• 53 results
Avatar image for tsciallsolle3451
TSciallsolle3451

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Overall better written anime series? Dragonball Z or Naruto (98 votes)

Dragonball Z (1989 - 1996) has better story-telling 30%
Naruto (2002 - 2017) has better story-telling 63%
Did not watch Dragonball Z / Naruto / Both anime, or do not want to choose between these two 7%

If you guys noticed, Naruto is very similar to Dragonball Z in certain themes and style. How about comparing the quality of writing between the two anime series then?

Discuss.

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-5a89ca5697052
deactivated-5a89ca5697052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Naruto is definitely a way better anime in my opinion.

The story is telling is superior in every way.

(And I watched both, when I was a kid).

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Naruto but it went to complete crap towards the end.

I wouldn't say DBZ is bad though since it never really tried to be anything other than a fighting manga, which it did very well.

TwentyGoodMen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DBZ has storytelling?

TheDeathstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Namek saga was the best.

Avatar image for deactivated-614ce5c370323
deactivated-614ce5c370323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Naruto imo.

Adi_Frost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Adi_Frost

Well , this is a really subjective matter so a lot of people would have different opinions.
But for me I would say Naruto .

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Why are you splitting Dragon Ball into two halves whilst merging Naruto into one series?

Its either Dragon Ball vs Naruto, or Dragon Ball Z vs Naruto Shippuden. Pick one.

RukelnikovFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000 said:

I wouldn't say DBZ is bad though since it never really tried to be anything other than a fighting manga, which it did very well.

This is pretty on point.

Why are you splitting Dragon Ball into two halves whilst merging Naruto into one series?

Its either Dragon Ball vs Naruto, or Dragon Ball Z vs Naruto Shippuden. Pick one.

But this made me remember Dragon Ball, and "pre Z" didn't want to be a fighting manga, it was an adventure comedy, which gradually turned into a fighting manga. And back then the writting was good too (it made me laugh). So I'd say they are about even.

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jasonhawke

Dragon Ball Z

Ignorant fks will tell you Naruto or that DBZ has no story (Lol ok) but the amount of BS plot that was going on especially around Sasuke is insane. From Sasuke conveniently forgetting Itachi shedding tears right before he passed out or when Sasuke wants to destroy the Leaf Village (and rule everything) after learning about Itachi's sacrifice, to an undead Itachi straight up telling Sasuke to not do that but Sasuke don't give a fk.

At least in Dragon Ball Z it told the story it needed to with little to no BS

Now if this was DBSuper on the other hand...

TheDeathstroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By TheDeathstroke

While I can agree that Naruto is better written, I still think DBZ is the better anime.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

Naruto( though it's far from perfect)

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Naruto

Straja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did not watched Naruto but original Dragon ball was a good and well written...Dbz was kinda ok but not that good while GT and DBS are eben worse so yeah i guess Naruto is better written since it is so popular right now...

LadyAdeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Naruto. Everything about the story was perfect and at the same time melancholy ihmo. Not just the story...the fights were full of strategies and smart moves. They fight with their powers, yes, but also with their brains.

Dragon Ball was very nice since Namek Saga. Loved those characters, especially Frieza. The best villain of DBZ. After that it was just a sequence of power up: "hero defeats the villain - villain gets a power up and defeat the hero - hero gets a power up and defeat the villain again - villain gets another power up etc."
Loved some DB movies :3

Gotoucanario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Naruto overall but after Pain arc Naruto basically became budget DBZ.

Gaoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Gaoron

Both are bad story wise tbh especialy near the end of 2nd part. But Naruto atleast tried to have a plot where Z was straight up action with no plot.

The only good plot wise stories in Z were specials about Bardock and Trunks and saiyan saga.

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I admittedly don't know much about Boruto's dad the Manga. After the end of the Chunin exams I stopped caring about any other character that wasn't Rock Lee and stopped reading/watching

However DBZ's writing was pretty insane when you analyze it beyond the surface. While the Cell Saga was one of my favorites I can't honestly say that the show was well written. Not to mention how ridiculously hard they jumped the shark since Dragonball essentially rendering every one of the cool characters from Dragonball (Tien, Launch, Yamcha, Roshi, Kami, Bulma, Yajirobe, Mercenary Tao) absolutely useless, missing, dead, or turned into an unfortunate joke. Completely dropping entire mythos concepts (the mighty Osaru, Blutch waves, the Dragonballs themselves, power levels) and the absurd obsession with transformations and the multiple "I'm not left handed" moments.

While I thought Naruto was just uninteresting at least out of the two here it stayed true to itself somewhat in writing.

Avatar image for handofprometheus
HandOfPrometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HandOfPrometheus

Naruto. It started and ended the way it was supposed to be. There are hiccups in Naruto especially the war arc but reading naruto from start to finish is so good.

The cell arc is when I enjoyed DBZ the most.

Vaas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Naruto

GodEmperor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i love both. naruto for the story and intricate lore. dbz for the epic action/moments

Kingyang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both suck.

shirso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Early Naruto easily blows anything DB out of the water.

Gokluma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Gokluma

Even as a fan of DBZ say Naruto is far more creative at terms of moves,story and the characters.

Madara is better villain than guy called broly who whined about goku's crying

KanyeCosby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was never really into Naruto, and DBZ is probably my favorite anime of all time, but Naruto is probably better written.

Super_ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DBZ.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DBZ was epic, but kinda out grew it. Naruto probably.

Avatar image for midnightdragon18
midnightdragon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

most of part 2 naruto was absolute garbage

only the buu saga was lacking imo

Avatar image for deactivated-5a74443ccbad5
deactivated-5a74443ccbad5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Story Naruto

Action DBZ

SuperGoku17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DSTREET45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DSTREET45

Should've included Part 1 DB but whatever.

