#1 Edited by ArkhamAsylum3 (2000 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

"I am sorry too." "Sorry I will never know him ... but he will know why I died and I hope he will understand. I was trying to make a world in which he could he could live a happier life."

-Remus Lupin on why he went to Hogwarts to fight: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows page 561

Opener

I've created this thread because I belive Lupin is sometimes lowballed with people saying he doesn't have feats or that he is inferior to other top tier duelists such as Kingsley. I am going to try to crush these arguements as best I can. To do this I'm going to split my arguements up into sections. The sections will be Dueling Ability, Academic/ Magical Achievments, Statements of the characters abilities and Physical Ablities. I will also include a background section but it most likely won't contain anything you don't already know.

Note: This is a books only RT as movie characters don't have much in the way of feats.

Note: For everything I say evidence will be posted below in the form of a quote.

Background

Remus John Lupin was born on the 10th March 1960 and was bitten at the age of 4 by the werewolf Fenrir Greyback. Remus spent much of his life in isolation and solitude as because of his condition he was not allowed to play with other children as a child. He was alone up until he came to Hogwarts. He was then befriended by James Potter and Sirius Black. Unfortunately his time with his school friends was short lived due to the outbreak of the first wizarding war. As soon as there school years were over they immediately joined up with the Order of the Phoenix. This led to the deaths of James and Lily, the imprisonment of Sirius and the supposed death of Pettigrew. From then on Remus spent the next 13 years of his life alone trying to hide his condition until he came to Hogwarts to teach Defence Against The Dark Arts. After this he was no longer alone as he would meet Harry and the Second Wizarding War would break out causing him to meet Tonks who he would marry and have a son with. Unfortunately he would meet his demise at the hands of Antonin Dolohov in the Battle of Hogwarts.

Dueling Abilities

Lupin was a very skilled duelist as was shown in the battles he participated in. Unfortunately quite a few people don't seem to think he has feats. The first battle Lupin participated in was The Battle of the Department of Mysteries.

"(Then high above them, two more doors burst open and five more people sprinted into the room: Sirius, Lupin, Moody, Tonks and Kingsley.)"

Credit: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix page 706

During the battle Lupin fought several members of Voldemort's inner circle. We know this because if you count from the first two quotes below you'll count 6 Death Eaters (there were 10 Death Eaters left when the Order of the Phoenix arrived) which means Lupin was dueling one because we know three Death Eaters were taken out by the Order of the Phoenix's first attack before they could react. We know this because Lucius isn't seen for most of the battle battle and Tonks fired a stunner at him at the start so we must assume it hit. We also know two other Death Eaters were taken out as two of them fire stunners at Harry and Sirius later in the battle which must mean they'd only just woke up as if they had been awake the whole battle they'd be helping Rookwood fight Kingsley, Bellatrix fight Tonks, Dolohov fight Mad-Eye ect ect.

"(The man was pressing so tightly on Harry's windpipe that he could not breathe. Through watering eyes he saw Sirius dueling with a Death Eater some ten feet away; Kingsley was fighting two at once; Tonks, still halfway up the tired seats, was firing spells down at Bellatrix.)"

Credit: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix page 707

"(Harry's foot made contact with something round and hard and he slipped. For a moment he thought he had dropped the prophecy, but then he saw Moody's magical eye spinning away across the floor. Its owner was lying on his side, bleeding from the head, and his attacker was now bearing down upon Harry and Neville: Dolohov, his long pale face twisted with glee.)"

Credit: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix pages 707 and 708

"("You see, there are ten of us and only one of you.")

Credit: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix page 705

"(Malfoy turned, and raised his wand, but Tonks had already sent a stunning spell right at him.)"

Credit: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix page 706

"("Nice one!" shouted Sirius, forcing Harry's head down as a pair of Stunning Spells flew twowards them.)"

Credit: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix page 708

Lupin also took down two more Death Eaters with minimum effort as you have to ask the question as to what the Death Eaters mentioned in the quote above did after firing spells at Harry and Sirius. Well the answer to that is one of them continues to fire spells at Harry and Sirius and then when Sirius goes to duel Bellatrix the Death Eater fires spells at Harry and Neville and based on the fact that Kingsley was still dueling Rookwood, Tonks and Mad-Eye were down and Sirius was dueling Bellatrix we have to assume the other started to duel Lupin. Lupin obviously made short work of the Death Eater as a few seconds later the other Death Eater stopped firing spells at Harry and Neville as he was most likely blindsided and stunned by Lupin while doing this.

"(Harry's foot made contact with something round and hard and he slipped. For a moment he thought he had dropped the prophecy, but then he saw Moody's magical eye spinning away across the floor. Its owner was lying on his side, bleeding from the head, and his attacker was now bearing down upon Harry and Neville: Dolohov, his long pale face twisted with glee.)"

Credit: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix pages 707 and 708

"(Across the room Harry saw Tonks fall from halfway up the stone steps.)"

Credit Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix page 708

"("Nice one!" shouted Sirius, forcing Harry's head down as a pair of Stunning Spells flew towards them.)"

"(They both ducked again; a jet of green light had narrowly missed Sirius.)"

"("Harry, take the prophecy, grab Neville and run!" Sirius yelled, dashing to meet Bellatrix.)"

"(Kingsley swayed across his field of vision, battling with the pockmarked and no longer masked Rookwood; another jet of green light flew over Harry's head as he launched himself towards Neville.)"

After beating one Death Eater, stomping another and taking another by surprise and managing to subdue him he then went to take on the Death Eaters leader Lucius Malfoy. Even though we only see the start of the duel we know Lupin won as he later shows up to hold Harry back from the veil when Sirius died.

"(We need to organise! We'll split into pairs and search.)"

Credit: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix page 695

"(Malfoy aimed his wand at Harry and Neville, again but before he could draw breath to strike, Lupin had jumped between them.)"

Credit: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix page 709

"(But as he reached the ground and sprinted towards the dias, Lupin grabbed Harry around the chest, holding him back.)"

Credit: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix page 711

So basically Lupin manged to take out 4 members of Voldemort's inner circle including the battle commander and was the last man standing during the battle as all the other members of the Order of the Phoenix were taken out.

The second battle Lupin participated in was the Battle of the Lightning Struck Tower in which he fought and defeated a Death Eater. We know this because we see him dueling a Death Eater and he is alive after so he must have won.

"(Professor McGonagall and Lupin, each of whom was battling a separate Death Eater.)"

Credit: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince page 558

"(Everyone's up there, Ron and Hermione and Lupin and everyone.)"

Credit: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince page 570

The next battle Lupin participated in was the Battle of London in which he fought off several Death Eaters and managed to keep an injuired George on his broom while facing the Death Eaters.

"(I wish I could say I payed him back in kind, but it was all I could do to keep George on the broom after he was injuired, he was losing so much blood.)"

Credit: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows page 66

The final battle Lupin participated in was the Battle of Hogwarts in which he led a group of fighters into the grounds and duelled Dolohov but lost.

Note: It is later noted on Pottermore that Remus lost only because he was out of his prime and no longer in good condition. This heavily implies he could have baten Dolohov had he been in his prime.

"("Meanwhile, Remus," he indicated Lupin, "Arthur," he pointed towards Mr Weasley, sitting at the Gryffindor table, "and I will take groups into the grounds.)"

Credit: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows page 491

"("Have you seen Remus?" Tonks called after him. "He was dueling Dolohov," shouted Aberforth.)"

Credit: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows page 503

"(Having survived numerous encounters with Death Eaters and fought his way skillfully and bravely out of many tight corners, Remus Lupin met his end at the hands of Antonin Dolohov, one of the longest-serving, most devoted and sadistic of all Voldemort’s Death Eaters. Remus was no longer in prime fighting condition when he rushed to join the fight. Months of inactivity, using mostly spells of concealment and protection, had blunted his duelling capabilities, and when he ran up against a dueller of Dolohov’s skill, now battle-hardened after months of killing and maiming, his reactions were too slow.)"

Credit: Remus Lupin-Pottermore

So basically Lupin is a top tier duelist having defeated multiple members of Voldemort's inner circle including Lucius Malfoy in both The Battle of the Department of Mysteries and The Battle of the Lightning Struck Tower. Also having held off Death Eaters in the Battle of London while keeping an injuired George on his broom and surviving throughout all the battles without getting knocked out once besides The Battle of Hogwarts only meeting his end while fighting Dolohov because he was no longer in prime fighting condition which implies his superiority to Dolohov.

Physical Abilities

Despite his appearance Remus Lupin has shown to be more than physically able as during Deathly Hallows despite no longer being in prime fighting condition he managed to react and draw his wand faster than Harry (before time Harry's hand had reached his pocket Lupin had jinxed him).

"(The stranger was wearing an extremely shabby set of wizard's robes which had been darned in several places. He looked ill and exhausted. Though he seemed quite young, his light-brown hair was flecked with grey.)"

Credit: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban page 59

"(Remus Lupin stood nearest to him. Though still quite young, Lupin looked tired and rather ill; he had more grey hairs than when Harry had last said goodbye to him and his robes were more patched and shabbier than ever.)"

Credit: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix page 47

"(Meanwhile Remus Lupin, who was thinner and more ragged-looking than ever, was sitting beside the fire.)"

Credit: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince pages 309 and 310

"(Lupin, greyer, more lined.)"

Credit: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows page 44

"(Having survived numerous encounters with Death Eaters and fought his way skillfully and bravely out of many tight corners, Remus Lupin met his end at the hands of Antonin Dolohov, one of the longest-serving, most devoted and sadistic of all Voldemort’s Death Eaters. Remus was no longer in prime fighting condition when he rushed to join the fight. Months of inactivity, using mostly spells of concealment and protection, had blunted his duelling capabilities, and when he ran up against a dueller of Dolohov’s skill, now battle-hardened after months of killing and maiming, his reactions were too slow.)"

"(Lupin drew his wand so fast that Harry had barely reached for his own; there was a loud bang and he felt himself flying backwards as if punched.)"

Credit: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows page 176

Magical Abilities/Academic Achievements

As far as magical abilities go Lupin is known as one of the creators of the Marauder's Map and has been shown to be able to perform wandless magic.

"(There was a soft, crackling noise, and a shivering light filled the compartment. Professor Lupin appeared to be holding a handful of flames. They illuminated his tired, gray face, but his eyes looked alert and wary.)"

Credit: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban page 65

"(I am Remus John Lupin, werewolf sometimes known as Moony, one of the four creators of the Marauder's map, married to Nymphadora, usually known as Tonks, and I taught you how to produce a Patronus, Harry, which takes the form of a stag.)"

Credit: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows page 168

Statements of the characters magical abilities

Lupin was shown to not be quite as skilled magically as Sirius and James but he was still shown to be gifted. He was stated by his students and by Pottermore to be an excellent Defence against the Dark Arts teacher better than all the others and to be incredibly gifted with his knowledge of it.

"(At Hogwarts, Remus revealed himself to be a gifted teacher, with a rare flair for his own subject and a profound understanding of his pupils.)"

"("If you mean Professor Lupin," piped up Dean angrily, "he was the best we ever-")"

Credit: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix page 219

No Caption Provided

Closing Sentences

Okay this is the best I've got and if I've missed anything Lupin accomplished magically please let me know.

Note: I'm aware a previous Lupin respect thread was created in the Harry Potter underated characters respect thread but it was more generalised and didn't include much detail. In the end it's up to the mods whether they lock this or not.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf470b432518
#2 Posted by deactivated-5bf470b432518 (5802 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by ArkhamAsylum3 (2000 posts) - - Show Bio

Everyone I tagged commented in my Harry Potter characters dueling ability ranked thread so I assumed you might be interested in this. If not sorry.

#6 Posted by PenguinLover (994 posts) - - Show Bio

Funnily enough, I don’t actually try to lowball Lupin, along with Dolohov. He’s probably my favourite character but he’s just so damn vague when it comes to duelling. Glad there are some solid feats, though.

Great work on this.

#7 Posted by ArkhamAsylum3 (2000 posts) - - Show Bio

Funnily enough, I don’t actually try to lowball Lupin, along with Dolohov. He’s probably my favourite character but he’s just so damn vague when it comes to duelling. Glad there are some solid feats, though.

Great work on this.

Cheers. I wasn't refering to you though. And when I said I'd tag you with a post I decided to create a respect thread instead because I've seen him be lowballed a lot.

#8 Edited by dark-sith123 (4640 posts) - - Show Bio

Very good work.

#9 Posted by ArkhamAsylum3 (2000 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by Vitisid (1182 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#11 Posted by ArkhamAsylum3 (2000 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by deactivated-5bf470b432518 (5802 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by decaf_wizard (16522 posts) - - Show Bio

This is nice

#14 Posted by Kevd4wg (10839 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice, he has some good TK feats in Wonder Woman too

#15 Posted by deactivated-5bf470b432518 (5802 posts) - - Show Bio

@kevd4wg said:

LMAO

#16 Posted by decaf_wizard (16522 posts) - - Show Bio

@kevd4wg said:

this is funny to me

Avatar image for in-sidiousvader
#17 Posted by In-sidiousvader (2086 posts) - - Show Bio

GOOD JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#18 Posted by jayc1324 (26057 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by BladeOfFury (2901 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sure it's great, but I shall not read. I want to forget the Harry Potter books so I can re-read them in a few years. I wish there was an invention like that, making people forget interesting books so they can read them all over again. And again. And again.

#20 Posted by deactivated-5bf470b432518 (5802 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sure it's great, but I shall not read. I want to forget the Harry Potter books so I can re-read them in a few years. I wish there was an invention like that, making people forget interesting books so they can read them all over again. And again. And again.

It doesn't matter whether or not you know what happens or not in HP it's still the most readably beautiful book series ever. I used to re-read the entire series every month for about a year, only stopping cause there were so many other novels I chose to read whch I hadn't read already.

#21 Posted by ArkhamAsylum3 (2000 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by ArkhamAsylum3 (2000 posts) - - Show Bio

@kevd4wg said:

this is funny to me

LMAO

#23 Posted by ArkhamAsylum3 (2000 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Edited by ArkhamAsylum3 (2000 posts) - - Show Bio

@bladeoffury said:

It only has a few quotes from the books but in the end it's your decision whether you read it or not.

#25 Posted by ArkhamAsylum3 (2000 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Edited by ArkhamAsylum3 (2000 posts) - - Show Bio

More Callouts. Everyone I tagged here commented on my Bellatrix vs Dolohov forum so I assumed you might be interested in this. If not sorry. I'd also like to thank you all for the mess that was that forum. I created it because I believe Bellatrix and Dolohov to be equals and I wanted to see an arguement made from either side that could convince me whether Bellatrix would win or vice versa. Instead what I got was a mess of broken logic and blatant lowballing of Dolohov.

#27 Posted by marvelfan1992 (1892 posts) - - Show Bio

cool, thanks

#28 Edited by ArkhamAsylum3 (2000 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Posted by EmmaFrostXmen (613 posts) - - Show Bio
#30 Posted by ArkhamAsylum3 (2000 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Posted by ArkhamAsylum3 (2000 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump.

#32 Posted by Vivec3629 (445 posts) - - Show Bio

Very nicely done! Sorry for the delay. Been busy out in the world lately.

I appreciate the effort that went into the breakdown of the Department of Mysteries duel, particularly as it's a fairly vague engagement. Lupin is often underestimated, I agree. J.K. always seemed to imply that when he wasn't out of practice, he'd have been a match for Dolohov, which is no mean feat.

Nice read, especially for one of my favorite HP characters.

#33 Posted by ArkhamAsylum3 (2000 posts) - - Show Bio

Very nicely done! Sorry for the delay. Been busy out in the world lately.

I appreciate the effort that went into the breakdown of the Department of Mysteries duel, particularly as it's a fairly vague engagement. Lupin is often underestimated, I agree. J.K. always seemed to imply that when he wasn't out of practice, he'd have been a match for Dolohov, which is no mean feat.

Nice read, especially for one of my favorite HP characters.

Cheers.

#34 Edited by ArkhamAsylum3 (2000 posts) - - Show Bio

I've updated this so I guess I'll bump it.

#35 Posted by ArkhamAsylum3 (2000 posts) - - Show Bio
#36 Edited by Goltop (58 posts) - - Show Bio

@arkhamasylum3: Thanks for the tag. I haven't been online in a long time so it's a bit late and I'm not sure when will I be online again, but I like this thread a lot.

Yes, the Battle of the Department of Mysteries was vague and it's important to emphasise that he was one of few to survive it unscatched.....and yeah he's managed to fly with injured george with Death Eaters behind his back. I'm sure he gave Antonin a hell of a fight.

Moony is my favourite Marauder and maybe my favourite character overall. He is a rather skilled, very intelligent and clever wizard. Besides that, he's also a great friend, teacher etc. I am fond of his life story and love his personality traits.

Great thanks for this.