversation, I think there’s a pretty big difference between Strange explicitly searching the core for a weakpoint to exploit, and Thanos straight up smashing Thane all the way through a planet and the planet exploding as a result.

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@professorrespect said:

@takenstew22 said:
@kangconquers said:

If that’s in reference to our conversation, I think there’s a pretty big difference between Strange explicitly searching the core for a weakpoint to exploit, and Thanos straight up smashing Thane all the way through a planet and the planet exploding as a result.

Nah you wrong gg

del_torro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another banger

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

terry2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Nice thread. He has a lot of feats from the last one. He was used a lot in this area. Going up against some heavy hitters.

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice thread. He has a lot of feats from the last one. He was used a lot in this area. Going up against some heavy hitters.

Very true!

Avatar image for sar_annihilator
SAR_Annihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't been on again for a while but one thing I know every time I make a return is Professor having them great RT's available. Nice. This variation of Dr. Strange is by far the best one. If you ask me, I feel it to be a whole of a lot better than even Modern Strange (But thats just me). When people think of Dr. Strange, I think we can admit that like 85-90% have this version on mind.

killerboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't been on again for a while but one thing I know every time I make a return is Professor having them great RT's available. Nice. This variation of Dr. Strange is by far the best one. If you ask me, I feel it to be a whole of a lot better than even Modern Strange (But thats just me). When people think of Dr. Strange, I think we can admit that like 85-90% have this version on mind.

I don't think there's much of a difference between this and more contemporary forms unless he's exclusively nerfed in some way.

@professorrespect: Keep going, I have the most scans for 2010s era Strange.

There's already one out there that covers most of that era in particular.

SirDragonFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Professor's IQ is comparable to the size of his respect threads

jk, but really if he had more feats this would have been a compliment

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Professor's IQ is comparable to the size of his respect threads

jk, but really if he had more feats this would have been a compliment

smh

kaijuking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@professorrespect: question, unless I missed it. Ever had done a Solomon Grundy thread?

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@professorrespect: question, unless I missed it. Ever had done a Solomon Grundy thread?

Was already done pretty well by someone else, so I figured there wouldn't be any point of going over stuff already traversed.

kaijuking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ProfessorRespect
@kaijuking said:

@professorrespect: https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/gen-discussion-1/respect-thread-solomon-grundy-1993162/ This one? I love TBA, but he has no scans in his RS's as detailed as they are. Thought you could do one with scans like your format.

Well yeah, Barry's RT's always had missing shit in them lol, even he admitted that to me a good few times. I just feel that there's nothing significant that I could fill in (unlike say, his General RT) me redoing the whole thing in scans would just feel like me taking his imgur links and making them into physical scans lol

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ProfessorRespect

Le bump

Avatar image for deactivated-6492589c59640
deactivated-6492589c59640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@professorrespect: Nice RT. Strange has always been a cool character to me.

One suggestion, how about The Forgiven (616)?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@professorrespect: Or maybe a member from the Legion of Monsters. Maybe Shiklah, Morbius, Zombie, N'Kantu the Living Mummy etc.?

Also, one for Dracula as well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@professorrespect: Nice RT. Strange has always been a cool character to me.

One suggestion, how about The Forgiven (616)?

Sound like fodder in all fairness.

@professorrespect: Or maybe a member from the Legion of Monsters. Maybe Shiklah, Morbius, Zombie, N'Kantu the Living Mummy etc.?

Also, one for Dracula as well.

Maybe, I might get a bit spooked out to continue tho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts