Old Zack Snyder Interview Reveals What Made Him Love Watchmen and Comics As Well As What "Dark" Really Means

• 52 results
Avatar image for darkdetective27
darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

I found this old interview from Entertainment Weekly that provides his thoughts on Watchmen and reveals a bit about the man now in charge of the DCEU. http://www.ew.com/article/2008/07/17/watchmen-chat-director-zack-snyder

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: First 300, now Watchmen — have you always been a comics fan?

ZACK SNYDER:

I came to comic books through my mother. I loved fantasy art — I love Frank Frazetta [the famed illustrator known for adult-oriented, sword-and-sorcery, and sci-fi imagery]. I went to boarding school. You weren’t allowed too many posters up, and everything I set up was slightly inappropriate. Frazetta’s naked girls, ripped up guys — the kids were like, ”What the hell?!” They had their Boy George posters up, I had crazy Frazetta. My mother saw I was into this comic called Heavy Metal magazine, so she got me a subscription. You could call it ”high-brow” comics, but to me, that comic book was just pretty sexy! I had a buddy who tried getting me into ”normal” comic books, but I was all like, ”No one is having sex or killing each other. This isn’t really doing it for me.” I was a little broken, that way. So when Watchmen came along, I was, ”This is more my scene.”

Your mom sounds pretty cool.

She’s just a little bit on the edge. She always did inappropriate stuff when we were kids, like teaching us how to toilet-paper the neighbor’s house or lighting fireworks. She was a gifted painter and amazing photographer. Just a free spirit. I bought a movie camera and started making movies when I was 11. It was a really cheap camera and it wasn’t really working for me, so she bought me the b

est camera she could find. Awesome camera. I had it forever. My mom always encouraged me, it was never weird. She’d look at Heavy Metaland go ”Woo-hoo!”

Watchmen was published in comic-book form in 1986 — but you discovered the story in its graphic novel a few years later when you were in college, right?

I had seen it in the store when it first came out as a comic, but I never got the first issue, and I couldn’t get into it at the middle; I felt like I missed it a little bit.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: When you finally read it, what did you think?

ZACK SNYDER:

Watchmen is like the music you feel is written just for you. ”That’s my song, no one else gets that but me.” That’s why the fan base is so rabid, because they feel personal about it. The difference between Watchmen and a normal comic book is this: With Batman’s Gotham City, you are transported to another world where that superhero makes sense; Watchmen comes at it in a different way, it almost superimposes its heroes on your world, which then changes how you view your world through its prism. That’s the genius of this book. That’s what we try and do in the movie. The movie is a challenge — sort of like the book is a challenge — to your icons, your morality, how you perceive pop culture, how you perceive mythology, and for that matter, how you perceive God. It was absolutely genius that Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons did all of that in the context of a superhero story. That was a revolution for a lot of people. You sit down to read something that’s ”just a comic book,” and then you’re, like, ”Holy s—, my mind got blown!”

Several filmmakers have tried to turn Watchmen into a movie and failed. One issue Hollywood has always had with the material is that it requires an intimate familiarity with the superhero genre in order to fully appreciate it. Does the fact that Watchmen is finally being made into a movie indicate something has changed in the culture?

The average movie audience has seen — well, I can’t even count the amount of superhero movies. Fantastic Four, X-Men, Superman, Spider-Man. The Marvel universe has gone nuts; we’re going to have a fricking Captain America movie if we’re not careful. Thor, too! We’re on our second Hulk movie. And Iron Man — $300 million domesticbox office on a second tier superhero! And not to demean Iron Man — my point is that we all know about superheroes now. I can ask my mother, ”Mom, when the Hulk isn’t the Hulk, who is he?” ”Bruce Banner. Why? What a weird question.” I could ask her, ”What happened to Bruce Wayne’s parents?” ”They were killed at an opera.” You’re getting to that saturation level where superhero movies, it’s hard for them to figure out what more to do.

