Avatar image for imthedamnbatman
#201 Posted by ImTheDamnBatman (3973 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7: No, that's not what I've been implying. You severely lack reading comprehension skills. I said the SMALL portion of the female population in Hollywood is essentially an atmosphere where women can dress somewhat attractively in order to look different in the public eye. The exact same thing is what happens in comics; these female superheros are idols, women that are the celebrities of their world. It's not over sexualization, it's life.

You've just cemented that you've never been on a debate team in your life. Anybody who's been in a Debate team or Club knows that a resignation from a debate does not mean a loss. Then again, this is most likely the first only intense debate you've ever had. That much is evident from your excessive use of Ad Hominem, the new debator's favorite tool to try and 1-Up his opponent. Don't worry, as you engage in more debates you'll learn what are capable tactics and what are not. Or you could just actually take a course on it, of course.

#202 Edited by Billy Batson (60819 posts) - - Show Bio

Dude, she just drew Dick Grayson. Seriously now.

Yeah, I said the same thing a year ago to another user about the strip.

BB

#203 Posted by AngryHulks (3735 posts) - - Show Bio

Most writers are male, and they often express their fantasies into their art, which is quite normal.

Not only about sexual fantasies of the writers, but also their political standpoint, which is as obvious as sexuality.

#204 Posted by JakeN7 (15180 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7: No, that's not what I've been implying. You severely lack reading comprehension skills. I said the SMALL portion of the female population in Hollywood is essentially an atmosphere where women can dress somewhat attractively in order to look different in the public eye. The exact same thing is what happens in comics; these female superheros are idols, women that are the celebrities of their world. It's not over sexualization, it's life.

You never even tried to imply that, let alone say that. You talked about celebrities once in a stupid example from your last post. That's all. And you've only proven my point. The media loves to over-sexualize because sex sells. The majority of women are not like that (unlike in comics.) And no, if anyone needs to learn to read it's you. I have been in the 99th percentile of the nation for reading and reading comprehension since the first grade.

You've just cemented that you've never been on a debate team in your life. Anybody who's been in a Debate team or Club knows that a resignation from a debate does not mean a loss. Then again, this is most likely the first only intense debate you've ever had. That much is evident from your excessive use of Ad Hominem, the new debator's favorite tool to try and 1-Up his opponent. Don't worry, as you engage in more debates you'll learn what are capable tactics and what are not. Or you could just actually take a course on it, of course.

Who's being condescending now hypocrite? Practice the respect you preach about. And no, if I'm being honest I haven't (I was approached to be recruited numerous times, but I was more concerned with being cool and I though the debate team was for nerds. Huge regret in my life.) First I can't read, now this is my first debate? Weren't you just complaining about me insulting you? That plus this thread is evidence that you're the king of double standards and deflection. And no, I wouldn't exactly call this an "intense debate" seeing as how I'm arguing against an ignorant, stubborn, wall.

#205 Posted by ImTheDamnBatman (3973 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7: Haha, the fact that you have to lie about all this to sound more credible is delicious. 99th percentile? You'd be lucky to pass for the top 80th.

But sure, you've won this debate by my resignation. Congratulations. Now if you don't mind, I have to drive 13 hours tommorow to go to a funeral, so goodbye.

#206 Edited by JakeN7 (15180 posts) - - Show Bio

@imthedamnbatman said:

@jaken7: Haha, the fact that you have to lie about all this to sound more credible is delicious. 99th percentile? You'd be lucky to pass for the top 80th.

But sure, you've won this debate by my resignation. Congratulations. Now if you don't mind, I have to drive 13 hours tommorow to go to a funeral, so goodbye.

Would you like me to post my reports? Or have my mommy vouch for me? And now, you're just being a dou***.

Well that's unfortunate. Sorry for your loss. Hope you're more respectful of people (especially women) once you're there.

