Off My Mind: Relatives of Super-villains

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Just about every family has a bad sheep in it. But imagine if one of your family members was a super-villain. This is something that was sort of mentioned in Batman and Robin #21. The idea of famous villains actually having normal relatives got me thinking. We've seen some villains having family members like Green Goblin, Spencer Smythe, Magneto, Calculator and Deathstroke, but what about the other villains? 

Imagine what their family reunions must be like.
 Imagine what their family reunions must be like.
For some relatives of supervillains, they almost have no choice but to go into the family business. They might be forced into it, may want to impress their evil parents or they just give into their crazy genetics and follow in the evil footsteps. With the few villains that have been shown to have relatives, there are so many that other villains who don't have any relations. Or at least ones that we've seen.  

They say that blood is thicker than water, but what happens when that blood is filled with toxic venom? What choices do the family members of supervillains have? 
 == TEASER == 
If a family finds out one of their own has turned insane and evil, they need to make a plan right away. Eventually that villain will get caught. When that happens, chances are their identity will be revealed. You can imagine the harassment and threats they would get as soon as the public found out a relative of theirs was a major villain. The easiest thing to do would be to change your name. 
No Caption Provided
Have you ever seen other characters with the last name Zsasz, Von Doom or Gargan? Did these villains become orphans before turning to a life of crime or did their relatives write them off as soon they became villains?

Another option would be to try to get into the witness protection program. If their relative is truly evil, they could tell the authorities what their favorite breakfast cereal was or favorite place to hang out in exchange for getting a new identity free from an associations with a crazed lunatic. This means completely writing off the evil relative. If they were truly sick or evil, they wouldn't take too kindly to being turned on like that.

No Caption Provided
When the kids in Runaways found out their parents were evil...well, more evil than normal parents, they decided to...runaway. They went against what their parents stood for and could actually be considered heroes (if their book were still being published). 

Having a family member become a super-villain would pretty much suck. Forget about trying to get a job when you share the same last name as the Kingpin. What bank would give you a loan if they knew you were related to Doctor Octopus? Do you think you could join the P.T.A. if your cousin was Poison Ivy.  

The next time you have a complaint about a family member, just be happy that none of them are super-villains (that you know of).  

What would you if you found out a family member was a super-villain? Would you turn them in, run & hide or join them in trying to take over the world?
TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By TDK_1997

This is a good article.For example-Joker has a kid from Harley.It will be cool.

Avatar image for superboyrocks13
superboyrocks13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By superboyrocks13

super villans crazy anof family reunions woud be insane instead of yell at my uncles to stop fighting u would be yelling put the damn gun down lol
NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By NightFang3

Good article, man.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a98cd905fc97
deactivated-5a98cd905fc97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This makes me wonder if somewhere there's a person who knew the Joker in his previous life, and recognizes him now, but is too afraid to say anything.  Then again, perhaps the Joker has already killed his relatives and former friends.

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By craigbo180

Hi there I'd like you to meet my cousin... M.O.D.O.K

Icemizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Icemizer

A real villian kills off any and all family members so its not a concern what they think. Those that let their families live are weak and should get no respect.
Thunder_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By Thunder_X

Yup, I've heard of a person with the Von Doom Name Dr. Bob Doom, distant relative of the Von Doom family :D

perry_411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By perry_411

U knoes, Spoiler didn't seem to have a problem keeping herself out of trouble.

RYU/BATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By RYU/BATMAN

I bet their family reunions are horrible. Probably end up beating one another up or something of that manner. 

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Eyz

Being Lex Luthor's long distant cousin would be pretty awesome :P

But Killer Croc's nephew? Killer!

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Billy Batson
@Eyz said:
" Being Lex Luthor's long distant cousin would be pretty awesome :P  But Killer Croc's nephew? Killer! "
that was a bad pun
StarKiller809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By StarKiller809

I wouldn't mind being Luthors family because he might give me money or something, but if he goes crazy he might explode and kill me or something.
Sydpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sydpart2

Good thing the Joker's parents don't have too worry about that:

http://rancidrainbow.com/thesite/wp-content/gallery/brave-and-bold-31/brave-and-the-bold-31-013.jpg

http://rancidrainbow.com/thesite/wp-content/gallery/brave-and-bold-31/brave-and-the-bold-31-014.jpg
Avatar image for black_lantern_bison22
Black_Lantern_Bison22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did anyone else read the last Doom Patrol. Some kid inherited a fortune in cash, 4 women and a plasma-gun from his supervillain grandpa. The thing was, they though the old man was just a door to door salesman. He kept it hidden till after he had died, and then passed it on in his video-will. Thats the way to do it.
GraveSp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#15  Edited By GraveSp
@Black_Lantern_Bison22: I really liked that issue.  That is totally what I would do if I inherited money and plasma rifles.
A_O_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16  Edited By A_O_N

Do villains like a certain breakfast cereal? xD

Red Rum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Red Rum

Lex Luthor's sister Lena changed her last name to Thorul when she realized her brother is a criminal.

That piece of comic lore seemed to be missing from the discussion, so far.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By longbowhunter

A relative changing their name would have to be the most common reaction. Look here in the real world. I bet plenty of people have had to change their last names from Dhamer and Manson to Smith and Jones. 
AFArtist1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AFArtist1973

Sound article and reasoning.  I think that many of those super-villains have relatives chagne their names.  It only makes sense.  Then there is the converse of it, they embrace their relatives and try to redeem the family name, like Scarlet Witch or Quicksilver.  It's a very interesting plot point and story to talk about more.  Two Thumbs up on this one, G-Man!!  --Jim

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Nova`Prime`

I think it depends on the relative, maybe they are proud of their name and they are determined not to let one bad apple spoil it for everyone. I mean look at some of Hitler's distant relatives, they refused to change their name because of him and kept it in spite of him.

Hadez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By Hadez

I may sound crazy but I'd love to meet my crazy super villain cousins.....Why not maybe they could get you in the business

Out_of_Space

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22  Edited By Out_of_Space

Good article. I never think of it in that way.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By JonesDeini

I suppose it works like real life. Some people would cut them off and ignore them. Some would change their names. I actually have family members that are in prison. Mostly for drug dealing. But I have one cousin who kidnapped his girlfriend and raped, beat, and tortured her for a few days. At the end of the day what he did sickens me, but he's still family. 

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24  Edited By leokearon

Have you ever seen other characters with the last name Zsasz, Von Doom or Gargan? Did these villains become orphans before turning to a life of crime or did their relatives write them off as soon they became villains?

Doom is an orphan 

Stil nice article
midnightmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By midnightmare

In Thunderbolts is shown how Atlas carrer as Power-man made his family parias at their town, and let to loss of their farm.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Eyz
@Billy Batson said:
" @Eyz said:
" Being Lex Luthor's long distant cousin would be pretty awesome :P  But Killer Croc's nephew? Killer! "
that was a bad pun "
Or a killer one!

Oh, c'me on! People nowadays do really hate puns :/
No joy anymore...
Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Billy Batson
@Eyz said:
" @Billy Batson said:
" @Eyz said:
that was a bad pun "
Or a killer one!  Oh, c'me on! People nowadays do really hate puns :/ No joy anymore... "
:O it is getting worse
Croaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Croaker
@Xenozoic Shaman said:
" This makes me wonder if somewhere there's a person who knew the Joker in his previous life, and recognizes him now, but is too afraid to say anything.  Then again, perhaps the Joker has already killed his relatives and former friends. "
I've been wondering about that. There is that one story (probably non-canon) with the Joker's cousin.
FireFlare153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FireFlare153

If I found out one of my relatives was evil, I would totally distance myself as far as possible.
Darknight87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Darknight87

Depends if it was a rich villain than maybe I'd help.as long as he has good intentions. 

jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By jordama

Somewhat related, but the family members of Hitler actually made apack to never have kids to make sure that his blood line would sop. Depending on how bad the super-villian, maybe the family would have to consider this as an option.  

AsMadAsAHatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AsMadAsAHatter
@Sydpart2:
Hey thanks for putting up those links! they were really interesting!
Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

I think there was an issue of Legends of the dark knight that had the cousin of the Joker

sgoodwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By sgoodwi

i love this concept....relatives of super villians................................flash's cousin going home and there sits a super villian's cousin .........let's talk  and trade secrets or ideas.................. maybe not i will have to think about it at work more.....need more time

Avatar image for jorgebeatsemile
jorgebeatsemile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By jorgebeatsemile

I would not mind if I was Megamind's brother, oh wait, he's a hero now... darn.

Avatar image for amp___seeker_of_lost_knowledge
AMP - Seeker of Lost Knowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 14

Finally, A topic I can seek my teeth into and call it my favorite... Evil does need a legacy...but not all children do NOT follow their parent's foot-steps... 
Best teams that fit this article: The Terror Titans, The Bastards of Evil, The Sons of Trigon, ....
I even have a list of characters who would become New Terror Titans, and I re-call a list of Superhero Daycare by CV User Ryonslaught.

busterblader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By busterblader

There was a Gotham City sirens issue a while back that had Harley Quinn visiting her family including a nephew who asked if she had killed batman yet.  I thought it was amusing that this kid was rooting for his family member despite her being teamed with a killer like the Joker and how the kid would take it if he knew she was kind of a good guy now or if he knew about her adventures in countdown to final crisis, "did you kill batman yet" ,"no, auntie was busy with her roommate and a bunch of stranger defeating one of the greatest evils the universe has ever known, while I was blessed with the powers of a god"

Darren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Darren

I guess it would feel the same as it does to Hitler's cousins or any other real life psycho's family.

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39  Edited By leokearon

Also the whole idea of Super Villians and their relatives reminds me of the Thumbler. He had put out a Life Assurance policy on himself, but his brother couldn't collect it since since the thumbler was a crook and die doing illegal activites (it was a giant scam by the insurance company). Still his brother couldn't get the money and couldn't get a new job since everyone knew he was related to a villian which eventually led to his mum's death
JimmyKudo09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JimmyKudo09

Seth Green as Dr. Evil's Son
 Seth Green as Dr. Evil's Son
DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#41  Edited By DMC

It would be interesting/funny to see a family of a major villain use their relatives bad name in order to get ahead. 

"I rented the deluxe hotel suite!" Don't make me get my brother Lex Luthor down here!"

mysticflame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mysticflame

This made me think of Cobalt Blue and Barry Allen 

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

It's funny that G Man brought this up,currently in Batman&Robin some light guy is killing all of the relatives of Arkham Inmates!!

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44  Edited By HexThis

I immediately thought of Vanessa Fisk. Something must've been wrong with her for marrying that fat slob but in her defense she didn't know he was up to no good. I suppose what was saddest is that she ended up being a pawn of Fisk's enemies most of the time which nearly did her in numerous times. Then she ended up killing her own son for trying to kill his father, her husband and ended up dying herself not long after. 

It's not unlike Magda, Magneto's wife, who was so in love with Magneto back when he was simply Magnus then their daughter died and he slaughtered several villagers. She ran away with Pietro & Wanda (pregnant) and ended up delivering them before they were put in suspended animation by the High Evolutionary. Still, she was so traumatized she ended up wandering off and letting herself die....

This article reminds me of Hitler's relatives and how they live in America, as matter in fact, one of them had the middle name Adolf I believe. They ended up changing their names and coming up with a pact to never reproduce so as to kill the bloodline completely, they've never even been interviewed or heavily researched because they just want to be forgotten....

MikeDanger1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MikeDanger1

what about being a neighbor of the Banners? D: (Hulk)

Avatar image for marvelunivers_deleteme
marvelunivers_deleteme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bet Harry Osborn wishes he could distance himself from Norman Osborn

Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Paracelsus

I don't know-much like those related to Mafia bosses or terrorists(pace the Bin Laden clan), they probably try to keep as low a public profile and distance themselves from their infamous kinsman- God knows I would! Svetlana Alliluyeva( Stalin's daughter) prefers to use her mother's maiden name rather than her father's (presumably to distinguish herself from  Daddy not so Dearest) but the descendants of  Anthony "Joe Batters" Accardo and Sam "Mooney" Giancana, Chicago's Mafia dons, still use their family name( admittedly they are all law abiding but the odium associated with their ancestral name still sticks long after their death- case in point Katrin Himmler and Reinhard Heydrich, grandniece and great-grandson of the Nazi functionaries of the same name).

Terry

PS Although I am no blood relation of Denzel(any more than Michael Barrymore is of Drew), I have always maintained a pride and affection in him even though we're no more than black men with the same last name)

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By COBRAMORPH

While it may be anti-climatic, I'd have the villians always escape & never be caught. It would solve that problem about why Batman hasnt killed Joker by now. Or at least, why the government hasnt. Also, you keep most of the villian idenites secret.

However, I assume its the same as our real life criminals. Manson has a son.