Well, one new point of difference is make them more grim and gritty, like Hancock or The Dark Knight, which seems to also work inWatchmen’s favor —

Everyone says that about [Christopher Nolan’s] Batman Begins. ”Batman’s dark.” I’m like, okay, ”No, Batman’s cool.” He gets to go to a Tibetan monastery and be trained by ninjas. Okay? I want to do that. But he doesn’t, like, get raped in prison. That could happen in my movie. If you want to talk about dark, that’s how that would go. I believe that pop culture is just, like, so ready for Watchmen. We tried so hard to ride that wave between satire and reality, and all the things that make you still care about the character, but you don’t miss the commentary about them. Nite-Owl is Batman. The guy has a fricking cave under his house! No doubt a fanboy will look at the movie and not get it. ”He looks just like Batman!” Precisely. When people saw our version of the Ozymandias costume on the Internet, some were like, ”It’s like a Joel Schumacher Batman movie! The costume has nipples! That’s crazy!” And I’m like, ”Yeah, but that’s the point!” With their comic, Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons were saying, ”Superheroes are kinda funky, aren’t they?” We build upon that with a movie that acknowledges that superhero movies have affected pop culture.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Your current cut of the film is about three hours long. I’m guessing it’s going to have be shorter.

ZACK SNYDER:

Everyone wants it shorter, and I’m trying to help them. Warner Bros., they’re my partners, and I want to give them a movie that they feel like they can get behind. But there’s going to be a point where I’m going to be, ”Look guys, I can’t cut that. It’s notWatchmen anymore.” You can’t make it into something else, you really can’t. It’s not Fantastic Four, it’s got to be hard R, it’s got to challenge everyone’s ideas. When they say, ”You should be less sexy and less violent,” I say, ”But that’s Watchmen.”

About the violence: You have a scene in your movie where Dr. Manhattan incinerates a bad guy — and your camera dotes of the bloody, chunky aftermath. That’s pretty intense for a superhero movie.

That’s Superman gone bad. If Superman grabbed your arm and pulled really hard, he’d pull your arm out of your socket. That’s the thing you don’t see in a Superman movie. But in Watchmen, what you get is, like, ”I’m a Superman, and I really want to help mankind — but I just tore this guy in half by accident. People call me a ‘superhero,’ but I don’t even know wha

t that means. I just blew this guy to bits! That’s heroic?”

Alan Moore has disavowed any film version of Watchmen. Did you try and reach out to him at all?

That bridge had been burned before we got involved. Maybe it’s a good thing — he probably would have talked me out of it. Alan’s a genius, and his book is a genius. If my movie is an advertisement for the book, great. If it’s anything else, then I f—ed up. I hope people see the movie and go, ”I gotta read that book,” because the ideas are crazy. ”Can those ideas possibly be in that book?” Yeah — and a jillion other ones that I couldn’t even get near.

Are you nervous about going to Comic-Con this year and appearing before all the fans who hold the comic as sacred?

I’m nervous but really excited. I feel like there has never been a movie more custom-made for that crowd. Not at this scale. Comic-Con fans have become the gatekeepers of pop culture. You test these movies there. So I’m going to go down there and say, ”Hey, what do you guys think?” If they’re going to go, ”What the f— is this?” that’s fine! That’s part of the process. A genre fan, a comic-book movie fan, is worth 20 normal fans. They blog, talk, buy. For them, a movie is a life experience. The special piece that I’ve cut for Comic-Con, it’sdesigned to let them know that I care about this book. I hope that amidst all of the hyped-up superhero movies that are down there — and I’m sure there are good movies amongst them — Watchmen will be seen for what it is: pure, completely unspoiled, certainly the lesser of all the evils.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By jumpstart55

Well i,m not surprised Batman vs Superman was quite literally almost a shot for shot remake of Watchmen with minor elements of The Dark Knight Returns, Superman is Doctor Manhattan and Ozymandias is Batman. not to mention Doomsday and that explosion at the end are very similar the only difference is that Superman,Batman and Wonder Woman were able to prevent it from becoming much worse and they pretty much prevented any loss of life or casualties(But then again i guess thats why the Zod invasion in Man of Steel was suppose to represent). And though i liked the Watchmen film, that wasnt the kind of movie i wanted Batman vs Superman to be, becuase such a story dosent really emphasize or represent any of the traits that make those characters great especially Superman. What Synder dosent get is Alan Moore wasnt trying to embrace Superheroes he was trying to pervert the idea of Superheroes. And yes it worked for a run off one shot released in the gritty 80s era of comics, but it certainly wasn't going to work in a post MCU Superheros are awesome and thriving market place. And if he still wanted to go Dark i would have preferred Superman: Red Son as opposed to Watchmen aleast that story emphasized and embraced what makes Superman so great. Because Watchmen wasn't a Superhero movie it was a 2 hour social commentary on Superheroes stripped of everything that makes Superheroes fun and entertaining.And his track record with BvS has made quite obvious that Synder should just stop making Superhero movies becuase either the guy just outright dosent like Superheros or his understanding of them is fundamentally flawed.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Lol reading the whole thing about nobody is dying or having sex so Snyder wasn't into it does not surprise me.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Spambot

@jumpstart55: I don't agree that Moore wanted to pervert what being a super hero meant. He just was trying to add a degree of realism to them that was greatly lacking back then and show that there was more to be explored then them just galloping from one villain or cosmic threat to the next and always saving the day with the occasional death here and there. Someone has to be willing to think outside of the box for any medium to advance itself.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

This dude is just....ugh

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jumpstart55

@spambot said:

@jumpstart55: I don't agree that Moore wanted to pervert what being a super hero meant. He just was trying to add a degree of realism to them that was greatly lacking back then and show that there was more to be explored then them just galloping from one villain or cosmic threat to the next and always saving the day with the occasional death here and there.

And Yea what you said is part of it, but the book read more like a social commentary and deconstruction of the Superhero not just a simple change of pace in terms of giving superheros a more complex narratives.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jumpstart55: Well ya, that's sort of his style though. He takes things in a direction and tries to take it as far as he can go while telling a story. I'm not saying everyone needs to love Watchmen for what it is but just that people like him are needed in a genre to get others in it to think in new ways and what can be done with it.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

lol, nice title

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jumpstart55

@spambot said:

@jumpstart55: Well ya, that's sort of his style though. He takes things in a direction and tries to take it as far as he can go while telling a story. I'm not saying everyone needs to love Watchmen for what it is but just that people like him are needed in a genre to get others in it to think in new ways and what can be done with it.

Yea i totally agree innovation is greatly needed especially in an industry like the comics business.

TheGhostKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheGhostKnight

He nailed Watchmen,gotta give him that. Now after BvS , it's time to nail him to a door

IHateAnimu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By IHateAnimu

Watchmen is to comic books like how Cowboy Bebop is to anime or GTA is to Video Games: It's the favorite comic book for people who hate comic books. Zack Snyder just reasons why he isn't the man to handle these big DC superheroes. He doesn't understand the qualities or appeal that has enchanted millions around the world and just sees them as kind of silly and/or childish that need to be "adultified" to appeal to people. if your masculinity or maturity were measured by your hobbies and passions rather then your demeanor and levelheadedness, then you couldn't like anything.

Don't get me wrong now. I love Alan Moore and I think comics should change and broaden their horizon but it goes both ways along the spectrum. If men like Snyder were mandating comics, something as amazing like Bone would never have been made and the entire debacle that was early image would be the example, not the exception.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He sounds like an enthusiastic comic book guy.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theghostknight said:

He nailed Watchmen,gotta give him that. Now after BvS , it's time to nail him to a door

lol, I just love this post

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Penguin-Dust

So he wants to create a world where Batman gets raped in prison...perhaps he's better suited to filming a reboot of HBO's Oz.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By darkdetective27

Bump

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Don't see what you're try to accomplish with this post. It was a good interview

Err wait. Forgot where I was for a second.

ZACK SNYDER IS THE DEVIL. LEARN TO MARVEL. ANGER. RAGE. HOLIER THAN THOU ATTITUDE. AND STUFF

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: Figured Id share it as a way for people to understand Snyder's creative thought process, what he likes about comics, and what to him is actually dark. Snyder is one of the most talked about directors right now so it seemed relevant.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

If Synder thinks books like Watchmen, with sex and super-dark themes, represents what superheroes should be like, then he we'll never make a good superhero movie, ever.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#22  Edited By Fallschirmjager
Avatar image for timelordscience
TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: Frankly I know he gets a lot of hatred but he deserves some of the derision.

I had a buddy who tried getting me into ”normal” comic books, but I was all like, ”No one is having sex or killing each other. This isn’t really doing it for me.” I was a little broken, that way. So when Watchmen came along, I was, ”This is more my scene.”

This is why many Superman fans want him away from the character.

Noone1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Well i,m not surprised Batman vs Superman was quite literally almost a shot for shot remake of Watchmen with minor elements of The Dark Knight Returns, Superman is Doctor Manhattan and Ozymandias is Batman. not to mention Doomsday and that explosion at the end are very similar the only difference is that Superman,Batman and Wonder Woman were able to prevent it from becoming much worse and they pretty much prevented any loss of life or casualties(But then again i guess thats why the Zod invasion in Man of Steel was suppose to represent). And though i liked the Watchmen film, that wasnt the kind of movie i wanted Batman vs Superman to be, becuase such a story dosent really emphasize or represent any of the traits that make those characters great especially Superman. What Synder dosent get is Alan Moore wasnt trying to embrace Superheroes he was trying to pervert the idea of Superheroes. And yes it worked for a run off one shot released in the gritty 80s era of comics, but it certainly wasn't going to work in a post MCU Superheros are awesome and thriving market place. And if he still wanted to go Dark i would have preferred Superman: Red Son as opposed to Watchmen aleast that story emphasized and embraced what makes Superman so great. Because Watchmen wasn't a Superhero movie it was a 2 hour social commentary on Superheroes stripped of everything that makes Superheroes fun and entertaining. Synder should just stop making Superheroes becuase either the guy dosent like Superheros or his understanding of them is fundamentally flawed.

This ^

NeonGameWave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theblueangel93 said:

If Synder thinks books like Watchmen, with sex and super-dark themes, represents what superheroes should be like, then he we'll never make a good superhero movie, ever.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno..wasn't TDK dark and heavy? Granted, Batman wasn't having sex all over the place, but tone wise, it was dark, it was pretty humorless (except for the Joker's "dark humor.) was quite heavy-handed with it's order vs chaos theme. I will always maintain the problem with any film is never "tone"..it's execution of the storyline. Now, I know Batman is darker than Superman and I can see where folks would day a film with Superman in ti needs to be bit more hopeful, but many of the best Superman comic stories I've read can be quite dark. (Especially the Elseworld's tales like "The Nail") I liked BvS (Though I'm sure I'll like CW more.) but it no doubt had some flaws in the execution (The Martha bit and so on.) That's what made it disappointing, not the tone. Also glad to see many dumping on BvS aren't glad it failed and wanted it to be better. (Though some like that it flopped.) They are great characters (just like Marvel's) but like any other are products of the creative teams behind them, for better or worse.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 the_stegman  Moderator

Don't see what you're try to accomplish with this post. It was a good interview

Err wait. Forgot where I was for a second.

ZACK SNYDER IS THE DEVIL. LEARN TO MARVEL. ANGER. RAGE. HOLIER THAN THOU ATTITUDE. AND STUFF

GET HIM OUT OF DCEU!! HE DOESN'T GET THE IDEA I HAVE FOR THESE CHARACTERS IN MY HEAD, SO HE'S OBVIOUSLY A HACK, GRRRRR!!

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wish Snyder's mother gave him a copy of Kingdom come too....Damn. You can't do Superman with Watchmen as a base inspiration for 'real' Superheroes. Mostly because Watchmen was a purposeful satire/deconstruction of the whole Superhero genre. Self admitted by Moore himself.

Well i,m not surprised Batman vs Superman was quite literally almost a shot for shot remake of Watchmen with minor elements of The Dark Knight Returns, Superman is Doctor Manhattan and Ozymandias is Batman. not to mention Doomsday and that explosion at the end are very similar the only difference is that Superman,Batman and Wonder Woman were able to prevent it from becoming much worse and they pretty much prevented any loss of life or casualties(But then again i guess thats why the Zod invasion in Man of Steel was suppose to represent). And though i liked the Watchmen film, that wasnt the kind of movie i wanted Batman vs Superman to be, becuase such a story dosent really emphasize or represent any of the traits that make those characters great especially Superman. What Synder dosent get is Alan Moore wasnt trying to embrace Superheroes he was trying to pervert the idea of Superheroes. And yes it worked for a run off one shot released in the gritty 80s era of comics, but it certainly wasn't going to work in a post MCU Superheros are awesome and thriving market place. And if he still wanted to go Dark i would have preferred Superman: Red Son as opposed to Watchmen aleast that story emphasized and embraced what makes Superman so great. Because Watchmen wasn't a Superhero movie it was a 2 hour social commentary on Superheroes stripped of everything that makes Superheroes fun and entertaining.And his track record with BvS has made quite obvious that Synder should just stop making Superhero movies becuase either the guy just outright dosent like Superheros or his understanding of them is fundamentally flawed.

Nice post but i wouldn't say BvS is completely like Watchmen. Snyder's going for the 'real world' themes (something i love and that is fresh in Superhero movies) but he's not completely embracing and showcasing what makes the characters(genuine superheroes) themselves great. Watchmen made Superheroes ugly. In my opinion, BvS doesn't do that but it doesn't do much of anything to portray what makes characters great. Since Bats had a mostly antagonistic role in the movie, I'm mostly speaking for Superman's part, cause Clark had all the best super hero-y lines in the movie. Bruce only had that one speech in the end.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manwhohaseverything: I thought TDK had lots of momements of humor like the blackmail scene, where Lucious remarks his suit is a little 90s, and the panic room scene plus lots of other moments. The humor always seemed a lot more subtle.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manwhohaseverything: Also I would agree that TDK was very dark. In the interview, Snyder seems to imply that it isnt though since it doesnt deal with rape and murder on the extent of Watchmen. It basically confirms that Snyder doesnt see MoS and BvS as that dark or as dark as people say. Or at least thats what I make of it.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jumpstart55

@ultimatesmfan: Yea he really wasnt trying to showcase much of that core Superhero juice/lifeblood at all.lol..And kingdom Come would of been another great more grounded story to use as the base..And a real world themed based Superhero movie works even better becuase it shows you what exactly makes them Superheros both with the saving and theres nothing like seeing a Superheroes morals tested against the grit and grime of real world plotics..Thats why i loved how they Made Iron-man accountable for his actions in the first film,As you saw real world consequences..Snyders grounded approach was never the problem it was the execution and the shockingly lack of the Super and fun aspect of those characters that was the problem..

Prossor_Kobras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was enlightening.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultimatesmfan: Yea he really wasnt trying to showcase much of that core Superhero juice/lifeblood at all.lol..And kingdom Come would of been another great more grounded story to use as the base..And a real world themed based Superhero movie works even better becuase it shows you what exactly makes them Superheros both with the saving and theres nothing like seeing a Superheroes morals tested against the grit and grime of real world plotics..Thats why i loved how they Made Iron-man accountable for his actions in the first film,As you saw real world consequences..Snyders grounded approach was never the problem it was the execution and the shockingly lack of the Super and fun aspect of those characters that was the problem..

That was something he tried to do in BvS (the accountable part) but didn't execute well. A lot of people didn't like/didn't trust Superman because of what happened in MoS. That's fine. But it begged the question, why did they have a statue of him then? If he was that controversial, he wouldn't have one. As result Superman's "controversial status" (And a main reason Batman didn't trust him) felt forced into the story and a natural result.) I've always maintained Snyder's problems aren't attitude or tone, but some levels of bad execution. (And I liked MoS and BvS, but neither was as good as it should've been IMHO.)

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jumpstart55

@manwhohaseverything said:
@jumpstart55 said:

That was something he tried to do in BvS (the accountable part) but didn't execute well. A lot of people didn't like/didn't trust Superman because of what happened in MoS. That's fine. But it begged the question, why did they have a statue of him then? If he was that controversial, he wouldn't have one. As result Superman's "controversial status" (And a main reason Batman didn't trust him) felt forced into the story and a natural result.) I've always maintained Snyder's problems aren't attitude or tone, but some levels of bad execution. (And I liked MoS and BvS, but neither was as good as it should've been IMHO.)

Yea i liked and somewhat loved Man of Steel, but i was really disappointed by BVS...Could have been soooo much better. .And my biggest gripe with the film among my laundry list of problems was the surprisingly dull, lack of a charismatic and interesting Superman..I dont mind if hes grounded those are actually some of my favorite Superman stories but at the very least give him a personality,charisma(Like a real strong screen presence) and make him interesting..And give him some damn good lines.lmao

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manwhohaseverything said:
@jumpstart55 said:

Yea i liked and somewhat loved Man of Steel, but i was really disappointed by BVS...Could have been soooo much better. .And my biggest gripe with the film among my laundry list of problems was the surprisingly dull, lack of a charismatic and interesting Superman..I dont mind if hes grounded those are actually some of my favorite Superman stories but at the very least give him a personality,charisma(Like a real strong screen presence) and make him interesting..And give him some damn good lines.lmao

Ditto.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had a buddy who tried getting me into ”normal” comic books, but I was all like, ”No one is having sex or killing each other. This isn’t really doing it for me.”

No Caption Provided

She’s just a little bit on the edge. She always did inappropriate stuff when we were kids, like teaching us how to toilet-paper the neighbor’s house or lighting fireworks.

I have a feeling she'd lose custody and/or get charged with child abuse if she tried that today.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weren't these comments made 8 years ago? Not sure why this should rustle jimmies but it is.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weren't these comments made 8 years ago? Not sure why this should rustle jimmies but it is.

Because he directs the DC movies now and people are starting to investigate on him.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Because it gives a lot of insight into his line of thinking, which reflects his stupid decisions when handling the DC movies.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

because after his recent drunken rant, it seems like his views haven't changed at all. And considering his vision for JL, he only cares about the dark superhero stories. The fact that MoS had any heart at all is obviously due to the influence of Goyer and Nolan. Dude is a hack

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Heatforce

@saintwildcard: Nah, someone who works through their kid's suicide to produce art for fans is not a hack. The one who took over the direction of Justice League and turned it into a poor version of the Avengers by making wondy eye candy, Flash an idiot and Batman a joke machine might be :) Sure I get you didn't like BvS but it's quite obvious his intentions were to deconstruct established characters (Superman and Batman) only to build them up.

Oddly enough, it lines up with more serious takes ala the new 52 so with your hate of rebirth I don't quite get which way your pendulum swings my dude.

Edit: MCU stans, I don't hate Joss, just what he did to JL.

DeadpoolUchiha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: Nah, someone who works through their kid's suicide to produce art for fans is not a hack. The one who took over the direction of Justice League and turned it into a poor version of the Avengers by making wondy eye candy, Flash an idiot and Batman a joke machine might be :) Sure I get you didn't like BvS but it's quite obvious his intentions were to deconstruct established characters (Superman and Batman) only to build them up.

Oddly enough, it lines up with more serious takes ala the new 52 so with your hate of rebirth I don't quite get which way your pendulum swings my dude.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SaintWildcard

@heatforce said:

A) His daughter didn't commit suicide when he was a kid, and decades later did the interview where he wanted to have Batman get raped

B) He had a darker movie in mind for JL before his daughter even died

C) Just cus your kid dies doesn't give you immunity from criticism on your work. He didn't become a different person when it came to Superhero stories, he still had that same view before and after.

D) Using the New 52 without knowing the stories I like is a rather useless defense. Only 2 writers in the New 52 I acknowledge as Superman writers are Grant Morrison and Greg Pak

E) My hatred of Rebirth (the relaunch not the book) comes from a petty place, but at the same time I understand why it happened. I hate Johns story since it's just fan service while at the same time throwing the Watchmen under the bus once again as a catalyst for dark stories. Both him and Snyder seem to not understand what the point of Watchmen was, or rather they both don't care and use it how they see fit.

F) Judging from the interviews, Snyder never had any intention (at least not anytime soon) of ever easing off the gas when it came to his edgy bullshit. Had he had his way, we would have had to till the 4th movie before he ever decided to even show us some heroic hopeful moments. Honestly, had it not been for Goyer and Nolan, I don't think MoS would have turned out halfway as decent as it did.

BONUS: JL being shit doesn't mean his take on Superman in BvS wasn't shit. The sins of an other doesn't wash away your sins

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Heatforce

@saintwildcard said: @heatforce said: @saintwildcard: Nah, someone who works through their kid's suicide to produce art for fans is not a hack. The one who took over the direction of Justice League and turned it into a poor version of the Avengers by making wondy eye candy, Flash an idiot and Batman a joke machine might be :) Sure I get you didn't like BvS but it's quite obvious his intentions were to deconstruct established characters (Superman and Batman) only to build them up.

A) His daughter didn't commit suicide when he was a kid, and decades later did the interview where he wanted to have Batman get raped

B) He had a darker movie in mind for JL before his daughter even died

C) Just cus your kid dies doesn't give you immunity from criticism on your work. He didn't become a different person when it came to Superhero stories, he still had that same view before and after.

D) Using the New 52 without knowing the stories I like is a rather useless defense. Only 2 writers in the New 52 I acknowledge as Superman writers are Grant Morrison and Greg Pak

E) My hatred of Rebirth (the relaunch not the book) comes from a petty place, but at the same time I understand why it happened. I hate Johns story since it's just fan service while at the same time throwing the Watchmen under the bus once again as a catalyst for dark stories. Both him and Snyder seem to not understand what the point of Watchmen was, or rather they both don't care and use it how they see fit.

F) Judging from the interviews, Snyder never had any intention (at least not anytime soon) of ever easing off the gas when it came to his edgy bullshit. Had he had his way, we would have had to till the 4th movie before he ever decided to even show us some heroic hopeful moments. Honestly, had it not been for Goyer and Nolan, I don't think MoS would have turned out halfway as decent as it did.

BONUS: JL being shit doesn't mean his take on Superman in BvS wasn't shit. The sins of an other doesn't wash away your sins

A) The interview was done after Watchmen I believe and I've acknowledged he isn't the best at interviews. Apparently he suffers from dyslexia and has a bad case of social anxiety. But obviously the statement was just a hot take. I don't recall batman being raped in BvS.

B) Yes he did but he sold WB a story arc over 5-6 movies. It's not his fault that Goyer was replaced with Teririo. There was a lot of changes made that were out of his control and he had to go with the flow. You even bring it up here my dude.

C) True but I mean come on, do you need to call the dude a hack when he is obviously true to himself? A hack is someone who will bend their beliefs and vision for personal gain. He obviously did his best to portray the vision sold to WB (as they wanted a Nolan vibe for supes) and even with losing Goyer, having BvS cut for time and then ultimately having Joss come on for JL (when he basically had the film shot), he still kept his mouth shut when he was degraded as some kind of monster. If anything, blame WB for giving him the properties to begin with but then even with Goyer as the writer for MoS, would it have been the same movie without Zack? You give pretty much all the credit to Goyer for MoS but it was a team effort between the two.

D) I'm just trying to understand your point of view. Do you want a nuanced Superman, a hopeful superman, a nuanced superman that becomes hopeful?

E) regarding watchmen, this is the first I've seen you complain about Snyder's take? He is allowed his on take on the story and yes, missed certain elements but it was a movie, not an HBO series. I mean dude, why have you become so jaded on the man? Not saying your opinion can't change but this drastically?

F) And what is wrong with that? I too stated that the doomsday fight was too much for a movie that should have focused on Bats and Supes but Supes has been heroic since MoS. If the narrative they were making in BvS made you mad at how society treated Superman, I say the movie did its job, and Superman still sacrificed himself to save the world from his - percieved - sin of killing Zod. Who cares if it took a few movies to get there? I thought we liked it when characters are put through trials and tribulations only to come out better than what they were ?‍♂️

Bonus: BvS supes was still the same Supes from MoS. The only difference was the narrative of the movie began to address this god-like figure and his place in society when MoS didn't really have the time to do that. Not a swipe at the MCU but it took them how many movies prior to Civil War to address this? The DCEU originally was not meant to have the long legs that Feige had planned for the MCU.

Edit: not to be a dick but I hate these types of debates with fellow superman fans, especially with someone who loves MoS as much as I do. If you respond I'll respectfully not respond back.You are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine.

WoahPerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So his mother is to blame.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A) The interview was done after Watchmen I believe and I've acknowledged he isn't the best at interviews. Apparently he suffers from dyslexia and has a bad case of social anxiety. But obviously the statement was just a hot take. I don't recall batman being raped in BvS.

B) Yes he did but he sold WB a story arc over 5-6 movies. It's not his fault that Goyer was replaced with Teririo. There was a lot of changes made that were out of his control and he had to go with the flow. You even bring it up here my dude.

C) True but I mean come on, do you need to call the dude a hack when he is obviously true to himself? A hack is someone who will bend their beliefs and vision for personal gain. He obviously did his best to portray the vision sold to WB (as they wanted a Nolan vibe for supes) and even with losing Goyer, having BvS cut for time and then ultimately having Joss come on for JL (when he basically had the film shot), he still kept his mouth shut when he was degraded as some kind of monster. If anything, blame WB for giving him the properties to begin with but then even with Goyer as the writer for MoS, would it have been the same movie without Zack? You give pretty much all the credit to Goyer for MoS but it was a team effort between the two.

D) I'm just trying to understand your point of view. Do you want a nuanced Superman, a hopeful superman, a nuanced superman that becomes hopeful?

E) regarding watchmen, this is the first I've seen you complain about Snyder's take? He is allowed his on take on the story and yes, missed certain elements but it was a movie, not an HBO series. I mean dude, why have you become so jaded on the man? Not saying your opinion can't change but this drastically?

F) And what is wrong with that? I too stated that the doomsday fight was too much for a movie that should have focused on Bats and Supes but Supes has been heroic since MoS. If the narrative they were making in BvS made you mad at how society treated Superman, I say the movie did its job, and Superman still sacrificed himself to save the world from his - percieved - sin of killing Zod. Who cares if it took a few movies to get there? I thought we liked it when characters are put through trials and tribulations only to come out better than what they were ?‍♂️

Bonus: BvS supes was still the same Supes from MoS. The only difference was the narrative of the movie began to address this god-like figure and his place in society when MoS didn't really have the time to do that. Not a swipe at the MCU but it took them how many movies prior to Civil War to address this? The DCEU originally was not meant to have the long legs that Feige had planned for the MCU.

A) Okay... so? Just cus he's dyslexic doesn't mean that his thoughts on Batman getting raped are okay.

B) Actually ,it is his fault by definition since it seems BvS was his pride and joy and entirely his (no Nolan or Goyer to hold his hand). MoS was in fact mainly Goyer and Nolan's baby. Credit where credit is due since I think the neck snap was an integral part of the movie. But the Snyder goes on to ignore it entirely in BvS.

C) He's a hack for his fundamental misunderstanding of the characters and Watchmen. He's a hack for using Moore as a shield, but as stated before didn't understand the material or care to do so. He's a hack cus he can't take criticism and has spent the last 2 years being surrounded only by his sycophants on some back water website where they can all praise him. He's a hack for not being the least bit self aware of his Edge Lord bullshit. As you'll see in this post I give him a lot of credit, and MoS was a three person job, since Nolan was also on board. WB also let James Wan, the Shazam Director and Martin (Joker) do what they wanted. If the Ultimate Cut of BvS was any good, then I would blame WB for it's interference. As it stands the UC is better in some instances, but worse in others so it's a wash, just as shitty as the theatrical cut.

D) Nuanced is the key word, and that sure as hell wasn't him in BvS. He was a miserable bastard who needed 4 pep talks (one from a ghost which made no sense). MoS Superman had more balls than him

E) My defense of the movie stands, and I'll even say he made he ending better than the comic (see, cus I'm a nuanced individual). That being said, I at the time didn't know his views on the comic were so wrong. He got all the wrong lessons out of it and uses it as some shield to defends his movie ,when Moore is against everything Zack stands for. I like Watchmen, I hate his views on it. The dude doesn't give a shit about the complexity of the comic, only the dark shit. Dude is bent.

F) The lack of nuanced and likable characters getting there? That's the problem. I'm all for long overarching stories, but I have to care about the characters. If it's about the journey, not the destination, I'd rather be left off at the next gas station.

Me on the left, Snyder's vision on the right
Me on the left, Snyder's vision on the right

But if your barometer was that because I hated worlds treatment of Superman as a measure of success, then I guess it did it's job... but in all the wrong ways. Public outrage is fine background noise, but the key factors in the movie were all just a series of murders that Lex did to get the ball rolling. You want a smart devious Luthor who comes at it from all angels and has a nuanced plan? Well screw that cus all he does is murder people, then force one character into the fight bye kidnapping his mom, and then when all else fails just wish for a monster.

Bonus: BvS Superman was a pale unlikable shell of what he was in MoS. Even after MoS, I thought SNyder would learn his lesson and try to make SUperman more likable, but he doubled down on everything people didn't like. I'm all for the god figure talk, but that's all Superman was to Snyder. He wasn't a person, but rather just a figure and a prop to be moved around and have as little interaction with other people as possible, other than him just bitching and moaning. When Batman has more banter than Superman, you have a problem.

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Snyder sounds like a frat bro when he tried to explain anything.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: I respect your opinion my dude but I think you see a villain in Snyder whereas I see a dude who was perpetually screwed over by the studio and unfairly taken to task by the media, especially given who they've protected in the past. On that note I hope we can we can agree to disagree and on the bright side, Snyder has become an outspoken advocate for suicide prevention. If anything good comes from his celebrity and 'sycophants' like myself ?, we are at least pushing a noble cause while we bitch and moan ?.

No Caption Provided