Table of contents

1. Introduction
  2. Properties of forms
  3. Algorithm
  4. Examples
  5. Summary
  6. Sources

Introduction

If you've seen a couple of threads involving (mostly featless) multiversal characters you have probably run into the term 'Platonic' which is used to confer unimaginable power to those characters simply because of the fact they are somehow related to a Platonic concept. So the term is basically treated as a free pass to winning the argument on which multiversal character beats the other one.

Having said that, this thread is meant to explain how Plato's Forms actually work, clear off misunderstandings regarding Plato's ideas and hopefully ward off people from using the above mentioned argument in the future.

Properties of forms

Let's start this by first defining what a form is - Plato's Theory of Forms says that the physical world is only a shadow of the true reality of the World of Forms which is purely abstract and non-physical in every way. He claims that Forms are more "real" than any physical object and as such present some sort of a 'scheme' for them.

The most important properties of Forms is that they are:

1. Non-spatiotemporal
  2. Causally inert
  3. Perfect
  4. Absolute

Okay, so let's clarify more on what I mean by these three properties since not many battleboarders get the full picture on what does it mean to posses such qualities.

Non-spatiotemporality

First, non-spatiotemporality - since Plato's Forms are entirely aspatiotemporal, it follows that they are also entirely non-physical (they do not exist in the physical world and are not composed out of physical objects) and non-mental (they are not minds or ideas in minds nor are they disembodied souls, or Gods, or anything else along these lines).

This also means that notions such as birth, creation, death, destruction are not applicable to these entities as these terms imply there existed a specific moment in time that can be attributed to them when such an event occurred. Also, you obviously can't assign them any physical location of existence, like saying "they exist on this planet" or saying "they are inside this realm", etc... nor can you talk about their other spatial properties, like their size for example.

Causal inertness

Secondly, causal inertness of Platonic Forms, meaning that they are not responsible in any way for objects having the natures they have, and they do not play any important role in our explanations of why objects have the natures they have.

The more important implication of this property for battleboarding is them being unchanging, that is, they cannot be involved in cause-and-effect relationships with other physical entities. In other words, if your character ever interacted with a clearly physical one then he doesn't satisfy this property. Same goes for being affected as well (or affecting someone / something). In practice, this means that a Platonic character can't

• kill someone
  • destroy something
  • move in physical space (attack, talk, blink, breathe, etc...)
  • and in general - perform any action that would be required of him to win the battle

Perfection

Next, Platonic concepts have to be perfect (or in Plato's terms, good, which is why the Form of Good is the highest platonic concept). This means that concepts such as evil, weakness, darkness, etc... are not Platonic concepts but actually failures of attaining their respective 'perfect' counterparts.

Absoluteness

Even though this might not necessarily be a property and moreso the restriction (or lack thereof) on other properties, I feel like it is the most important to bring up as most battleboarders call Plato's concepts 'relative' or just misunderstand what it means to be absolute.

The difference between relative and absolute should be obvious so I won't be going over it, but I will bring up one important point I've seen people use to counter the absoluteness of Plato's Forms, that is the problem with the fact all forms 'emanate' from the Form of Good. Why is this a problem ? Well, it's because the Forms should be absolutely causally inert and unchanging, but them emanating from something implies they have been changed at some point and have a causal connection with it, right ? Well, not quite:

1. Remember that the Forms have the property of non-spatiotemporality ? This means that the Form of Good didn't exist before other Forms, because you can't apply the notion of time to it in the first place.
  2. Second, changing the Form of Good won't produce any changes in the other Forms. Why? Because the Form of Good is immutable in the first place.
  3. Thirdly, Plato doesn't really use the term emanated, especially since both of those have very specific meanings in philosophy that don't refer to what Plato says. The correct term would be partaking***which doesn't imply any change, but rather, the relationship

***More detailed explanation:

The philosophical notion of participation was used by plato to explain the relation between the contingent, individual forms and the eternal, unchangeable Ideas. aristotle attributes the origin of this doctrine to the Pythagoreans, who taught that all things exist by imitation (μίμησις) of numbers; for him, Plato simply introduced the new term participation (μέθεξις) and said that all things exist by participation, changing only the name.

Some other properties worth to mention

For battleboarding purposes, one very important such property is that Plato was a hardcore finitist (and so the cosmology of his works and the scope of his concepts in that cosmology were also finite). Ironically enough, Plato was actually referring to the world of change (a.k.a. the physical world) as infinite, but since the world we experience (physical world) isn't the "actual reality" in his works, this infinite was merely referring to the potential infinite.

Also worth to mention, is that Plato himself pointed out that he isn’t capable of stating where the limits of the form and the non-forms are being placed which makes any statement regarding whether something is Platonic or not highly questionable and inherently ambiguous. After all, how can you state whether someone (or something) embodies a Platonic Form if the person who created the idea doesn't know what separates such a being from ones that don't embody them... (this last paragraph actually makes every debate talking whether some character is Platonic or not extremely unproductive since the notion itself is ill-defined)

Algorithm

After listing out and explaining in detail every property an actual Platonic Form should satisfy, I thought about making a (relatively) simple algorithm for determining if the character is actually Platonic:

1. Does your character represent some sort of concept not associated with perfection (like evil, darkness, death, weakness, famine, etc...) ? If yes, jump to 8.
  2. Was your character ever affected by any physical entity and did he ever affect such entities himself ? If yes, jump to 8.
  3. Was your character ever created or destroyed ? If yes jump to 8.
  4. Did your character ever change his state of existence in any way ? If yes, jump to 8.
  5. Can your character be described using spatial or temporal notions (like size, age, location, etc...) ? If yes, jump to 8.
  6. Does your character have any of his properties* (like mass, volume, energy output, etc..) in infinite quantities ? If yes, jump to 8.
  7. Congratulations, your character does embody a Platonic Form
  8. Unfortunately, your character does not embody a Platonic Form

*Note: Step 6. is actually redundant, since if the character actually posses any physical attribute in any quantity he clearly isn't abstract and as such isn't Platonic.

Examples

Well, since I've already written an algorithm on how to easily determine if a character is Platonic, let's take a look at some examples, that is, characters I've seen being referred to as Platonic and see if they can get past the algorithm I created above:

1. Darkseid, the "platonic concept of evil" - nope, fails at Step 1.
  2. Sphere of Gods entities (from DC) - nope, fails at step 2.
  3. Lucifer (from DC) - nope, fails at step 2.
  4. Monitors (from DC) - nope, fails at step 2.
  5. Rimuru - nope, fails at step 2.
  6. Any Umineko character - nope, fail at step 2.
  7. Any Nasuverse character - nope, fail at step 2. (or 3.)
  8. Any Er Gen character (Meng Hao, Bai Xiaochun, etc..) - nope, fails at step 2. (or 3.)
  9. Any World of Darkness character - nope, fail at step 4.
  10. Goddess of the Manifold - nope, fail at step 6. (though likely step 2.)
  11. Monad (from Xelee) - nope, fail at step 6. (though likely step 2.)
  12. Cthulu Mythos Archetypes - nope, fail at step 6. (though likely at step 3.)

All in all, it's safe to say that you will extremely likely never encounter a character that actually represents a Platonic Form, purely because of the fact it's extremely hard to implement all the necessary properties such a character should satisfy.

Summary

Well, after all of this, it's safe to say you have two choices when debating someone that wants to argue that a clearly non-Platonic character embodies a Platonic Form:

1. Expose their lack of knowledge on Plato's works by pointing out inconsistencies in his arguments that don't match with what Plato actually said
  2. Let them state with certainty that their character embodies a Platonic Form, in which case, you win the debate by default as his character would lose by not being able to perform any action in the battle which is required (and as a bonus you can also use the fact his character must also be finite)

Sources

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/platonism/

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/abstract-objects/

http://abyss.uoregon.edu/~js/cosmo/lectures/lec18.html

https://www.encyclopedia.com/religion/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/participation

https://www.britannica.com/topic/form-philosophy

not_exactly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By takenstew22  Moderator

Interesting. So the term "Platonic" isn't actually as powerful as some people say it is and in reality is not supposed to be combat applicable.

SagaTheLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very good thread. In the old times of DC debates I used to use platonics quite a lot. Even invented something called "meta platonics" that only Monitors really possessed lol. Many debaters in the old days treated their characters as being "platonic" and so the misinformation begun to spread. Hope your work helps people begin to understand what it truly means and stop using it as an argument in the context of battleboarding.

lmaolmaolmao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A much needed thread. Good work

SirDragonFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SirDragonFly

Darkseid is Platonic and lives in a Platonic world. Scans > your feeling expressed as empty babble

lmaolmaolmao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By lmaolmaolmao
@sirdragonfly said:

Darkseid is Platonic and lives in a Platonic world. Scans > your feeling expressed as empty babble

And Super Buu is omnipotent

A_Random_User

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome thread!!

suck on that platonic wankers!

Antebellum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Darkseid is a concept that conceptualize context, therefore any movement he does is Megaversal.

not_exactly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By not_exactly

@takenstew22

So the term "Platonic" isn't actually as powerful as some people say it is

Yeah. It's arguably the worst possible downgrade a character can get for any battle related purpose.

and in reality is not supposed to be combat applicable.

Most definitely, yes.

