Avatar image for life_without_progress
Edited 7 months, 24 days ago

Poll: Rate the mangaka : Masashi Kishimoto (33 votes)

1-Lowest 6%
2 12%
3 39%
4 30%
5 - Highest 12%
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

(Ok, since critical acclaim doesn't really capture the attention of people that much, might as well go with popularity)

Today's rate the mangaka features the man behind the popular tale of Boruto's Dad the number one, knuckle headed ninja, the series known as Naruto. The series is basically a world wide phenomenon.

The mangaka known as Masashi Kishimoto.

For past "Rate The Mangaka" segments.

Akira Toriyama

Naoki Urasawa

Makoto Yukimura

Avatar image for life_without_progress
#2 Edited by ovy7 (3275 posts) - - Show Bio

2.5/5

Huge impact in the medium, but compared to other mangakas, he lacks in terms of writing (especially when it comes to female characters). Also, pretty average artwork, and the way he finished Naruto almost made me hate him (I'm talking about all the Kaguya stuff, Naruto vs Sasuke was good though).

#3 Posted by Quinlan58 (1818 posts) - - Show Bio

3. The man is competent, but not great. Besides, I gave Toriyama a 4 and no way am I giving Kishimoto the same grade.

#4 Posted by Godren (3792 posts) - - Show Bio

@ovy7 said:

2.5/5

Huge impact in the medium, but compared to other mangakas, he lacks in terms of writing (especially when it comes to female characters). Also, pretty average artwork, and the way he finished Naruto almost made me hate him (I'm talking about all the Kaguya stuff, Naruto vs Sasuke was good though).

#5 Edited by KillerQueen (439 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd give him a four.

#6 Edited by Omega_kai (3162 posts) - - Show Bio

I will give him a three, he had some creative ideas and superb writing at times, such as the Chunin Exams, Leaf Invasion, Madara's reveal twist which was a twist I'm pretty sure no one saw that coming. However, he really dropped the ball during the second half of Naruto.

#7 Posted by TheParadox (848 posts) - - Show Bio

@quinlan58: lol at Toriyama being better than Kishi.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c830d4e319e6
#8 Posted by deactivated-5c830d4e319e6 (4952 posts) - - Show Bio

4-5. The only mangaka that I know of that is better than Kishimoto is Togashi.

#9 Posted by jashugan (6652 posts) - - Show Bio

2/5

he tries

#10 Edited by Quinlan58 (1818 posts) - - Show Bio

@theparadox: You mean that as in "you're rating Toriyama too high", "you're rating Kishimoto too low", or both?

#11 Posted by Gaoron (9153 posts) - - Show Bio

@quinlan58: lol at Toriyama being better than Kishi.

Toriyamas art is better and his panels are way better constructed, action packed and overall more enjoyable to read. Plus if not for Toriyama and Togashi works there would be no Naruto to begin with. Toriyama also writes much better comedy like in Dr. Slump or original DB and is more diverse with his themes.

#12 Posted by TheKinfing (11855 posts) - - Show Bio

3/5.

Naruto started promising but quickly lost what make it special after the beginning of the II part.

#13 Posted by seastone98 (4744 posts) - - Show Bio

3.7 he has decent ideas & can execute them well at times kisame loyal sacrifice being one of the most underrated moments in all of shonen

#14 Edited by FaradaySloth (10628 posts) - - Show Bio

3/5 probably.

PROS:

Part 1 was original, interesting, and very relatable at times, IMO it's a better MHA than MHA itself now.

Akatsuki was cool

Good backgrounds most of the time

CONS:

Horrible Part 2

Horrible Main Characters

Average Manga fights (anime can make it better or worse, depends on the fight)

Artsyle is weak, most characters have the same design

Made some stupid power creeps and cornered himself with Madara.

Kishimoto is a tragic case of someone who wanted to end their story way earlier than he wanted but continued because of fans. I suggest everybody should watch this video.

#15 Posted by FaradaySloth (10628 posts) - - Show Bio

BTW can I get tagged for this?

#16 Posted by Koays (11557 posts) - - Show Bio

3/5 probably.

PROS:

Part 1 was original, interesting, and very relatable at times, IMO it's a better MHA than MHA itself now.

Akatsuki was cool

Good backgrounds most of the time

CONS:

Horrible Part 2

Horrible Main Characters

Average Manga fights (anime can make it better or worse, depends on the fight)

Artsyle is weak, most characters have the same design

Made some stupid power creeps and cornered himself with Madara.

Kishimoto is a tragic case of someone who wanted to end their story way earlier than he wanted but continued because of fans. I suggest everybody should watch this video.

This is deff on the mark.

The main characters fall into a hole about halfway through the 2nd series which you expect them to develop and grow from....instead they double down on a lot of character flaws and it arguably ruins them all because of it.

This shows ALOT especially when you compare anyone considered a main character to almost any of the recurring supporting characters in almost any way.

The power creeps and the twisted morals are par for the course for shonen...but the justification for a lot of them and how frequently they happen over such short a time frame (especially going by inuniverse time) really pulls me out of the characters here.

#17 Posted by JamesWayne (992 posts) - - Show Bio

@faradaysloth: I agree with some of your points, but to be fair the repetitive decline and one dimensional characters are pretty consistent across all jump manga. im really liking my hero but how long until that becomes repetitive like almost all the others?

#18 Posted by FaradaySloth (10628 posts) - - Show Bio

@jameswayne: OP, HxH, Toriko, & YYH are all good Jump Manga.

MHA was never great IMO but still worth reading, I don’t think it’ll fall down in quality, however based on how it is I wouldn’t be surprised if it becomes average or below around the 300 chapter mark

#19 Posted by HitTheAssasin (8456 posts) - - Show Bio

3 or 3.5.

#20 Edited by thatduderox (1031 posts) - - Show Bio

About a 3. Part 1 was great. Part 2, not so much. And the War Arc made me question if this was the same man who wrote part 1 to begin with.

#21 Posted by ImpZachary (14 posts) - - Show Bio

are you a dirty little jap?

#22 Posted by TheParadox (848 posts) - - Show Bio

@gaoron: Art is subjective, Naruto fight scenes are better in my opinion, and the story of Naruto is way better than DBZ.

#23 Edited by DeathandGrim (4842 posts) - - Show Bio

3. While influential Naruto was just okay. I liked some of the first part and Rock Lee was a standout character for me. Then the rest of the series happened.

#24 Posted by rahiem9123 (1573 posts) - - Show Bio

#25 Posted by BatmanPlusJay (4456 posts) - - Show Bio

I've read better Dr. Seuss children books.

Sike nah, Kishimoto is the homie, I meant to give him a 4 but I accidentally gave him a 5.