#1 Posted by Raw_Material (3553 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey wat's up Viners,

I've been apart of Comic Vine since the revamp of this new site and feel like this is my second home for comic related topics. I love this site and the people that are involved with Comic Vine. I always used to help others out with whatever they needed help with, but now I NEED YOUR HELP! I've been out of the comic world for almost a year now cause I had to save up money and start my life now that I'm getting older. I'm looking to getting back into reading comics as I have more than 3 full long boxes filled with DC, MARVEL, and other titles and looking to extend on my collection. The comic titles that I used to read a lot of were GREEN LANTERN, AQUAMAN, all the JUSTICE LEAGUE TITLES (JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA, etc.), HULK, DEADPOOL, AVENGERS, TMNT, and other titles relating to the characters. I also read anything Geoff Johns writes. Please let me know where I should start!!! Also list the other titles that are MUST READS that I should pick up on. ANY SUGGESTIONS WILL HELP!

Thanks again!

#2 Posted by Raw_Material (3553 posts) - - Show Bio

Help a brotha out!!!

#3 Posted by SpareHeadOne (6521 posts) - - Show Bio

Read what you love.

#4 Edited by Flumox56 (2301 posts) - - Show Bio

@spareheadone said:

Read what you love.

Exactly, But also I will suggest to you what I am Always suggesting to my girlfriend, Experiment a little, you never know you might like it.

Just to be clear, I am suggesting (Well to you at least) try other Comics from time to time too that you think might be of interest to ya.

#5 Edited by Raw_Material (3553 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by Raw_Material (3553 posts) - - Show Bio

What are some of the titles I should pick up on an where should I start? What series is the talk of the vine??

Just came back from Amazing Comic Con here in Hawaii! One of the coolest experiences getting to meet Kevin Eastman (TMNT), Rob Liefield (Deadpool), Peter Nguyen, George Perez, and even the man of the night, Stan Lee!!!

#8 Posted by sinestro_GL (3651 posts) - - Show Bio

GL post Geoff Johns hasn't been that great.

#9 Posted by Flumox56 (2301 posts) - - Show Bio

The current Ms' Marvel and Thor series are excellent (IMO), And I have heard that Miracleman is very good,Though I have not read any Miracleman myself yet.

#10 Posted by SpareHeadOne (6521 posts) - - Show Bio

Im enjoying anything by Matt Fraction. (The Mighty Thor and Hawkeye)

#11 Posted by Raw_Material (3553 posts) - - Show Bio

@sinestro_gl:Yeah I agree, I dropped the title after Geoff Johns left. But still have some GL love in me though. More just Hal Jordan and his history TBH.

@spareheadone: @flumox56: Thanks!!!

#12 Posted by sinestro_GL (3651 posts) - - Show Bio

@sinestro_gl:Yeah I agree, I dropped the title after Geoff Johns left. But still have some GL love in me though. More just Hal Jordan and his history TBH.

That's why I keep picking up the GL title, haha. But looking back on it, apart from the first arc (Lightsout) and a couple of brilliantly-written issues from Godhead, it wasn't really worth the $$$ I spent on the issues.

#13 Posted by RoboShark (2637 posts) - - Show Bio

If you're lookin for a good Superman arc, check out "For Tomorrow."

#14 Posted by Raw_Material (3553 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Posted by Raw_Material (3553 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's a better question: What are some recent/current stories I should be reading?

#16 Posted by Guru_Crack (11568 posts) - - Show Bio

@raw_material: Honestly XO-Manowar you should read from the beginning, same with the IDw's TMNT, DC New 52 Aquaman, Animal Man, Wonder Woman, Batman & Swamp Thing. I would also recommend buying and reading Marvel's now Thor: God of Thunder. Image has Nailbiter which is a great read.

#17 Posted by FearTheLiving (8837 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's a better question: What are some recent/current stories I should be reading?

Well with the new status quo on the way you could get Secret Wars just the main title the tie-ins are mainly what ifs so those you could pick and choose what interest you.

If you're into the more fun stories Ant-Man and Squirrel Girl have been really good (albeit the art in SG isn't very good but the style suits the wackyness of the book) and like others have said Hawkeye (Lemire is writing All-New Hawkeye but I don't feel like it's picked up enough yet to really suggest it to non-Hawkeye fans) and Ms Marvel are awesome. If for some reason you haven't read Lemire's GA run I'd suggest that as well.

