User Lists: 3

Respect Psycho Pirate

No Caption Provided

General Information

• Name: Roger Hayden
  • Alias: Psycho Pirate II
  • Hometown: Unknown, Earth-2
  • Team Affiliations: The Anti Monitor, Secret Society of Super Villains
  • Bio: Roger Hayden is the second person to take the identity of the Psycho Pirate. Having learned all about emotions and the medusa mask from the first Psycho Pirate he was able to obtain the mask(s) and begin using them to commit crimes. During the Crisis on Infinite Earths he was taken captive by the Anti Monitor and in the aftermath of the Crisis he had gone insane. It turns out that Hayden was the only one who remembered all of the worlds before they were destroyed during the Crisis and he had the ability to bring them back into continuity, doing so put a strain on him and broke his mind, again and he seemingly vanished. Hayden eventually reappeared and worked with Alexander Luthor until he was killed by Black Adam.

Table of Contents

1. Origin
  2. Emotional Manipulation
  3. Medusa Mask
  4. Construct Generation
  5. Black Lantern
  6. Conclusion

1.0 Origin

As mentioned, Roger Hayden is the second (but most well known) individual to go by the title of Psycho Pirate.

• Showcase #56 - Easy to follow origin. Met the original Psycho Pirate while in prison. Learned everything he could from him and used it to obtain the Medusa Masks, as there were multiple to begin with, becomes the Psycho Pirate II.

2.0 Emotional Manipulation

Psycho Pirate has the primary ability to manipulate the emotions of others through eye contact/seeing his face. A few quick notes about his power(s)

• He can use his powers with or without his mask; though he'll use the mask to recharge his power if he's gone without wearing it for too long.
  • The effects of his power seems to linger for quite a long duration of time, placing those under his control indefinitely until he decides otherwise, or if the individual has some sort of resistance.
  • Those under the effect of his power seem to follow commands such as defending him, fighting their allies, robbing banks, or, even killing themselves/their friends.

So, there's a quick rundown on his emotional manipulation; now here it is in action.

He has some more emotional manipulation that he does during Blackest Night, but in Black Lantern form. Those will be in a separate section, though he wasn't given any serious power boost (manipulation wise) from being a Black Lantern.

3.0 Medusa Mask

The Medusa Mask is what Psycho Pirate usages to recharge his powers & what was the original source of his abilities.

4.0 Construct Generation

After Crisis on Infinite Earths the Psycho Pirate began to go insane, as he was the only one who remembered things before the Crisis happened. This resulted in his ability to summon characters who were removed from continuity during the Crisis.

Eventually he gained the ability to make constructs in other forms and his constructs can manipulate like his real self would.

• Animal Man #10 - Remembers the Crisis. Fears being removed from continuity.
  • Animal Man #22 - Summons a comic book from his mind. He also calls the reader a pervert, as Psycho Pirate is aware he's in a comic book.
  • Animal Man #23 - Summons a bunch of retconned characters back into existence.
  • Animal Man #23 - Summons Overman (brings him into existence) who is a dark version of Superman.
  • JSA Classified #2 - Summons very realistic constructs of the Legion of Superheros. Uses them to fool Power Girl.
  • JSA Classified #3 - Summons constructs of various heroes and villains; again uses them to fool Power Girl.
  • JSA Classified #3 - Summons a construct of himself; uses it to manipulate the JSA.
  • JSA Classified #4 - Summons another construct of himself after Power Girl destroyed the original one.

5.0 Black Lantern

Psycho Pirate was one of the characters who came back as a Black Lantern.

Conclusion

There you have the Psycho Pirate. He did appear in the N52 but had so few appearances (and his powers were different) that it wasn't added here. If the demand is high enough I can create a section specifically for him. He's also had some appearances in Rebirth but nothing noteworthy yet; he's sort of been a pawn for Hugo Strange.

It was real fun looking into this character more and making this thread for him, he's always been interesting to me but I never knew exactly what he could do or how powerful he was. Having him remember the events before Crisis on Infinite Earths and making him go a bit insane was a real nice touch to the character.

As always; suggest new characters, correct any feats I may've gotten wrong, and enjoy the RT!

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Sy8000  Online

I just remembered this, was it ever said if the power-up from Anti-Monitor was permanent?

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sy8000 said:

I just remembered this, was it ever said if the power-up from Anti-Monitor was permanent?

I don't think it was given that we never saw him manipulate that many people at once after the events of COIE but I don't remember it ever being stated that the power up went away, just that Psycho Pirate literally went insane after COIE and never really managed to get back to a 'sane' mental state.

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Sy8000  Online
The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fantastic respect thread, Psycho Pirate is quite an underrated character.

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd said:

Fantastic respect thread, Psycho Pirate is quite an underrated character.

Thank you! I've always been curious about his potential after I first saw him in COIE. Glad I went and read his appearances, quite a great character.

Really love what was done w/him during Animal Man. Wish more came from that in his later appearances.