Must-read Marvel stories.

JimTheSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JimTheSurfer

Can you guys (and girls) reccomend me some must-read Marvel stories, that has a huge impact on some Marvel characters or the whole Marvel universe? Like Death of Gwen Stacy, Avengers VS X-men and something like that.

JimTheSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By JimTheSurfer

BUMP

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3  Edited By Timandm

This is a hard one to answer... Comic book continuity gets changed so often, that stories that were once important, no longer are...

But... Significant stories.... That's an excellent question... So, some suggestions off the top of my head.

1: Avengers Disassembled. (I think it's only four issues long)

2: House of M

3: Marvel Civil War

4: The 198

5: Siege

6: Avengers: The Initiative

Some story arcs or events are much adieu about nothing but they do explain a few changes

Schism - Cyclops and Wolverine have a falling out and Wolverine leaves Utopia and reopens the school in Westchester. Everything else about the story is stupid, pointless, and doesn't make much sense.

Spider-Isand - A lot of people in Manhattan suddenly have Spider-powers.. Some act bad, some act good. They all start turning into spiders... Then Peter Parker "nerds up" (as M.J. says) and injects everyone with a cure... then they wake up naked and healthy... The end... Although, this does lead into "The Scarlet Spider", a series I like...

A v X - Stupidity and ... um.. stupidity and more stupidity... Crap served on a plate of crap, complimented with a side of crap... Captain America turns into a facist, comes up with the brilliant idea that he can possibly hide a girl (Hope - a citizen of the country of Utopia) from the Phoenix Force which could find her anywhere in the multiverse. So, he and the Avengers INVADE another country WITHOUT a declaration of War by Congress (which is illegal)... They do this to kidnap Hope... They fail... Later, Tony Stark (Doom Lite) builds a gun that splits the Phoenix into five portions which are then forced onto five unsuspecting mutants; Cyclops, Emma Frost, Collosus, Magik, and Namor. The Phoenix Five proceed to give the earth clean water, free energy, and free food. They also bring an end to things like war and wholesale slaughter. The Avengers, can't put up with all that wonton peace and good will, so they continue attacking the Phoenix Five.... Eventually, the inevitable happens and the Phoenix force turns the Phoenix Five into tyrants. Of course, that process is encouraged and sped up by the constant unwarranted attacks by the Avengers.... Eventually Cyclops ends up with all of the Phoenix Force in him... This happens when the Avengers invade Utopia the second time and try to kill him. Hawkeye actually shoots and arrow into Scott's neck... and (BIG SURPRISE HERE) Scott fights back and kills professor X... Hope takes the Phoenix Force from Cyclops... Restores mutant kind... and makes the Phoenix Force go away.. the end... Now you don't have to waste money on it.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How far back you want to go? "Death of Gwen Stacy" is from 1973 (or so) and the 2 issues (ASM 121-122) would cost you at least $300 to get in half-way decent condition. I'm not sure if they have a TPB for that arc or not. (Just looked it up..they do have a TPB)

The Dark Phoenix Saga. (X-Men) This they do have in TPB. It's from, I think, 1980. (X-Men 129-138. Again..single issues would be very expensive.)

Elektra Saga. Frank Miller's Daredevil run. A few years later he did a story arc for Daredevil called "Born again." (Early 80's again) This is what made Daredevil a dark character. (Though Waid has lightened him up some.) His run starts in Daredevil #158 (as the artist only) and ends. I think in #191. "Born Again" is Daredevil #227-233. Both available in TPB.

Spider-man's "symbiote" costume. Which leads to the creation of Venom, eventually. Starts in Amazing Spider-man #252. Venom himself appears in Amazing Spider-man #299.

Peter David and Todd McFarlane's "Incredible Hulk" run. (#331-346..I think David wrote until issue 350) no more "Hulk Smash"

A look at Banner's abusive child-hood, and his fight to overcome the personality of the Hulk..meanwhile..Hulk is trying to not turn back into Banner, who he see as inferior.

JimTheSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JimTheSurfer

@Timandm: @Manwhohaseverything: Thank you very much. I'll see into these.

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By Timandm

@Manwhohaseverything said:

How far back you want to go? "Death of Gwen Stacy" is from 1973 (or so) and the 2 issues (ASM 121-122) would cost you at least $300 to get in half-way decent condition. I'm not sure if they have a TPB for that arc or not. (Just looked it up..they do have a TPB)

The Dark Phoenix Saga. (X-Men) This they do have in TPB. It's from, I think, 1980. (X-Men 129-138. Again..single issues would be very expensive.)

Elektra Saga. Frank Miller's Daredevil run. A few years later he did a story arc for Daredevil called "Born again." (Early 80's again) This is what made Daredevil a dark character. (Though Waid has lightened him up some.) His run starts in Daredevil #158 (as the artist only) and ends. I think in #191. "Born Again" is Daredevil #227-233. Both available in TPB.

Spider-man's "symbiote" costume. Which leads to the creation of Venom, eventually. Starts in Amazing Spider-man #252. Venom himself appears in Amazing Spider-man #299.

Peter David and Todd McFarlane's "Incredible Hulk" run. (#331-346..I think David wrote until issue 350) no more "Hulk Smash"

A look at Banner's abusive child-hood, and his fight to overcome the personality of the Hulk..meanwhile..Hulk is trying to not turn back into Banner, who he see as inferior.

You sound like you've been reading comics for a long while... yes?

Avatar image for rideaspacecowboy
RideASpaceCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 98

#7  Edited By RideASpaceCowboy

Off the top of my head (in alphabetical order, and limited to series I've read)...

• All-New X-Men (current ongoing)
  • Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  • Civil War
  • New Avengers: Sentry
  • New X-Men: E is for Extinction
  • New X-Men: Riot at Xavier's
  • New X-Men: Planter X
  • New X-Men: Here Comes Tomorrow
  • The Sentry (Marvel Knights mini-series)
  • The Ultimates
  • The Ultimates 2
  • X-Men: Fatal Attractions (particularlyissue #25, Dreams Fade)
Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Timandm said:

@Manwhohaseverything said:

You sound like you've been reading comics for a long while... yes?

I'm one of the oder viners, I'd think. I started reading comics regularly about 1972. Now, it hasn't been continuos. I've had to take several breaks due to finances So the late 70's and early 90's have a lot of holes.