Avatar image for diarrhearegatta
Posted by DiarrheaRegatta (4627 posts) - - Show Bio
#
#

People must learn to hate. I will be their teacher.

Introduction

Most villains have a quality that makes the reader like them. Some are their humour, with the likes of Loki, while some are liked for their cool design and demeanour, like Magneto or Doctor Doom. Some for their clever wit (Lex Luthor, The Shade) and others for simply being badass, like Thanos.

Cassandra has none of those. She's a special kind of villain that is utterly grotesque in everything she does, and isn't painted as someone who you love to hate, like most villains. She's written as simply being a horrible person with nothing positive about her, and everything she does isn't played for laughs.

Nova was born as the twin sister of Charles Xavier, and was killed while in the womb with her twin (long story, there was a pretty brutal fight) and she spent the last 40 years thinking and rebuilding her body from scratch. Since then, she's done nothing but try and kill as many mutants as possible in the worst of ways, regardless of context. She eventually ended up killing millions of mutants in a mass genocide, annihilating the entire nation of Genosha.

Even after that, she kept going. Basically the dark reflection of all of Xavier's values.

She's able to easily tangle with Omega level mutants with ease, and is physically immortal, as her Mummudrai self is nothing more than a spirit and thus has to be trapped or contained somewhere in order to stop her.

Feats here will be simple- Telepathy being the main category.

Telepathy

No Caption Provided

Blocks the city of Los Angeles using her TP and keeps Psylocke from bypassing that field. (Uncanny X-Force #13)

No Caption Provided

Uses TP to turn Beast feral. Nova did this while also using her TP to hide herself from the telepaths in and around the mansion at the time. (New X-Men #117)

No Caption Provided

Uses TP to control Rachel Gray from countries away. (X-Men Red #8)

No Caption Provided

Uses TP to become invisible from other people. (X-Men Red #3)

No Caption Provided

Can semi block Spiral's teleportation. (Uncanny X-Force #15)

No Caption Provided

Can use the bodies of people who died and uses multiple of them freely. (E Is For Extinction #4)

No Caption Provided

Casually TP's Lilandra into trying to die. (New X-Men #125)

No Caption Provided

Controls a bunch of people while fighting other people using her TP. (New X-Men #126)

No Caption Provided

Controls and makes a person's head blow up from range. (X-Men-Red #1)

No Caption Provided

Controls Forge using telepathy. (X-Men Red #6)

No Caption Provided

Beats Gladator just by taunting him and taking advantage of his mental state This isn't even telepathy, I just fought it was cool. (New X-Men #126)

No Caption Provided

Emma can't get through her strange psychic defences (X-Men #121)

No Caption Provided

Knocks out Spiral using TP. (Uncanny X-Force #13)

No Caption Provided

Slightly weakened Jean and Charles can't get a hold on her mind, knocks them back with a telepathic blast. (New X-Men #116)

No Caption Provided

Manages to bypass Jean's defences while she's distracted, showing her skill in finding telepathic weaknesses in people. (X-Men Red #8)

No Caption Provided

Nova boasts about Emma not having a chance against her. (Astonishing X-Men #13)

No Caption Provided

Controls all of Genosha (X-Men Red #10)

No Caption Provided

Possessed Bishop and made him time travel to the past. (Uncanny X-Force #5)

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Stomps Xavier in TP so hard he can't even get a thought in. This was while he was using a device that amplified his TP. (New X-Men #114)

No Caption Provided

Telepathically takes out Cyclops. (New X-Men #126)

No Caption Provided

Takes control of Phoenix Jean Gray while Xavier was trying to fight Nova telepathically. (E Is For Extinction #4)

No Caption Provided

Manages to slowly manipulate Emma Frost with a tiny piece of herself while the latter was transferring Nova's mind. (Astonishing X-Men #18)

Telekinesis

No Caption Provided

Can fly pretty fast using TK. (X-Men Red #11).

No Caption Provided

Annihilates a hallway with TK. (X-Men Red #11)

No Caption Provided

Cuts Logan's arm down to the metal. (New X-Men #116)

No Caption Provided

Twists someone's neck using TK. (X-Men Red #3)

No Caption Provided

Summons a giant rock elemental. (Uncanny X-Force #14)

No Caption Provided

TK's Psylocke (Uncanny X-Force #13).

No Caption Provided

Uses TK swords to beat Bishop and Storm before they can do anything. (Uncanny X-Force #15)

Genetic Ability

No Caption Provided

Can consciously copy people's DNA over a long period of time, as well as phase through people to kill them. (New X-Men #115)

No Caption Provided

Cyclops's blast does nothing to her body. (New X-Men #116)

No Caption Provided

Databook explains her DNA abilities, and how she can use them. (X-Men- Messiah Complex Mutant Files)

No Caption Provided

Genetically modifies her body to die quicker in anticipation for Xavier taking control of her body (New X-Men #122)

No Caption Provided

Cyclops's optic blast does nothing. (New X-Men #125)

No Caption Provided

Has a passive healing ability that allows her to heal from injury pretty fast. (New X-Men #116)

No Caption Provided

Phases through Wolverine's claws and a wall. (New X-Men #116)

No Caption Provided

Heals from having her neck snapped in seconds. (New X-Men #116)

Nanite Sentinels

No Caption Provided

Nanite is found in the brain and is very hard to take out. (X-Men Red #4)

No Caption Provided

Sentinels are able to take over people's brains, making normal people to unrelenting mutant hunters. If a mutant has one, they may try to kill themselves as well as whoever is around them. ( X-Men Red #4)

No Caption Provided

The Nano Sentinels are able to fly around and easily enter people's bodies and control them in seconds. ( X-Men Red #4)

No Caption Provided

With Forge, produces Nano Sentinel swarms that are large enough to infect entire cities. (X-Men Red #8)

Conclusion

She's decent, lol

Seriously, her TP and other abilities easily make her a high tier threat and beyond. In terms of pure mental strength, she has very few equals, and even less dudes who could be considered superior to her. Very dangerous, and a focused threat against anyone who she just doesn't like.

