• 193 results
Avatar image for theamazingspidey
#101 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17844 posts) - - Show Bio

@ganon15 said:

@theamazingspidey: Here:

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/04/18/avengers-infinity-war-more-funny-captain-america-films/

Are there any spoilers?

#102 Posted by madcrusher (293 posts) - - Show Bio

@ganon15 said:

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/04/18/avengers-infinity-war-more-funny-captain-america-films/

i love these movies but geesh more comedy. Hopefully the way the integrate it is natural and not forced. i was hoping for this movie to be mostly dark and serious with just a little comedy.

#103 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17844 posts) - - Show Bio

@ganon15 said:

i love these movies but geesh more comedy. Hopefully the way the integrate it is natural and not forced. i was hoping for this movie to be mostly dark and serious with just a little comedy.

Are there any spoilers in that article?

#104 Posted by ganon15 (7211 posts) - - Show Bio

@madcrusher said:
@ganon15 said:

Are there any spoilers in that article?

No

#105 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17844 posts) - - Show Bio

@ganon15: just read the article. I'm honestly cool with the humour, especially in a movie like this. What's the point of having all of these characters in one film if you're not gonna show their strong personalities bounce off each other?

I just hope the humour doesn't inappropriately alleviate the weight of the drama. I guessed that Marvel would want to add more humour in this, to ensure all audiences leave with a smile on their face (another reason I don't think this movie will have a sad ending) and optimise repeat viewings.

#106 Posted by MrAugen (1020 posts) - - Show Bio

.65 billion domestic
1.15 billion internationally
1.8 billion total

#107 Posted by byrd42 (793 posts) - - Show Bio

@ganon15 said:

I agree. Too much comedy could drag the film down and make it seem less real and compelling.

#108 Posted by Iragexcudder (9464 posts) - - Show Bio

2.2 bil

#109 Posted by Saberscar223 (4457 posts) - - Show Bio

@ganon15: just read the article. I'm honestly cool with the humour, especially in a movie like this. What's the point of having all of these characters in one film if you're not gonna show their strong personalities bounce off each other?

I just hope the humour doesn't inappropriately alleviate the weight of the drama. I guessed that Marvel would want to add more humour in this, to ensure all audiences leave with a smile on their face (another reason I don't think this movie will have a sad ending) and optimise repeat viewings.

Civil wars ending wasn’t really happy

#110 Edited by byrd42 (793 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey said:

It also didn't get the $450-$500M domestically that some thought it would make.

#111 Posted by madcrusher (293 posts) - - Show Bio

@byrd42 said:
@saberscar223 said:
@theamazingspidey said:

It also didn't get the $450-$500M domestically that some thought it would make.

Hey 1.1 billion by CW ain't too shabby.

To counter that BP mad 1.3 billion and counting and it wasn't a jokefest. It was a pretty serious movie, not a ton of jokes had some darkness in it but ended on an uplifting note. I hope IW is similar in tone to that.

#112 Posted by omriamar (7068 posts) - - Show Bio

More Than JL;)

#113 Posted by LDM (5362 posts) - - Show Bio

Infinite

#114 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17844 posts) - - Show Bio

"It won't top the first Avengers worldwide."

No Caption Provided

#115 Posted by BullPR (6035 posts) - - Show Bio
#116 Edited by TonyMartial (9888 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey: Its still behind the Last Jedi in pre sales and that opened with 220mill and finished its run with 1.3 b WW... The new Deadpool trailer looked really good, IWs legs will get killed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c830d4e319e6
#117 Posted by deactivated-5c830d4e319e6 (4952 posts) - - Show Bio

@tonymartial:

Mate you can't be actually serious if you believe that Infinty war will make 1.3 b or less. It will 100% make more money than Black Panther. I am almost certain that it will surpass the first Avengers movie by a significant margin.

#118 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17844 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey: Its still behind the Last Jedi in pre sales and that opened with 220mill and finished its run with 1.3 b WW... The new Deadpool trailer looked really good, IWs legs will get killed.

Do you actually think this won't make more than 1.3 billion?

#119 Posted by TonyMartial (9888 posts) - - Show Bio
#120 Posted by TonyMartial (9888 posts) - - Show Bio
#121 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17844 posts) - - Show Bio

@originalcaptain: My prediction is around 1.45b.

Disagree with that prediction. Deadpool and Solo will definitely affect it, but they won't stop it from surpassing the first Avengers WW.

Also, The Last Jedi opened up to 220 million. Infinity War is already projected for 235 million.

#122 Posted by TonyMartial (9888 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey: Deadline were projecting 220mill and Harry Potter DH Part 2 taught us that a big big OW isnt always an amazing thing. I think I've been through this with you before.

#123 Posted by LDM (5362 posts) - - Show Bio

More than the DCEU fanboys can count

#124 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17844 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey: Deadline were projecting 220mill and Harry Potter DH Part 2 taught us that a big big OW isnt always an amazing thing. I think I've been through this with you before.

So now you're going to tell me that a big opening weekend isn't a good thing and won't help much?

I don't care what you think about the legs - that opening weekend will definitely help.

Also, Deathly Hallows is the worst example you could use to illustrate your point. That movie made 1.35 billion. That is great, and if Infinity War has a bigger opening, it should top that movie (and the first Avengers).

#125 Posted by madcrusher (293 posts) - - Show Bio

@ldm said:

More than the DCEU fanboys can count

good point

#126 Posted by TonyMartial (9888 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey: Its definitely helps but theres a term called frontloaded. Well it needs legs to the people above thinking it can do 1.8b+ but thats not happening with a hd rip online and DP2 and Solo upcoming. Oh its really the "worst example", how about Civil War which only grossed 1.1b. People were predicting this film would beat the Avengers when it had a big OW, but guess what? In the end it had terrible legs.

#127 Posted by Amcu (17046 posts) - - Show Bio

I still don't see it doing $2 billion. I'd love to be wrong but $1.45-$1.7 Billion seems like a good prediction to me. Maybe a little more or less.

#128 Edited by TheAmazingSpidey (17844 posts) - - Show Bio

@tonymartial said:

@theamazingspidey: Its definitely helps but theres a term called frontloaded. Well it needs legs to the people above thinking it can do 1.8b+ but thats not happening with a hd rip online and DP2 and Solo upcoming. Oh its really the "worst example", how about Civil War which only grossed 1.1b. People were predicting this film would beat the Avengers when it had a big OW, but guess what? In the end it had terrible legs.

You're barking the wrong tree. I never thought Civil War would top the first Avengers, so you can't use that argument against me. Hype, pre-sales, brand recognition, trailer views, social media attention and star power are all higher in favour of Infinity War, which is the culmination of 10 years worth of MCU films, unlike Civil War. You're not even taking into account the fact Infinity War will bring in all the people who supported Black Panther (some of who don't generally watch MCU films).

As I said, my friend who doesn't read comics sat with me in the middle of art class and talked to me about soul stone theories, and that was 4 months ago. I don't care about Civil War - that wasn't as hyped as IW.

#129 Posted by TonyMartial (9888 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey: Im not referring to you. I'm talking about the majority of people on the box office forum back in 2016, when they started marketing Spider-Man, people were saying it would outgross the Avengers. I'll even admit myself, the Civil War marketing campaign was very good, better than IW imo. Come on thats only one dude. Yes I agree with you, Civil War isnt as hyped as IW but it still had loads of hype at the time.

You're not even taking into account the fact Infinity War will bring in all the people who supported Black Panther

Everyone said that about Wonder Woman and Justice League, it didnt even impact JLs box office one bit.

#130 Edited by TheAmazingSpidey (17844 posts) - - Show Bio

@tonymartial:

Everyone said that about Wonder Woman and Justice League, it didnt even impact JLs box office one bit.

That's because Justice League was a shit film people didn't care about and Wonder Woman wasn't as big a success as Black Panther. This is an awful comparison.

when they started marketing Spider-Man, people were saying it would outgross the Avengers

Well, those people are/were wrong. TASM2 destroyed a lot of love people had for Spider-Man (which Marvel revitalised with Homecoming).

#131 Edited by TonyMartial (9888 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspideyWait so IW is guaranteed to be good now? Ok, so if people didnt care about the JL even with they're liking of WW, why would people who liked BP suddenly want to see/care about the Avengers? "this film is really successful, then this film will get a massive boost" is irrelevant. Both BP and WW were generally well received across the board.

Avatar image for war_of_light_2814
#132 Posted by war of light_2814 (2829 posts) - - Show Bio

It has decent chance at beating TFA opening since it's not that far behind TLJ in advanced ticket sales and Star wars is much more pre-sale heavy than MCU. However, Deadpool 2 is slaying in pre-sale as well so it could amputate IW legs .

I don't think it'll make less than Avengers 1 but I doubt it'll comes anywhere close to 2 billion, beating Jurassic world would be a challenge.

#133 Edited by TheAmazingSpidey (17844 posts) - - Show Bio

@tonymartial:

Wait so IW is guaranteed to be good now?

Given Marvel's track record, it's highly likely it will be.

Ok, so if people didnt care about the JL even with they're liking of WW, why would people who liked BP suddenly want to see/care about the Avengers?

Because at the end of the day, people don't want to watch a shit movie. If Infinity War is shit, I doubt people who watched BP will support it.

And TBH I doubt that Wonder Woman made so much money because "people who don't care about DC movies watched it." Wonder Woman was a success because:

• Wonder Woman is a cultural icon and has been one long before the movie.
  • It was a good DC movie.

I doubt Wonder Woman was succesful because women went out to see it.

Both BP and WW were generally well received across the board.

Black Panther was a much bigger success than WW. Black Panther is a much bigger phenomenon than Wonder Woman. And unlike WW and JL, the third act of Infinity War takes place in Wakanda.

Black Panther: Worldwide = 10th highest grossing movie of all time, Domestic = 3rd highest grossing movie of all time, higher than Titanic, Jurassic World and even the first Avengers movie.

Wonder Woman: Worldwide = 67th highest grossing movie of all time, Domestic = 22nd highest grossing movie of all time

#134 Posted by madcrusher (293 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey: Im not referring to you. I'm talking about the majority of people on the box office forum back in 2016, when they started marketing Spider-Man, people were saying it would outgross the Avengers. I'll even admit myself, the Civil War marketing campaign was very good, better than IW imo. Come on thats only one dude. Yes I agree with you, Civil War isnt as hyped as IW but it still had loads of hype at the time.

You're not even taking into account the fact Infinity War will bring in all the people who supported Black Panther

great point tony. People assume there will be this massive influx of BP audience. I am skeptical of how huge a contingent that will be and the effect it will have. It could be 1%, 5%, 20 % or 35% of that audience. We simply don't know and there's no accurate way to gauge their interest in IW after only seeing BP. Maybe there is some polling out there on this.

#135 Edited by TheAmazingSpidey (17844 posts) - - Show Bio

@madcrusher said:
@tonymartial said:

great point tony. People assume there will be this massive influx of BP audience. I am skeptical of how huge a contingent that will be and the effect it will have. It could be 1%, 5%, 20 % or 35% of that audience. We simply don't know and there's no accurate way to gauge their interest in IW after only seeing BP. Maybe there is some polling out there on this.

• Black Panther was a much bigger success and box office phenomenon than WW.
  • JL had awful word of mouth, reviews, behind-the-scenes.
  • Wakanda has been prominently featured in marketing and is the third-act of the movie.
  • 25% of Infinity War pre-sales are African-American. You can't already against BP impact - the stats speak for themselves.
  • You can't compare the DCEU to the MCU. Whichever new fans Wonder Woman brought in, were brought into a sinking ship.

#136 Posted by madcrusher (293 posts) - - Show Bio

It has decent chance at beating TFA opening since it's not that far behind TLJ in advanced ticket sales and Star wars is much more pre-sale heavy than MCU. However, Deadpool 2 is slaying in pre-sale as well so it could amputate IW legs .

I don't think it'll make less than Avengers 1 but I doubt it'll comes anywhere close to 2 billion, beating Jurassic world would be a challenge.

THere's no question about it. DP 2 will cut off those week 4-6 legs along with Solo. IW is gonna have to be hella front loaded to get a WW anywhere near 1.6 - 1.8 billion which most people are predicting. No Way it gets to 2 billion unless it just goes bonkers overseas. It'll be hard for IW to beat BP domestic gross.

