Please, Stop Saying New Cartoons "Ruin Your Childhood" (new editorial)

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

ignVela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Everyone that watched Teen Titans and comments under anything Teen Titans Go should listen to this

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 k4tzm4n  Moderator

If you do read the article, leaving a comment at my blog is greatly appreciated - even if you respectfully disagree with me :)

@ignvela said:

Everyone that watched Teen Titans and comments under anything Teen Titans Go should listen to this

"Ruined my childhood" is the new "get off my lawn."

Avatar image for deactivated-5b466be4b5981
deactivated-5b466be4b5981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yo, Ralph is gonna use Tonfas?

I love tonfas!

Anyhow, great blog my guy :)

MainJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MainJP

The hate for the new TMNT series is undeserved.

Mates, there are many different incarnations of the turtles, REAL turtle fans know this and are used to it.

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ignvela said:

Teen Titans Go! is a really well made cartoon. I'm very surprised at the negativity it gets.

Avatar image for fullmetalemprah
FullMetalEmprah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FullMetalEmprah

As someone who mostly prefers older cartoons, there ARE good new cartoons, just as there are really bad ones. It's always been that way, there were shows so bad I'd actively switch the channel rather than sit through for thirty minutes as a kid back in the late 90's and early 2000's. As a whole I believe they were a lot better back then but that's just my personal opinion, by no means is every new cartoon terrible.

ignVela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ignVela

@ignvela said:

Teen Titans Go! is a really well made cartoon. I'm very surprised at the negativity it gets.

I have the same thought. I hope what i say next is not taken as a sign of hate toward Teen Titan or of similar toned shows.

Shows/Movies are all about emotion, and i believe there value is equivalent to the emotion they bring us when we watch them. Different emotions hold different value. When it comes to Shows/Movies/Plays theres two big emotions that is formed, one when tragedy occurs and the other when something comedic occurs. My teacher told me that the Greeks believed that great arts (in terms of plays) comes in either comedic form or dramatic/tragic form which is why the symbol for plays is the mask of happy and sad. They are the two biggest emotion and of the two tragedy is much bigger and has much bigger impact.

Now Teen Titans is one of those shows that has sad/tragic/dramatic (has good deal of comedy too) and thus it impacts the viewers lives much more which in turn makes its fan very nostalgic towards it. I think any shows that can leave an impression on you like that is amazing show, another example of that (and my favorite) is Avatar the Last Airbender. Teen Titans GO on the other hand is purposefully, purely meant to be comedic so it is seen as inferior and if it is anything less than something people loved previously then in the minds of the fans it is worthy of hate. Some might hate the comedy but i think they fail to understand that it is not made for them. It is purely children comedy, quick episode of fun and its done. I am older teen and I like Teen Titans Go, i don't think i will ever be able to love it as much as i do Teen Titan but as a stand alone show, it is superb. Teen Titans Go doesn't need to be emotional show that deals with hardship and real issues people face, its not aiming for that, even if it includes politic jokes and such it is purely meant to be fun for the kids.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

There have always been bad cartoons in people's childhoods. I think partly because of the internet we are just more aware of the more modern bad cartoons, while the bad cartoons that used to be on for us just faded away from memory because we just tended to ignore them in favor of the actual good ones (thus why some people think that there were only good cartoons when they were kids). Plus, being older we are more aware of some of the more manipulative and studio-mandated aspects of shows, with nostalgia allowing us to ignore that for the good shows we grew up with.

Honestly, I can see how someone might find a new cartoon based on an older franchise to be insulting to that franchise they loved when they were a kid, but I don't see how it could ruin that part of their childhood for them. Yeah, I don't like Teen Titans Go because I think it's stupid and way overplayed by Cartoon Network, but because of that I mostly just tend to ignore it. Teen Titans will always still be a show that I loved as a kid (with parts that even still hold up today).

AirDave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 162

User Lists: 15

There've only been a couple of cartoons that just didn't appeal to me. Batman Beyond and Beware the Batman. That doesn't mean they weren't good 'toons. I grew up on the '60's Spider-Man and Marvel Super-Heroes 'toons; the '70's Batman, Star Trek and Gilligan's Island 'toons.

