Pacific Rim 2 Director Thinks King Ghidorah Should Star in a Solo Film

Shin_Godzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

In an amusing break from shooting Pacific Rim: Maelstrom, director Steven DeKnight took to twitterrecently to talk kaiju films. When asked which Godzilla series monster deserved his own movie, he replied, "King Ghidorah, without a doubt."

Posed with the question of whether or not the movie should be a prequel to King Ghidorah's first visit to Earth in 1964's Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster, DeKnight was adamant about maintaining the human element. But he was intrigued by following up on Venus's destruction:

No Caption Provided

DeKnight also gushed that Gamera 2: The Advent of Legion was his favorite of the Gamera films after replying he was a major fan of kaiju films. It seems that Pacific Rim: Maelstrom is in the right hands. Could he be taking inspiration from these films? Maybe he could sign up for a solo King Ghidorah movie himself? What say you Legendary?

--

Source:

Steven DeKnight's Twitter

If you're a fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim and Kaiju and are looking forward to Pacific Rim: Maelstrom, be sure to join in our Pacific Rim 2 forums! With over 30,466 fans already registered, it's a great place to discuss the upcoming film, share ideas, expectations and engage with like-minded fans.

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shin_godzilla: thats very interesting. It would be a villain set up for Godzilla to fight.

Make him seem unstable in his solo movie then fight godzilla in the next movie.

Avatar image for stardustcrusader
StardustCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Already got the soundtrack.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd watch it, but the should set him up as a space invader going planet to planet,

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd watch it, but the should set him up as a space invader going planet to planet,

agreed. making his way to earth as the final planet where godzilla is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No thanks. Shin Godzilla reaffirmed my trust of a Japanese Godzilla production over an American one.

SpitfirePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Pacific Rim was a good movie, and that dude has some cool tattoos.

Avatar image for xthe_black_adamx
XThe_Black_Adamx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank God. I'm really excited about the Godzilla verse so far and it's introduction of kong. Even better it's good to see they're thinking about bringing back the classics as well, like king ghidorah. Also extremely hype for Pacific rim 2.

Avatar image for solomonthenotsowise
SolomonTheNotSoWise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I dont know if that would work honestly. Ghidorha doesnt have the same kind of name recognition that Godzilla or even King Kong do. I dont think a set up movie would get greenlit just to have him get smashed by Godzilla a movie later. Sounds like an expensive mistake.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont know if that would work honestly. Ghidorha doesnt have the same kind of name recognition that Godzilla or even King Kong do. I dont think a set up movie would get greenlit just to have him get smashed by Godzilla a movie later. Sounds like an expensive mistake.

Well its not like Ghidorah isn't well known lol.

The most biggest brand named kaiju/big monsters are usually.

1. Godzilla

2. King Kong

3. Mothra

4. Gamera

5. Rodan

6. King Ghidorah

So I wouldn't say its a stretch to make a film centered around him, but it would have to be completely unconventional to what Godzilla 2 may entail.

I mean I don't see the film coming out before that does, considering its gonna be Kong next year, then after that in 2019 Godzilla 2 which lost its director as well, then in 2020 Godzilla v. King Kong.

Avatar image for solomonthenotsowise
SolomonTheNotSoWise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@nerevarine_11: You kinda proved my point so to speak. I dont think a 6th string Kaiju could pull in the crowds. I think he could show up in someone elses movie and do fine I just dont think he will get a solo movie. Im still hoping we get a Gamera reboot soon.

Avatar image for dragonborntookanarrowtotheknee
DragonBornTookAnArrowToTheKnee789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, I don't think it'd work.

I'd much rather have Ghidorah be in the Godzilla films/future Legendary Kaiju films if possible as it'd be pretty effective