#18 Posted by Raw_Material (3553 posts) - - Show Bio

@guru_crack: I read all the New 52, but I'm talking afterwards. Like stuff that happened during and post convergence? Really like Geoff Johns Aquaman and Eastman's TMNT. I've been hearing good things of Swamp Thing and Thor: God Of Thunder! Even though, I'm more of a Hulk fan than of Thor's mythos. I really wanna start reading Batman comics again but there's just to many titles and storylines to try and start from fresh. I missed all the big story arcs during the New 52.

#19 Edited by Raw_Material (3553 posts) - - Show Bio

@feartheliving: I did. Lemire's Green Arrow was sick, how he told the story of his when he was pretty much on the verge of bankruptcy and his company was becoming corrupt. stopped around issue 23 I think but really wanna start reading the comic again!

#20 Posted by Guru_Crack (11568 posts) - - Show Bio

@raw_material: Just catch up slowly, buy them in TPB's and collect them that way. Yea I became a Hulk fan by reading some older Hulk comics like Planet Hulk.

#21 Edited by Raw_Material (3553 posts) - - Show Bio

@guru_crack: Just picked up some issues from Incredible Hulk at the comic con here, I'll post the issues tomorrow. I got a whole bunch of comics and some posters signed. I got the "House of M" Story arc from X-Men, Infinite Crisis Story Arc (Somehow didn't read this yet for some reason), Kingdom Comes (Superman), Sub Diego (Aquaman), and got a few issues of Wolverine vs Hulk that were pretty pricey but worth it. Need to dive into these comics tomorrow. I have a few more but can't list them on top of my head right now.

#22 Posted by Flumox56 (2301 posts) - - Show Bio

For older Storyline Arcs (Comics) I thought were really good,,,

Fatal Attractions (1993)

X-Factor #92, X-Force #25, Uncanny X-MEN #304, X-Men #25, Wolverine #75, Excalibur #71.

Blood Ties (1993)

Mighty Avengers 368, X-Men 26, West Coast Avengers-101, Uncanny X-Men 307, Mighty Avengers 369.

(These are the Issues if you are Interested & can not find a Trade)

#23 Posted by Guru_Crack (11568 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Posted by Raw_Material (3553 posts) - - Show Bio

Posted the comics I picked up at the convention on my latest blog

check it out!

and keep posting please!!!

#25 Posted by exaffect (36 posts) - - Show Bio

@raw_material:

I don't know what you read but I'll try. Also, before suggesting, is general discussion the right place to ask for suggestions? I want to make a thread for recommendations was curious.

criteria: Y the last man, 100 bullets, saga, fables, maus, watchmen, batman crush, killing joke, marvel civil war, house of m, daredevil 1998 issue 26 and onward. That's all I can think of for criteria. The first 5 suggestions are very strong titles with above average storytelling.

For current runs. Daredevil has a new run where he's in san fran which is okay for something to read. I'd check out inhumans. They have 2 recent runs and the mcu is going to start getting more into them if you like that.

Ms. Marvel and captain marvel are two great female characters. Ms marvel is heartwarming and sweet. Captain marvel is a military lady with quips and badassery. Both have current runs. Captain has two recent runs you can read through, too. Carol danvers after she took the mantel of captain marvel.

As for DC, I stay current with Batman and a few others but I'm not reading the convergence stuff or events. I actually don't like DC events.

You say you've read new 52 but I'll make some suggestions in case you may have missed something or stopped reading a title. Aquaman, Supergirl, Green Arrow from vol. 4 and onward, Batman, Batman Eternal (ended but the story is interesting), justice league dark, swampthing, wonder woman.

Alright, that's all I got. Take care.

#26 Edited by Raw_Material (3553 posts) - - Show Bio

@exaffect: That's for the suggestions! Helped out a lot. I actually picked up the House Of M issues at the last Comic Con I went to! Along with Infinite Crisis, Sub Diego, and couple Incredible Hulk vs Wolverine Story arcs. I posted up a blog of the comics I pulled at the event.

#27 Posted by exaffect (36 posts) - - Show Bio

@raw_material: Fo sho. General discussion is okay to make a thread about suggestion request?