*poll* Sexist or Woman empowerment? You make the call!

• 165 results
lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

Poll *poll* Sexist or Woman empowerment? You make the call! (131 votes)

female exploitive 60%
female empowerment 38%

here is a picture from Suicide Squad #27. A reviewer for this site said that this was a negative in his review because powergirl's body is being put out there front and center.

I say that this picture shows powergirl reigns supreme as she holds up a collapsed mountain from falling on the dudes. Also, its a pretty picture.

Either way you think, its good debate material.

• 
SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

her ass is really awkwardly out there. like its just ass for the sake of ass.......and that lifting position.......yeah i think this is negative.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

It's empowering! Embrace those cakes!

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

Dat female empowerment.

PotatoOfDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PotatoOfDoom

@sog7dc said:

her ass is really awkwardly out there. like its just ass for the sake of ass.......and that lifting position.......yeah i think this is negative.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Avatar image for imthedamnbatman
ImTheDamnBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There aren't many ways you can draw superhero women without them looking provacative in some way. What if she had been fully clothed in this picture? Blame whoever made the costume, if anything.

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tie.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

exploitation

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Sorry to be so harsh but is that reviewer f**king retarded? Power Girl is a character built around a boob window. There are big chest gags in almost every appearance of her. When you hear or read the name "Power Girl" you don't think about her face. If we're posting images of her body being "put out there front and center" they should have just put a link to her image gallery in their review.

That reviewer should just stop reading comics with female characters in them if that's the way they feel.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry to be so harsh but is that reviewer f**king retarded? Power Girl is a character built around a boob window. There are big chest gags in almost every appearance of her. When you hear or read the name "Power Girl" you don't think about her face. If we're posting images of her body being "put out there front and center" they should have just put a link to her image gallery in their review.

That reviewer should just stop reading comics with female characters in them if that's the way they feel.

Speak for yourself!

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Couldn't possibly be more sexist than the tit window

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heh... That pose was unnecessary...

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Wolverine008

It was completely, utterly necessary!

Aeron_Glyndwr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Aeron_Glyndwr

Ugh, yeah, it's pretty blatantly an exploitative and unnatural pose.

ImTheDamnBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always wonder, do the artists feel like total creeps when drawing women like this?

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dragonborn_ct said:

I have no problem find her sexy, m8... I just think she looks sorta awkward here =|

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Though I can see why people might think it I believe it's neither. It just is.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

That is just really bad anatomy........

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Wolverine008

@wolverine08 said:

@dragonborn_ct said:

I have no problem find her sexy, m8... I just think she looks sorta awkward here =|

Being sexy ain't easy!

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that pose is impossible...but that booty and them titties...

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Female empowerment. She's the only one keeping the MEN alive. Total empowerment move. Plus, Powergirl has always been a euphemism (I think I'm using that word correctly, If I'm not sorry for looking like an ass, been a while since I used that word XD) for sex so stuff like that is supposed to happen.

@pokeysteve said:

Speak for yourself!

LMAO!

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Wolverine008

@arturocalakayvee: I mean, not allmen look at her boobs first! We might check out the butt, hips, etc. before we get to the melons!

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

No women pose like that. I can't pose like that!

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#25  Edited By SC  Moderator

Concepts can overlap. I can appreciate a good booty, and I think there is far too much stigma and shame related to real life body image, ideas and values with men and woman, but especially woman. That being said Power Girl is a fictional character. So an artist can go, hey Power Girl is a healthy fit woman and she looks good and people like booty so now and then the art will reflect this by showing scenes with her and her butt. Most humans have butts so you know, they are going to show up in comics as well.

Then again sometimes an artist can be like… "well lots of our comic readers are guys and guys like female booty and breast.. so let me see if I can forget about Power Girls spine and back muscles and… there I have included both assets and uh she is holding up a mountain" or something. When Hulk lifted up and held a mountain he didn't try to push out his butt, and yeah there are differences between men and woman, and when Superman did his lifting Earth feat he was in small shorts and he has a great muscular physique, but small differences like the angle looking down at him instead of his crotch or butt being prominent are important differences. So yeah this panel does seem quite bizarre and I am not sure we have as many male examples similar to this and there is nothing wrong with sex, booty, all that, the Power Girl series by Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner had cheesecake and was fun but in a way that didn't seem insincere or artificial or demeaning to the character or an audience that prefers good characterization, proper anatomy and organic poses. Basically I think this artist should have chose to have Kara face forward away from viewer or toward viewer. See where Steel is? We as readers hardly see the perspective and for some reason this applies far more frequently with female characters so much so there are even sites dedicated to the term Brokeback (broken back syndrome to allow maximum depiction of both the T and A in T&A)

I also think its cool she is holding a mountain and that its a pretty picture and I really like this artist, but I think the pose looks painful to the point of pandering and I can understand how this could really annoy people and turn them off a comic, and in a way it does exploit Power Girl even if it almost attempts to empower her, not because the character is depicted having a nice bottom or physique - see the Power Girl series by Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner, just that holding a mountain shouldn't be so effortless as to allow that sort of pose and since the character isn't real, its the artist manipulating her body in such a way to get that effect or any other effect they could want, including poses that don't try to get her butt and breasts in one shot whilst holding up a mountain. Books can lose readers when this stuff becomes too frequent.

ImTheDamnBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27  Edited By Pokeysteve

@pokeysteve said:

Speak for yourself!

Sorry. Sorry. I know you are quite the gentleman that treats the ladies with the utmost respect.

Reaction GIF: wink, Jensen Ackles, Dean Winchester, Supernatural

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

this is much better imo:

No Caption Provided

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: YAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY! Still lots of cleavage!

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#30  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

The art kinda sucks. Boring on Liefeld-ish, in my opinion.

Look at that spine, man O_o

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman said:

Nothing compares to Liefeld.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#32  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@jedixman said:

Nothing compares to Liefeld.

That spine says otherwise.

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JulieDC

It just seems unnecessary. I mean I've never made a big deal about her big chest or any of that stuff and its okay to let the men indulge a little bit. But posing her in a position to have both her butt and chest showing is just overkill...and considering how it has to hurt just to get one's body into that kind of pose, it seems like it would make it even harder to do the job...so there really isn't anything empowering about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3255e75dae4
deactivated-5e3255e75dae4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I hate to be "that guy", but comics themselves are pretty sexist when you think about it. The boys get to dress like circus acrobats, and hold strong, intimidating poses, and the ladies all dress like strippers, and they always are holding slutty poses.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3255e75dae4
deactivated-5e3255e75dae4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if they are going to do a Hawkeye Initiative for this. That would be hilarious.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Exploitation. Just like 90% of all female heroes and villians. Especially power girl.

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juliedc said:

It just seems unnecessary. I mean I've never made a big deal about her big chest or any of that stuff and its okay to let the men indulge a little bit. But posing her in a position to have both her butt and chest showing is just overkill...and considering how it has to hurt just to get one's body into that kind of pose, it seems like it would make it even harder to do the job...so there really isn't anything empowering about it.

Nah, because if you look at the struckture of the drawing you see that her legs form pillars and her body a roof with which the men are taking cover underneath. Without her as the pillarin the middle, the mauntain would crash down on the men. So there for that pose is very necessary.

She is definately beautiful and sexy in the picture but that doesn't detract from her. In my eyes it adds to her power.

I greatly admired all of Rafa Sandoval's (the artist) work in all the catwoman issues. He can do no wrong.

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By JulieDC

@lifeboy: But there were better ways it could have been drawn to still achieve the effect without putting both her butt and chest on display. Its not like Power Girl was the first person to hold something from falling on top of people so there are lots of pictures out there that show how it can be done right. I mean if sex is what they want to sell, by all means but lets not call it empowerment.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You tell me if this is empowerment or sexism:

No Caption Provided

but hey, at least she's independent now. right?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Yeah...it's a bit of an unnatural pose...but still, who's the one protecting the others from certain death?

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is a super rubbery spine an additional Kryptonian superpower? I sighed in exasperation when I orginally saw that page. However, her portrayal in Suicide Squad is leaps and bounds more respectful than her portrayal in Worlds Finest where is a sex-crazed idiot.

Power Girl is my favourite superhero (along with Superman). Her solo series written by Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Grey and drew by Amanda Connor showed that you can make a book with a sexy heroine (in a costume like Power Girl) without it being exploitative.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Honestly, it's a little bit of both, It's almost like the artist and writer said okay lets add a cleavage shot and an ass shot, but make her do something empowering so it does not look so bad.

I find nothing wrong with the picture because frankly there is more sexist imagery in any T.V show or music videos.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Empowerment. I mean, I don't think even Superman could hold up a mountain without a spine.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Couldn't say it better myself.

Avatar image for hillbillymorangie
HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why is he saying they are dead, that woman's spine is clearly broken, next scene she's on the floor screaming for an ambulance ;)

Edit: oh never mind I took enough look, they are all dead, power girl falls to the floor with a broken spine and the mountain falls on em all, he is basically sayin, that power girl is well rubbish, if she had better posture we would have survived ;)

Strongarm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superhuman spine and back muscles

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is female empowerment because it is empowering tHe fact tHat tHose cakes are great but it is exploiting tHe fact tHose cakes are great. It is a 3-way tie because it is good to be bad.

-ABstract4$$#073-

Avatar image for comicvinepoozer1
comicvinepoozer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By comicvinepoozer1

I'd rip out a tonsil after fighting a horde of zebras

kgb725

Forum Posts