Religion in the MCU

CosmicMuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I am not trying to start religious debates or anything, I am just genuinely curious about the status of religion in the MCU after Black Panther was released.

In Black Panther, we see that the Panther gods actually exist within the MCU. Wakandans praise their ancestors and it allows them to communicate with them in the ancestral plane. T'Challa also references Bast, the Egyptian God of cats. If Bast is real in the MCU, then we can also assume that all of Egyptian mythology is real to some extent within the MCU.

Now that is fine to me. Norse Mythology has been featured in the MCU. Obviously a lot is changed, they are not technically "gods" but just advanced aliens. My question is where does this all end? We have 2 religions within the MCU, Norse and Egyptian that have proven to be real to some extent.

My point is while these religions do still have followers today, they are not major religions. I could never see Marvel confirming any part of the Bible to be true in their movies. Im not calling it an "agenda" really, but just think about it. Marvel depicts a religion that people actually follow today and confirm it is true within their universe. Imagine if they did that with Christianity. People would riot and it would somehow cause people (probably liberal critics... just an assumption) to be mad that other diverse religions are not getting the spotlight.

I don't even really understand how these religions can coexist with each other. Egyptian and Norse mythology basically contradict each other because each god can be matched up with another similar god. How is it that people in Wakanda can praise ancestors, die, and then go to the ancestral plane? And then asgardians can die and then go to Valhalla? What happens to the people in America when they die? Most Americans are Christians, but do they go to Heaven when they die? That would mean that Christianity is real within the MCU, to an extent. But Christianity and Egyptian Mythology contradict each other a LOT, so I don't understand how they can coexist. Would American Christians instead go to "Duat" (Egyptian hell) since Egyptian Mythology has been proven to exist on earth and Christians do not believe in that? This really makes no sense at all tbh, my brain hurts trying to think of this. This literally only covered threereligions out of the thousands, and it is already confusing. That is why sci-fi movies should not include religion at all other than slight references (Cap: "There's only one God ma'am, and i'm pretty sure he doesn't dress like that").

I guess this is a problem that is unavoidable within a comic book movie universe, it just raises a lot of interesting questions.
What do you all think?

xzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gamer-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OH God NO

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb52f8f25413
deactivated-5bb52f8f25413

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Rebake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All gods shown in the MCU so far are not all-powerful, and it's left open whether there is one that is. Since the timeline/history of the MCU is different from our world, this stuff just works. It's an alternate universe from ours.

Chaos239

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MCU 'Gods' are just advanced Aliens, that is all.

CosmicMuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CosmicMuffin

@cosmicmuffin: you really should've posted this on the official religion thread.

The OP said "What are your religion and views". That has nothing to do with how religion has been depicted in the MCU. This warranted it's own forum in my opinion.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cosmicmuffin: yeah, but all religion-related discussions should all happen there.

CosmicMuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cosmicmuffin: yeah, but all religion-related discussions should all happen there.

Still don't see why you think that. Why would I go to a thread that asks "What is your religion" and make a post that talks about how religion has been depicted in the MCU. They do not relate. Just because they are both about religion does not mean they have the same idea or want to produce the same discussions.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cosmicmuffin: hey, that thread is not just about "what is your religion". It's also about your views on religion, Bible verses, & basically everything related to religion.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this is a completely different issue. We're talking about the mythical religions specifically within the MCU, not real world religions.

As for the OP, A. I highly doubt it will ever be addressed in the movies. B. If it IS to any extent I would assume individuals of different faiths would "go to" whatever spiritual realm of the religion they adhere to. C. As for Christianity (by the way Christianity, even in the MCU I would imagine, isn't just an American thing) Captain America has clearly announced he is. D. There are quite a few characters who are (if they haven't stated as much, though I'd imagine someone somewhere has...i'd bet hard money Tony Stark is, Atheist.

Also, nothing in any of the Thor movies has mentioned that people who believe in the Norse religion actually go to Valhalla (or any of the other Norse after lives) when they die. Again, it's all pretty much subjective and open to interpretation and almost certainly something that will not be addressed really in the movies.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: I thought Renchamp once said "all religion-related threads should go there" ("there" means the "Religion...what do you think?" thread) but idk much tbh.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: I thought Renchamp once said "all religion-related threads should go there" ("there" means the "Religion...what do you think?" thread) but idk much tbh.

Ah, well, you might actually be right. What I said is just my opinion. It just seems like it's a different thing since it's not about religion in the real world. I could, of course, be wrong. :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DrPepperMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ultron talked a bit about Christianity (God throws a stone, church in the middle)

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: I might be wrong too tho.

lol We may BOTH be wrong and there's a THIRD option. That would be interesting.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Try not to think about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bdfefecea198
deactivated-5bdfefecea198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure all the world's major religions would survive if a real, tangible god or pantheon of gods made itself known.