Netflix: Avatar - The Last Airbender - Live Action Discussion Thread - Out Now!

• 157 results
Tektonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Tektonic

Promo Images:

Aang
Aang
Katara
Katara

Teaser Trailer:

Synopsis:

The series is set in an Asiatic, war-torn world where certain people can "bend" one of the four classical elements—water, earth, fire, or air. Aang, the "Avatar" and the last living Airbender, is the "bridge" between the mortal and spirit world, and the only one capable of bending all four of the elements. The Avatar maintains the balance of the world and nature to bring peace, and Aang is now faced with the responsibility of ending the ambitions of the militaristic Fire Nation to conquer the world. With his new companions Katara and Sokka, Aang sets out to master the four classical elements, while pursued by the exiled Fire Nation crown prince Zuko, who seeks to regain his honor by capturing him(Wiki).

Episode Count: Season 1 will be 8 episodes.

Budget: Estimated 120 Million+, 15 Million per episode.

Live Action - Cast

Main:

• Gordon Cormier as Aang
  • Kiawentiio Tarbell as Katara
  • Ian Ousley as Sokka
  • Dallas James Liu as Zuko

Supporting:

• Daniel Dae Kim as Fire Lord Ozai
  • Paul Sun-Hyung Lee as Uncle Iroh
  • Ken Leung as Admiral Zhao
  • Lim Kay Siu as Gyatso
  • Maria Zhang as Suki
  • Elizabeth Yu as Azula
  • Yvonne Chapman as Avatar Kyoshi
  • Casey Camp-Horinek as Gran Gran
  • Arden Cho as June
  • Momona Tamada as Ty Lee
  • Thalia Tran as Mai
  • Utkarsh Ambudkar as King Bumi
  • Amber Midthunder as Princess Yue
  • Danny Pudi as The Mechanist
  • James Sie as The Cabbage Merchant

Recurring:

• Lucian-River Chauhan as Teo
  • Ruy Iskandar as Lt. Jee
  • Hiro Kanagawa as Fire Lord Sozin
  • C.S. Lee as Avatar Roku
  • François Chau as The Great Sage
  • Ryan Mah as Lt. Dang
  • Randall Duk Kim as Wong Shi Tong
  • George Takei as Koh, The Face Stealer

Additional Notes:

TBA

KillianDuclark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By KillianDuclark

What a nothing burger of a first look 😒

Tektonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also:

Sokka
Sokka
Zuko
Zuko

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 anthp2000  Moderator

@tektonic: Don't tag me for anything involving the live action series please. Thanks!

KillianDuclark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By KillianDuclark

Meh... Of the four, Sokka looks the best. But I need to see them all in motion before making any judgement. Because right now it's just giving me decent cosplay vibes.

Also, the look of bending and the creatures like Momo will make or break this show

Stratospher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When will Hollywood abandon the goddamn ring armor and helmets worn on bare heads. It's stupid.

kataraaaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Sokka and Katara look a little… light…. (don’t cancel me pls)

Tektonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's blatant colorism, no shame in saying it out loud.

It's why the Aladdin live action actors were also casted with lighter toned actors. We shouldn't be canceled for calling out an issue that impacts darker skinned people around the world on a socio-economic level.

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aang's actor is of Filipino descent, and Katara's actress is Native American.

Aang was quite pale, and although Katara had a darker skin tone, it isn't so far off from the LA actress.

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they look great, but I'm remaining cautious until we see some actual footage.

kataraaaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geekryan: That pic of the actress looks better, maybe it’s the lighting in the OP. Aang looks pretty spot on too. I think it’s more that Katara looks too light compared to Aang than her actual tone.

chloros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aang's outfit looks nice, but Zuko's looks plastic-y. Maybe it's just the photo.

kataraaaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tektonic: Yeah, I’d personally cast them to be darker but it’s whatever to me. I doubt I’ll watch it anyways. I don’t watch live action adaptations of animated series or films that I enjoy. Dragon Ball and Disney pretty much killed all my hope in that regard.

Tektonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geekryan: That pic of the actress looks better, maybe it’s the lighting in the OP. Aang looks pretty spot on too. I think it’s more that Katara looks too light compared to Aang than her actual tone.

If you look at her instagram pics, she's clearly a fair skinned actress. She has multiple with the entire main cast, and they all have very similar skin tones. Which should not be the case.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No diversity. Pass.

kataraaaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kataraaaa

@tektonic: Kek the difference lighting can make.. yeah I just looked at a picture with all 4 of them on display, Katara and Sokka are too light imo, compared to Aang and Zuko especially. The show at the very least made a darker skin tone very apparent with the water tribe compared to the other nations. So this show not having that will be pretty hard to get used to. Especially when the fire nation (Azula) constantly looked down on the water tribe as inferior.

But like I said it’s whatever, doubt I’ll watch. Especially after I heard the LA ATLA movie was quite literally the worst movie ever made. The outfits look a bit too halloween esque for me to take seriously but those are also clearly the first episode outfits.

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tektonic said:
@kataraaaa said:

If you look at her instagram pics, she's clearly a fair skinned actress. She has multiple with the entire main cast, and they all have very similar skin tones. Which should not be the case.

I guess yeah.

There's always going to be reasons for people to complain. By no means is this a White cast. I don't think a single one of them is Caucasian. But even with such a diverse cast of ethnic minorities, whitewashing is still an apparent issue.

Can't please everyone ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And I'm not directing this at you btw!

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geekryan said:

I guess yeah.

There's always going to be reasons for people to complain. By no means is this a White cast. I don't think a single one of them is Caucasian. But even with such a diverse cast of ethnic minorities, whitewashing is still an apparent issue.

Minorities?? Bruh, the majority of the cast is Asian. There is like a billion of those people.

kataraaaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kataraaaa

In fairness to the casting choices, ATLA as lore focused on a lot of eastern asian culture, trying to find people with appropriate skin tones of a mid-2000s show with such specific cultural requirements would be hard. It’s not as easy as traditional animes which is typically only Japanese based. If the Water Tribe wasn’t so different compared to the other 3, it wouldn’t be as pressing of a deal.

On a positive note, Aang and Zuko look pretty great in this manner.

Tektonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geekryan said:

I guess yeah.

No I hear you. I'm still going to watch the product since it benefits the Avatar brand to be a success, but it will have to work for it.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I normally don't put a whole lot of weight into promo pics...but my gosh, that looks like cosplay.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mrmonster

Aang's tattoo alone is just so poorly done.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zuko looks very cosplay-y

Avatar image for chris2kzombieki
chris2kzombieki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aangs eyebrows hahah

Dude unironically looks like my cousin.

Also yeah Sokka looks the best. Zuko looks…fine.

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geekryan said:

I guess yeah.

Minorities?? Bruh, the majority of the cast is Asian. There is like a billion of those people.

In today's society, Asians are still considered a visual and ethnic minority, unless you are in Asia.

Stratospher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a weird time to live in, when skin tones of fictional characters in a fantasy world tv adaptation are such a serious concern for so many people...

viking1205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 viking1205  Online

I expected better and more, but we can wait I guess.

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

What a weird time to live in, when skin tones of fictional characters in a fantasy world tv adaptation are such a serious concern for so many people...

Of course, they'd be a comment like this LMAO. That didn't take long.

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As for what we got so far... ehhh. Like I don't know. I have a feeling this will be the live-action film all over again.

Stratospher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stratospher said:

Don't even start. I get the representation of appropriate ethnicities (and not whatever Shyamalan was going for), and oversimplifying Firenation to Japan, Water Tribes to native americans and so on. But complaining about skin tones and people being "not pale/dark enough" is borderline absurd.

nassergrant19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By nassergrant19

LMAO this can‘t be real…

Yikes….

Tektonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@straight-fire said:
@stratospher said:

Don't even start. I get the representation of appropriate ethnicities (and not whatever Shyamalan was going for), and oversimplifying Firenation to Japan, Water Tribes to native americans and so on. But complaining about skin tones and people being "not pale/dark enough" is borderline absurd.

What's absurd about pointing out whitewashing in the industry? And who said it was a serious concern?