@sagathelegend

Many debaters in the old days treated their characters as being "platonic" and so the misinformation begun to spread.

Yeah, beside VS wiki (which by now seems to be the source of every misinformation on battleboards), I think that most of the misinformation regarding Plato's concept on Comicvine begun to spread from these threads [1], [2].

Hope your work helps people begin to understand what it truly means and stop using it as an argument in the context of battleboarding.

Yeah, me too. If nothing else, it's a good source of compilations to quickly debunk any argument that uses Platonic concepts to confer power to characters.

@lmaolmaolmao@a_random_user Thanks!

hmesko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hmesko

@not_exactly: Very well done. Platonism is an interest of mine. The idea that platonism can confer power in a battle setting simply doesn't make sense to me. I myself have seen a lot of misunderstanding of platonism. I'm very glad you put this thread together. Because I myself didn't know where to begin. Luckily though the "non linear tiering" never really caught on to my knowledge. Thank you for this.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@not_exactly: Eh. I think there’s a difference between being an avatar of or an entity that “embodies“ a platonic concept, and actually being said platonic concept in a literal sense.

Otherwise you can make all the same arguments to disqualify all abstract entities from being abstract entities.

Senior_Nepuko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@not_exactly : This is a great thread. Good job for spreading this. I obviously agree.

not_exactly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hmesko

Very well done.

Thank you.

The idea that platonism can confer power in a battle setting simply doesn't make sense to me.

It also wouldn't have made sense to Plato... nor to anyone else that actually read a bit of his works regarding his ideas on metaphysics and the "true nature" of reality.

Luckily though the "non linear tiering" never really caught on to my knowledge.

Well, I did see several threads that used this type of tiering to immediately decide who is the winner without even looking at the characters abilities and context for such extraordinary claims, though I haven't seen it used anywhere outside of Comicvine.

@zetsu-san

being an avatar of

I don't know how this would work. An entity that represents an 'avatar' of a Platonic Form would imply the Form itself would exhibit some causal properties which is not allowed.

or an entity that “embodies“ a platonic concept, and actually being said platonic concept in a literal sense.

By “embodying a platonic concept" do you mean some entity that behaves like a Platonic Form while also exhibiting properties of consciousness? If yes, that's also not allowed for the same reasons as above.

If that wasn't what you meant, could you please elaborate more on this part?

Otherwise you can make all the same arguments to disqualify all abstract entities from being abstract entities.

Depending on your definition of "abstract", yeah, pretty much. If by abstract you necessitate that an entity also be non-spatiotemporal and causally inert (which are the most commonly known properties of abstract entities in every branch of metaphysics), the same arguments could be applied (with some minor tweaks).

@senior_nepuko Thanks!

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@not_exactly: Being avatar of or embodying a platonic concept, means that connected to the concept in a fundamental way, where you more or less exist as long as it does, and have power over everything involving said concept.

El_mago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By El_mago

well explained hopefully some of the previous arguments relating to this type of threads in the site especially versus would change

Divyansh13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let's go

iknowwhoyouare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah no this ain't a disrespect thread

These are REAL disrespect threads

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/gen-discussion-1/jobberseid-disrespect-thread-2167441/

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/gen-discussion-1/jobbernos-disrespect-thread-2241208/#js-message-21

not_exactly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsu-san

@not_exactly: Being avatar of or embodying a platonic concept, means that connected to the concept in a fundamental way, where you more or less exist as long as it does, and have power over everything involving said concept.

The bolded part is still a problem since, as I said in the previous post, it implies causal relation between a concept (or in our case, Form) and that specific entity which is supposed to be connected to it, violating the 2nd property I listed (causal inertness).

@el_mago@divyansh13 Thanks!

@iknowwhoyouare Well, I'd argue downgrading every character reliant on this argument from second only to omnipotent to second to everyone is a pretty good disrespect thread. Though, yeah, technically I'm not really "disrespecting" anything, just giving clarification and providing explanations on an idea in metaphysics that people have been abusing and/or have been misinformed on for a long time.

Nonetheless, you made some nice threads yourself, always good to see the other side of the spectrum for high tier characters.

chasekilleen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But absolute platonic concepts from omnipotent sauce

McFlicky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is why people should stop using anu and padomay in battles

Avatar image for applekidthethird
Applekidthethird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS THREAD!!

I've actually been thinking about making a thread similar to this, just addressing weird misconceptions about the attributes needed to have "infinite speed" or being "extradimensional" based off destroying space or time.

Avatar image for supermanwin1875
supermanwin1875

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Lol CAS already beat you fodder!

SirDragonFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Platonic forms were already debunked by Aristotle more than 2k years ago.

Avatar image for deactivated-65303587dc065
deactivated-65303587dc065

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This still factually wrong

Mar11nn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers