Post-Justice League film: Will Cyborg become "the new Aquaman"?

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 109

Poll Post-Justice League film: Will Cyborg become "the new Aquaman"? (25 votes)

Yes, he will be seen as a lame afterthought 28%
No, he will prove to be a highlight of the movie 4%
No, Aquaman shall never escape his stigma 12%
No, the media would rather pick on Hawkeye 32%
Stop being so Catty... 24%

Aquaman has traditionally been portrayed as a joke by the mainstream media who somehow still remember a crappily-animated cartoon cancelled 30 years ago, I don't think I need to explain this by now. The Justice League movie, however, will reach a much larger audience and for a younger generation will no doubt be their introduction to the team. It's basically a fresh start for the character's future... à la Iron Man going from "some guy" to "the guy".

The trailer dropped and Arthur Curry's stock seems to have gone quite up, his appearance being touted by more than a few as one of, if not, the highlight of the trailer - needless to say he has gained considerable buzz recently. (Flash too, though that was slightly more expected.)

Of the characters introduced, notably Cyborg does not seem to have benefited much. He's being played by a rather unknown actor, as a character does not have the fame/infamy of the others and his scenes were the ones receiving the most criticism regarding the effects - if talked about at all.

What are the chances of Cyborg inheriting the "nobody's favourite character" mantle ...at least as far as the mainstream media is concerned?

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-61e3068763b41
deactivated-61e3068763b41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

nah i think he will get the respect he deserves, especially after the comments Mr Snyder made about him.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

#2  Edited By black_wreath

nah i think he will get the respect he deserves, especially after the comments Mr Snyder made about him.

Oh? What did he say?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've never liked Cyborg, he is just another sucky black-superhero with lame powers. Just calling him Cyborg is honestly kind of disrespectful from my point of view. It's like calling a One-Legged Hero "One-Leg." Even calling him something vague like "Syntax" would be better than "Cyborg", lol. Even "Grid" sounds better than the common "Cyborg". He desperately needs to be modernized, and given the "Ultimate/MCU Falcon treatment".

Avatar image for firestormfate1919
FirestormFate1919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FirestormFate1919

Nah, I'm not sure if the character's gonna be great, but I doubt anyone makes fun of his power-level or usefulness (ie: Hawkeye or Aquaman). He already looks like a much stronger Iron Man + Technopathy + Mother Box Hax just from the trailer. That's about a bajillion times more useful than Hawkeye or Black Widow.

I don't think anyone in the League is at risk of being seen as useless. They all look like powerhouses except for Batman, and he's frickin Batman (plus y'know, the Tech, Intelligence, Tactical Genius, and Leadership).

I just hope he's an interesting character, because someone that versatile can easily become a plot device like I felt Cyborg was in the New 52 story. He needs some personality.

Iara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He'll definitely have his most of action where he contributes to the fight. I really liked the new mask and seeing him fly so I'm not worried from that angle.

It's too early to say how they'll handle his personality. We only saw him deliver one line although it did seem rather emotionless. In the comics they made him extremely bland when he joined the JL which was disappointing. I'm hoping his relationship with his dad is done fine but more importantly that he has some good chemistry with the team. He's definitely the biggest question mark for me right now and I really hope they make him a bit more dynamic.

Gotoucanario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He tackled a tank in the trailer, I think he will be okay. Not best hero ever material but not animated fish rider material either.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@donwayneii said:

Oh? What did he say?

Here's a link to what I found: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Why-Cyborg-Batman-V-Superman-Cameo-Was-So-Important-According-Zack-Snyder-121137.html

"I really wanted to show Cyborg’s birth because I feel like he plays such a strong part coming up, and I really wanted to give a sense of him. I really want [the audience] to know how far he’s come."

It's kind of vague but it is a statement that gives some hope for the character. Unlike David S. Goyer, Zack does seem to at least have respect for heroes other than Batman.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He tackled a tank in the trailer, I think he will be okay. Not best hero ever material but not animated fish rider material either.

This. He's already demonstrated a high level of strength. Plus he can fly, and will likely be invaluable when interacting with various pieces of tech. And of course he has a cannon built into his arm.

I doubt anyone will walk away from this movie thinking he can't handle himself.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DarthAznable

Best Cyborg was Teen Titans on CN.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967bf6197d40
deactivated-5967bf6197d40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think he'll be a lame afterthought, but I doubt he's what people are going to be talking about when they leave the theater. He'll be there, he'll be cool if the movie is good, but he probably won't be a highlight. Also:

Best Cyborg was Teen Titans on CN.

Truth.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think so. The Aquaman joke is an easy joke by people that know nothing about the character other than "he talks to fish, har har". Cyborg doesn't have any low-hanging fruit to pick like the fish thing. He also has plenty of powerful weapons that people won't pull the Hawkeye 'he's useless' jokes.

Cyborg could be the least interesting character of the bunch, but I don't think he'll be the butt of any jokes.