Stratospher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tektonic: How whitewashing is supposed to work without white people is puzzling for me, not to mention it insults the actors. And it seems to me to be a serious concern for quite a number of people because it's not at all the first time i see someone complaining about it.

Tektonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Tektonic
@stratospher said:

@tektonic: How whitewashing is supposed to work without white people is puzzling for me,

to alter...in a way that favors, features, or caters to white people:

You don't need a white actor present. She favors eurocentric beauty ideals since her skin is more fairer. Therefore would be more appealing to swaths of white audiences compared to a darker skin counterpart.

not to mention it insults the actors.

It's an insult to point out her skin pigmentation isn't the same as the cartoon character she was casted to play? What does that indicate? That's not a put down, that acknowledges that she benefits from colorism(rampant in every cinematic/television industry), as does any fair skinned person on the planet.

And it seems to me to be a serious concern for quite a number of people because it's not at all the first time i see someone complaining about it.

I don't care about any of these people, were you referring to me?

Stratospher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tektonic:

You don't need a white actor present. She favors eurocentric beauty ideals since her skin is more fairer. Therefore would be more appealing to swaths of white audiences compared to a darker skin counterpart

Somehow skincolor is one of the last things that come to mind when i think about what makes people appealing or attractive.

It's an insult to point out her skin pigmentation isn't the same as the cartoon character she was casted to play?

It's an insult to insinuate that she is not a good fit for the role because of her skin color. Katara's skin color is not a part of her personality and isn't what made her such a beloved character. Make the actress white, black or indian for all i care, as long as she portrays the character well she's a good fit.

I don't care about any of these people, were you referring to me?

I wasn't even talking to you. You asked a question, i answered. Whether you care about the answer or not is not my headache.

Tektonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Tektonic
@stratospher said:

@tektonic:

Somehow skincolor is one of the last things that come to mind when i think about what makes people appealing or attractive.

Well no one here was talking about whether this actress was attractive to begin with. It's what her skin color represents, and the precedent it sets for other up and coming brown skinned actors.

It's an insult to insinuate that she is not a good fit for the role because of her skin color. Katara's skin color is not a part of her personality and isn't what made her such a beloved character. Make the actress white, black or indian for all i care, as long as she portrays the character well she's a good fit.

None of this addresses the nuances of colorism. If you want to argue meritocracy, we don't actually know what factors that got her casted. Hollywood has an ongoing historical precedent of preferring lighter skinned or biracial actors in place of darker and/or monoracial actors. Talent along with marketability are among many factors. So yes her being chosen as the best fit isn't even a sure thing at all.

I wasn't even talking to you. You asked a question, i answered. Whether you care about the answer or not is not my headache.

I never said you were talking to me directly, your original comment was about skin tones being a serious concern for people, and I inquired where you got that from, if not prompted by this thread. So yes I'll reserve my care for the answer I'm actually requiring.

nassergrant19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tektonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nassergrant19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stratospher: Who here is complaining though? I see nothing wrong with having this discussion.

Avatar image for sixpathsofcapra
SixPathsOfCapra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SixPathsOfCapra

Gonna be worse than one piece..looks so unserious

AshConwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The actor for Sokka is white and apparently lied about being Native to get the role.

And yeah, it sucks they didn't pick darker actors to play Katara and Sokka but tbh, it is very hard to find dark skin Native American actors that look like the characters, let alone dark skin Inuit actors.

Gamma_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Gamma_Rage

I can't believe there are nerds overanalyzing the exact shade of a skin color of an actress, you want actors who are the exact ethnic background of a cartoon character? meaning is not gonna be 100% accurate given the format it cames from, good luck with that.

If you wanted to be 99% accurate they would have casted an inuit actress, from where katara tribe is based off, but there are not many, so stop with the racism

Bet you dweebs didnt know og Katara has blue eyes and the LA doesnt, does that bother you too? no i bet not

There is no problem here

No Caption Provided

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tf is up with these alts coming on threads talking shit?

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

LMFAO Enzvi you ain't slick. If you wanna be friends then say so. After all, I'm a people person. Going around quoting my comments and then deleting it is getting old.