#137 Posted by madcrusher (293 posts) - - Show Bio

@mraugen said:

.65 billion domestic

1.15 billion internationally

1.8 billion total

agreed i think this is the normal mid -range expectation. The Chinese BO will factor huge in this film's success.

#138 Posted by madcrusher (293 posts) - - Show Bio

@madcrusher said:
@tonymartial said:

• Wakanda has been prominently featured in marketing and is the third-act of the movie.
  • 25% of Infinity War pre-sales are African-American. You can't already against BP impact - the stats speak for themselves.
  • You can't compare the DCEU to the MCU. Whichever new fans Wonder Woman brought in, were brought into a sinking ship.

Hey where'd you find that 25% IW presales being African American figure?

#139 Posted by war of light_2814 (2829 posts) - - Show Bio

@war_of_light_2814 said:

THere's no question about it. DP 2 will cut off those week 4-6 legs along with Solo. IW is gonna have to be hella front loaded to get a WW anywhere near 1.6 - 1.8 billion which most people are predicting. No Way it gets to 2 billion unless it just goes bonkers overseas. It'll be hard for IW to beat BP domestic gross.

I honestly don't get anyone who thinks 2b+ is guarunteed, to get that kind of numbers you need make it a "must see" movie across all generations, Avatar did that with cutting edge 3d, Star Wars (barely) did it with 30 years hype, IW need a (huge) trick up it sleeve if it before it can even hopes to pull that off.

#140 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17844 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey said:
@madcrusher said:
@tonymartial said:

Hey where'd you find that 25% IW presales being African American figure?

I heard someone say it on reddit, but I tried finding it and couldn't find it so it might not be true, but the rest of my comment stands.

#141 Edited by byrd42 (793 posts) - - Show Bio

@tonymartial said:

That is very debatable. I think Justice League would have done $15-$20 million less domestically if it weren't for the presence of Wonder Woman. I know that I only went to see JL because of the presence of Wonder Woman.

#142 Posted by Rustlingjimmy (1185 posts) - - Show Bio

3 billion

#143 Posted by byrd42 (793 posts) - - Show Bio

I read that Dead Pool 2 is expected to have about a $100 million 3 day opening. Surely that will drop IW 55% instead of 45%, which will cost it maybe $10-$20 million off its domestic run. It will definitely hurt its legs but it will come far from amputating.

#144 Posted by war of light_2814 (2829 posts) - - Show Bio

@byrd42 said:
@war_of_light_2814 said:

I read that Dead Pool 2 is expected to have about a $100 million 3 day opening. Surely that will drop IW 55% instead of 45%, which will cost it maybe $10-$20 million off its domestic run. It will definitely hurt its legs but it will come far from amputating.

True, but that prediction probably needs an update after the positive reaction on the final trailer and pre-sale.

#145 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17844 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

Do people still think it won't top Avengers at the box office?

#146 Edited by TonyMartial (9888 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey: Whats so special about this? Just because its opening in loads of screens doesnt mean all of them will automatically be full. India never even a make serious amount of money for MCU films. Lets not forget that Raazi is opening 2 weeks after

Man, next week Sunday is going to be interesting.

#147 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17844 posts) - - Show Bio
#148 Posted by TonyMartial (9888 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey: Yes... for the opening weekend. And the fact that they've literally only just released tickets for India, I was able to book mine a month ago in the UK, of course you're gonna get loads of people ready to book when they leave it last minute. Still 20 mill max for this film in India.

Nope, 11th May.

#149 Edited by TheAmazingSpidey (17844 posts) - - Show Bio

@tonymartial:

Yes... for the opening weekend.

Yep. Meaning it will have a huge opening weekend in India.

Nope, 11th May.

True. I mixed up Raazi and Kaala.

Still 20 mill max for this film in India.

That's pretty huge for India.

#150 Posted by Amcu (17046 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey:

India will certainly help but Age of Ultron only made $16 million in India.

Even if IW makes double that $33 million isn't going to be that significant of a role in getting to $1.5 billion. Countries like China, the United Kingdom or even South Korea are likely to much more significant in IW's box office.