#1 Edited by Etheral_Dreams (6116 posts) - - Show Bio

On the battle forums, there has been a lot of debate over whether or not Naruto is lightspeed (in terms of reaction/combat speed.) The idea that Naruto may be lightspeed comes from his dodging of a technique called Sage Art: Light Fang, which was used by Madara (after Madara was amped by the Sage of 6 Paths.)

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2
The actual dodging takes place on the last panel of the first page, and the first panel of the second. Taken from Naruto Chapter 674.

Before you immediately dismiss it by saying "ninja techniques are not as fast as the real thing," which is normallytrue, this is no ordinary technique. This technique is, as the name states, a Sage Art, meaning it uses natural energy/energies, not just normal chakra. This isn't the first time we've seen something like this; Sasuke's once increased the speed of a lightning-type attack to that of natural lightning by using the latter - a natural form of energy - to supplement his chakra.

Sages, people who use senjutsu/Sage Arts, do something similar but at a much higher and refined level. Madara, at this point in time, was one of the most powerful Sages, and his chakra was essentially just natural energy. It should also be noted that techniques classified as "Storm Release", are not lightning based as you'd expect; they are all light based attacks.

Anyways, the 4th Databook (which is the most recent and updated of the databooks) confirms it lightspeed:

Ninjutsu / Senjutsu - Sage Art: Storm Release Light Fang

A ninjutsu used by those who gained the six paths power, they emit a beam of light to bisect the enemy. Like a sharp and pointed fang, it cuts all things with the speed of light, making it impossible for the enemy to evade even one swing

So we know the beam is light speed because:

• Official sources told us so, twice.
  • It's in the attack's name
  • It uses natural energy

That leads to people questioning whether or not Naruto actually dodged the beam, or if he did, that he must've just moved faster than the speed at which the beam was swung, not the light itself. This is understandable, seeing as the original manga scans were quite vague.

However, the episode 424 of the anime proved those arguments wrong. Let's look at the episode's screen caps, shall we?

First, we see Naruto move in close to Madara, attempting to attack him with his staff. However, Naruto was blocked by Madara's Limbo (an invisible clone.) At this point, the distance between them is very small, no more than a few feet.
First, we see Naruto move in close to Madara, attempting to attack him with his staff. However, Naruto was blocked by Madara's Limbo (an invisible clone.) At this point, the distance between them is very small, no more than a few feet.

Secondly, we see Madara begin to fire the beam from his mouth. Notice how his head is not turning.
Secondly, we see Madara begin to fire the beam from his mouth. Notice how his head is not turning.

The path of the beam was highlighted in red, showing how far it traveled to reach Naruto's staff.
The path of the beam was highlighted in red, showing how far it traveled to reach Naruto's staff.

Naruto clearly follows the motion of the beam of light, and manages to react to the attack before it can cut him apart as it did to his staff.
Naruto clearly follows the motion of the beam of light, and manages to react to the attack before it can cut him apart as it did to his staff.
ONLY AFTER Naruto has dodged the beam's motion, Madara - realizing that Naruto reacted to the light - swings his head to the right, trying to catch Naruto.
ONLY AFTER Naruto has dodged the beam's motion, Madara - realizing that Naruto reacted to the light - swings his head to the right, trying to catch Naruto.

So, I guess we can now say that Naruto has lightspeed reactions in his newest form. This makes sense considering at this point, he's far faster than the likes of Gai, who has attacked so fast he warped space (which only happens at relativistic speeds, or 10% lightspeed+.)

Avatar image for precrisisbardock
#2 Posted by PreCrisisBardock (8735 posts) - - Show Bio

Naruto in that form still has precog.

#3 Posted by Etheral_Dreams (6116 posts) - - Show Bio

@precrisisbardock: There's no indication he was using precognition. Even if he was, it doesn't change the fact he was able to react to a lightspeed attack.

#4 Posted by PreCrisisBardock (8735 posts) - - Show Bio

@precrisisbardock: There's no indication he was using precognition. Even if he was, it doesn't change the fact he was able to react to a lightspeed attack.

• Madara has to charge it up.
  • That's like saying there's no evidence Sasuke is using Precog in [X] encounter, it's automatic.
#6 Edited by Etheral_Dreams (6116 posts) - - Show Bio

@etheral_dreams said:

• That's like saying there's no evidence Sasuke is using Precog in [X] encounter, it's automatic.
  • Madara didn't charge it up at all, it was instant.
  • We usually get an indication whenever Naruto is using precog.
#7 Posted by Leo-343 (30909 posts) - - Show Bio

Prepare yourself.

#8 Edited by PreCrisisBardock (8735 posts) - - Show Bio

@etheral_dreams said:
@precrisisbardock said:
@etheral_dreams said:

• He clearly has to say Sage Art: Light Fang. It then begins to come out
  • "Usually get an indication" Lol.
#9 Posted by Etheral_Dreams (6116 posts) - - Show Bio

@leo-343 said:

Prepare yourself.

I am prepared:

No Caption Provided

#10 Posted by InFamous_Wolf (1427 posts) - - Show Bio

@etheral_dreams: Finally the anime becomes useful lol. Anyway good thread but some people will still refuse to believe Naruto can have a FTL feat. Just like how they ignore The Last is Canon because of Naruto's Moon durability feat smh....

#11 Posted by Etheral_Dreams (6116 posts) - - Show Bio

@etheral_dreams said:
@precrisisbardock said:
@etheral_dreams said:

• He clearly has to say Sage Art: Light Fang.
  • In the anime. In the manga it's clear the names are only said mentally. In fact, by the time "Sage Art: Light Fang" said, the beam of light was exiting Madara's mouth; he clearly wasn't moving his mouth and talking. Even more proof it's mental.
  • Whenever Naruto's sage sensing detects something, it's fairly clear he's using it.
#12 Posted by Etheral_Dreams (6116 posts) - - Show Bio

@etheral_dreams: Finally the anime becomes useful lol. Anyway good thread but some people will still refuse to believe Naruto can have a FTL feat. Just like how they ignore The Last is Canon because of Naruto's Moon durability feat smh....

Yeah. The salt is just too high.

Avatar image for unbreakable_fs4
#13 Edited by unBREAKable_Fs4 (4316 posts) - - Show Bio

Well there you have it guys/girls. Now hopefully all the back and forth about this topic stops.

EDIT: After much pondering, I wouldn't say it's FTL but the evasion is definitely light speed. Look at it this way; if two objects are moving at light speed and one has a shorter distance to travel (i.e. Naruto shifting a little to evade), they will not collide.

#14 Posted by ComicStooge (22062 posts) - - Show Bio

Gai in his 8th Gate form was bending the space around him, so this doesn't surprise me.

#15 Posted by PreCrisisBardock (8735 posts) - - Show Bio

@precrisisbardock said:
@etheral_dreams said:
@precrisisbardock said:
@etheral_dreams said:

• He clearly has to say Sage Art: Light Fang.
  • In the anime. In the manga it's clear the names are only said mentally. In fact, by the time "Sage Art: Light Fang" said, the beam of light was exiting Madara's mouth; he clearly wasn't moving his mouth and talking. Even more proof it's mental.
  • Whenever Naruto's sage sensing detects something, it's fairly clear he's using it.
  • Point Taken.
  • He always has his precog on when in that form -_-
#16 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (31807 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not ftl, though. It's extremely close to light speed if not light speed.

@etheral_dreams said:

Your points are completely ignorant of the situation though. He was still in position after the attack was fired, he was still in the same place by the time the light fang hit the staff. He can literally move out of the way when a light speed attack is inches from him - with raw speed.

#17 Posted by those_eyes (17291 posts) - - Show Bio

No Caption Provided

#18 Edited by PreCrisisBardock (8735 posts) - - Show Bio

@etheral_dreams: @princearagorn1:

My bad, I'm debating this wrong, allow me to recompose myself.

No Caption Provided

Naruto doesn't necessarily dodge it as it lienaerly beams at him.

• His Precog allows him to see things before they happen.
  • Madara can't swing his neck at lightspeed, which he is clearly doing, swinging his neck and using the Light Fang as a slash type attack.

#19 Posted by PreCrisisBardock (8735 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyway the moral is:

Naruto Characters are relativistic ATM.

Avatar image for homicidalmaniac
#20 Edited by homicidalmaniac (10894 posts) - - Show Bio

Still slower than Index characters

#21 Edited by InFamous_Wolf (1427 posts) - - Show Bio

@those_eyes said:
@infamous_wolf said:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#22 Edited by thelocust619 (7854 posts) - - Show Bio

@etheral_dreams: I believe it was you I was discussing this with earlier. I conceed (to him being lightspeed, not ftl), after watching the anime it is indisputable. Nothing is even necessary beyond seeing the beam in travel then seeing Naruto clearly move afterwards. Idk why it wasn't clarified in the manga, but there's nothing to argue now. Good show, sir

#23 Posted by those_eyes (17291 posts) - - Show Bio

@those_eyes said:
@infamous_wolf said:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

How am i the salty one when you are the one who is upset that people don't overrate Naruto like you do? :P

#24 Posted by PreCrisisBardock (8735 posts) - - Show Bio

@thelocust619: Wat. Naruto ducks it before the beam is sliced at him....

#25 Posted by Just_Banter (12354 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, this may very well prove interesting.

#26 Posted by Etheral_Dreams (6116 posts) - - Show Bio

@etheral_dreams: I believe it was you I was discussing this with earlier. I conceed, after watching the anime it is indisputable. Nothing is even necessary beyond seeing the beam in travel then seeing Naruto clearly move afterwards. Idk why it wasn't clarified in the manga, but there's nothing to argue now. Good show, sir

Thank you.

No Caption Provided

• Madara can't swing his neck at lightspeed, which he is clearly doing, swinging his neck and using the Light Fang as a slash type attack.

The anime clarifies the manga scan. Madara didn't swing his head until after Naruto dodged it; it was originally a bisecting/impaling type attack, however Naruto dodged it. After the dodge, Madara swung his head. Madara was not swing his head at lightspeed. The speed of the beam's extension is independent of how fast Madara's head turned.

Regardless of whether or not Naruto used precognition, it's undeniable that he managed to dodge a lightspeed attack. The end result was the same; we were not arguing the mechanics of how he dodged it, but if he did, and it's clear that he did.

#27 Posted by thelocust619 (7854 posts) - - Show Bio

@infamous_wolf: "Just like how they ignore The Last is Canon because of Naruto's Moon durability feat smh...."

-it's not that we ignored it, we paid attention. It was completely hollow, and only a slice. The only thing moon level about it is the range, the damage caused is closer to multi-continent+ considering the thing has nowhere near the mass of an actual moon

#28 Posted by Etheral_Dreams (6116 posts) - - Show Bio

@those_eyes: Can you guys stop quoting? You keep tagging me.

#29 Posted by PreCrisisBardock (8735 posts) - - Show Bio

@etheral_dreams: He clearly swings his head and Naruto duck it. The anime and Mange are different, unlike DB. Link me to the episode regardless.

#30 Posted by those_eyes (17291 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Edited by thelocust619 (7854 posts) - - Show Bio

@precrisisbardock: the beam is already in the air before he moves. The precog has absolutely nothing at all to do with his movement speed. The point is that his body can move that fast....fast enough to dodge a beam of light completely at a distance of a few inches. Done.

Madara swinging his head doesn't have anything to do with it either, because the beam was initially fired straight, as the anime clarified for us.

#32 Posted by Etheral_Dreams (6116 posts) - - Show Bio

@etheral_dreams: He clearly swings his head and Naruto duck it. The anime and Mange are different, unlike DB. Link me to the episode regardless.

Link.

Anyways, the manga shows a gap in time between the last panel of page 5 and the first panel of page 6, where the dodging takes place. That small time gap makes it unclear when Madara actually used his attack and what actually happened. The anime fills in that time gap. It should also be noted that only the anime filler is uncanon; this is not a filler episode.

#33 Posted by Hulkage (5322 posts) - - Show Bio

@etheral_dreams: I've been preaching it for months now. I'm here as backup should you need it.

#34 Posted by InFamous_Wolf (1427 posts) - - Show Bio

@those_eyes: I can't lie you seem pretty salty, especially since you're the one who replied to my comment in the first place lol. So you must have felt some type of way, right?

#35 Posted by Etheral_Dreams (6116 posts) - - Show Bio

@infamous_wolf: "Just like how they ignore The Last is Canon because of Naruto's Moon durability feat smh...."

-it's not that we ignored it, we paid attention. It was completely hollow, and only a slice. The only thing moon level about it is the range, the damage caused is closer to multi-continent+ considering the thing has nowhere near the mass of an actual moon

The moon wasn't hollow. Only a small portion of the moon's crust was hollowed out to fit in Toneri's civilization. It was a glorified cave; and even if the entirety of the crust was hollowed out, the crust only accounts for an extremely small portion of the moon's mass and volume.

#36 Posted by zenpaktoe82 (438 posts) - - Show Bio

@etheral_dreams: Because Naruto was able to see it, then he was able to react. However seeing something that is coming at you at the speed of light which is normaly like 300 000 miles a sec seems very unlikely even to the anime world including Naruto.

#37 Posted by Etheral_Dreams (6116 posts) - - Show Bio

@hulkage said:

@etheral_dreams: I've been preaching it for months now. I'm here as backup should you need it.

Yeah, I know. Now you have official video evidence. The only way people can deny it now is if they somehow feel threatened, LOL.

#38 Posted by those_eyes (17291 posts) - - Show Bio

@hulkage said:

What the hell? dont back him up hulkage. You are a Naruto fanboy to?

No Caption Provided

#40 Posted by Etheral_Dreams (6116 posts) - - Show Bio

@etheral_dreams: Because Naruto was able to see it, then he was able to react. However seeing something that is coming at you at the speed of light which is normaly like 300 000 miles a sec seems very unlikely even to the anime world including Naruto.

Whether or not it seems unlikely is irrelevant, the feat happened. It just shows he has lightspeed perception and reaction, which isn't hard to believe; weaker characters were warping space by the sheer speed of their attack. Also, there are hundreds of anime characters that are lightspeed and FTL. I don't know why being an anime/manga character prevents you from being that fast. The only reason why someone would think that is because most mainstream anime characters are not that fast.

#41 Edited by thelocust619 (7854 posts) - - Show Bio

@etheral_dreams: Well they sure fit an aweful lot in that perfectly round glorified cave containing an entire civilization of moon people....then remember when the vast majority of Naruto's chakra went off the explosion caused wasn't really comparable to the moon in full. It just made a big hole in the crust, which btw wasn't very thick as seen when Kurama fell through it. Iirc shikamaru even mentioned something along the lines of "the moons...hollow?". Id still insist saying hes truely moon level is a bit of a stretch. He's on his way, sure, but not quite.

I'd give him half a moon, considering he had at most half the power of the guy who actually made the moon in the first place

#42 Edited by PreCrisisBardock (8735 posts) - - Show Bio

@etheral_dreams said:
@precrisisbardock said:

Link.

Anyways, the manga shows a gap in time between the last panel of page 5 and the first panel of page 6, where the dodging takes place. That small time gap makes it unclear when Madara actually used his attack and what actually happened. The anime fills in that time gap. It should also be noted that only the anime filler is uncanon; this is not a filler episode.

The entire thing is different, it's not just "filler".

Example: Sasuke never used his lion combo in the anime.

I'll watch the video, though in the manga it's clear he's swiping

what time frame is it in?

#43 Posted by Hulkage (5322 posts) - - Show Bio

@hulkage said:

No Caption Provided

Lol I was arguing Naruto being lightspeed from the beginning. Weren't you in my Naruto vs Sora CAV?

Oh and someone tag Sirfizzwhizzl

#44 Posted by Etheral_Dreams (6116 posts) - - Show Bio

1. That was lightning. Just like what's coming out of his hands

2. Sage style increases perception and reaction doesn't mean they're faster. Case and point naruto vs A. Or Spiderman dodging bullets

1. What was coming out of his hands was a completely different technique, not Sage Art: Light Fang, which is confirmed lightspeed. The only similarity is that they're the same color.

2. Having heightened perceptions and reactions literally mean you're faster, lmao. You have no proof it wasn't a lightspeed reaction.

@hulkage said:

No Caption Provided

Not a fanboy, I'm saying what happened. Not my fault you seem so scared about it.

#45 Posted by those_eyes (17291 posts) - - Show Bio

@those_eyes: I can't lie you seem pretty salty, especially since you're the one who replied to my comment in the first place lol. So you must have felt some type of way, right?

Yep. But you came into this thread stating you dont like how people who dont think nartuo is ftl. Cause if you really weren't salty you wouldn't care and wouldn't have made effort to come in this thread and comment in the first place. You are more salty than i am.

No Caption Provided

#46 Posted by Etheral_Dreams (6116 posts) - - Show Bio

@etheral_dreams: Well they sure fit an aweful lot in that perfectly round glorified cave containing an entire civilization of moon people....then remember when the vast majority of Naruto's chakra went off the explosion caused wasn't really comparable to the moon in full. It just made a big hole in the crust, which btw wasn't very thick as seen when Kurama fell through it. Iirc shikamaru even mentioned something along the lines of "the moons...hollow?". Id still insist saying hes truely moon level is a bit of a stretch. He's on his way, sure, but not quite.

I'd give him half a moon, considering he had at most half the power of the guy who actually made the moon in the first place

The moon's crust has an area of over 14 million square miles, or nearly the size of the African and Australian continents combined. Of course they can fit a lot inside. Also, I never said it's perfectly round. In the Last, it's shown as a shallow depression leading into a hollow portion of the moon's crust.

.then remember when the vast majority of Naruto's chakra went off the explosion caused wasn't really comparable to the moon in full.

When did this happen? Naruto never expended a large amount of his chakra in that fight. Also, Kurama's falling through the crust is just a testament to how strong the force was that pushed him through it.

Also, Shikimaru was uncertain of himself, and the english translations of the Last are really bad. For most of that movie, sister was translated as brother.

Avatar image for itachi_totsukablitz
#47 Posted by Itachi_Totsukablitz (389 posts) - - Show Bio

Naruto is not LS nor is he FTL.

#48 Edited by PrinceAragorn1 (31807 posts) - - Show Bio

@precrisisbardock said:

Yes, you are. Debating and understanding, actually.

I can only assume you're unable to see the pictures in the OP, it cannot possibly be any clearer that he dodged it as it beamed towards him.

Irrelevant. He's using raw speed here, not dodging before the attack is fired. Plus, his precog is balanced out here.

...Yeah, recomposing didn't change anything, your interpretation is still completely inaccurate.

Naruto dodged the attack after it was inches from his face as demonstrated in the OP.

@the_warboy said:

1. That was lightning. Just like what's coming out of his hands

It's called "storm release light fang", actually..

2. Sage style increases perception and reaction doesn't mean they're faster. Case and point naruto vs A. Or Spiderman dodging bullets

Exactly. Spiderman can see and catch bullets inches from his face. Naruto can do that to light speed attacks.

#49 Posted by Hulkage (5322 posts) - - Show Bio

Here was the original post...

Lightspeed in Naruto?

There are actually several instances of lightspeed travel and reaction speed.

The first but most obscure example of a lightspeeder in the Naruto-verse is Minato, the Yellow Flash. People often confuse his speed with just teleportation but they are actually two different techniques: shunshin and hiraishin.

Hiraishin is also the technique know as Flying Thunder God. It is a teleportation technique that operates instantly and allows the user to teleport to wherever a seal (or tag) is placed. For example:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Here we can see him teleport to the tag, here is where the confusion begins. Minato teleports away and back faster than Raikage, who was lightning speed, could move a few inches. That means his reactions are so fast that lightning would seem to be standing still.

Minato did not gain the name Yellow Flash from his teleport technique. Actually he gains it from shunshin which is pure footspeed. The teleportation is instant and leaves no traces, you simply appear at the tag.

His shunshin which was described as "a flash of light" inside of the actual databook is pictured here:

No Caption Provided

But many people like to discredit it as hyperbole so this will not be an actual part of my lightspeed argument.

Example #1:

The first form of lightspeed travel in Naruto that is non refutable is Heavenly Transfer Technique. This is a technique in which a ninja from the hidden cloud can instantly send things at the speed of light.

No Caption Provided

With this technique, Mabui is able to transport objects anywhere at the speed of light. When being transferred, the object is engulfed in light and moves to any desired destination through a narrow beam, reminiscent of a bolt of lightning. In all instances the technique was shown, the object transported was placed onto a sort of platform.

Although typically restricted to inanimate objects, the technique can be used on living organisms as well, including humans. However, as the body is unable to handle the speed involved in the transfer, they would normally be ripped to shreds as a result. Most notably the Third Raikage, with his extreme durability, was thought to be the only person able to endure the technique unharmed.[2] However later on, the Fourth Raikage and Tsunade both managed to survive it, although the latter suffered several minor injuries while the former suffered none.

This goes to show that anyone with durability better or equivalent to that of the Raikage should be able to survive lightspeed travel. This isn't lightspeed travel on someone's own accord, but it shows that Naruto characters are durable enough to survive it.

Example #2:

The first time we see an actual lightspeed attack (that can't be called hyperbole) is Might Gai's Night Moth.

Here he is shown bending space as he moves and affecting Gravity:

No Caption Provided

This is evidence of lightspeed movement for a few reasons. In order to truly distort space you have to be at least relativistic in speed. But here Gai does more than just distort it, his mass increases tremendously. We know this because the rod begins to become attracted to him in the bottom mid frame. According to the theory of relativity, if you are 90% of the speed of light your mass would double. That's nowhere near enough for objects, especially as dense as the chakra rods, to become attracted to you. Going lightspeed and increasing his mass to infinite for a short burst of speed is the much more logical explanation seeing as a shift of mass from a hundred something kilos to infinite would indeed cause the space to distort and would call other nearby objects to become attracted to him because of the sudden shift in gravity. Continue'd use of that speed would have caused a miniature black hole.

So now we have a two feats in this scan:

1. Might Gai can travel lightspeed in short burst when he releases the 8th inner gate

2. Madara has lightspeed reactions and perceptions (and honestly it isn't the first time even though everyone likes to discredit this feat):

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2

Madara reacts to multiple lasers in a jutsu called laser circus. Don't get caught up in the "name doesn't equal power" hype because the only other Storm Release jutsu documented is Madara's light fang which is confirmed as lightspeed.

Example #3:

Naruto, Sasuke, and Lightspeed:

I have already provided evidence of both Gai moving at lightspeeds and Madara moving and reacting faster than light. Now I just have to give proof of Sasuke

First example:

This is the most obvious one, Naruto dodging Madara's light fang:

Sage Art: Storm Release Light Fang (仙法・嵐遁光牙, Senpō: Ranton Kōga)

Ninjutsu - Senjutsu

No Caption Provided

A Ninjutsu used by those who gained the Six Paths power, they emit a beam of light to bisect the enemy. Like a sharp and pointed fang, it cuts all things with the speed of light, making it impossible for the enemy to evade even one swing.

Naruto dodges this attack quite easily. And for those people bringing up Naruto's precog in this feat well you're wrong. Whenever Naruto's precog is in use Kishimoto illistrates it with an exclamation mark and/or a question mark ( !? or ! or !!) For example:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Here we also have Naruto blitzing Madara:

No Caption Provided

Now Sasuke's turn:

No Caption Provided

I can post more evidence but I believe this to be enough.

#50 Posted by Noone301994 (22169 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided