Avatar image for life_without_progress
Posted by Life_Without_Progress (24092 posts) 3 months, 22 days ago

Poll: Rate the Japanese Animation Studio: Madhouse (26 votes)

1-Lowest 0%
2 0%
3 8%
4 0%
5 0%
6 0%
7 4%
8 38%
9 15%
10-Highest 35%

Making a companion piece to the rate the mangaka segment I started up some time ago.

The very first "Rate the Japanese Animation Studio" features one of Japan's powerhouse animation studios. Making some of the most popular critically anime around and features some of the smoothest and gorgeous animation around (Dear lord, some of the sakuga sequences in their shows). They're known as Madhouse.

Some of their known popular shows are:

#2 Edited by Vertigo- (17683 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the only thing I've watched from Madhouse is Hellsing Ultimate (episodes 5-7 from what I can find). Gonna give them a 7. Wait, they also did Death Note and No game No life. Yeah, a 7 is still good

#3 Posted by FaradaySloth (8558 posts) - - Show Bio

8/10. Really good animation, have some great shows, but that's about it.

#4 Posted by Yassassin (7645 posts) - - Show Bio

Solid 8 from what I've seen.

#5 Edited by Omega_kai (3162 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh Japanese studios now, I will give Madhouse an 8 if I'm rating them solely off their adaptions, they give stellar work across the board from animation to direction, however, expecting them to make more than 2 seasons or even one sometimes is dubious at best. In which will often live the anime property in creative limbo.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
#6 Edited by IndomitableRegal (15676 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't want to vote because I'm tired and I'm drawing a bit of a blank trying to remember which shows they've done. I know this though -- Madhouse also has top notch animation, even at times when I don't think the show/movie itself is great.

#7 Posted by seastone98 (4645 posts) - - Show Bio

8/10 they do very well even if the cgi isn't always the best the heart is still there

#8 Posted by jashugan (6072 posts) - - Show Bio

7/10 probably

Avatar image for deactivated-5c830d4e319e6
#9 Edited by deactivated-5c830d4e319e6 (4952 posts) - - Show Bio

10/10. The animation of OPM & HxH are one of the best I have ever seen.

#10 Posted by Magian (151257 posts) - - Show Bio

8/10. They have made some of the most famous anime over the ages even though I have to say that their more recent works, haven't exactly been their best.

#11 Posted by Just_Banter (12357 posts) - - Show Bio

Was an 8, dropped to a 7 due to Overlord season 3s horrendous CGI. Could drop it to a 6 but that would probably be too reactionary. They have a lot of hits but also a few misses that stop them from being anything above an 8, even disregarding Overlord.

Avatar image for gilgameshthepimptoendallpimps
#12 Edited by GilgameshThePimpToEndAllPimps (2472 posts) - - Show Bio

8, they've made really good shows like HxH and OPM, but in terms of raw animation quality they've never really made truly 'great' stuff like what Bones or Kyo Ani can produce.

#13 Posted by Helloman (28626 posts) - - Show Bio

9/10

#14 Posted by TheKinfing (11700 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Posted by Jgames (8088 posts) - - Show Bio

Voted for an 8 due to how truly terrible the other season of Overlord are. That being said honestly, they have not only made plenty of amazing shows, but movies. So I give them a 9.

#16 Posted by Fabricolage (1885 posts) - - Show Bio

8/10, they know how to make good animations.

#17 Posted by TheHercules (629 posts) - - Show Bio

Toki o Kakeru Shōjo <3

#18 Posted by LawCol (710 posts) - - Show Bio

I really enjoy watching their creations. Especially their use of action. I can't give them a 10 though since they don't produce enough modern multi-season anime. So it's hard to judge whether they can maintain their animation quality throughout multiple seasons and in various genre.

Avatar image for fullmetalemprah
#19 Posted by FullMetalEmprah (4038 posts) - - Show Bio

8-9, I definitely enjoy their animation quite a bit.

#20 Posted by Aros001 (3610 posts) - - Show Bio

@jgames said:

Voted for an 8 due to how truly terrible the other season of Overlord are. That being said honestly, they have not only made plenty of amazing shows, but movies. So I give them a 9.

I'm curious what you didn't like about the other seasons of Overlord?

Avatar image for totallynotjucas
#21 Posted by TotallyNotJucas (583 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by Jgames (8088 posts) - - Show Bio

@aros001: Aside for the bad cg (which seriously XD), the adaptation of the light novel could have been better. I mean they rushed what is already a bad arc, and made it worst. Like is okay to skip some of the thing from the source material, is call an adaptation, to give yourself time to adapt the better parts instead of having them suffer due to rushing the story.

Plus what I love about the first season is Ainz and his team, which they barely were in the second season. Instead half of it was boring lizard story. The third season again started out with people I do not give a crap. Just ugh. Again you can blame it on the source material, but crap is crap.

#23 Posted by Aros001 (3610 posts) - - Show Bio

@jgames said:

@aros001: Aside for the bad cg (which seriously XD), the adaptation of the light novel could have been better. I mean they rushed what is already a bad arc, and made it worst. Like is okay to skip some of the thing from the source material, is call an adaptation, to give yourself time to adapt the better parts instead of having them suffer due to rushing the story.

Plus what I love about the first season is Ainz and his team, which they barely were in the second season. Instead half of it was boring lizard story. The third season again started out with people I do not give a crap. Just ugh. Again you can blame it on the source material, but crap is crap.

I guess I'll have to see how strongly I feel about it after I finish reading the light novels, as the anime dub was my first exposure to Overlord, so I don't have anything to compare it to. Maybe it was because I binged through all three seasons that I didn't have as much of a problem with the lesser parts (though I agree that the Lizardmen arc had me drifting in and out because they weren't that interesting).

#24 Posted by Fabricolage (1885 posts) - - Show Bio

8.5 or 9/10 since Madhouse did a couple good movies as well.

#25 Posted by Galactic_1000 (5590 posts) - - Show Bio