Punching Bag

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

Edited By RazzaTazz

Throughout the long history of comics there has been one unifying theme among heroes - they are usually pretty good at punching stuff.  For proof of this we really not need look any farther than the big names characters in comics - Superman, Batman, Captain America, Spider-Man, Wonder Woman and maybe the most so the Hulk.  There are certainly those with other powers like energy based ones, but even characters like Cyclops resort to puching the bad guys.  Among the unpowered, punching is so necessary that even less potent characters like the Ted Kord Blue Beetle are said to be experts at unarmed combat.  The sort of gun-crazy wave that swept the comic universes in the late 70s with the Punisher and continues to this day with the likes of Deadpool doesn't save those characters having a strong reliance on the ability to hit things with their fists.  There are a few things not so relavant about punching.  First of all from a physiological standpoint it does not really do much unless making the person you are hitting kind of upset.  Of course there are knockout punches, but when Batman walks into a room and delivers ten in a row against a group of thugs it demands a bit of suspension of disbelief.  This is kind of a minor point though, the issues I have with an over reliance on punching have more to do with what it represents.  First of all most parents tell their children to try to resolve problems without resorting to fisticuffs using that as a last resort.  Of course things like an excessive use of punching is what bullies do (at least the bullies who resort to physical violence).  Secondly though I think we expect more out of our characters from the standpoint of thei mental acuity.  There are a wealth of supervillains with very poor fighting ability (the Riddler or the Penguin for instance) but who prove to be completly adequate adversaries to their superhero counterparts.  The exact reason is that they are engaging them in a battle of wits, not a battle of fists, and really I think as comioc readers we remember more the time when a hero had to solve a problem instead of having to fight their way through it.  To take this to an extreme, imagine a battle raged Hulk was fighting (and mostly punching) a bunch of bad guys.  He would be at a loss of what to do if he saw a man dieing of anaphylactic shock from eating strawberries.  He would be almost useless, even Strawberry Shortcake who is made out of strawberries would be at least to administer an epi pen (though mouth-to-mouth resuscitation would be inadvisable).  As comics have evolved over the years storylines and character complexities have evolved as well to the point (at least in my opinion) that comics represent one of the ebst forms of a fictional art form.  The reliance on punching though I think is somewhat a relic of the past, still necessary at times but not at all times. 

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SC  Moderator

Ahahaha, best thread ever! Your a genius. Well wait. No, I can't say you are without pictures in the blog. 

80's, 90's Rogue is my favorite punch character. No one could throw a solid and awesome punch like her! Maybe Benji. 
castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By castleking

i always thought Rogue in the 90's was the punching bag in that she couldnt be hurt and was invulnerable and good take high herald punches like a champ  from guys like Hulk to even being punched to the moon with relatively no pain..

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SC  Moderator
@castleking said:
i always thought Rogue in the 90's was the punching bag in that she couldnt be hurt and was invulnerable and good take high herald punches like a jump from guys like Hulk to even being punched to the moon with relatively no pain..

Sure, you have to be able to take a good punch, in order to give a good punch. Its about the pizzaz. Gah, now I am hungry for pizza. Stupid words! Oh you are talking about the Binary punch? That was a cool moment. 
The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By The_Ghostshell

This pic is beyond badass. I always liked this costume on a side note.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By entropy_aegis

I wanna punch someone right now.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Diana's BEST PUNCH EVER...
A_O_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By A_O_N

Great blog and awesome picture!

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By joshmightbe

I do have to disagree with you on the effectiveness of punching, as evidenced by the sheer number of professional boxers who've been punched into brain damage, a well placed punch can break a nose, jaw bone, cheek bone, or even eye socket (I've had my eye socket broken before and trust me it ends the fight) also I've seen many a rib broken by a good strong punch

Avatar image for donovan_montgomery
Donovan Montgomery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

Punching is still around because stories get slow without a good fisticuff in there somewhere.  Same with movies without action.
*insert gratuitous punch picture here*

Juggernaut's 1st fight against Colossus
Juggernaut's 1st fight against Colossus
RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#10  Edited By RazzaTazz

I never said I am against a good brawl here and there, I just said it is strange to still have such prominent characters where thats a majority of what they do

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SC  Moderator

Don't get in a punch fight with a person who has machine guns on their legs is my fathers motto. Of course as far as I am aware he was the only ninja whose preferred weapon of choice was a tank. He died in a pear bobbing freak accident. Someone painted a grenade to look like a pear. You could say he bit off more than he could chew mah haha. He was a head of the rest. He had an explosive personality. Okay, okay I'll stop. >_>

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

*Posts scan of batman.......er I mean Batgod punching Shazam*

elinajhon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Punching bag are the athletic equipment used by professional boxers for training and by amateurs for exercise..

Avatar image for thespiritstalker
TheSpiritStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Yamcha