I'd say DBZ since while it wasn't as deep, it wasn't meant to be and didn't try to be anything bigger than it actually was. This made that overall quality consistent IMO.

Naruto on the other hand, started out great in Part 1 and Shippuden had a lot of potential to springboard off of that. But between the retcons, shafting of important side characters, trying to make almost every villain sympathetic, talk no jutsu, the oversaturated Uchiha plotline, perfect Itachi, overpowered sharingan bs, "child of destiny" bs, transmigrant bs, the War Arc, Madara, Kaguya, the War arc, the fighting style shifting from it's own unique blend of magic and ninjutsu to a discount DBZ with Power Rangers Megazords (Susanoo) fighting, Naruto and Sasuke literally getting a powerup handed to then by the SotSP, and even more I probably blocked out, most of Shippuden was not easy to get through IMO.

I view DBZ as a simple yet groundbreaking action series. It's not perfect but it stayed in its lane. I view Naruto and its characters as wasted potential.

Thedarkpaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither series is that well-written, imo, but this:

@lr_zeal said:

Story Naruto

Action DBZ

Avatar image for deactivated-5b59f8ae5ebaf
deactivated-5b59f8ae5ebaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

at least naruto has good story arcs

dragon ball z is just goku yelling to get stronger

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for supermanforever
Supermanforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Naruto is way better imo.

Omega_kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Omega_kai

Well they both were plagued with tons amounts of filler, though, with Dragon Ball Z the filler actually expanded and fleshed out the source material. Whilst with Naruto it did nothing become a huge hinderance and destroyed pacing along with immersion. Not to say that wasn’t a problem in DBZ too, it was just a more prevalent one in Naruto; I.E. Naruto filler percentage 43% and Naruto Shippuden filler percentage 44%. I would still pick DBZ even if the comparison was of manga, since Naruto Shippuden was almost bad throughout.

seastone98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Naruto is just written better but dbz is still quite charming in a simplistic way while naruto has a lot of coming if age over tones dat many pre teens & teens can relate 2

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Naruto by leaps, bounds and miles. You don't even need to ask.

Goldenblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Goldenblue

Both are great. Neither of them peaked at their endings though, peak DBZ is Namek Saga and peak Naruto is Pain Arc(Chunin exams close second).

Avatar image for masterskywalker
MasterSkywalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MasterSkywalker

Hellsing.

DSTREET45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DSTREET45

@dstreet45 said:

Should've included Part 1 DB but whatever.

I'd say DBZ since while it wasn't as deep, it wasn't meant to be and didn't try to be anything bigger than it actually was. This made that overall quality consistent IMO.

Naruto on the other hand, started out great in Part 1 and Shippuden had a lot of potential to springboard off of that. But between the retcons, shafting of important side characters, trying to make almost every villain sympathetic, talk no jutsu, the oversaturated Uchiha plotline, perfect Itachi, overpowered sharingan bs, "child of destiny" bs, reincarnation bs, the War Arc, Madara, Kaguya, the War arc, the fighting style shifting from it's own unique blend of magic and ninjutsu to a discount DBZ with Power Rangers Megazords (Susanoo) fighting, Naruto and Sasuke literally getting a powerup handed to then by the SotSP, and even more I probably blocked out, most of Shippuden was not easy to get through IMO.

I view DBZ as a simple yet groundbreaking action series. It's not perfect but it stayed in its lane. I view Naruto and its characters as wasted potential.

Kaizergenocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000 said:

This is pretty on point.

@silent_bomber said:

But this made me remember Dragon Ball, and "pre Z" didn't want to be a fighting manga, it was an adventure comedy, which gradually turned into a fighting manga. And back then the writting was good too (it made me laugh). So I'd say they are about even.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8c6122b379c
deactivated-5f8c6122b379c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Naruto didn't give us the characters of Videl and Hercule Satan and didn't give us anything as awesome as The Great Saiyaman or Majin Vegeta killing a bunch of people at The World Tournament.

But at the end of the day, both are crappy written overall animes that are incredibly overrated by nerds and try-hard edgelords who slit their wrists to bands like Slipknot and Linkin Park, but at least Dragon Ball has it moments and has far superior voice acting, animation, and action and at least Dragon Ball tries to be intelligent sometimes.

RDCDesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me I like Naruto as a whole better as far as story

But DBZ is too legendary and has more epic moments and is much more quicker in the action and threat delivery department. dragonball for example started off kiddish and didn’t get serious till king piccolo saga almost end of dB part 1. And naruto part 1 was kiddish and didn’t get serious till chunin exams. But beginning of Shippuden and DBZ Saiyan saga is still worlds apart. Beginning of Shippuden really dragged on and didn’t get serious till Pain arc. as in DBZ Saiyan saga just in the first saga of DBZ The fate of the world was at stake then the next saga the fate of the solar system. DBZ just gives us a faster story with more action unlike naruro it has cool moments and story but the action it takes longer to build up and countless back and forth talk in Naruto till actual battles that matter

NearlyEnough

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By NearlyEnough

Naruto is way better

NearlyEnough

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dstreet45: Seems like you didn’t understand Naruto at all, improve your reading comprehension and try reading the manga again

Ryokuma100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Naruto is written more intricately and better than DBZ, but DBZ has a better story if that makes sense.

DSTREET45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nearlyenough: No I understood Naruto well enough. I read it multiple times, watched and read multiple analysis of the manga and I still don't like the direction the story took in Shippuden.

Sorry you don't agree with my assessment but my reading comprehension isn't the problem.