• 109 results
#51 Posted by dngn4774 (5579 posts) - - Show Bio

You should really watch Marvel's earlier films. We've been spoiled today with what we considered a bad comic book movie. 90's Cap, 80's Punisher, and Hasslehoff's Nick Fury movie make your top pick look oscar worthy.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
#52 Edited by IndomitableRegal (15883 posts) - - Show Bio

Great list. Probably would've traded MoS for Spider-Man 3. I'd have to give it some thought to decide if I agree with 10-2 as you have them, but I don't think there's any argument for 1. Bat Nipples.

#53 Posted by Jestersmiles (9826 posts) - - Show Bio

No ghost rider?? Granted I understand people dislike MOS but I would put both Ghost rider's movies over it, those where such horrible movies I am surprised they were not straight to DVD movies. Great list nonetheless.

#54 Posted by Jgames (8148 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the bigger sin is Iron Man 2 is not here, so I am guessing obvious Marvel fanboy, or he does not think like me.

#55 Posted by MICKEY-MOUSE (36712 posts) - - Show Bio

@dngn4774 said:

You should really watch Marvel's earlier films. We've been spoiled today with what we considered a bad comic book movie. 90's Cap, 80's Punisher, and Hasslehoff's Nick Fury movie make your top pick look oscar worthy.

Yeah, see I though @lvenger was focusing on modern worst, but then he included Quest for Peace. Great blog, but sorry these are not the worst, not even close if you're willing to count older films.

Avatar image for emperorxhadesx420
#56 Posted by EmperorxHadesx420 (2324 posts) - - Show Bio
#57 Posted by Shepard-Croft (1940 posts) - - Show Bio

Knew Man of Steel was gonna make it, heh heh.

#58 Posted by wrucebayne (568 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: Catwoman is definitely the worst. I remember putting it on as a young kid going through puberty, just to see Halle Berry, and my god, what a mistake. That is one of the most miserable movies of all time. Batman & Robin on the other hand, is a complete cheesy, shlocky disaster that is completely enjoyable to watch... at times.

Regarding BvS, how did you feel about the portrayal of Batman? I wouldn't go as far as to say it was as bad as Superman in MoS, but holy shit does Zack Snyder not like or understand these characters. A movie where both "heroes" are complete, unlikable jerkoffs. And I can't believe you sat through the "Ultimate Edition," I couldn't make it passed the thirty minute mark. What a snoozefest.

Avatar image for kryptonianprime
#59 Posted by KryptonianPrime (403 posts) - - Show Bio

@toatoaa said:

MoS shouldn't be here imo

but other than that great list

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
#60 Posted by AllStarSuperman (43147 posts) - - Show Bio

Ah dude. You forgot about the Amazing Spider-Man movies.

#61 Posted by Lejon (2946 posts) - - Show Bio

Agree with the list.

#62 Posted by Lvenger (36338 posts) - - Show Bio

@krleavenger: I think I remember reading that blog, a lot of angry passion but you got the message across. Fox just can't handle the FF the way they can the X-Men. Which really is a shame because of all their potential.

Origins is actually coming off the list now due to a comment Lukehero made. Only that one is being changed though. And yeah you'll see me affirm why MOS was such a terrible gutpunch and back stab for me due to those whose opinions don't always overlap.

@2cool4fun It's also the delivery and timing of that line that really help it to stick out like a sore thumb. Didn't help since the flashbacks were actually far superior to the present day sci-fi disaster movie.

@petey_is_spidey Superman 3 is bad and silly and stupid but it is not heinously bad like Quest for Peace is. It also tries to do sub-par visual effects and there are one or two goofy moments from Superman turning into a dick that get a chuckle from me. Haven't seen Steel so that's why I haven't included it. And the FF movies whilst bad are at least bad FF movies. Fan4stic is a shockingly bad movie that takes away from what makes the FF so appealing. This is a top 10 list and there's only so much that can go on it. Because of what Luke said I'm going to take Origins off and add the 90s Captain America film higher on the list. Man of Steel is staying however.

@jake_fury Thanks, I wouldn't recommend seeing either of them, they're both disappointing and depressing movies.

@emperorxhadesx420 I'm going to put the 90s Captain America film on here since it's only fair to include more old goofy movies that are simply terrible by any standard of cinema. So Origins is coming off, however there are some things worse than low budget direct to video attempts at a CBM. And I strongly consider MOS and BvS prime examples of worse movies than some low grade movies, all the more due to the increased budget and work that went into a rotten apple.

I would add X-Men: Last Stand--first thing I said to my friend coming out of the theater was, "That had nothing to do with the Phoenix story.". If I didn't know anything about comics it could have been better.

Good shout at X-Men Last Stand, that is by far one of the worst X-Men movies and how badly it does the Phoenix story is off putting to us comic fans with prior knowledge.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a853424245e3
#63 Posted by deactivated-5a853424245e3 (4168 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman IV's underrated.

#64 Posted by Lvenger (36338 posts) - - Show Bio
@dngn4774 said:

I've seen 90s Cap so that will be going on here today once I edit it in. Haven't seen the other two but sometimes how badly a film makes you feel about it, no matter how much budget, work or time went into it is worse than an underfunded goofy excuse of a CBM.

Great list. Probably would've traded MoS for Spider-Man 3. I'd have to give it some thought to decide if I agree with 10-2 as you have them, but I don't think there's any argument for 1. Bat Nipples.

Damn Spider-Man 3, how could I overlook that? Kind of wish I'd put it in over Origins to be replaced, that one is definite comic book movie

No ghost rider?? Granted I understand people dislike MOS but I would put both Ghost rider's movies over it, those where such horrible movies I am surprised they were not straight to DVD movies. Great list nonetheless.

I agree the Ghost Rider movies are really quite bad, I heard though that some people think the second is marginally better than the first. Eh it's mixed reactions to those films I guess and there's only so much that can go on a top 10 list.

@jgames said:

I think the bigger sin is Iron Man 2 is not here, so I am guessing obvious Marvel fanboy, or he does not think like me.

Um I don't really like Iron Man 2 at all, I just prefer it to Iron Man 3. Also, I prefer DC to Marvel as far as comics go, especially currently, so I'm not an obvious Marvel fanboy. I just prefer the MCU for willing to be comic book movies rather than an attempt to replicate the Nolan trilogy.

@lukehero said:
@dngn4774 said:

Yeah, see I though @lvenger was focusing on modern worst, but then he included Quest for Peace. Great blog, but sorry these are not the worst, not even close if you're willing to count older films.

I'm putting the 90s Captain America film in because of what you said Luke but sorry, Man of Steel deserves to be on my list as of right now. What's worse about it is that despite the budget, time and effort that went into it, I ended up seeing something that desecrated almost everything I loved about Superman and generated those who think this is how Superman should be. That to me is a far worse sin than some of the low budget direct to video movies. I can feel like watching a dumb low brow 80s/90s movie whereas I cannot stand the idea of wanting to watch Man of Steel or BvS in comparison.

@lvenger: Catwoman is definitely the worst. I remember putting it on as a young kid going through puberty, just to see Halle Berry, and my god, what a mistake. That is one of the most miserable movies of all time. Batman & Robin on the other hand, is a complete cheesy, shlocky disaster that is completely enjoyable to watch... at times.

Regarding BvS, how did you feel about the portrayal of Batman? I wouldn't go as far as to say it was as bad as Superman in MoS, but holy shit does Zack Snyder not like or understand these characters. A movie where both "heroes" are complete, unlikable jerkoffs. And I can't believe you sat through the "Ultimate Edition," I couldn't make it passed the thirty minute mark. What a snoozefest.

Fair points on Catwoman, I guess the two can be interchangeable due to Batman and Robin's disastrous cheesiness being entertaining to watch.

I really did not like Batfleck's portrayal very much, I felt it was too steeped in attempting to be TDKR esque and Batman's attitude to Superman, whilst justifiable, went excessively over the top sometimes. Plus the whole killing thing is arguably worse in failing to understand the character than Superman snapping Zod's neck. Affleck tried his best but the blame for Batfleck lies with Snyder IMO.

Ah dude. You forgot about the Amazing Spider-Man movies.

Yeah I know, I considered them but whilst they're bad, they're not top 10 bad IMO. Plus even though ASM 2 is bad, it still has Spider-Man 3 to make it look better.

#65 Posted by MonsterStomp (36762 posts) - - Show Bio

Knowing you're a huge Superman fan, I can understand why Man of Steel is on the list.

#67 Posted by black_wreath (13557 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice engaging list even if I thought you were a little too harsh on some.

I would have trouble thinking of 10 cbms I've seen that I outright hated, Catwoman is the only one I can think of that I've seen and found no redeeming quality in.

#68 Edited by silent_bomber (4932 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: Are you lukewarm on the Stallone Judge Dredd movie or is it just not included?

I don't think its a good movie but I don't really hate it like some do.

#69 Posted by jb681131 (3072 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: Your list is your opinion, but to me you are listing disapointing movies not "worst" movies. People had high hopes for these movies and they came out so so. The real worst movies are so bad that you didn't event think of them, because they have been forgoten.

In no order:

• Thor 1
  • Catwoman
  • Electra
  • Fantastic 4 (2015)
  • Howard the Duck
  • The incredible Hulk
  • Iron man 2
  • Son of the Mask
  • Monkeybone
  • El Muerto (aka The Dead One)
  • Punisher: War zone
  • Superman IV
  • The Spirit
  • TMNT III
  • Virus
  • Bad Kids go to hell
  • Garfield the movie
  • The Smurfs 1&2
#70 Posted by g2_ (11408 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice list.

Avatar image for deactivated-5988def3424a7
#71 Posted by deactivated-5988def3424a7 (5386 posts) - - Show Bio

This list is about right.

#72 Posted by ConnorDorian (1320 posts) - - Show Bio

Good List , but no Ironman 3.

#73 Edited by MICKEY-MOUSE (36712 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: Yeah, what jb said. Like have you seen Monkeybone and Virus. @jb681131: Yeah, see your list is hitting on what I am talking about. Even for kids films Garfield and Smurfs...god awful.

#74 Posted by Heatforce (6150 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, none of the DCEU movies would be on my list but I also wouldn't put Superman 4 on there either. It's the worst of Reeve's Superman movies for sure but it was still enjoyable because iirc, this was the first time a live-action Superman fought against another Super-powered being that wasn't kryptonian. That's a novelty in Superman 4 IMO. Personally, I would have replaced Superman 4 with Supergirl (1984). It came before Superman 4 but the overall quality was worse. What's even sadder is this was DC's first attempt at a shared live-action universe since Supergirl is canon to Reeve's Superman. So yes, DC did it first but they failed.

#75 Posted by silent_bomber (4932 posts) - - Show Bio
#76 Posted by jb681131 (3072 posts) - - Show Bio
#77 Posted by entropy_aegis (20830 posts) - - Show Bio

It's astounding to note that there are so many bad CBMs' and you still haven't mentioned X-3, Batman Forever, Steel, Supergirl, Blade Trinity, the first 2 Fantastic 4 films, Superman 3, both Punisher films, the 90's Cap film.

In fact I'd wager that there are more bad CBM's than good.

#78 Edited by silent_bomber (4932 posts) - - Show Bio

@jb681131 said:

@silent_bomber: Is this movie inspired by a comics ?

Yup

Its a CBM about an evil plot to create monsters that masquerade as Condoms.

#79 Posted by Lvenger (36338 posts) - - Show Bio

Knowing you're a huge Superman fan, I can understand why Man of Steel is on the list.

Well yeah the disappointment as a Superman fan is a very personal reason for my enmity to it. It's also not to my liking as a film.

@krleavenger Well I don't have a stake or worthy opinion on Suicide Squad. I hear mixed things about it both from, the brief summary I read on Wikipedia doesn't sound special and it really seems to have hurt its chances that most of the Joker and Batman scenes were cut out.

Nice engaging list even if I thought you were a little too harsh on some.

I would have trouble thinking of 10 cbms I've seen that I outright hated, Catwoman is the only one I can think of that I've seen and found no redeeming quality in.

Lucky you don't seem to be as quick to anger as I can on certain things. Catwoman is really an irredeemable film to be sure, there are no positives to it.

@lvenger: Are you lukewarm on the Stallone Judge Dredd movie or is it just not included?

I don't think its a good movie but I don't really hate it like some do.

I'd say I'm lukewarm on it. It's obviously not good and I could find plenty of bad things with it but it's not worth the hate some others on my list are.

@jb681131 I understand that criticism of my blog but some of the more modern high budget films are all the more worst to me. The two DCEU films I have are not just disappointing, they're dangerously bad and subversive of the characters. Some of the films you list are also good choices to be fair except for Thor 1, I'd understand The Dark World. I haven't seen or heard about and the Smurfs, although based on a Belgium comic, is not something I care about at all and the focus is mainly on the superhero genre.

@lukehero said:

@lvenger: Yeah, what jb said. Like have you seen Monkeybone and Virus. @jb681131: Yeah, see your list is hitting on what I am talking about. Even for kids films Garfield and Smurfs...god awful.

What is Monkeybone and Virus then?

@heatforce I was already asked about why I didn't have Superman 3 on here and I suppose I gave similar reasons but are you sure the novelty of Superman fighting Radioactive Man is actually a novelty? I hate the Superman vs Zod fight but it does feel like two of the most powerful beings tearing apart a city at least. Haven't seen Supergirl in 1984, it actually has some die hard defenders though, that's something Superman IV would never have.

@entropy_aegis So many movies, so little time unfortunately. A Top 10 doesn't allow every horrible turd to be given the light of day.

#80 Posted by Heatforce (6150 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: Well, as a kid, I thought it was the greatest thing ever (Nuclear man vs Superman). Watch Supergirl and prepare for cringe. Helen Slater, the actress who played supergirl, did okay but the script was pure a$$ and the budget was non-existent.

#81 Posted by MICKEY-MOUSE (36712 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: Monkeybone was that horrible Brendan Fraisher movie. Virus was a dumpster fire of a movie. Both were based on great premises from their comics and turned into lazy made turds.

Monkeybone is based on Darktown, and Virus is based on a comic of the same name. They are much worse than anything on this list.

#82 Posted by Lvenger (36338 posts) - - Show Bio

@heatforce: I'll find a copy online then and see the cringiness of it.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
#83 Posted by buttersdaman000 (22747 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

Well I've seen clips of it on Youtube but I haven't watched it all the way through like with Fant4stic. It would be utter torture to me like you said. I expect buttersdamn to come and call me out on this so if he plays his cards right, I might get rustled enough to actually watch and review BvS myself. That would bring a storm on the Vine I've been trying to avoid.

I respect your opinion to put MoS at #9 [ wtf lol totally wrong] but even though BvS is obviously worse, you haven't seen it. You can't form a personal, objective opinion on something you haven't seen for yourself. AmazingSpidey(?) actually dislike MoS almost as much as you, but somehow he loves BvS. I personally can't understand it, but it goes to show you can't base your dislike of the film off it's predecessor.

And I doubt it would bring the storm you think it would. Personally, as long as no one is blatantly lying about or exaggerating events in the film to fit their narrative, I don't care what they score it. This film isn't gonna have as many defenders as MoS.

I suggest the UC though

#85 Edited by Lvenger (36338 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000: It's going to be 10 tomorrow, putting on the 90s Captain America movie and taking off Origins. As for your personal objectivity point, I can't really agree. Not only do I know what happens already through various spoiler filled plot summaries, reviews and videos, I knew I wasn't going to like what BvS was going to be with each trailer. I've read the discussions on here and other forum boards, talked about it with friends on Facebook and PMs and read various articles about what BvS did wrong. How am I uninformed on BvS when I know exactly what it entails? In fact, I found a...not proper link to the BvS theatrical cut that was filmed in China based on the subtitles and was almost going to watch it but didn't have time due to final uni coursework. Finding the full ultimate edition now will be a piece of cake. It would need to be the ultimate cut so I could address BvS as it's meant to be according to the fans. But I'm sure I don't have to remind you how scathing I can be of these things. My MOS review got to be my most commented blog because I was so critical of it and because its defenders came to refute my criticisms. There aren't as many BvS die hards but it would still cause more flame debacles.

#86 Posted by Rag_man (1378 posts) - - Show Bio

@toatoaa said:

MoS shouldn't be here imo

but other than that great list

I agree, it may have had it's flaws but MoS shouldn't be here.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
#87 Posted by buttersdaman000 (22747 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@buttersdaman000: It's going to be 10 tomorrow, putting on the 90s Captain America movie and taking off Origins. As for your personal objectivity point, I can't really agree. Not only do I know what happens already through various spoiler filled plot summaries, reviews and videos, I knew I wasn't going to like what BvS was going to be with each trailer. I've read the discussions on here and other forum boards, talked about it with friends on Facebook and PMs and read various articles about what BvS did wrong. How am I uninformed on BvS when I know exactly what it entails? In fact, I found a...not proper link to the BvS theatrical cut that was filmed in China based on the subtitles and was almost going to watch it but didn't have time due to final uni coursework. Finding the full ultimate edition now will be a piece of cake. It would need to be the ultimate cut so I could address BvS as it's meant to be according to the fans. But I'm sure I don't have to remind you how scathing I can be of these things. My MOS review got to be my most commented blog because I was so critical of it and because its defenders came to refute my criticisms. There aren't as many BvS die hards but it would still cause more flame debacles.

10 isn't any better. Man of Steel is really worse than Wolverine Origins to you? Lol and yeah, I understand all that but if you haven't seen it yourself, how could it be on your list? Whether or not you're 100% sure it's as bad as you say, you still haven't seen it. That would be like me making a top TV show of all time, and putting the Sopranos somewhere on the list. I've never seen the Sopranos fully, but based on clips, wikipedia, recommendations from dozens of people, and the general love for the series, I can see the merit. Still, it's disingenuous of me to comment on a series I have experienced for myself so I would leave it off.

#88 Posted by CyborgZod (954 posts) - - Show Bio

There's many worse movies than some on this list.

#89 Posted by MonsterStomp (36762 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: The only thing I can really agree with is the misrepresentation of Superman. I also agree with the poor pacing. But the cinematography was top notch. And the level of destruction was an accurate representation of powerleveling. I didn't find it over the top.

#90 Edited by Gracetrack (4638 posts) - - Show Bio

Heavy sigh at X-Men Origins, MoS, and BvS being on here when there are so many far, far worse CBMs out there.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
#91 Edited by Petey_is_Spidey (11559 posts) - - Show Bio

@jb681131 said:

@lvenger: Your list is your opinion, but to me you are listing disapointing movies not "worst" movies. People had high hopes for these movies and they came out so so. The real worst movies are so bad that you didn't event think of them, because they have been forgoten.

In no order:

• Thor 1
  • Catwoman
  • Electra
  • Fantastic 4 (2015)
  • Howard the Duck
  • The incredible Hulk
  • Iron man 2
  • Son of the Mask
  • Monkeybone
  • El Muerto (aka The Dead One)
  • Punisher: War zone
  • Superman IV
  • The Spirit
  • TMNT III
  • Virus
  • Bad Kids go to hell
  • Garfield the movie
  • The Smurfs 1&2

This is spot on.

When people usually make these "Worst CBMs ever", what they really mean is "Most disappointing CBMs". As you pointed out, there are CBMs far, FAR worse.

#92 Posted by BurningMartian (884 posts) - - Show Bio

You... you liked Geoff's GL run? I lost track somewhere between the billionth retcon.

Avatar image for deactivated-57dee37b806a4
#93 Posted by deactivated-57dee37b806a4 (136 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice List!

Avatar image for the_man_with_questions
#94 Posted by The_Man_With_Questions (2707 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm. Surprised the first Superman move isn't on here. I personally thought that it was pretty terrible.

#95 Posted by phantomjolt (727 posts) - - Show Bio

The transformers movies should be on here so much waisted potential amd all we get is micheal bay fetishizing young women (looking at you age of extinction)

#96 Posted by Lvenger (36338 posts) - - Show Bio

@omnicrono: @petey_is_spidey I have already explained why I put MOS and BvS on this list more than once, I'm not bashing either of you for having low opinions of films I like (more for Petey than Omni) There are plenty of bad low budget/cheesy/terrible American CBMs (and some European ones, Italian Spider-Man is so bad it's good material though) but I have major problems with what MOS and BvS introduced. And hey if a couple more bad movies come along MOS gets bumped out the top 10.

@lvenger said:

10 isn't any better. Man of Steel is really worse than Wolverine Origins to you? Lol and yeah, I understand all that but if you haven't seen it yourself, how could it be on your list? Whether or not you're 100% sure it's as bad as you say, you still haven't seen it. That would be like me making a top TV show of all time, and putting the Sopranos somewhere on the list. I've never seen the Sopranos fully, but based on clips, wikipedia, recommendations from dozens of people, and the general love for the series, I can see the merit. Still, it's disingenuous of me to comment on a series I have experienced for myself so I would leave it off.

I'm sure you know why I don't like MOS at this point so I shouldn't need to repeat myself. I can see the merits of the Sopronos too but I don't know enough about the Sopronos to make it a fave TV show without watching it. In this context I do know a great deal about it already. My point was meant to be that if you truly want to play the disingenuous card, if I were to watch BvS, I would want to review it and it would be a review more critical than my MOS one was. Which would rustle the few BvS defenders on here and be more negative than positive. I'll promise I won't do this with Justice League or future DC films no matter how bad it is but BvS is staying regardless if I watch it all the way through or not.

You... you liked Geoff's GL run? I lost track somewhere between the billionth retcon.

Yeah I liked it, I liked what Geoff did for the Green Lantern mythology and world building. The emotional spectrum was a stroke of genius IMO I can see the retcons point working against it but Johns usually handled those retcons decently. It wouldn't be considered the new groundwork for Green Lantern if it wasn't good for many.

The transformers movies should be on here so much waisted potential amd all we get is micheal bay fetishizing young women (looking at you age of extinction)

Is that based on a comic? I always thought the cartoons came first.

Hmm. Surprised the first Superman move isn't on here. I personally thought that it was pretty terrible.

I'm tempted to post a Get out gif on here but I'll hold that in. I love the first Superman movie, it's my favourite of CBMs. It did the origin, backstory and early days of Superman incredibly well, and the first two thirds of the film is brilliant viewing. I could understand disliking the other 3 Superman movies but the original did something special.

Avatar image for the_man_with_questions
#97 Posted by The_Man_With_Questions (2707 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: TBH? I wasn't a fan. Superman felt like stalker, a lot of it was pretty boring, and the ending made me die from cringe. Turning back time by flying backwards? OK.

My favorite CBM is the second Superman movie. It was fun, Superman didn't feel like a stalker, the essence of that era's version of Clark felt like it had really be captured, and as a kid I always loved Clark's fight with General Zod and his lackeys.

#98 Posted by Lvenger (36338 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_man_with_questions: Hmm so that's your problems with it. Fair enough then, the flying round the Earth criticism is a pretty major one.

#99 Posted by phantomjolt (727 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: you are correct the tv show did come before the comic my bad. Great list by the way lvenger do you have a list for worst animated superhero series or movies.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
#100 Posted by infantfinite128 (5774 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: Would you consider doing a top 10 favorite superhero animated series list?

@lvenger: you are correct the tv show did come before the comic my bad. Great list by the way lvenger do you have a list for worst animated superhero series or movies.