Avatar image for handofprometheus
HandOfPrometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can only tolerate one episode of TTG and when I laugh its mainly because of the stupid crap they do and never the jokes, but I wouldn't say it ruined my childhood. As for the new TMNT that 2012 version was so boring to me especially the first two seasons.

KCJ5062

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell plenty of people that grew up watching cartoons in the 90s have the "What we had was SO much better! Today's stuff suck!" mentality. Especially when it comes to superhero cartoons. It's just so beyond pretentious. Sometimes it makes me feel ashamed to be apart of that generation. Yeah shows like Batman TAS, X-men TAS, and Justice League/Unlimited were amazing. But there were also shows that came in the late 00s to early 10s that were just as thought provoking. Spectacular Spider-man, Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Young Justice just to name a few. All of those had rich plots and interesting characters. So no, not everything today is crap.

It's rather limiting to put a show up on a pedestal and expect all other shows in the same genre to imitate it rather than do their own thing. It frustrates me so much when some people praise one version to the point of blindly criticizing all the other creative versions (especially when those other works have their own strengths). I mean I was starting preschool when the original TMNT cartoon debuted. But I actually like the 2003 version more.

Avatar image for thespartanb345t
TheSpartanB345T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@KCJ5062: "Spectacular Spider-man, Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Young Justice just to name a few. All of those had rich plots and interesting characters. So no, not everything today is crap."

Those were my shows. Damn good.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I’m sorry but I have to disagree here. The shows in question re this article are made by people who have no respect for the source material, they’re antagonistic towards the fans who dislike their show and the animation styles are ugly to be frank. A lot of the shows made today prioritise cheaper animation over quality and simple stories over meaningful ones. It’s worse to say to fans that they can’t say that this show ruins their childhood because it’s stifling discussion. As long as they aren’t threatening violence or death, fans should be allowed to complain about stuff they don’t like. Especially shows like Teen Titans Go, Thundercats Roar and the New TMNT show because they all look or are bad.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dragonborn_CT

>Its another "its not made for you, its made for a new generation" episode.

I am sorry but kids deserve better than this crap. Its not my childhood being ruined. Its THEIRS. I can't wait for another Renaissance to happen where present re-discover about the past civilizations.

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@KCJ5062:

“Spectacular Spider-man, Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Young Justice just to name a few. All of those had rich plots and interesting characters. So no, not everything today is crap.”

I’m not sure if mentioning those helps you when two of those shows got cancelled and replaced by vastly inferior shows that also lasted longer. While the other one is only recently returning after having been cancelled for years.

For cartoons overall, I can agree with you, but in particular superhero cartoons? I’d say that the argument of things being crap now for animated series compared to 90s-00s has some merit

jashugan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think anyone is serious when they say a new cartoon ruins their childhood

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@lvenger said:

I’m sorry but I have to disagree here. The shows in question re this article are made by people who have no respect for the source material, they’re antagonistic towards the fans who dislike their show and the animation styles are ugly to be frank. A lot of the shows made today prioritise cheaper animation over quality and simple stories over meaningful ones. It’s worse to say to fans that they can’t say that this show ruins their childhood because it’s stifling discussion. As long as they aren’t threatening violence or death, fans should be allowed to complain about stuff they don’t like. Especially shows like Teen Titans Go, Thundercats Roar and the New TMNT show because they all look or are bad.

A few things:

1. Literally only one modern show is in question in the article: Rise of the TMNT.
  2. "No respect for the source material." What do you base this on other than you not liking the direction they're taking? And the original voice of Raphael/new Donatello is involved in this, as is Kevin Eastman. Just because we aren't a fan of something doesn't mean the person doesn't love the franchise.
  3. I'm not saying don't complain about stuff you don't like. I'm saying claiming it "ruins your childhood" is silly. I'm also saying to remember that a majority of these shows aren't for us anymore. They're for kids. And if they have the ability to make kids fall in love with a franchise, than that's infinitely more important than giving us yet another version we can love - we already have those.
  4. You disagree with this? "The only thing that should truly matter is whether the people behind these new shows are legitimately passionate about them and not creating them just to make a quick buck." :P
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@dragonborn_ct said:

I am sorry but kids deserve better than this crap. Its not my childhood being ruined. Its THEIRS. I can't wait for another Renaissance to happen where present re-discover about the past civilizations.

I don't mean to be rude, but to me, this statement is absurd. Who are you to say their childhood is being ruined if a show - a show you don't like - makes them love the franchise and eventually inspires them to check out other incarnations of the property and turns them into lifelong fans?

When I was a kid, I can only imagine what fans of the TMNT Mirage comic were saying about the first TMNT animated series. Probably something along the same lines. Yet it turned me into a fan, and motivated me to read the comics and seek out every incarnation. The original one I grew up with does NOT hold up and it is NOT good, but it brought me in at a young age and that's what's important in this case.

Avatar image for deactivated-5faef67d08995
deactivated-5faef67d08995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

This saying can get super popular as long as every one stops saying savage all the time.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:
@dragonborn_ct said:

I don't mean to be rude, but to me, this statement is absurd. Who are you to say their childhood is being ruined if a show - a show you don't like - makes them love the franchise and eventually inspires them to check out other incarnations of the property and turns them into lifelong fans?

When I was a kid, I can only imagine what fans of the TMNT Mirage comic were saying about the first TMNT animated series. Probably something along the same lines. Yet it turned me into a fan, and motivated me to read the comics and seek out every incarnation. The original one I grew up with does NOT hold up and it is NOT good, but it brought me in at a young age and that's what's important in this case.

You know what? You changed my mind... This is perfect for the generation of kids eating tide pods because they are bored and that will live to see the downfall of Western civilization. We might as well reboot everything to look the same way because timeless things do not exist. We should bring back Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Ed, Edd and Eddy and Space Ghost back.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Why stop at reboots? We should remake Japanese shows and tell them how its done. That will teach them to be less xenophobic.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Matt Groening should call it quits already and do a whole new Simpsons like this too.

No Caption Provided

This is exactly what the new generation needs and DESERVES.

KCJ5062

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@KCJ5062:

“Spectacular Spider-man, Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Young Justice just to name a few. All of those had rich plots and interesting characters. So no, not everything today is crap.”

I’m not sure if mentioning those helps you when two of those shows got cancelled and replaced by vastly inferior shows that also lasted longer. While the other one is only recently returning after having been cancelled for years.

For cartoons overall, I can agree with you, but in particular superhero cartoons? I’d say that the argument of things being crap now for animated series compared to 90s-00s has some merit

@mike_fowler

Well I used those as examples because like I said, a lot of people that grew up in the 90s never bothered to give pretty much any post 2000 cartoon a chance because it wasn't a cartoon from when they were a child. Especially Spectacular Spider-man. The majority of the flak it receives comes from people that have never actually watched it and base their arguments on the show's art style. It's usually hardcore and militant fans of Spider-man TAS. And if somebody actually happens to have a criticism that's not about the art style, they often just try to compare everything to TAS and not judge the show by it's own merits.

I remember about a month ago I was reading the user reviews on Spectacular's page over at IMDB, there's over 30 of them and only 3 of them are negative. And not one of them talk about the stories, writing and such. They just rant and rave about how art style and how "childish" it is. I'm really beginning to dislike how people use that word so loosely.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

True. I realized this after my initial reaction to Teen Titans Go back when it first came out. I guess it was just childish and reactionary. I mean I don't even watch cartoons anymore. Last one I watched was Regular Show (RIP). Shows end and shows are revived/rebooted with a new team and a new direction. I don't like TTG, but hey my little cousins do. So what do I know.

I know there was a TMNT cartoon in the late eighties, the first, if I'm not mistaken. I don't remember that one and I don't think I watched it. However, I did watch the 2003 reboot on 4kidstv. I loved it and grew up watching that show. Same situation I guess.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_(2003_TV_series)

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 k4tzm4n  Moderator
mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree. Cartoons aren't made for us, they're made for children. Am I saying you can't enjoy that? No, I myself was a pretty big Gravity Falls fan back when it aired. I'm just saying that we shouldn't expect them to be made for us.

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

If cartoons ruined your childhood, then you never had one from the start.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

Cartoons are made by different people for different audiences, it's just up for the audience to grow up and admit a show like a new TMNT or TTG is not aimed at the people who were kids in the 90'ties or 00's.

