R rated comics movies

Tommy Who?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

Do you think the success of the Deadpool film will start a trend of more mature, R rated comics films? If so, do you think that would be a good thing?

warrior100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

yeah, i wanna see a Rated -R Spawn reboot ,a r-rated Venom movie, and a hard rated -R X-force movie.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

For certain films yes. But at the end of the day, there's just more money in the PG-13 market. You won't be seeing an R-Rated film getting 1 billion at the box office regularly for a while. For as good as Deadpool is doing, it pales in comparison to other CBM films.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it was stated (rumor or something like that) that the next Wolverine movie will be R rated (kinda unnecessary if you ask me, Wolverine isn't going to change if there is more blood or nudity).

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

@petey_is_spidey: Yeah but when it's made for 1/4 the budget it doesn't need to make 1 billion to be just as profitable

Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petey_is_spidey: Yeah but when it's made for 1/4 the budget it doesn't need to make 1 billion to be just as profitable

True. But potentially R-Rated movies that will require a bit more money (Wolverine, X-Men, Hulk maybe, ect) will need a little more cash. All really depends on the film.

Natedogg_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it all depends on the character and the audience that is being targeted. You will never see an R rated Superman, Captain America, Flash...etc. As these characters have very young audiences that would not be able to view R rated films. Punisher could work as an R rated film.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#8 JediXMan  Moderator

It should only be done when it's necessary.

It won't happen, but ideally, the story should be written first, and then the rating comes afterward. However, unfortunately, most studios start with a rating / demographic in mind and build the movie around that.

NeonGameWave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It could be a bad thing, it could be a good thing the lessons that need to be learned from Deadpool should focus on the good things such as the team, that team`s mission and making sure to remember that quality should come first rather than quantity.

Immolation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Immolation

Fox will do more. A sequel to Deadpool has been confirmed and a producer has stated that they are considering doing a R rating with X-Force. Unlike Marvel and DC, Fox does not worry about merchandising.

Doubt Marvel will. They couldn't sell toys to kids if they did a R rating. They might push the MA rating further with their Netflix shows.

Same thing with DC. Would lose a lot of revenue from merchandise by doing a R rating with their major charecters.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By jumpstart55

I dont know maybe. R rated comic films have historically been iffy and i,m going back 30 years. Were as the PG13 ratting has been the best go to ratting for superhero films since the getgo. Of course you've had somewhat successful superhero films like Blade1-2,300, Kick Ass,Wanted,V for, etc. But an R-Rated comic film on its best day is usually equal to a PG13 comic film on its worst day. But R rated comic flicks have generally been iffy at best. So to answer then main question, id say no. As the whole marketing point of comic films is to establish a marketable brand via merchandising that extends far beyond the success of the film, such as toys,posters, DVDs, high end collectibles etc. With an R-Rating a marketable brand is much harder to establish, since most kids( toodlers-preteen) who are essentially a core fan-base and consumer market of comic films wont be seeing the film anytime soon. Where as PG13 can and will be seen by anybody even preteens and toddlers.

Avatar image for avatar_of_green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Avatar_of_Green

@petey_is_spidey: Deadpool's actually probably going to end up doing as well as GotG... which was a smash hit... so... wtf are you talking about? "Pales in comparison". Please.

It is already going to beat every X-Men movie made until now.

It will be just outside the top 10 modern CBM's... (not counting inflation.) And it cost like 1/4 as much to make.

warrior100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

back in the 80's & 90'. there were a ton of R-rated movies.

Tommy Who?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

I would counter the demo/merchandising argument by pointing out that video games were once viewed the same way, "you have to make it accessible to kids", and clearly that is no longer the case. The games marketed to adults are, almost without exception, the big money makers.

I agree that some characters will never, and need not ever, make the jump to graphic R-rated films, but some (like those listed by @warrior100 ) are a perfect fit. I think we all hope that the studios will put more thought into it than just "everything needs boobs and blood 'cause deadpool!"

Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petey_is_spidey: Deadpool's actually probably going to end up doing as well as GotG... which was a smash hit... so... wtf are you talking about? "Pales in comparison". Please.

It is already going to beat every X-Men movie made until now.

It will be just outside the top 10 modern CBM's... (not counting inflation.) And it cost like 1/4 as much to make.

Deadpool is currently sitting at $497.6 million. It has a LONG WAY to go before it even touches GotG, which made $773.3 million (that's a $275.7 difference there). DofP is currently standing at $747.9 million.

Deadpool is currently 21st in CBM history, behind IM1. I don't see it making more than $200 million dollars from this point, so I see it moving to 15th. That's good, but for most films, especially the more popular ones, there's MUCH more money in the PG13 market. So don't get your panties in a bunch.

Immolation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Immolation

@tommy who? said:

I would counter the demo/merchandising argument by pointing out that video games were once viewed the same way, "you have to make it accessible to kids", and clearly that is no longer the case. The games marketed to adults are, almost without exception, the big money makers.

I don't really think the video game argument is valid here. Video game sales would equal ticket sales and I dont think anyone doubts that R rated comic book movies could be box office hits. Where they lose a lot of money will be selling toys, kids cloths, costumes, and other merchandise. Because of that, I highly doubt Marvel or DC will do one with their major charecters.

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 9

Yeah for sure! And a Deadpool movie was definitely the best choice to start that trend. I'd like to see a Wolverine 2 [R] rated movie. That would be pretty badass.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

R rated Thunderbolts movie would be great.

Hopefully DC will take this and make the next Suicide Squad (if it gets a sequel) R rated.

Wolverine 3, X-Force and obviously Deadpool 2 should be R as well.

This would never happen since he is to big a character but an R rated Batman movie sounds mighty fine. (Similar to how Arkham Knight was M+17)

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: we might just get an r-rated suicide squad movie via a director's cut on blue ray. It was just announced (apparently) that batman v superman will get a director's cut and it will be rated-R.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@heatforce: That's exactly the thought I had. Although an R rated film with Superman irks me as that doesn't suit his character hopefully the movie and R rated version are still solid.