Predator (1987) vs. Prey (2022)

• 50 results
NovaPrime2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Predator (1987) vs. Prey (2022) (41 votes)

Predator 73%
Prey 27%

I've yet to watch Prey, but it's got high reviews, with some even saying it's better than the original. I'm gonna watch it tomorrow and come back to this, but for those who have seen it and have seen the original, which is better iyo?

• 
Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Straight-Fire

Prey.

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed Prey, but still going with Predator.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Wolfrazer

The original, I found it's characters to be much better. Prey's only good characters were Naru and her brother, the rest just were....eh?

But the OG Predator characters all had different sorts of personality and how they rationalized or tried to handle what was hunting them. This scene in particular.

Loading Video...

You can read vastly different ways of thinking from each character.

On an overall, the suspense was better in the original too I feel.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wut??

Predator is recognized as one of the greatest action films of all time.

Prey is melatonin in cinematic form.

RJR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So basically a top gun/alien situation, where the sequel is better than the original.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed Prey, but still going with Predator.

Same

Y2G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Predator

Subline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Prey

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Predator

kaijuking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sigh Prey is on same level as Predators or Predator 2. Its not same boat as the Original.

advent_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Prey was ok but it suffered from Mary Sueness which would have made the movie even better if it wasn't there, even Arnold couldn't figure out Predator tech and he was from a more advantage era than Nayu.

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

The first had massive amounts of testosterone so... Hard to beat that

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@advent_: I mean Dutch didn't really have a chance to use any of the tech, plus the Predator's helmet from Prey wouldn't be hard to figure out since she saw how it worked multiple times.

advent_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By advent_

@wolfrazer: Predator literally took off its mask and tossed in the ground, if it was reversed Nayu would have sprinted passed the predator and picked up the mask and some how have the plasma caster shoot the predator.

She really was a Mary Sue tbh, she literally got away with things that the previous characters wouldn't have gotten away so easily.

She even tanks a choke slam with out even bleeding, a mere slap was making Dutch ragdoll and bleed.

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rjr said:

So basically a top gun/alien situation, where the sequel is better than the original.

No Caption Provided

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#19 frozen  Moderator

The original is way better.

Darkvanderling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Predator any day.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@advent_: The latter I'll agree with, it's hard to imagine that when the Pred pretty much downed a bear with one shot and then lifted it with ease.

X-Rey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watched both and I don't see a huge difference in quality. Old heads just like to put old shit on a different level.

batstroke2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By batstroke2000

So many butthurt incels on this site can't even admit that Prey is not only a great film, but surpassed the original. Naru>>>>>>>>>Dutch.

Kiss my male feminist arse you cannibalistic humanoid underground basement dwellers!!!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24 the_stegman  Moderator

I like Prey more

J_Normal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@advent_:

That doesnt sound like being a Mary Sue. It just sounds like main character plot armor. She was the inly one in the film who had literal hours to observe and plan against the predator.

J_Normal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly this comment section is odd to me consider prey literally utilized the blueprint from the OG predator.

To go even further a lot of the criticisms im seeing for Prey are literally WORSE in the predator.

advent_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By advent_

@j_normal: That's not plot armor, plot armor you still get injured

She was no selling attacks that literally earlier were killing things bigger and stronger than her.

Even Dutch got his ass handed to him by mere slaps

Dutch was also never able to LITERALLY blitz the Predators hand off, literal Mary Sueness did that.

If you can't see it then there's nothing for us to talk about because she can literally kill Galactus and you'd still say she wasn't a Mary Sue.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Zetsu-San

@advent_:

Arnold couldn't figure out Predator tech and he was from a more advantage era than Nayu.

I don't recall Arnold ever really getting the chance to study the tech. The only thing she really used was the spear (which the Predator deactivated on her) and she understood that the laser marks the target.

Also this Predator wasn't using the same tech as the one from the original movie. It likely had to downgrade due to humans being more primitive. Also, I kind of feel like this Predator was the Yautja equivalent of a "tacticool mall ninja asshole", with all the flashy and weird gear he was using.

Predator literally took off its mask and tossed in the ground, if it was reversed Nayu would have sprinted passed the predator and picked up the mask and some how have the plasma caster shoot the predator.

I don't really know what this paragraph is supposed to mean, but he took it off after getting shot through the back of the head and being disoriented. She was also basically invisible to him at the time.

She really was a Mary Sue tbh, she literally got away with things that the previous characters wouldn't have gotten away so easily.

In the early part, it was because he didn't view her as a threat. In the later part of the story, it was because it was massively injured before their final confrontation even happened.

Yes, she had plot armor, but I don't think it was any worse than your average action-horror protagonist.

She even tanks a choke slam with out even bleeding, a mere slap was making Dutch ragdoll and bleed.

I'm pretty sure he was grabbing her for a villain gloat moment. So, basic plot armor. Not to mention he was... again, heavily injured, probably suffering from brain damage.

Edit: Actually I just checked, he did this to exact same thing to a guy earlier in the movie. So it was completely in-character for the Yautja to go for the shield finisher instead of killing with the choke slam.

That's not plot armor, plot armor you still get injured

Um... Wat?

Dutch was also never able to LITERALLY blitz the Predators hand off, literal Mary Sueness did that.

She never blitzed the Predator's hand off. She struck his shield as he was activating it, and he accidentally chopped his own arm off.

Also... You realize that this Predator isn't the Predator Dutch fought, right? They're literally different characters, with completely different skill levels.