#207 Posted by ImTheDamnBatman (3973 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7: But you're not, and you know you're not. That's the best part. You can say it all you want, but you know it isn't true.

And you can stop trying to taunt me now. It's the saddest attempt I've seen in a while.

#209 Posted by lykopis (10845 posts) - - Show Bio

This thread is awesome.

#211 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (26391 posts) - - Show Bio

Allow me to borrow something from a friend.

#212 Posted by lykopis (10845 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran:

Reading the commentary from posters who claim women aren't "over-sexualized" in comics is amusing. Sometimes willful ignorance can be amusing but only because the ignorance is so ridiculous, it's become entertainment. As in, amusing. :P

#213 Edited by Dr_Harlequin (755 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran: We're enjoying this heated discussion.

#214 Posted by JakeN7 (15180 posts) - - Show Bio

@imthedamnbatman: You're the one trying to taunt me by disbelieving my prowess in reading. Saddest attempt I've seen in my life.

#215 Posted by ImTheDamnBatman (3973 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7: I just thought it was awfully conveinent, considering I'm also in the 99th percentile for every category except math.

#217 Edited by lykopis (10845 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran:

Well, put it this way? The conversation has veered towards "slutty" clothing being the norm -- prostitutes selling their wares all over the place and how being a smarty-pants means you are right all the time because of said pants-of-smartiness. It's an awesome conversation.

Edit: Not right all the time, but hey -- sure does help though. Apparently. Or some such thing.

#219 Posted by lykopis (10845 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran:

lol -- sounds spot-on to me.

#220 Posted by judasnixon (12663 posts) - - Show Bio

Man it use to be bad in the 90's..... Does anyone remember this $#!%

No Caption Provided
#221 Edited by JakeN7 (15180 posts) - - Show Bio

@imthedamnbatman: How is that convenient? There's over 300 million people in this country. You thought you were the only one? I said 99th percentile, not 100th percentile. And I'm terrible at math.

#222 Edited by Ryagan (5193 posts) - - Show Bio

Moviebob addresses this issue pretty well, as well as the argument of, "Well, men are oversexualized!"

Loading Video...

#223 Posted by lifeofvibe (3785 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc: your way to smart for your own good or my own good

#224 Edited by lifeofvibe (3785 posts) - - Show Bio
#225 Edited by hyperbertha (1363 posts) - - Show Bio

@imthedamnbatman: How many female artists do you know? Women are drawn with big b**bs and great curves by men. And that's what makes it sexualized. Artists like Frank Cho became famous mainly because of the way he draws women and he admitted it himself. And comics with voluptuous women on the cover sell. And characters like catwoman appear naked in like every batman comic ever released. So yes women are depicted like that.

As for your argument regarding male characters being drawn in the same way I disagree. What other way would you draw batman? Or superman? Imagine them without the muscles. It's not suitable for them. And can you post a pic of them actually flexing muscles in awkward positions? And 'slim' characters like spiderman are generally drawn just like that. Slim with barely any treat for non-straight men.Just look at the way most women are drawn these days. They are almost always very well endowed (to an unnecessary degree) and have real muscular thighs and tummies with abs. This really isn't necessary when you're drawing a female hero. Give her just enough curves and everything else. There is just no need to make anyone so voluptuous. But its still done because such comics sell and such artists get known.

My conclusion: Women are over sexualized.

#226 Edited by hyperbertha (1363 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7: Where's that second scan from ? :)

#227 Posted by JakeN7 (15180 posts) - - Show Bio

@hyperbertha: I posted dozens, I'm not sure which one you mean. I'd be happy to help if I could though. :)

#228 Edited by Wolverine008 (51027 posts) - - Show Bio

Women aren't sexualized in comics! Looking curvy and slutty is the natural thing!

#229 Edited by Alertcircuit (187 posts) - - Show Bio

If you think women aren't sexualized in comics, just remember that Power Girl's old costume was a thing that existed.