As for 'respect for the source material', people who use that excuse: get over yourself, the version you love of a cartoon is likely vastly different from the source material, so much so that original fans were horrified when your version came out.

conner_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By conner_wolf

@k4tzm4n: Now see, an interesting article, counter-proposal: Make shows that actually have genuine character development and real actual moments between characters instead of watching the characters I grew up with act like bumbling idiots.

Imagine for a moment if your hero, your absolute hero, was made to smear literal shit on his face and roll around, spasming violently while screaming 'I'm a little teapot', if your response is 'I wouldn't care at all' then he wasn't your hero... I didn't grow up with Thundercats, but I grew up with Teen Titans, and those characters were a big part of my childhood and what I went through, a lot of characters fulfill that role for me, so yes, when I watch those same characters being given the shit sandwich treatment I'm going to take issue with it.

This is just an extension of every article that tells anybody who's a fan of anything to 'get over it' when they feel anything. "Get over it" is not an actual argument.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@k4tzm4n said:

A few things:

1. Literally only one modern show is in question in the article: Rise of the TMNT.
  2. "No respect for the source material." What do you base this on other than you not liking the direction they're taking? And the original voice of Raphael/new Donatello is involved in this, as is Kevin Eastman. Just because we aren't a fan of something doesn't mean the person doesn't love the franchise.
  3. I'm not saying don't complain about stuff you don't like. I'm saying claiming it "ruins your childhood" is silly. I'm also saying to remember that a majority of these shows aren't for us anymore. They're for kids. And if they have the ability to make kids fall in love with a franchise, than that's infinitely more important than giving us yet another version we can love - we already have those.
  4. You disagree with this? "The only thing that should truly matter is whether the people behind these new shows are legitimately passionate about them and not creating them just to make a quick buck." :P
  1. Ah never mind about the others then, I'll just concentrate on Rise of the TMNT.
  2. Well that makes it even worse to be honest. Compare IDW's TMNT comic where that manages to be a fresh, unique but respectful iteration of the TMNT compared with this messy mash up of a show. I honestly think Eastman's contributions are not really all there based on the style and tone of the series.
  3. Well if that's how fans feel about something they should be allowed to feel that way. Perhaps the show matters a great deal And like someone else has said above, it's ruining that kid's childhood as well because where they could be a getting a show like the 2003 or 2012 cartoon, they have this to introduce them instead. The 80s cartoon may be dated and cheesy but it has an undeniable charm to it which kept fans interested. This one doesn't from the looks of it.
  4. No but I don't think that philosophy has been applied to this cartoon.
Avatar image for universeichigo1
universeichigo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tom and jerry

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Loading Video...

I think people are mostly joking when they use the phrase "Ruined my childhood"...but even then the phrase needs to die in terms of being overused. Getting molested, having witnessed something horrible, having a close family memeber die young; those are things that ruin your childhood....not popular media being rebooted.

Galactic_1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate you Cartoon Network!!You ruined my Childhood!??

ignVela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know what? You changed my mind... This is perfect for the generation of kids eating tide pods because they are bored and that will live to see the downfall of Western civilization. We might as well reboot everything to look the same way because timeless things do not exist. We should bring back Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Ed, Edd and Eddy and Space Ghost back.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Why stop at reboots? We should remake Japanese shows and tell them how its done. That will teach them to be less xenophobic.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Matt Groening should call it quits already and do a whole new Simpsons like this too.

No Caption Provided

This is exactly what the new generation needs and DESERVES.

You win a medal!

No Caption Provided

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

"Ruin my childhood" Is mostly just a meme/joke.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MAZAHS117

Lol. That Time Travel is a bitch tho

OrphanCrippler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

to early to hate on the new tmnt show, but what's up with ralph and tonfas. Kids will play injustice 2 and be very confused

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ignvela: No worries, it won't top anyone that defends this garbage trend :^)

ignVela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ignvela: No worries, it won't top anyone that defends this garbage trend :^)

Yea because people are clearly defended the ones you listed

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This extends to movies as well: "The Last Jedi ruined my childhood."

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40  Edited By Stahlflamme

Of course not that's silly, that doesn't mean they are not farbage thought.

RL4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

k