• 77 results
inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Poison Ivy is back to being Doctor Pamela Isley and teaching the kids of Gotham Academy about plants. Nothing is that simple though and Isley has a run-in with an old friend: Harley Quinn.

Finally, we get a Poison Ivy story that develops the character and leads the reader down the most obvious road, which creative teams tend to miss out on. Pamela Isley is a doctor, a botanist. While many incarnations of this character have her either as a buddy to Harley Quinn or a Batman villain who uses her sexuality to get one over on the Caped Crusader, CIRCLE OF LIFE AND DEATH goes back to the characters roots, pun completely intended. Dr. Isley is an intelligent character who is passionate, to the point of obsession, with plant life. On top of that, because she's this bizarre hybrid of plant and animal life, there's this air of supremacy about her that I found very enjoyable. Writer Amy Chu has a better handle on this character than most people have had in years.

On the downside and more of a personal thing than anything else, I'm just not a fan of Harley Quinn. That being said, the story between these two characters works pretty well and we see them almost part ways because Isley seems to have changed or rather her focus has. I'm sure these two will cross paths again since this story, at its core, is really a murder mystery and Isley may need some help solving the case.

Artist Clay Mann, inker Seth Mann, and colorist Ulises Arreola take on art duties in this issue and they put out some phenomenal work. The art has a great sense of flow and for the most part, this team fills up the pages with details. However, there was one page in particular where the backgrounds were nonexistent, and while a panel or two with no backgrounds, here and there, really highlights the characters, this whole page felt like it was missing something, like the characters were floating around in the ether. Regardless, the rest of the book has some amazing art.

Poison Ivy isn't one of those characters I'm "gaga" over nor am I a fanboy in any way, but this opening offering of POISON IVY: CIRCLE OF LIFE AND DEATH was a tremendously wonderful start. Chu, Mann, Mann, and Arreola are redefining Ivy, which seems to be a bit more caught up in the wacky adventures of Harley Quinn, even though Ivy is a great character on her own. We get to see a lot of depth here as well as an intriguing story. I was truly surprised with how much I enjoyed this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

loved it

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 inferiorego  Staff

@sprior93 said:

loved it

REAL close to a 5/5 from me.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

I enjoyed this first issue. I think Harley came off a little overly sensitive but no I've got no problems with the issue other than that. The art is very nice.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

It wasn't terrible but I have never felt offended reading a comic until this. I'm sorry but what Ivy and Harley did to those mooks made me sick to the stomach. If they were actually presented as villains then it wouldn't have been as bad. That scene however presented them as champions of women rights,pathetic. If you want champions of female rights then write Black Canary or Wonder Woman or Kate Kane or Barbara or Zatanna or pretty much anyone but Harley Quinn and Ivy.

This was just pathetic.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5 the_stegman  Moderator
entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By entropy_aegis

@the_stegman said:

@entropy_aegis: what did they do??

Harley and Ivy go to a bar,find a man saying "c'mere kitty" to a girl. Harley promptly smacks him with her mallet,then Ivy punishes him by forcing him to kiss another man WHAT THE BJORKENSTEIN.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 inferiorego  Staff

It wasn't terrible but I have never felt offended reading a comic until this. I'm sorry but what Ivy and Harley did to those mooks made me sick to the stomach. If they were actually presented as villains then it wouldn't have been as bad. That scene however presented them as champions of women rights,pathetic. If you want champions of female rights then write Black Canary or Wonder Woman or Kate Kane or Barbara or Zatanna or pretty much anyone but Harley Quinn and Ivy.

This was just pathetic.

Or you're just looking WAY too into things

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: No, they were simply presented as characters. We see two dangerous, unhinged women assaulting some sleezy men. The story didn't justify or glorify their actions.

If you choose to see Harvey and Ivy as 'champions of women's rights', that's your prerogative.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inferiorego: Imagine this for a second. Deathstroke and Bane walk in to a bar,see a girl teasing another boy. Bane proceeds to punch her head, Deathstroke uses mind control gizmo to force the girl to kiss another girl. And then they walk away as heroes of the day.

Now what type of reaction would this have generated?

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I liked the issue. Cant wait to read more.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93 said:

@entropy_aegis: No, they were simply presented as characters. We see two dangerous, unhinged women assaulting some sleezy men. The story didn't justify or glorify their actions.

If you choose to see Harvey and Ivy as 'champions of women's rights', that's your prerogative.

Then why didn't these dangerous unhinged women get drop kicked by Batman?

renchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 151

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By donmeca2020

@entropy_aegis: I'm sorry but did you just tell us you feel offended by a comic book ????? Really ?? A comic book ???

Maybe they need to do (DC) what they did back in the 90s. Start putting those little square boxes on the covers that say "for mature readers"

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@renchamp said:

@entropy_aegis: Language warning.

Yeah I'm well aware of the rules buddy. My curses are always censored,this was intentional and the warning was expected.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis:

Batman has nothing to do with this story(not directly, at least).

You seem to be upset over an anti-villain doing *gasp* morally questionable stuff. Perhaps this book isn't to your taste? Stick to Batman if you're looking for an unflinching white knight.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By entropy_aegis

@entropy_aegis: I'm sorry but did you just tell us you feel offended by a comic book ????? Really ?? A comic book ???

Why not? if people can get worked over a harmless cover and Frank Miller then I can get worked over this.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More god damn Batman books....this overexposure of everything from his universe is annoying. Just make a Batman imprint, separate him from rest of DC or have Nolan make 5 more movies.

Lescol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I must admit, I do agree entropy_aegis here but for different reasons. I don't have a problem with the scene in the bar. Sure it is a bit cliché but otherwise fine. What really sent me over the edge was the depiction of her (male) co-workers. One is apparently a creep and completely incompetent since he can't be trusted to take care of a plant (despite being a botanist). The other being a vile sexist who apparently has more issues with her sex and keeping females out of plant science, than with the fact of her being a (former sort of) supervillian. It is really the combination of all of this that bothered me, in fact I will not buy the following issues.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93 said:

@entropy_aegis:

Batman has nothing to do with this story(not directly, at least).

You seem to be upset over an anti-villain doing *gasp* morally questionable stuff. Perhaps this book isn't to your taste? Stick to Batman if you're looking for an unflinching white knight.

Batman,a cop, ANYONE. A simple sequence where the anti-villains were actually on the run from the law could have worked. They just did whatever as they pleased and went home.

Redrevanite23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@inferiorego: Hey, do y'all still do the points thing? Also can anyone do a review on the comics or just you guys? Btw I loved this issue and Mann killed the art. I think after this series is up, we could see him on a Detective Comics or a Red Hood/Arsenal.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lescol said:

I must admit, I do agree entropy_aegis here but for different reasons. I don't have a problem with the scene in the bar. Sure it is a bit cliché but otherwise fine. What really sent me over the edge was the depiction of her (male) co-workers. One is apparently a creep and completely incompetent since he can't be trusted to take care of a plant (despite being a botanist). The other being a vile sexist who apparently has more issues with her sex and keeping females out of plant science, than with the fact of her being a (former sort of) supervillian. It is really the combination of all of this that bothered me, in fact I will not buy the following issues.

I went with the bar because it was the most blatant really and inexcusable imo.

Redrevanite23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lescol: You guys are ridiculous crybabies. I can't believe you guys are complaining over how the guys were portrayed. Not once while I read this was I thinking "wow, they really make all of the men in the world scumbags and sexist". You should have been focusing on the important stuff such as Ivy not wanting to be like Harley anymore and be reckless. It's cool to see Ivy love her job and have a friend that respects her.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 inferiorego  Staff

@inferiorego: Imagine this for a second. Deathstroke and Bane walk in to a bar,see a girl teasing another boy. Bane proceeds to punch her head, Deathstroke uses mind control gizmo to force the girl to kiss another girl. And then they walk away as heroes of the day.

Me still not caring

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By lxlGiftedlxl

@nerevarine_11 said:

More god damn Batman books....this overexposure of everything from his universe is annoying. Just make a Batman imprint, separate him from rest of DC or have Nolan make 5 more movies.

Poison Ivy is her own character and deserves a chance to shine just like any other comic character (even those in the Bat-verse).

And Batman and his supporting cast don't need to be separated from DC.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 inferiorego  Staff

@inferiorego: Hey, do y'all still do the points thing? Also can anyone do a review on the comics or just you guys? Btw I loved this issue and Mann killed the art. I think after this series is up, we could see him on a Detective Comics or a Red Hood/Arsenal.

Anyone can review an issue, by going to that issue's page and clicking "write a review"

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was thinking about getting this when the trade comes out (love me some Mann art).

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By BR_Havoc

@donmeca2020: How is that far fetched for you? Look at how many people get offended by superheroes costumes or body types. At least this compliant was story driven, even if I don't agree with it. To me the scene kind of made sense since if anything Ivy was use pheromones instead of violence to stop the brawl.

I liked the issue as a whole, Mann's art is the real selling feature because the story is pretty light so far with very little depth but hopefully that changes as the mini series progresses.

renchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 151

#28  Edited By renchamp

@entropy_aegis: Knowing the rules and blatantly breaking them gets you a one-day flag ban. Think harder next time about what you post.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rekt

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't read the issue, only skimmed it, but Harley didn't seem too bad and boy is Manns art great.

deathfalcon182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lescol: so sexism in a book about fictional character bothers you? LMFAO. What's there to be offended about?

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By Jestersmiles
Lescol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathfalcon182: It is fairly simple. I read it and I didn't like it. That's all.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

I forgot that I pre-ordered this so it was a surprise pickup for me. I didn't quite like it as much as Mat but I don't regret the buy. I'd put it at a solid 3 stars. I loved the interactions with Harley and the art was incredible but everything else was a little boring. I will probably pick up issue 2 and see if it I like it more. Poison Ivy is an awesome character so I am glad to see her get a mini series.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Epyon007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved it! I thought Amy did a great job portraying Ivy.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#37 pikahyper  Moderator

@entropy_aegis said:

Me still not caring

lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also forgot to mention how cute that biker kiss was.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

@entropy_aegis said:

This was just pathetic.

You know about as much about Harley & Ivy as Donald Trump knows about Islam...Or women.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lxlgiftedlxl: Ivy is a batman character, and like Catwoman does not logically need an ongoing. A miniseries maybe, but you can't look me in the eye and say this is Batman related overexposure.

deathfalcon182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerevarine_11: it is a mini series and no it's not a Baman related overexposure. They're not shoving it down our throats, fans wanted it, they got it.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for xescapetheliesx
XescapetheliesX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: Remember, you're reading a comic book... A comic book about someone who controls plants and another that carries a giant mallet so maybe you are looking a little too deep here...

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020 said:

Why not? if people can get worked over a harmless cover and Frank Miller then I can get worked over this.

I just read it myself now, and i didn't see any reason to get all worked up..... i didn't feel offended or bothered about it but that's me.

Anyways on to the actual story. seemed entertaining, i liked it, but i do agree with what someone else said on here, seems like their trying to make her into a semi hero, even though she's still not one. at least in my mind she isn't. i'll continue with this mini series, so far so good.

Redrevanite23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Immolation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I liked the issue. Cant wait to read more.

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By lxlGiftedlxl

@nerevarine_11 said:

@lxlgiftedlxl: Ivy is a batman character, and like Catwoman does not logically need an ongoing. A miniseries maybe, but you can't look me in the eye and say this is Batman related overexposure.

So what if Ivy is a Batman character she is still her own character that DC is giving a chance to become something better than a background character (same as DC did for Catwoman and Harley). Also some fans have been wanting a poison ivy series for the longest. I know I have since Ivy is a great character (one of my fav villains/heroes) and I'm glade that the GCS all have a book now (since Im a fan of Selina, Harley and Pamela). Nothing wrong with giving a character a chance no matter where they come from.

I never said or implied that the Bat-verse isn't overexposed (they make money so over exposure is going to happen). But that doesn't mean that DC should kick Batman or his bat-verse related characters to a separate continuity, nor does it mean that a character that is Bat-related can't have a chance to become something more than just a supporting character/villain/sidekick/underused character.

RafaelSioux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Excellent review!

No Caption Provided

My favorite part is when Ivy is by her own. Great monologue by Chu and the art is amazing!

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@renchamp: I thought about it,that's the sad part. Either way good of you to ban me and let it out of your system.

@entropy_aegis said:

This was just pathetic.

You know about as much about Harley & Ivy as Donald Trump knows about Islam...Or women.

Cute but I know more about Harley's contemporary status than this writer. I also know Ivy well enough to believe she shouldn't be shipped with Spider-Man.

Says the guy who'e been getting rekt in the battle forums since he came.

Good for those who enjoy it,I already said it wasn't bad just something I'm not gonna be bothering with.I'm over this.