Follow

Doctor Strange

Character » Doctor Strange appears in 4904 issues.

Dr. Stephen Strange was once a gifted but egotistical surgeon who sought out the Ancient One to heal his hands after they were wounded in a car accident. Instead, the Ancient One trained him to become Master of the Mystic Arts and the Sorcerer Supreme of Earth.

Respect Doctor Strange (Marvel 616) (Mark Waid, 2019 - 2021)

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By WastelandMan

Doctor Strange, The Sorcerer Supreme

No Caption Provided

Magic in the Marvel universe in recent years has experienced several major events and upheavals which has led to a bit of restructuring in the magic of the Marvel universe as well as Strange's own. This respect thread focuses on the feats of the current incarnation of Strange under Mark Waid, but all his past feats still apply since this version is still the canon 616 version. Seeing as how Waid's current run is coming to an end, I'd figure this wold be a good time to make this as what will hopefully be a simple concise update for fellow comic fans who may be interested in what's been going on with Strange and his current situation.

I will not be including feats from flashbacks to Strange's past or ones involving the Eye of Agamotto (might add that later).

The Story So Far....

After The Last Days of Magic event and the invasion of the scientific force known as the Empirikul, magic had practically died in the multiverse and was on a slow path to recovery. This left Doctor Strange at his weakest, forced to rely mainly on magical trinkets and weapons for a time. Eventually, Strange would replenish his power and then some after pleading with Asgaard's world tree, Yggdrasil. He would later use his new power in order to restore Las Vegas and resurrect all who had died when it was destroyed during the events of Secret Empire. These actions would have unforeseen consequences, and Strange would lose his magic once again as a result of this and his other recent abuses of magic. Turning his sight to the stars, Strange would obtain a space ship from Tony Stark in order to explore space and seek out new sources of magic to hopefully revitalize his own.

Source Key

• CV3 = Champions Volume 3
    • DrSV1 = Dr. Strange Volume 1
    • DSV5 = Doctor Strange Volume 5
    • IC = Infinity Countdown
    • SAcV1 = Strange Academy Volume 1
    • SSMV2 = Superior Spider-Man Volume 2
    • TV5 = Thor Volume 5
    • TASMV5 = The Amazing Spider-Man Volume 5
    • WotR = War of the Realms
    • WotRWS = War of the Realms: War Scrolls

Notes:

Spells and Magic

During Strange's journey across space, he would discover and absorb new sources of magic, seek out mystical artifacts, and learn new forms of alien sorcery. At one point, Strange encounters Eoffren the Dwarf, one of Nidavellir's finest craftsmen, who would grant Strange his own magical forge and train him to craft his own magical gear and weaponry. With his magic restored and the knowledge and talents he's obtained from his journey across space, Strange reached new heights of his sorcerous power to the point where he no longer relies on paying the cost of magic for his spells. Strange's abilities had progressed so greatly that he was unsure whether or not he had surpassed Dromammu who himself shared his uncertainty.

General Showings of Power:

Spells and Magic:

Shields:

Telepathy/Mental Magic:

Speed and Senses:

Durability (Personal Shields)/Endurance:

Forging:

My Other Respect Threads

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

King-Ragnar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By King-Ragnar

Neat RT.

jrupert1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jrupert1

Great job here friend. Plus I might add it's a much needed respect thread, because people still don't seem to understand "current Strange." Perhaps this would be useful. :)

On a side note, I think it's worth referencing that when Strange first restrained Galactus and lost concentration when Galactus screamed it was also in part to him attempting two spells on him at once (as he explains the difficulty of the task), simultaneously binding him and trying to banish him. Also when Clea came she reinforced his binding spell freeing him up to only having to focus on one. There's no direct reference to any help with the banishing spell, only afterwards.

Also seems a couple links are broken. One is of him surviving the collapsing dimension (after Galactus leaves) and the other is in the spells and magic section of him stitching his wounds (although that feat was previously covered in another section).

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neat RT.

Thanks!

Amazing work, friend!

I do think you should add Strange reconstructing the universe and it's history, though. I know some people say that his powers were amped by the abstracts, but it's a narrative which doesn't sustain itself since Strange simply asked for permission. They only gave him the knowledge of the events to shape, but not the tools to model it.

I'm in the same camp as you that Strange recreated the universe as I agree it doesn't make sense for the remaining abstracts to randomly grant him that power plus LT has given others "permission" to use their powers. I just didn't add it because it might be too contentious a instance but I may very well add it eventually.

And thanks!

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jrupert1:

Thanks!

Yeah all the misconceptions about his current power levels was one of the reasons for making this. That’s a really good point about that instance with Galactus, I’ll update that and fix those links.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f5be9e305ddd
    deactivated-5f5be9e305ddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You deserve some credit for this beautiful work of art

Soratoumiga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Excellent work, I also like the layout.

KevinFeige

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Waids run isn't ending

It's just relaunching

More like part 2

Avatar image for professorrespect
    ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By ProfessorRespect

Nice work with this, the difference between Strange's power levels is something that is usually not defined at all when looking at his feats, which has caused a lot of confusion when drawing a distinction between "Classic" and current versions of the character.

It's good to see something that properly goes into his capabilities at the moment.

Toratorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice RT. Btw, for how long did the whole "magic is no more" thing last?

jrupert1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jrupert1

@professorrespect said:

Nice work with this, the difference between Strange's power levels is something that is usually not defined at all when looking at his feats, which has caused a lot of confusion when drawing a distinction between "Classic" and current versions of the character.

It's good to see something that properly goes into his capabilities at the moment.

There were really two factors. For one he didn't have his own series and there would be a gap of over 19 years between his last and next one. It's not just that a character's series is where you often find their best feats but there stopped being a current frame of reference, and a lot of writers either do no research or poor research. Each time he was used the writer didn't have any boundaries and he was whatever they wanted for the story (from this came more than a change in ability but also change in his personality and behavior). He sort of became a gimmick, either exposition or there to magic a problem. Though generally being that he had been rendered a guest in others stories the scope of what they would have him affect had to be limited (for drama), even if it's something within his abilities. The infamous crashing airplane comes to mind as one of the most ridiculous. Which brings me to Bendis, he sort of became the most prominent writer of the character for a time or at least the new reference point for others. And for the longest time he didn't even care for him (probably because all he saw was the gimmick, something he once talked about when it came to magic).

Bendis can often be a topic onto itself but to cut it short this comes to the second factor, finding ways to depower him within the story. This isn't something that hasn't been done but it was always done with more tact. Here they knew the end result was to get him less powerful, so they had to come up with ways for that to happen. How? Well we'll have him start messing up. This meant he started to look less competent leading up to it and involved all sort of out-of-character moments.

But as you know this is a generalization, there were still stories where the writer was not like what I listed. Like how Straczynski handled him in his Spider-Man run, which not only had good feats but even got his personality right. People tend to focus on that other stuff, and either forget or don't know that those good showings still existed. It was just an inconsistency spawned from those two factors.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fixed the links.

You deserve some credit for this beautiful work of art

Excellent work, I also like the layout.

Thanks!

Waids run isn't ending

It's just relaunching

More like part 2

I'm aware which Is why I referenced his "current" run. I'll be adding whatever feats he may have in that series as well since it's a direct continuation of that run.

I agree it seems in general people aren't certain of his current powerlevels especially with how much has been going on with the character so hopefully this thread can be used to help put things in perspectives. And thanks, the Vine really needs more respect thread with context like yours.

@toratorn said:

Nice RT. Btw, for how long did the whole "magic is no more" thing last?

It lasted most of Jason Aaron's run on Strange until magic was restored by Loki in Doctor Strange Vol. 1 #385 .

fabricolage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome work! Never knew he was this vast.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome work! Never knew he was this vast.

Yeah, like with a lot of long running character he has a pretty complex history especially because of the nature of his character. Also thanks!

Battle123axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this is a wonderful RT

Avatar image for deactivated-6025c60aa67c8
    deactivated-6025c60aa67c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hyoname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CapSid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can anybody explain me why people still thinks he was weakened lot and vulnerable to street level attacks??he's got senses and still he's got autoshields and tanked attacks from galactus and without shiels he survived massive attacks that could instantly kill normal human. ?

CapSid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can anybody explain me why people still thinks he was weakened lot and vulnerable to street level attacks??he's got senses and still he's got autoshields and tanked attacks from galactus and without shiels he survived massive attacks that could instantly kill normal human. ?

HoneyGlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice work.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.