#1 Posted by Kidolio (288 posts) - - Show Bio

Deku didn’t really know if his friend was in danger so he tried to find him and when he did he saw killer trying to kill his friend so he retaliated and Todoroki just didn’t know until he was in the fight. They were either protecting their friend or protecting themselves which should count as legal. What do you think?

#2 Posted by jashro44 (50775 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree. They might have had a defense had it ended up in court. But it never did.

#3 Edited by Kidolio (288 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44: Yeah I don’t know why those two got in trouble especially todoroki but ilda definitely should get in trouble.

#4 Posted by TheVivas (18757 posts) - - Show Bio

The way the “hero” laws are set up kind of screwed them over for doing the right thing.

#5 Posted by Kidolio (288 posts) - - Show Bio

@thevivas: I think the law says that you can protect yourself and others with your quirck if necessary so I don’t know why they’re in trouble.

#6 Posted by StormShadow_X (15595 posts) - - Show Bio

Small plot hole that in hindsight doesn't make sense.

#7 Posted by Kidolio (288 posts) - - Show Bio

@stormshadow_x: Some people do have points but I don’t remember them.

#8 Edited by Jgames (7816 posts) - - Show Bio

They are not in the US, so unfortunately they do not have the right to self-defense with quirk. As we all know, the only way to beat a villain with a quirk, its a hero with a quirk (get the joke, is a gun policy joke).

#9 Posted by Hypnos0929 (6151 posts) - - Show Bio

They definitely weren't at fault, except Mr. Goody two engines on his legs. As for stain, I'm surprised Endeavor didn't just roast him mid speech.

#10 Edited by Aros001 (3335 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Gran Torino said something along the lines of "For better or worse, we live in an era of repression." With the majority of humans on Earth having superpowers that can be used to easily injure or kill, they do likely have stricter laws and policies to keep everything from spiraling into chaos.

Midoriya was doing the right thing trying to save Iida and Native, but he didn't attack Stain out of self-defense, nor did Todoroki. They were using their powers to assault another human being. I'm not saying it's right that the law might still condemn them despite the context of the situation, but I am saying that I get why.

With how regulated Quirks are, it seems like even the police are not allowed to use their own powers when apprehending criminals to the same extent Pro Heroes are allowed to. The government wants to hold people accountable and prevent vigilantes, mostly, again, to prevent the chaos of everyone using their powers however they want like in the old days, before Pros and the rise of All For One.

#11 Edited by Kidolio (288 posts) - - Show Bio

@aros001: Are you saying attacking a known killer in the act was wrong of them because I’m quite sure the law was that you can protect others with your quirk when needed. What was midoriya suppose to do stand there while stain stabs ilda to death or todoroki stands there while stain kills midoriya, native, and ilda the tell everybody that he was just following the law. Not accusing you just saying that’s really messed up if that’s the law.

Edit: That would be a really irrational law because the government is basically stopping people from helping each other and giving criminals a free pass to kill somebody who can’t escape from them.

#12 Posted by Aros001 (3335 posts) - - Show Bio

@kidolio said:

@aros001: Are you saying attacking a known killer in the act was wrong of them because I’m quite sure the law was that you can protect others with your quirk when needed. What was midoriya suppose to do stand there while stain stabs ilda to death or todoroki stands there while stain kills midoriya, native, and ilda the tell everybody that he was just following the law. Not accusing you just saying that’s really messed up if that’s the law.

Edit: That would be a really irrational law because the government is basically stopping people from helping each other and giving criminals a free pass to kill somebody who can’t escape from them.

Well, one thing to remember too is that MHA does seem to take place many years in the future, with the reason that technology and society stalled for a long time was because of all the chaos Quirks created when they first started appearing. They had to rewrite and create a lot of new laws with Quirks in mind. Because of the variety of Quirks and varying dangers, that's why I imagine their laws are stricter than our current ones are (also remember that there's a difference in laws between Japan, where MHA primarily takes place, and the USA, which is the mindset we're looking at this from).

Remember when Shigaraki had Midoriya by the throat back at the mall, he pointed out that causing the crowds to panic would get people killed, not just because of him but because almost everyone in their world has some kind of superpower that could be used to easily hurt, wound, or kill. It'd be like if everyone in our world was born with a gun as part of their body, but the gun-types vary from person to person, as does the ammo, ranging from squirt-guns to bazookas. And you don't even have to pull the gun out or pull the trigger to use it.

In the case of Stain, Iida deliberately went out looking for Stain and Midoriya went out looking for him, mostly because he figured Iida was after Stain. By the law's eyes, they went out looking for trouble, not the other way around. And Midoriya and Todoroki both threw the first punch against Stain. He didn't attack them first. They were defending their friend but they can't claim they were acting in self-defense.

I'm not saying the laws of MHA are perfect or even completely rational, they're not. My main viewpoint is that Quirks have turned their world into such a powder keg that the government and society is trying extremely hard to keep things under control and order to prevent it from spiraling into chaos again like the old days. If people with powers just started doing whatever they want, and thinking it's fine so long as things go their way in the end, that's a slippery slope and why they were so hard on Midoriya and Iida, even though morally they WERE in the right to try and save their friend by fighting Stain.

I think that's why they have so many Pro Heroes. So that they'll have trained professionals who can quickly respond and rush in to deal with the problem before an untrained citizen might have to use their own powers to deal with it. Pro Heroes are much lower risk of the slippery slope. Keep in mind that had Iida not been trying to find Stain to begin with, the only person who would have been in trouble was Native; a Pro Hero who knew the risks of his job and had training to not lose control of himself. There was no one else in Stain's immediate area and a lot of other Pro Heroes nearby dealing with the Nomus.

#13 Posted by Kidolio (288 posts) - - Show Bio

@aros001: So I guess the people who made that law are completely stupid because they’re basically saying you can kill somebody with your quirk if you’re a criminal and nobody should intervene and let them die if they can’t defend themselves. Doesn’t Japan have the Good Samaritan law?

#14 Posted by Aros001 (3335 posts) - - Show Bio

@kidolio said:

@aros001: So I guess the people who made that law are completely stupid because they’re basically saying you can kill somebody with your quirk if you’re a criminal and nobody should intervene and let them die if they can’t defend themselves. Doesn’t Japan have the Good Samaritan law?

Well, a quick Google search and it seems like they do have that law: https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1009854.

But again, remember the context of the situation. Iida and Midoriya both deliberately went out looking for Stain (in Midoriya's case it was to save Iida). They didn't stumble across Stain attacking Native or hear Native calling for help.

But a big thing to remember is that, in the end, the three students did not get in any legal trouble, and the only condition for that was to forsake any fame they might have gotten for taking down Stain. And I personally think that if it was anyone other than Stain, the police wouldn't have made such a big deal about it. I think that they were more just worried that the news of three unlicensed students taking down one of the most wanted villains at the time would encourage more unlicensed people to try and be vigilantes.

Like if Midoriya and Todoroki had saved Iida from the Sludge Villain from the first two episodes, I don't think the subject of the law would have come up, because they entire country doesn't have their eye on the Sludge Villain and his methods like they were with Stain.