Neo Pulp Noir Comic Suggestions?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Ok so I like to think of my self as a pretty big noir fan in all of it's forms so it's pretty likely I'v already read or currently reading any of the books that would catch my interest but hay ho you some times miss some, right? So what I'm asking is, do you know of any good neo pulp noir comics? To clarify, Noir is a type of crime/detective fiction that usually takes place in the 40s/50s that star down and out ex-con's, gruff private eyes and deadly femme fatales. A good quote that sums up Noir is "I killed him for money, and for a woman, I didn't get the money and I didn't get the woman" (Ten internet cookies to whoever get's the quote)

Pulp Noir however is the combination of the hard boiled crime of noir and the more comicbook sci fi of pulp fiction, basically a caped vigilante in a noir setting, good examples of this are The Shadow, Black Bat, Black Beetle, Green Hornet, The Sandman ect. Now what I am looking for is Neo Pulp Noir, basically Pulp Noir in a modern day setting, I'v pretty much read all of Batman's noir like story's (Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Hush, Gates of Gotham) and I have read all of Daredevil from Miller to Diggle. I'v read most of The Punisher and I know Moon Knight flirted around the Pulp Noir genre but never quite got there especially after Bendis took over. So any recommendations?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any advice would be good

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

#4  Edited By akbogert

I'm primarily commenting here so that this thread will appear in my watched topics section and I can check back in to see what others say...

Heh.

That said, I associate Brubaker with a noir feel. I don't know if he's done any neo-noir however.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@akbogert: Brubakers run on Captain America/Winter Soldier was mostly espionage but it played on similar tropes also he had Gotham Central but was more Crime Noir. He also did Point Blank and Sleeper for Wild Storm

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akbogert said:

@jonny_anonymous: Have you read Fatale?

I have but it's Occult Noir. No guys in capes solving crimes in slums also it's mostly set in the past.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Right, no, I just didn't really think Winter Solider counted as neo-noir so since you were listing (to me) non-neo Brubaker stuff and omitted Fatale, I just wanted to make sure :P

Anyhow, at some point I ran across some comic called Mask of the Red Panda, which is evidently a much bigger character with a long history of radio dramas (in Canada?) and there's a three-issue mini with him. It's somewhat campy in a self-aware way, and not terribly substantial. But I just remembered it so I figured I'd mention it. Otherwise, like I said, I'm wondering what others suggest myself.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akbogert: Yea I checked it out and it seems Red Panda is set in depression era Toronto. Kinda reminds me of of Darwyn Cook's The Spirit

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Billy Batson

Catwoman?
Grendel?
BB

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@billy_batson: I'v never read much of Catwoman outside Batman books, not sure she interests me as much solo but it is Brubaker soooo.....

Grendel as in Wagner's Grendel?

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billy_batson: Is Grendel good? I actually got a few TPB's for my birthday a few years back but never got in to it

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous:

They've just released two omnibuses with two more coming up. It's on my to read list but I've heard great things.

BB

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@billy_batson: Hmm I might have to dig them back out and give them a read

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous:

All of the stories aren't in present time, though. Some of them happen in the past and in the future.

BB

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Billy Batson
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billy_batson: I could but I don't remember what there called or what issues they collect lol

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Billy Batson
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous:

Then pull them out and see for yourself :p

BB

I can't there at my mums house, I moved house a few months ago an there sill a bunch of stuff I left behind

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: Yea Venom maybe dark but it's not Noir, not really what I'm looking for.

"OH I KNOW! how about Mark waids Daredevil :P"

No Caption Provided

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the back of the last issue of Fatale I read, there was a promo for a whole bunch of other books by Brubaker and Phillips (Criminal, Incognito, etc.). Maybe they're less occult? Just thought I'd mention them.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Billy Batson

@akbogert said:

In the back of the last issue of Fatale I read, there was a promo for a whole bunch of other books by Brubaker and Phillips (Criminal, Incognito, etc.). Maybe they're less occult? Just thought I'd mention them.

Criminal is a regular crime series while Incognito is somewhat closer to what Jonny is looking for but I remember him reading it.

BB

Med

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think the new miss fury may intrigue you. it's only one issue in so you can jump right in.