Respect Psycho Pirate
- Name: Roger Hayden
- Alias: Psycho Pirate II
- Hometown: Unknown, Earth-2
- Team Affiliations: The Anti Monitor, Secret Society of Super Villains
- Bio: Roger Hayden is the second person to take the identity of the Psycho Pirate. Having learned all about emotions and the medusa mask from the first Psycho Pirate he was able to obtain the mask(s) and begin using them to commit crimes. During the Crisis on Infinite Earths he was taken captive by the Anti Monitor and in the aftermath of the Crisis he had gone insane. It turns out that Hayden was the only one who remembered all of the worlds before they were destroyed during the Crisis and he had the ability to bring them back into continuity, doing so put a strain on him and broke his mind, again and he seemingly vanished. Hayden eventually reappeared and worked with Alexander Luthor until he was killed by Black Adam.
Table of Contents
- Emotional Manipulation
- Medusa Mask
- Construct Generation
- Black Lantern
As mentioned, Roger Hayden is the second (but most well known) individual to go by the title of Psycho Pirate.
- Showcase #56 - Easy to follow origin. Met the original Psycho Pirate while in prison. Learned everything he could from him and used it to obtain the Medusa Masks, as there were multiple to begin with, becomes the Psycho Pirate II.
2.0 Emotional Manipulation
Psycho Pirate has the primary ability to manipulate the emotions of others through eye contact/seeing his face. A few quick notes about his power(s)
- He can use his powers with or without his mask; though he'll use the mask to recharge his power if he's gone without wearing it for too long.
- The effects of his power seems to linger for quite a long duration of time, placing those under his control indefinitely until he decides otherwise, or if the individual has some sort of resistance.
- Those under the effect of his power seem to follow commands such as defending him, fighting their allies, robbing banks, or, even killing themselves/their friends.
So, there's a quick rundown on his emotional manipulation; now here it is in action.
- Showcase #56 - Makes an entire bank filled w/people overcome with curiosity.
- Showcase #56 - Makes Doctor Fate feel an overwhelming amount of pride, followed by frustration. Fate then begins to imagine he's fighting foes from his past.
- Showcase #56 - Makes Hourman think that he's good friends with Psycho Pirate, winds up aiding him in a robbery.
- Showcase #56 - Gives Doctor Fate and Hourman various phobias.
- Showcase #56 - Makes Hourman and Doctor Fate fight one another; filling them with jealousy.
- Spectre #5 - Makes Jim Corrigan and the Spectre feel fear.
- All Star Comics #66 - Makes Alan Scott feel overwhelming despair.
- All Star Comics #68 - Makes Alan Scott fight Doctor Fate & Powergirl. Then fills them with despair.
- All Star Comics #68 - Makes Jay Garrick fall under his influence; then has Jay Garrick and Alan Scott defeat the Justice Society of America for him.
- Justice League of America #195 - Makes a prison guard feel sad, then happy, then fear. Uses this distraction to escape from prison.
- Justice League of America #195 - Makes two police officers feel such intense fear that they crash into another cop car; totaling them both.
- Justice League of America #196 - Makes an entire theatre of people feel fear. Utilizes the Psycho Prism (given to him by Ultra Humanite) so that no matter where you look you see his face.
- Justice League of America #197 - Makes an entire convention hall feel overwhelming sadness; then manipulates two police officers by sending them into laughing fits.
- All Star Squadron #26 - Makes an entire mob of people feel fear.
- All Star Squadron Annual #2 - Manipulates Alan Scott, Jade and Obsidian (while in his shadow form) to feel joy; also makes a mob feel fear.
- Firestorm #41 - Makes Professor Martin Stein feel terror.
- Firestorm #41 - Makes Firestorm feel "injured fury" entirely on accident. Psycho Pirate didn't realize Firestorm was looking at his face.
- Crisis on Infinite Earths #1 - Makes Killer Frost feel love for Firestorm. This love lasts a good duration during COIE.
- Crisis on Infinite Earths #2 - Makes Pariah feel joy; then makes Arion and an army of Atlantians feel overwhelming terror. He's then teleported away by the Anti-Monitor.
- Crisis on Infinite Earths #5 - Toys around with Flash (Barry Allen) and makes him feel fear.
- Crisis on Infinite Earths #6 - Was given control over 3 earths by the Anti Monitor. Was manipulating billions of people at once.
- Crisis on Infinite Earths #8 - Makes the Qwardian Weaponers turn against the Anti Monitor.
- Infinity Inc #31 - Makes someone smile who was previously angry.
- Infinity Inc #32 - Makes Brainwave Jr. & Jade feel immense anger towards one another, causing a fight between the two.
- Infinity Inc Special #1 - Has a small population under his control.
- Infinity Inc Special #1 - Has several guards kill one another.
- The Outsiders #21 - Has a man commit suicide.
- Animal Man #23 - Makes Scarecrow content to stay inside his cell.
- Animal Man #23 - Makes Ultraman calm.
- JSA Classified #3 - Turns Jay Garrick and Mister Terrific on their allies.
- JSA Classified #3 - Makes Powergirl feel joy.
- JSA Classified #4 - Makes Powergirl feel shy immediately after she attacked him.
- Infinite Crisis #1 - Makes Ray feel joy after he was threatening to kill him.
- Infinite Crisis #4 - Makes Black Adam feel fear; forces him to say Shazam.
He has some more emotional manipulation that he does during Blackest Night, but in Black Lantern form. Those will be in a separate section, though he wasn't given any serious power boost (manipulation wise) from being a Black Lantern.
3.0 Medusa Mask
The Medusa Mask is what Psycho Pirate usages to recharge his powers & what was the original source of his abilities.
- Infinity Inc Special #1 - Had melted down all of the other Medusa Masks into the one mask.
- JSA Classified #3 - Tanks a laser blast from a T-Sphere that hits him directly in the face.
- JSA Classified #4 - Tanks heat vision from Power Girl, again, directly in the face.
4.0 Construct Generation
After Crisis on Infinite Earths the Psycho Pirate began to go insane, as he was the only one who remembered things before the Crisis happened. This resulted in his ability to summon characters who were removed from continuity during the Crisis.
Eventually he gained the ability to make constructs in other forms and his constructs can manipulate like his real self would.
- Animal Man #10 - Remembers the Crisis. Fears being removed from continuity.
- Animal Man #22 - Summons a comic book from his mind. He also calls the reader a pervert, as Psycho Pirate is aware he's in a comic book.
- Animal Man #23 - Summons a bunch of retconned characters back into existence.
- Animal Man #23 - Summons Overman (brings him into existence) who is a dark version of Superman.
- JSA Classified #2 - Summons very realistic constructs of the Legion of Superheros. Uses them to fool Power Girl.
- JSA Classified #3 - Summons constructs of various heroes and villains; again uses them to fool Power Girl.
- JSA Classified #3 - Summons a construct of himself; uses it to manipulate the JSA.
- JSA Classified #4 - Summons another construct of himself after Power Girl destroyed the original one.
5.0 Black Lantern
Psycho Pirate was one of the characters who came back as a Black Lantern.
- Blackest Night Superman #2 - Stirs up a mob of people.
- Blackest Night Superman #2/3 - Manipulates Superboy into fighting Superman.
- Blackest Night Superman #3 - The Medusa Mask can be used to sever a Black Lantern's connection.
There you have the Psycho Pirate. He did appear in the N52 but had so few appearances (and his powers were different) that it wasn't added here. If the demand is high enough I can create a section specifically for him. He's also had some appearances in Rebirth but nothing noteworthy yet; he's sort of been a pawn for Hugo Strange.
It was real fun looking into this character more and making this thread for him, he's always been interesting to me but I never knew exactly what he could do or how powerful he was. Having him remember the events before Crisis on Infinite Earths and making him go a bit insane was a real nice touch to the character.
As always; suggest new characters, correct any feats I may've gotten wrong, and enjoy the RT!