Need help with comic im writing

Avatar image for alucardvanwayne1800
alucardvanwayne1800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So every time i start writing a comic its always about crazy over powered characters because im hoping to get published one day and people use my guys for debate

But recently i've kinda become disinterested in that form of writing because it makes for a bad story usually so i kinda came up with a new story that i think has potential

So the plot is going to be kinda like this

There is a super powered serial killer on a murder spree and he is just taunting the hell out of the police (his power set is kinda like alex mercers shadow mass thing minus ripping apart tanks and more focused on shape shifting, healing, and bladed arm thingys) so an ex special forces marine who became a detective decided to go outside the law wearing a mask and hunts this new killer down and plans to take him out for good

So the kinda feel i wanna go for here is like season 1 Sylar meets Rorschach so i want it to have this super creepy serial killer vibe but also have a very dark gritty noir thing going on as well do you think that is possible or could work well

Should i make this into one novel or a series?

Do you have any critiques or helpful tips maybe a few ideas to improve the story?

And before you ask yes this is a very much alan moore inspired story

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really comes down to the execution. Like the above poster said the concept isn't exactly that original so the writing and actual story would have to be pretty strong or else it'll just get lost in the shuffle, a great artist would also help it stand out as well. Make sure there is reasoning and motives behind your characters and that there is a goal they actually have. Why does this guy kill people? What makes this random guy put on a mask to track this guy down specifically? Are their any supporting characters? Will there be a mystery element that has you as the writer leaving clues as to who the serial killer really is? This a world that has powers already or is it unique to the serial killer?

The more you flesh out both the characters and the world they live in the better your overall story will become, also having a general outline of your story will help you build on it especially mystery stories. Nothings worse than a mystery story that starts getting way too convoluted or feels like the writer doesn't even know who the killer is so they're making stuff up each issue so much so that the killer doesn't make sense.

Just some things to think about. I'm far from a writer myself.

alucardvanwayne1800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As far as the villain i wanna leave it as ambiguous as possible i love that feeling you get trying to figure out how serial killers do what they do and who they are i want the reader to really question what the villain is

Is he a science experiment gone wrong, a demon, a god? Who knows i think i will eventually reveal it all but not until i truly have to

I also dont want my hero to be just some muscle bound badass i want him to truly be a worthy opponent intellectually but still be behind the villain i want it to be a battle of gifted minds with a few cool action panels

I really wanna stress how human the hero is too i want him to try and take on the villain physically few times and get utterly destroyed i want the reader to feel just as vulnerable and realize one wrong move could kill our hero i dont want him having some crazy durability and tanking something that would kill a normal human being

The hero may be a badass amongst regular people but against our enigmatic psychotic killer he isnt quite up to par

SeaGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alucardvanwayne1800: read the Jason Bourne novels to get a good idea of how you want to mc. As for multiple or a single one I would suggest depending on the flow have a it spaced out over multiple but have the first one feel like it would make a good closer if it isn't accepted well as as backup. For example have the villain either captured or given a vague ending such as being shot then falling off a bridge with no body found but thought to have been washed away by currents. However if part one is good you can either leave the villain be for that part and focus on another threat and save the villain for later or you can bring the villain back via him living from the fall or escaping from jail.

alucardvanwayne1800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seagod: very helpful i dont think i will have him captured tho i want this to be somewhat centered in reality aside from there being a superpowered serial killer lol but what i mean is i want it to be as if this guy was dropped into reality we dont have anything that could contain a shape shifting power house with arm blades and one hell of a healing factor which is why im going to get very creative with how he gets taken out and im making his identity such a mystery that i wont even know it til the end

SMXLR8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By SMXLR8

I think this is wrong place for help but good luck

Just_Banter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, any concept can make for an incredible story- even if it's a copy pasted concept - if you come at it from the right angle. I suggest that you read/watch through stories with a similar theme (shouldn't be hard to find some), and then mull over what the stories don't typically focus on before beginning. If you have something that makes it stand out it's a lot easier to make it memorable.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b9a7b52ce5df
deactivated-5b9a7b52ce5df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alucardvanwayne1800: here's the 1st tip never post your ideas on the internet or some wanker will copy it and will use it as his/her own.

Gotoucanario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gotoucanario

I doubt anyone here can give advice worth a damn lol, we are fans not writers, but anyway I'll still try to give my uneducated advice, like others said it's up to your execution, almost everything has been done already so it's not a big deal that it's something that's already been seen before.

I guess personally I like when a story plays like it was carefully planned beforehand and the clues were there all along if you go back and reread it instead of being made up as it went, even more important if it's kind of a detective/criminal story, so maybe try to have an endgame in mind.

Again, just a guess, but you probably want to keep it short and "simple" for now, shouldn't get too invested in a story when you are barely learning the ropes, if youtry to make it too long it you might lose sight of the main idea and make it too convoluted and aimless making it harder to know where you wrent wrong and where you went right. Even if you still want to stick to the original idea, you can simply use it as an prototype and expand on it later.

Anyway I really like your idea! I've always liked thrillers and detective stories so good luck.

alucardvanwayne1800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks guys for the help i'll take it all into account

venomyak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So what I'm getting is, this is a story where there is just one single Supervillain in an otherwise normal world. And out of desperation someone tries to become a superhero just because no one can think of anything else that can beat a supervillain. Despite what other people are saying that's a fairly original concept.

SeaGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@venomyak: most people are more against the characters which are just having their general information ripped and transplanted onto his mc and villain.