Rate the comic book artist: Rob Liefeld

Avatar image for life_without_progress
Life_Without_Progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Poll Rate the comic book artist: Rob Liefeld (34 votes)

1-Lowest 24%
2 47%
3 26%
4 0%
5-Highest 3%
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Due to demand, today's rate the comic book artist segment features Rob Liefeld, one of the proprietors of the 1990s and was well known for establishing teams such as X-Force and Youngblood. He's also created characters like Supreme and co-created the fan favorite Marvel character Deadpool. His work is , you could say, influential and recognized by the community to this very day albeit for mixed reasons. over the top muscular characters with so much pockets that you'd wonder if they'll ever use all of the contents of said pockets.

As of recent years he has worked on Deathstroke and currently working on a new X-Men character known as Major X.

Previous Rate The Comic Book Artist Segments:

Stuart Immonen

Jock

Jim Cheung

Frank Quitely

Fiona Staples

Mike Mignola

Gary Frank

• 
Avatar image for ready_4_madness
Ready_4_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

noobmaster2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

2. His work is at best a 3

eri123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 eri123  Online

Nucleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Nucleon

Rob Liefeld, creator of the "Iron Age" of comics. He's got a whole decade to his name, that mediocre artist.

By now of course, every comic fan are aware of the disproportions and peculiarities of his drawings, and how he copies previous artists - and that's the key: Everybody knows him, in spite of his shortcomings. That is quite something.

So, no matter how loud we laugh, there is something that this guy did, that was right, isn't it? Here is what I think; Liefeld knows his public, is close to them, he knows what they like; Splash pages, a good colorist (liefeld always gave much importance to his colorists) and, for lack of a better definition, his youth, the freshness of his stories - because he was also a creator and a scenarist of some renown.

For good or bad, Liefeld is the guy that was keeping comics alive during the Iron Age of comics. No matter his actual work, he left a giant, indelibile mark on the industry. Deadpool 2 was full of hommage to Leifeld.

2/5 in talent, 5/5 in influence: 3.5 total.

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ghostodoofus2

I have actually briefly spoken with Rob, seems like an alright guy, hope he never knows that I give him a 2 though.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2. I appreciate the testosterone, but his art needs works.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Finally. I was beginning to think you'd never make this one lol

Well his work in the industry is legendary, for all the wrong reasons but he is somehow still drawing to this day. I don't get it but for this, I'll give him a 2.

P.S. No one has still posted that Captain America picture? CV....

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By DeathandGrim

2. He avoids a 1 by way of his influence and his art has "improved" over the years but it's still not great

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ew ew ew. 2 at best, he's only good for memes.

To be fair I'm not sure how much of him i've read (did he do early Spawn?) but c'mon.

Sup3rn0va

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Vishop_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3 at best. I gave him +1 more than others given he has introduced X-Force. I hope god forgives me lol.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2. That infamous Cap pic alone damn near cancels most of his good lol.

Avatar image for theinsufferable
TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

g2_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

TakenStew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This guy is infamous for his art but I don't think he's that terrible. I'll give him a 3.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, aside from that Cap picture, I don't think he is that bad, granted I have not read his work, but the pics I have seen, while definitely not my style, are not terrible.

Warlockmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

Honestly, aside from that Cap picture, I don't think he is that bad, granted I have not read his work, but the pics I have seen, while definitely not my style, are not terrible.

honestly the Cap meme is what everyone spams when they say his artwork is bad but if you look at his recent Deadpool Bad Blood and Major X the art isn't horrible. Its not the best but i think a solid 3 is good for him

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3 average at best and a 1 at his lows.

Vishop_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

seastone98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 seastone98  Online

4/10 he has improved in recent years

Combo-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2. Liefeld is very creative and he's created a bunch of great characters, but he's never been a good enough artist to be a pro. however people tend to single him out like he's the only bad artist who ever worked in the industry, which is not the case. his work ranges from slightly below average to down right terrible.

Combo-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Combo-Man
@nucleon said:

Rob Liefeld, creator of the "Iron Age" of comics. He's got a whole decade to his name, that mediocre artist.

For good or bad, Liefeld is the guy that was keeping comics alive during the Iron Age of comics. No matter his actual work, he left a giant, indelibile mark on the industry. Deadpool 2 was full of hommage to Leifeld.

2/5 in talent, 5/5 in influence: 3.5 total.

I think you're giving Rob a little too much credit there. the "Iron Age" if there is such a thing was primarily created by Frank Miller, Alan Moore, Marv Wolfman, George Perez and guys like that, while Liefeld is part of that generation of creators he's not the most prominent or influential member. he's a latecomer if anything.

some people also point to Crisis on Infinite Earths as the beginning of the Iron Age/Modern Age of comics.

Liefeld is notable like you said as the co-creator of X-Force, Deadpool and Cable, as well as a contributor to the 80s/90s badass superhero-team trend, but he didn't invent or popularize that trend. Marv Wolfman and George Perez invented it in the 80s with The New Teen Titans, especially when it was retitled The New Titans in 88. the most popular artist of that trend was Jim Lee with his work on X-Men.

Nucleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@combo-man: Not untrue - but still Liefeld opened up Image comics, which was one of the un-deniable source of Iron Age comics, where Moore wrote for Supreme, among others. He acted as a doorway for many artists, one of my favorites being Deodato.

I pretty much play devil's advocate here as I despised the Image style at the time, but think they got older rather nicely much later. For me, it was something just as much related to comics as mangas are, something like very different from the mainstream.

Eventually, it acted as a necessary purge on the industry, permitting it the rebirth it got at "Kingdom Come" time, and yes, Liefeld had a huge part to play in it, even thought he did so mostly unconsciously.

Batvibe12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Around 3 or 4.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a kid back in ‘91 I thought it was amazing, especially when Youngblood came out. Unlike his peers in Lee and McFarlane, his style has aged pretty badly imo over the years. Can’t go higher than a 2

Combo-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Combo-Man

@nucleon:

Yeah I agree he had an influence, but there are dozens of guys who had more of an influence in the same time, especially in the mainstream.

I'm not a Liefeld hater or anything. while I don't like his art style, I view him as a seemingly cool guy who has spent most of his career in indie comics doing his own thing, minding his own business. the only gripe I have with him is Heroes Reborn, but even with that 5 badly drawn issues of Captain America is a minor complaint. especially since Heroes Reborn led to Heroes Return which was great.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Hard pass on his work.

SabbaVSK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

0.5/5

I hate steroids.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 12

I'd give him a 3/5 for the solemn reason that he is indeed a creative genius. He might not have great writing skills and his feet may be non-existent, and all of his character's faces might look identical, but he has created some of the most popular characters from the 90's. He has a vision, he has a feeling of what will sell and knows how to design it, but his solemn problem is that he is incapable of drawing them beyond design sketches. However, as bad as his work may be, he has influenced tons of people out there, so he deserves some recognition.

Avatar image for universeichigo1
universeichigo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2/1/2 so gave him three to be modest