Question about comic Fan-bases

aarontyler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Today I was scrolling through a IGN article about DC & Marvel, usually there are always Fanboy wars over anything particular on IGN. But this one debate caught my eye, one DC fan stated that he does not enjoy Marvel movies as well as DC, because of the poor depth, overly flashy action & kiddy comedy. He feels DC is more adult oriented. This is what the Marvel fan replied him with.

"Wouldn't say DC is more for adults, just takes itself too seriously. Marvel knows superheroes are absurd and has more fun with it. Don't always need real stuff hitting you hard when you're watching a movie about dudes in tights"

I was thinking to myself how can you even label yourself as a Fan after a statement like that? Comics have proved they can be more than just the hero saving the day. But it got me thinking how far some people go to like something.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

I've actually made similar statements, but I don't hate DC (in fact, the only current Big Two book I'm reading is Green Arrow).

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

The statements are somewhat true. I have seen that difference between both films and guess what? I like it. Who cares that one is a little more light hearted than the other ? Who cares that the other is more adult like more variety is good. When Cap 3 and MOS 2 come out in a couple of years in the same I'm not going to debate which one i rather watch I'm watching both because I'm a fan of great films and not of the company that makes them.

aarontyler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You guys are missing the point, for this person in general, If he thinks Comic characters in general are absurd people in tights, then I really question If he is a fan or not. Tell me when did comics have to be stuck to one formula of movie making to be good?

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

You guys are missing the point, for this person in general, If he thinks Comic characters in general are absurd people in tights, then I really question If he is a fan or not. Tell me when did comics have to be stuck to one formula of movie making to be good?

No, he's pretty spot on. Superheroes are silly and cool and Marvel knows how to embrace it.

BB

aarontyler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billy_batson: Cool? Yes. Silly? No. Comics present a story in the art style of its artist and are a direct collaboration between art and literature. This graphic style of storytelling which has depth, intellectual meaning, with a philosophical edge appeals to many people. I will say this again, Comics have proved they can be MORE than that. If you limit your mind to just that way of thinking, how can you possibly think past that barrier.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@billy_batson: Cool? Yes. Silly? No. Comics present a story in the art style of its artist and are a direct collaboration between art and literature. This graphic style of storytelling which has depth, intellectual meaning, with a philosophical edge appeals to many people. I will say this again, Comics have proved they can be MORE than that. If you limit your mind to just that way of thinking, how can you possibly think past that barrier.

Yeah, comics in general can be, have been and are that but superhero comics? Not so much.

BB