#3 Posted by phisigmatau (1795 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by WollfMyth209 (16490 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice stuff.

#5 Posted by cosmic_reign (3496 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice work!

#6 Posted by DiarrheaRegatta (4627 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by del_torro (3628 posts) - - Show Bio

This is great, love that Cassandra Nova finally gets a respect thread.

Some corrections Though. E is Extinction isn't a 616 book, it's a what if? Book, and the Cassandra Nova in Uncanny X-Force is from another universe.

#9 Edited by DiarrheaRegatta (4627 posts) - - Show Bio

@del_torro said:

Some corrections Though. E is Extinction isn't a 616 book, it's a what if? Book, and the Cassandra Nova in Uncanny X-Force is from another universe.

Funnily enough, I had my suspicions that wasn't a canon story when reading, but I couldn't find anything concrete on that. The feats used weren't that specific anyway (telepaths taking control of dead bodies is usually a pretty generic ability around the more adept individuals) but it is still a warranted correction nonetheless.

That Nova seems to have the same abilities and gimmick as her so any feats from her can be considered questionable as they seem to be on the same power level.

I'm glad you enjoyed it through. I thought it was crazy that Cassandra didn't have a RT on the internet anywhere, so I thought I should fix that.

#10 Posted by Koays (11253 posts) - - Show Bio

Solid work. I like it.

I'd add that in the instance from red where she "gets past Jean's defenses" and where she mind rapes Xavier shes actually infiltrating 2 super advanced versions of Cerebro. Shes the only telepath to ever sense someone reaching out around the world with cerebro and to attack them through it.

#11 Edited by PyroFN (6178 posts) - - Show Bio

@diarrhearegatta: @koays: @del_torro: Should we include Secret Wars feats? Cause that was all retconned by Molecule Man, no? And it is made up of different alternate realities on one world, no? I’m just asking.

#12 Posted by Stormdriven (17852 posts) - - Show Bio

You say she’s not funny, but turning Wolverine into a total weenie was hilarious

#13 Edited by PyroFN (6178 posts) - - Show Bio

@diarrhearegatta: Nice work btw. Never knew that Nova wasn’t a psychic originally, but rather manipulated her DNA to copy Charles. Also, how do fetuses remember all this stuff, let alone learn the capacity to kill? Eh, comic books.

#14 Posted by Koays (11253 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrofn: No. Its from an alternate version of the timeline. For all we know the E is Extinction and X-Force Nova's fought Galactus and got a huge power up or time traveled and learned how to amp her powers from Odin. We can't consider them the same person.

#15 Edited by DiarrheaRegatta (4627 posts) - - Show Bio

@stormdriven said:

You say she’s not funny, but turning Wolverine into a total weenie was hilarious

I actually was gonna include that but I figured out that wasn't Nova who did that- it was Emma. Granted, she was heavily under Nova's subconscious suggestion at that point, but Nova never actually did that to him, thus not making it a legit feat. Besides from that through, Cassandra is one of the most straight played villains in X-Men.

@pyrofn Yeah, it's funny how Charles in his first seconds of consciousness is able to use his telepathic powers easily and somehow remember that, lol. Mummudrai in general can copy the DNA of whoever they are fighting, and Cassandra was lucky enough to have the genetic potential of Xavier to work off, on top of her natural abilities.

#16 Posted by PyroFN (6178 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays: I agree. Might want to fix that @diarrhearegatta. Still a good list.

#17 Posted by phisigmatau (1795 posts) - - Show Bio

@diarrhearegatta:
is there a way to collect the respect threads? I'd like to cataloged them somehow..

#18 Edited by DiarrheaRegatta (4627 posts) - - Show Bio

@phisigmatau said:

@diarrhearegatta:

is there a way to collect the respect threads? I'd like to cataloged them somehow..

I have every RT I've ever made listed in the "About Me" section of my user page.

In terms of a thread containing RT's on specific characters (like, say, a collection of them on Avengers members, for instance) then that's also a possibility, if you had enough to warrant making it.

#19 Posted by phisigmatau (1795 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Posted by ElPendejo (1599 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (16114 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice work, I love Cassandra Nova and it's a treat any time she appears on a book, you know things are serious when she shows up, she is one of those intimidating villains that just with their prescence makes you feel threatened.

#22 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (16114 posts) - - Show Bio

E is for Extinction was Grant Morrison's first arc on "New X-Men".....am I right ? So why is it not canon ? All of that run took place on 616 continuity except for the very last arc which took place in the future.

#23 Edited by DiarrheaRegatta (4627 posts) - - Show Bio

@thor_parker82 said:
@del_torro said:

E is for Extinction was Grant Morrison's first arc on "New X-Men".....am I right ? So why is it not canon ? All of that run took place on 616 continuity except for the very last arc which took place in the future.

Yes, but there was also a Secret Wars tie in comic with the same name, which is essentially a What If comic in which Morrison's story goes a different way.

Also thanks for the compliment.

#24 Edited by Thor_Parker82 (16114 posts) - - Show Bio

@thor_parker82 said:
@del_torro said:

Yes, but there was also a Secret Wars tie in comic with the same name, which is essentially a What If comic in which Morrison's story goes a different way.

Also thanks for the compliment.

Oh, I thought you were talking about the one written by Grant Morrison.

And no problem :)

#25 Posted by Fabricolage (1914 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice! Nova's awesome!

#26 Posted by Aqualion0 (1661 posts) - - Show Bio

Well done.