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 takenstew22  Moderator

There's no way this one is better than the OG Predator. Legit one of the best action films of all time.

Since I just realized it didn't come out in theaters and is already on D+ I'll likely watch it with my dad next week.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sigh Prey is on same level as Predators or Predator 2. Its not same boat as the Original.

I think both this and Predator 2 are significantly better than Predators.

J_Normal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By J_Normal

@advent_:

1. I din’t think you understand what a Mary Sue is. A Mary or Gary Sue is a character who has no flaws written into them and handles each situation correctly. This honestly fits Dutch more than Naru.

2. Naru only got hit once by the predator that knocked her down and both were backhands after getting his arm cut off. Plot armor I guess but not more than any other protagonist surviving stuff they shouldn’t.

3. When the hell did she blitz its head off? She shot him in the back of the head when she was invisible to him.

4. Why is her using the gear out of the question. Quite frankly it wasnt that complicated. She observed the arrows went where the lasers pointed and used it as a trap.

EDIT:

Dude I just watched that Dutch vs Predator fight and he was taking blow after blow to the head. You want to call Naru who only took 2 hits a Mary Sue and NOT DUTCH LMFAO.

advent_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By advent_

@j_normal: Bruh you're a simp

That Predator in the same film killed a bear in one punch

At least Dutch never took a punch he just survived literal slaps which made him bleed, the Predator never made Nayu bleed from his attacks.

Stop simping for Nayu 😂

J_Normal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@advent_:

Bruh what?

Watch that Dutch fight. Dude was taking haymakers left and right. If you want to use the bear as an indicator Dutch should have dies.

Kind of curious why stating what happened in the film makes me a simp.

advent_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By advent_
@j_normal said:

@advent_:

Bruh what?

Watch that Dutch fight. Dude was taking haymakers left and right. If you want to use the bear as an indicator Dutch should have dies.

Kind of curious why stating what happened in the film makes me a simp.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

You're literally insane, Dutch was getting floored by the Predators slaps and open palm strikes and literally spitting out blood and forced to crawl on the ground.

Mean while Naru is blitzing the Predator and tanking his attacks without injury or even being stunned in pain

Dutch and his crew couldn't even dodge the Predator or scratch it in melee but Dutch is the Mary Sue not Naru?

You do know that prior to Prey every Predator film has the protagonist injured or worn out all who were bigger and stronger than her?

Even Dutch canonically dies of a heart attack from the PTSD of the fight but Naru is as perfect condition as she started in the film

Don't forget by actual background she's the least skilled and experienced out of all the people who fought and survived the Predator and despite this she came out the least harmed.

J_Normal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@advent_:

You're literally insane, Dutch was getting floored by the Predators slaps and open palm strikes and literally spitting out blood and forced to crawl on the ground

You're a liar. Dutch got struck a total of 10 times by the Predator and survived. Only 2 of those strikes were open hand slaps.

Mean while Naru is blitzing the Predator and tanking his attacks without injury or even being stunned in pain

Again you are a liar. Naru at no point blitzed the predator and only took 2 back hands after falling to the ground. Quite frankly it didn't even look like those strikes didn't make full contact.

Dutch and his crew couldn't even dodge the Predator or scratch it in melee but Dutch is the Mary Sue not Naru?

Every single Comanche performed better than Dutch against the predator in melee combat. This is a skills issue that in no way supports your argument.

You do know that prior to Prey every Predator film has the protagonist injured or worn out all who were bigger and stronger than her?

There is a gross lack of context for each of these fights that played out in different ways. In Predators (2010) the protagonist took 0 hits from the Predator and was exhausted from all the running. In Predators (2018) the protagonists took 0 hits from the super predator and didn't display fatigue more than that of Naru. In the AvP movies the predators no diffed every human they came into contact with.

Even Dutch canonically dies of a heart attack from the PTSD of the fight but Naru is as perfect condition as she started in the film

This literally has nothing to do with battle damage. Also I don't know if you noticed but Naru literally didn't fight the predator until the end of the movie... not shit she wasn't as tired as people like Dutch and Glover who were fighting it through the night and day.

Don't forget by actual background she's the least skilled and experienced out of all the people who fought and survived the Predator and despite this she came out the least harmed.

Based of what??? She literally beat the shit out of one of her tribes best fighters. The only person who out performed her in that movie was her brother. She probably has more close combat training than anyone in the previous predator films giving that aside from bows Native Americans engaged in melee warfare.

Watcer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 38

Predator easily. Prey is just hyped, nothing else.

skywalker95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By skywalker95

Gonna watch them both back to back right now and come back to this. I love Predator although it's been ages since I've seen it so I'll be amazed if Prey ends up being better.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@advent_: Bruh, Dutch got sent flying through the air from, a smack to the face, and was perfectly fine, in the video YOU POSTED.

Naru never blitzed the Predator, she was effective in close range, because she was invisible to it. Dutch had already lost his mud by the time he engaged melee with the Predator. He also survived the “oh so deadly” choke slam, in an earlier clip of the fight.

Meanwhile, the Predator Naru fought, was heavily injured by the time their final confrontation happened.

You’re also ignoring that... the Predator from Prey and the Predator from the original are... get this... two completely different characters...

fabricolage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just like both movies. Maybe both protagonists have hysterical strength on whatever you guys are talking about.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is even being argued at this point? Something about strength or what?

J_Normal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

McFlicky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers