question's about time

stafikking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By stafikking

since time is basically events and a timeline is the procession of events in a certain order, doesn't that mean that in order to destroy time means that you have to destroy everything ( to stop the flow of events ) including yourself. I guess to destroy a timeline would mean to destroy all events pertaining to that time line. Of courese there can be many time lines. ( ex. your time line, my time line, a country's time line etc. ) IDK, how would you describe it?

Aquamariner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Aquamariner

uh.... what?

Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By Jotham

I think time is basically just a concept we use to help explain our view of reality. So, yes: if you could destroy time, then you would destroy everything.

baker1skter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4  Edited By baker1skter

Time is regarded as a underlying linear force(if you will).  We perceive the relevant reality of time as passing through physical aging and our measurement system of seconds(etc). So yes no time = nothing!

@Aquamariner:@Jotham:@stafikking:  however i want you all to think about this!
Time is not homogenous. For example, you have a cube of butter. you can cut that butter in half, then in half again, then you cut so many times until you only have one butter molecule, then you cut that molecule and at some point it will no longer have a unit of butter, so no longer a butter molecule. Time is the same way. you can "cut" time in fractions: milliseconds,microsecond,nanoseconds,picoseconds (etc) but at some point once you "cut" it,it will no longer a unit of time, but something completely different. Whats so "smaller" than time? What is "below" the essence of time?

makes you wonder huh?

@stafikking: great thinking, you question made sense! i understand when philosophizing about time and reality its hard for others to understand your thoughts, since its hard to write down.

baker1skter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By baker1skter

Time is way "bigger" than what we perceive as time.

Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jotham
@baker1skter said:
" Time is the same way. you can "cut" time in fractions: milliseconds,microsecond,nanoseconds,picoseconds (etc) but at some point once you "cut" it,it will no longer a unit of time, but something completely different. Whats so "smaller" than time? What is "below" the essence of time? "
But seconds are just a measure of time, like meters are with length. You can divide a second into infinitely many smaller units, as you can with meters. Of course, at some point you will have an infinitely small unit.
baker1skter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By baker1skter

@Jotham:  your not getting my point.  Those units are only relvant to our use as humans. Time is such a bigger concept, and time can be "broken" down till it is no longer a "unit" of time. We perceive time by the units we use. When i say "breaking time down" i dont literally mean picoseconds and all the smaller subunits, becuase that is just a conceptual breaking down of time.We can go infinitely small with those units, because we can just make them up to describe the time we perceive. When i say a breaking down of time, i mean a literal breaking down of time. I just used the description of the units we use for a visual. Its very hard to wrap your mind around, because we as humans don't experience it.

Note: all the " " i used.

Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jotham
@baker1skter: Oh, okay. I think we probably think about it the same way.
DeathinFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By DeathinFire

Time is merely a unit of measurement with which we use to measure our own decay.  What we call time is only as significant to reality as the Metric System, for example.
Tomokata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Tomokata
@DeathinFire said:
" Time is merely a unit of measurement with which we use to measure our own decay.  What we call time is only as significant to reality as the Metric System, for example. "
Yes and no, there is a force out there we label as "time", which is affected by other forces, such as gravity.  Then it becomes much more than merely a unit of measurement.
baker1skter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By baker1skter
@Tomokata:  thank you, someone knows that they are talking about.
Tomokata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Tomokata
@baker1skter:   I can armchair physics with the best of 'em!   

Yay Science Channel!
stafikking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By stafikking

Isn't time, in a way, just the passing of events. I mean, if you look in the dictionary, events is usually somewhere in the definition of time. 
So no time = no events passing, which means that there is no longer anything there. So if there is something out there, then there is events, which means that there is time. Basically what i'm asking is, how does time tie into events.
stafikking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By stafikking

In fiction, when someone says that they can survive outside of time, what does that mean. Does it mean that the stopping of the flow of events doesn't affect them, so they can do infinity in a nano second or something. 

EDIT: maybe time only pertains to the physical realm, so maybe when one says that they can survive without time, means that they can survive in a non physical state? Isn't there non physical time though?
NexusOfLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By NexusOfLight
@stafikking said:
" In fiction, when someone says that they can survive outside of time, what does that mean. Does it mean that the stopping of the flow of events doesn't affect them, so they can do infinity in a nano second or something.
Usually when someone talks like that, they're saying that they stepped outside the dimension of time, as in they can see it in the same way that God sees it. They see everything that is, everything that's been, and everything that is to come. They're not really "stopping" time, because time itself is more of a constant. If someone were to "freeze" time, that wouldn't mean time stops going, because they'd still get old. Time would still be moving in what ever position or dimension they are. The way I figure it, when someone "freezes" time, they're moving so close to the speed of light that everything around them slows down to make it seem like everything around them is frozen. That's why so many time travel theories involve the speed of light, general relativity, an' all that jazz. I think I read somewhere that if someone were to travel at the speed of light for a day, a whole year would pass around him. Was probably here or here.
stafikking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By stafikking
@stafikking said:
"In fiction, when someone says that they can survive outside of time, what does that mean. Does it mean that the stopping of the flow of events doesn't affect them, so they can do infinity in a nano second or something.  EDIT: maybe time only pertains to the physical realm, so maybe when one says that they can survive without time, means that they can survive in a non physical state? Isn't there non physical time though? "

I think I finally got it, Since each fictional universes has it's own time. When someone says that they can survive without time, that means that they must be capable of existing in the nothingness between universes.
Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@stafikking said:
" @stafikking said:
"In fiction, when someone says that they can survive outside of time, what does that mean. Does it mean that the stopping of the flow of events doesn't affect them, so they can do infinity in a nano second or something.  EDIT: maybe time only pertains to the physical realm, so maybe when one says that they can survive without time, means that they can survive in a non physical state? Isn't there non physical time though? "
I think I finally got it, Since each fictional universes has it's own time. When someone says that they can survive without time, that means that they must be capable of existing in the nothingness between universes. "
Pretty much, existence outside of reality. Since time, as a concept, would need to exist somewhere, these characters just go someowhere else. Usually a non-reality. The problem is; HOW THE HELL DO YOU DRAW THAT?

Btw, I like to look at this as more philosophy than physics XD.
stafikking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By stafikking

In fiction, when a character or species can destroy time, they must have some sort of a universe buster since you need to destroy everything in that universe to destroy time in that universe. ( to stop the flow of events )
Tomokata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Tomokata
@FadeToBlackBolt:   You draw it any way you like.  Who's going to tell you "No, that's not what it looks like"?  ;)
Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@Tomokata said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt:   You draw it any way you like.  Who's going to tell you "No, that's not what it looks like"?  ;) "
Haha, yeh. Though I hate when it's just a white background. Lazy and dull.
DeathinFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DeathinFire
@Tomokata said:
" @DeathinFire said:
" Time is merely a unit of measurement with which we use to measure our own decay.  What we call time is only as significant to reality as the Metric System, for example. "
Yes and no, there is a force out there we label as "time", which is affected by other forces, such as gravity.  Then it becomes much more than merely a unit of measurement. "

Er, quoted wrong you know what you said and what I said.  Anyways, in what way does gravity effect time?  I understand that gravity holds the Earth in Rotation with the Sun giving us days and years and such.  However, we simple use this to make a calendar (a unit of measurement).  Gravity is a force of nature that would be here regardless if we choose to name it.  Time, however, I believe is a man made concept.  Perhaps I am wrong though.
Tomokata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Tomokata

Not sure what you're talking about as far as the misquoting goes, but the time thing is mainly seen around black holes.  There's evidence to suggest that time actually slows in the presence of massive sources of gravity.  It's part of what led Einstein to believe that time was fluid, rather than linear.  Also, time is a force of nature that would be here regardless if we choose to name it.  Just as we have levels of gravity, we have levels of time.  If we called it "entropitis" or some such, it would still be out there, quantifiable and able to be measured.  Names are irrelevant.  

stafikking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By stafikking

To make it simplier, I just view time as a procession of events.( as it says in the dictionary )
xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By xybernauts

@stafikking said:

" since time is basically events and a timeline is the procession of events in a certain order, doesn't that mean that in order to destroy time means that you have to destroy everything ( to stop the flow of events ) including yourself. I guess to destroy a timeline would mean to destroy all events pertaining to that time line. Of courese there can be many time lines. ( ex. your time line, my time line, a country's time line etc. ) IDK, how would you describe it?  "

Interesting subject. When you talk about destroying time, are you talking about destroying one timeline or all timelines throughout the multiverse? Assuming it's possible to destroy time, if you destroy time how do you destroy it? I don't think you have to destroy "everything" to destroy time. For example, I believe time in a blackhole is destroyed.  Remember time is relative. Just because one's experience of time in the wormhole is destroyed doesn't mean all of time throughout the universe is destroyed. 
stafikking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By stafikking
@xybernauts:
Well since time is a procession of events, in order to destroy time you need to destroy everything. since each universe has it's own time, then you need a universe buster to destroy all time in a universe.
LT1085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By LT1085
@stafikking said:
" since time is basically events and a timeline is the procession of events in a certain order, doesn't that mean that in order to destroy time means that you have to destroy everything ( to stop the flow of events ) including yourself. I guess to destroy a timeline would mean to destroy all events pertaining to that time line. Of courese there can be many time lines. ( ex. your time line, my time line, a country's time line etc. ) IDK, how would you describe it?  "
I'll have to get back to you on that one. 
*turns on vaporizer and begins busting up some kush*