#230 Posted by hyperbertha (1363 posts) - - Show Bio
#231 Posted by fodigg (6244 posts) - - Show Bio
#232 Posted by Prototypehydra (101 posts) - - Show Bio

I came.

#233 Posted by hyperbertha (1363 posts) - - Show Bio
#234 Edited by fodigg (6244 posts) - - Show Bio
#235 Posted by Rubear (4643 posts) - - Show Bio

Bizarro understand. This am wrong and should stopped be.

#236 Edited by sinestro_GL (3651 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh internetz, you so funny!

#237 Posted by Homifred (361 posts) - - Show Bio

Women over sexualized in comics? Absolutely! I am sure many of you comprehend the frustration of reading an amazing comic, only to have an even more amazing heroine arrive on the scene, save the hero stealing the show in the process... and get an erection (excuse my vulgar language) when you realize that the amazing heroine...looks like a seductress. ..all she requires is a whip and a sign that states "dominatrix hooker!" in bright neon lights!

#238 Posted by hart7668 (2334 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran said:

@billy_batson said:

Lol, again someone brings up the false equivalence.

Superhero comics are usually done by males for males. The male superheroes are a power fantasy while female superheroes are wank fantasy.

Here's an often posted strip about the subject:

No Caption Provided

BB

+1

>9000

#240 Posted by mrmonster (15107 posts) - - Show Bio

OP said it perfectly. Sure the women in comics have unrealistically perfect bodies, but so do the men.

"But look how sexual women's costumes are in comics."

Well, the men in comics usually wear something that shows off how prominent their muscles are, so it goes both ways.

Has it ever occurred to whiny feminists that if they don't want to see oversexualized women in comics, that they should not buy comics. Either that or only buy Faith comics, so that they will have something to validate their obese bodies.

#242 Posted by silent_bomber (4931 posts) - - Show Bio

Things have changed a lot in the last two years, I wouldn't be surprised if half the people in this thread have changed their minds now.

#244 Posted by mrmonster (15107 posts) - - Show Bio

Things have changed a lot in the last two years, I wouldn't be surprised if half the people in this thread have changed their minds now.

Which way? Do you think those who believe comics are sexist would now think they're not, or do you think that people who don't believe comics are sexist would not they they are?

#246 Posted by silent_bomber (4931 posts) - - Show Bio

@silent_bomber: Whats your opinion?

Market dictates product, and private companies have no moral obligations to provide ideologically driven content.

#248 Edited by jumpstart55 (11025 posts) - - Show Bio
  • I wonder how many people read comics just becuase the women and men are drawn really oversexulaized....And not becuase of the story.
  • I bet that would be an interesting study.
#249 Edited by silkyballfro94 (8674 posts) - - Show Bio

Who gives a shit. It's art based on fictional characters. So what if it's drawn by men? That male artist can express himself however he wants. If you don't like it, then don't buy it.

Women are sexual in real life (just like men). This is not something only found in comics. And there's plenty of women who like the costume designs for example. Have any of you ever been to a comic book convention? Have you seen all the women who dress up in those outfits (cosplay), designed by the artist in the comic? They obviously have no problem with it and embrace it. Who are you or I to tell them it's wrong that they like that costume?

Also, I saw a couple comments while quickly skimming the thread saying they'd like to see superhero women drawn as the average woman in real life. Have you guys seen what the average woman looks like? They don't exactly look "super". Just like the average guy in real life doesn't look super.

#250 Posted by mrmonster (15107 posts) - - Show Bio

• I wonder how many people read comics just becuase the women are drawn so oversexulaized....
  • I bet that would be an interesting study.

I'd bet on next to none. If you just want to see boobs, why pay $3.99-$4.99 for each individual comic book when you can go on Google Images for free, and actually see real boobs? Who knows, maybe there is some guy out there who just reads comics for the women, but I'd be surprised if even 1% of comic book readers do so exclusively (or even just primarily) for the women.