No spoilers, what did the Batman v. Superman reviews say?

saint_samantha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm tempted to read the reviews but I've had bad experiences in regards to spoilers and reviews. So to the people who read the reviews, no spoilers please, what positives and negatives did you take away from the reviews?

Thanks.

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

4 Major "Complaints":

(1) Takes itself too seriously

(2) Not enough humor

(3) Too much CGI/Action

(4) Weak plot with some pacing issues

saint_samantha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slayz: the first two are asinine. Especially considering The Empire Strikes Back is praised for being the dark, middle film, as was The Dark Knight.

As for the 4th, aren't people ALSO complaining it focuses too much on philosophy?

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Weak plot, but people complain it focuses too much on philosophy and is too serious? Those two things don't even go together.

saint_samantha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petey_is_spidey: people also complained that MoS focuses too much on action. Zack does the exact opposite and he is panned by critics for it.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everybody on reddit loves it. Critics...not so much. However, one of the the consistent negatives is directed at the plot. Both people who really liked or really hated it agree that the plot either could have been stronger or less "complicated. In terms of plot alone, think of it almost as a Spider-Man 3/TASM 2, where the movie just took on more than it could handle but not as poorly. The acting, wow-moments, feels, soundtrack, fight scenes, and dialogue are all generally well received....for the people who liked the movie.....for those counter, they're dislikes stem from too much action/too little, too serious/philosophical, or too dark.

AkshSarpanch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: plot was written by an Oscar winner. If its complicated, i will dig it.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can get the plot related critiques, you can tell by the trailer that that may be an issue, but the whole "too dark/too serious" and "not enough humor" just always frustrates me.

saint_samantha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: the reviews to me sound like a paradox. There's too much action yet to little? What?

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By micah007123

I can get the plot related critiques, you can tell by the trailer that that may be an issue, but the whole "too dark/too serious" and "not enough humor" just always frustrates me.

Then when you turn around and look at a Marvel movie it's always "too funny" and "not dark enough". That's just so funny how no one can make a film that seems to meet in the middle.

kevinwalsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I picked some good bits from a review I enjoyed:

"It’s almost crazy how flimsy and poorly constructed the first hour of the film is. Snyder and his editors seem to have inserted scenes haphazardly; while most take place in what seem to be chronological order there is no flow from one scene to another. The movie hops around from Batman to Superman to Lex Luthor to Lois Lane willy nilly, with no regard for the pacing or with building any kind of momentum.

Here’s a specific example: we cut to a scene of Perry White in the Daily Planet offices, and he’s looking for Clark Kent. “Where does Kent disappear to?” White asks. “Does he click his heels three times and show up back home in Kansas?”

You can probably guess what the next cut will show us - Clark (or Superman) in Kansas. But not in BvS. Not in a movie that seems to aspire to anti-cinema. That scene is immediately followed by Lois meeting a secret source. I think the next scene after that is about Lex and then there’s one about Batman and then we come back to Superman. This lack of a structure makes the entire first half of the film feel like a bloated montage; everything is disjointed, nothing is clearly connected to anything else."

"The one bright spot in the film is Batman.....His relationship with Jeremy Irons’ Alfred is delightful......I hope that whatever damage this film does to the DC Movieverse we still get a Ben Affleck Batman film, and I hope Irons has an ironclad contract to come back."

"Gal Gadot is fine as Wonder Woman, playing a character without any depth. She seems cool in battle? That’s about the big takeaway from this character in this movie. I look forward to seeing what Gadot can do in a film that perhaps has a script featuring humans in it."

"Everybody in this movie is running around talking about what Superman means or what they’re going to do to Superman, but Superman himself has no goals, has no desires, has no role in the story except to stir everybody else up."

"Eisenberg is next-level terrible as Luthor. He’s a twitchy lunatic pretty much from the start, and if there are any events in the story that lead to him escalating his plot to the point of creating an unstoppable monster I missed them......while I don’t understand why Lex Luthor wants to unleash an unstoppable monster on the world, I do fully understand why Batman wants to hit him."

"Instead of walking back Man of Steel’s wishy-washiness about heroism, BvSdoubles down on it."

"His Superman is an asshole, a pompous and condescending jerk who makes threats. Even the scene where Superman might have a chance to deliver a heartfelt explanation of himself in front of a Senate committee hearing is cut short"

Sounds like a messy movie with hopes for a good Bat film in the future.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevinwalsh: woo hoo more Batmam movies!

*slits wrists down, not across*

saint_samantha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevinwalsh: I appreciate it, but I skipped through a lot of what you posted. It was too spoiler-y for my liking.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah007123: I don't see how "too light hearted" or "too dark" can even be a criticism of a movie's tone. There isn't some point where a movie starts becoming bad because it's light hearted or dark. If anything it would be jokes falling flat (like people complain about the Thor Films) or a serious movie having an inconsistent tone (as many complained about with MoS). But some reviewers apparentently watch Marvel movies wanting a DC film and vice versa, then decide just complain about them not being the same.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slayz said:

4 Major "Complaints":

(1) Takes itself too seriously

(2) Not enough humor

(3) Too much CGI/Action

(4) Weak plot with some pacing issues

So its a typical Snyder movie?

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah007123: I don't see how "too light hearted" or "too dark" can even be a criticism of a movie's tone. There isn't some point where a movie starts becoming bad because it's light hearted or dark. If anything it would be jokes falling flat (like people complain about the Thor Films) or a serious movie having an inconsistent tone (as many complained about with MoS). But some reviewers apparentently watch Marvel movies wanting a DC film and vice versa, then decide just complain about them not being the same.

I agree.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the best review against BvS that I read (beware that there are some spoilers in here): http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/03/22/batman-v-superman-review-zack-snyders-doomsday

Avatar image for deactivated-5967bf6197d40
deactivated-5967bf6197d40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- Drab

- Dull

- Bad plot

- CGI nonsense that doesn't mean anything

- Superman is flat and barely a character

- Batman comes off as a jealous brat, though Affleck does a good job depending on who you ask

- Lois is there to be rescued

- Wonder Woman's cool but feels shoehorned in

- Doomsday's effects are awful

- Terrible pacing

- Luthor is just crazy instead of cunning

- Oscar talent wasted

- Third act kills the film

- Alfred is awesome

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're only complaining about the fact that it's filled with plot holes, everything else except maybe Cavill and Eisenberg is fine. Same thing happened to Thor and Thor 2, you guys feel like as though the world is against Snyder and when he gets fair criticism, you go insane. So done.

saint_samantha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nicksmi56: thanks for sharing. It doesn't sound good. Hopefully isn't as messy as it sounds.

wrucebayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nicksmi56: That sums up the reviews I read really well.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@kevinwalsh: woo hoo more Batmam movies!

*slits wrists down, not across*

We'd be lucky to even have Batman movies now.