Most powerful characters from other Fantasy settings that Geralt of Rivia can beat?

• 68 results
Vulkanian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Geralt isn’t beating 90% of Warcraft characters. He only has a chance against low tier fodder.

Hell, there’s fodder that would smack Geralt and most of the Witcherverse, such as Fel Reavers.

Anything that’s around Saurfang level or higher would stomp him. The only named character who isn’t one note that he could stand a chance against would probably be Anduin.

MErulezall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By MErulezall

@wut: I'd have to look into more, but Paladin Arthas for starters in his novel could fight well beyond tired, and what I mean is that. Is the light like for Uther and others granted increased Stamina. On top of that his aura gave his men the same ability just by being near him.

Actually got sometime and found it,

Arthas had no idea how long he had been fighting. He swung his hammer almost ceaselessly, his arms shaking from the strain, his lungs burning. It was only the power of the Light, flowing through him with quiet strength and steadiness, that kept him and his men on their feet. The undead seemed to be weakened by its power, although that seemed to be their only weakness. Only a clean kill—Arthas fleetingly wondered if you could call it a “kill” if they were already dead—stopped them in their tracks

-Arthas: Rise of the Lich King

In addition, despite the countless waves of undead,

They just kept coming. Wave after wave of them. His subjects—his people—turned into these things.

-Arthas: Rise of the Lich King

At the age of 19 was considered,

Arthas, had grown into a strong, confident young man. The young Prince was trained as a warrior by Muradin Bronzebeard – brother to King Magni of Ironforge – and despite his youth, was considered to be one of the finest swordsmen in Lordaeron. At the tender age of nineteen

-Warcraft III Manual

While at the court of Lordaeron, Muradin befriended the youthful Arthas and taught him how to master fighting blades of every type.

-Warcraft III Manual

They didn't lose a single soldier due to the buff of the paladin's power. The Light also weakening the undead as well, but still. I'd have to re-read more as well along with other novels, but this one kind of stood out when i read it last. However, he's also done fairly well against Illidan sword or no sword, his fighting skills are still there. We also know he spanked Sylvanas in CQC, which isnt super duper op, but still good enough to content with most as Sylvanas and many others like her in the High Elven elite were vets from the Second War, especially against the trolls. IIRC Sylvanas gets some decent feats in her newest book with her two other sisters, but nothing as good as what shes gotten recently.

decaf_wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@merulezall: Arths spanked Sylvanas because he was so fast and strong compared to her and had Frostmourne. That wasn't raw skill

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 76

@merulezall: All of that is decent, and indicates superior stamina, but if he didn't beat Sylvanas until after he got Frostmourne (which was around the time he went from Paladin to Death Knight), then I don't think it applies to Paladin Arthas, who used a Warhammer or non-Frostmourne sword. And while he might have better stamina then Geralt, if he's not as skilled or physically powerful, it won't matter, since he'll lose to Geralt before he can just outlast him.

At least, that's where I'm standing for now. I'm willing to change my mind on this if we can get more feats for Paladin Arthas.

Also, @merulezall, who do you think are the best characters from Warhammer Fantasy, LotR, and D&D that Geralt can beat? Because that is sort of the point of the thread; naming the best characters from each of those settings that Geralt can take.

Warlockmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 3

@wut: you know i come back to this thread... do you think Geralt would have any chance against Prince Sigvald the Magnificent or no? i'd have to think no but the matchup peaked my interest

Wut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@warlockmage: It... maybe? Sigvald is weird... I imagine it would depend on how serious Sigvald took the fight and... man, I'd need to do some digging because its been a long time since I read his novel or paid Sigvald much mind.

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MErulezall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By MErulezall

@shroudofsorrow said:

@merulezall: All of that is decent, and indicates superior stamina, but if he didn't beat Sylvanas until after he got Frostmourne (which was around the time he went from Paladin to Death Knight), then I don't think it applies to Paladin Arthas, who used a Warhammer or non-Frostmourne sword. And while he might have better stamina then Geralt, if he's not as skilled or physically powerful, it won't matter, since he'll lose to Geralt before he can just outlast him.

At least, that's where I'm standing for now. I'm willing to change my mind on this if we can get more feats for Paladin Arthas.

Also, @merulezall, who do you think are the best characters from Warhammer Fantasy, LotR, and D&D that Geralt can beat? Because that is sort of the point of the thread; naming the best characters from each of those settings that Geralt can take.

The thing is though, he's a paladin. Paladin's are known for self amps and are known for combining a magic of a priest with the skill of a knight. That is the entire point of a Paladin. What made this special was that arthas at the very young age of 19 was skilled in all weapons used for wars that consisted of melee weapons. He goes on to kill plenty of beings ranging from orcs, to trolls, to undead, to elves, to just about everything. Frostmourne did not amp his skill was my point. His skill was already there. It's like me giving you a sword, just a regular sword and having you fight me with it. In turn with my power hammer i disarm you and then bash your brains in.

Now if I gave you a lightsaber and assuming that hammer doesn't get cut in half as it is lightsaber resistant, does your skill set suddenly change? No, because at the end of the day the saber, just liek frostmourne did not change arthas' skill. You could argue that arthas uses his warhammer not as good as a sword, but nevertheless his skill is still there. It's not like a Runefang, where it boosts not only your stats, but your skills as well. I'll look up more quotes tomorrow, but I can't promise anything as books are tedious and take a good amount of time to actually re-read and quote.

Overall for the list you gave, I think wut gave a pretty decent listing of whom Geralt can or can't beat. Imo I'd agree with him on everything except the fact that Geralt would one shot; Grimgor, Gotreks, and Crom. All at once, without breaking a sweat. @wut Its okay, you can cry now knowing that those three scumbags would all die to the most boring character in the fantasy setting ever. :p

Warlockmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 3

@wut said:

@warlockmage: It... maybe? Sigvald is weird... I imagine it would depend on how serious Sigvald took the fight and... man, I'd need to do some digging because its been a long time since I read his novel or paid Sigvald much mind.

right i think the same thing Sigvald is one of my lesser known favorites BUT he is a hard guy to place

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By shroudofsorrow

@merulezall: Fair enough. I guess I just assumed that he was weaker as a Paladin then he was as a Death Knight.

I don't think Geralt is boring though. On the contrary I think he's one of the best HF characters ever. But then, I'm a big Witcher fan. Fingers crossed that the Netflix show will actually be good.

Wut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@merulezall: You say that but look me in the eye and tell me you wouldn't want to see Gotrek in the witcher verse.. see him walking through a village and just wait for the first drunk racist villager to say something about dwarfs... And without Felix there to stop him?

No Caption Provided

@warlockmage:Yea.. cause he was fighting a losing duel against Krell [which doesn't matter too much as Krell is outside of Geralt's league anyways] and once he sees himself as disfigured by Krell [Guy slowly regenerates, so it woulda healed sooner or later] he goes berserk and beats down Krell with his bare hands.... I mean, just hanging with Krell makes me inclined to think Sigvald would win unless he was worried about breaking a nail [which, IIRC, was a thing] and Berserk!Sigvald would easily take it.

@shroudofsorrow: He is a character that was, literally, made to have so little emotion or feels to better allow the reader, and in turn player, to put their face over his. They made an in-universe reason for why he is so bland. I think the mere fact that exist bars him from being 'one of the best high fantasies characters'. But everyone has their own taste and what not and nothing wrong with liking him.

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wut: Stoic=/=boring or bland. That he's not constantly cracking jokes or is super emotional doesn't preclude him from being interesting. I like his deadpan and cold-blooded personality, which also makes sense given his lifestyle and profession. Honestly I kind of see him as being a bit like Craig's James Bond except in a Fantasy setting; outwardly cold-blooded and ruthless, but having a sense of right and wrong plus being a total ladies' man. Doesn't seem boring to me.

MErulezall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shroudofsorrow said:

@merulezall: Fair enough. I guess I just assumed that he was weaker as a Paladin then he was as a Death Knight.

I don't think Geralt is boring though. On the contrary I think he's one of the best HF characters ever. But then, I'm a big Witcher fan. Fingers crossed that the Netflix show will actually be good.

He certainly is, as Arthas isn't Uther in the fact Uther can draw upon the light to increase his stats and magic to punish some undead goons, Arthas can but not to the extent of Uther. Its just Arthas' fight skill didnt increase with that blade. I might of as the Lich King since its now two minds molded into one, but its unlikely as the Lich King was more of a mage, aka an orc mage cause believe it or not the Lich king is actually an orc.

Netflix show looks really good. I hope its good as well, but I really wish Henry also played superman to as he did a wonderful job as a superman.

Wut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Wut

@shroudofsorrow: Uh, no. Gotrek is stoic and I adore him. However, it is a lore stated fact that Witchers don't feel much anymore due to their mutations. He isn't 'stoic'. He straight out doesn't feel a lot of what normal people do.

But lets look at Gotrek. He is a stoic dwarf, however, because he is a dwarf its hard for the reader to truly relate, thus, Felix, a relateable human companion that we see the story from which is what makes that extremely long and popular book series they have work [Dang thing is like 20 novels now].

They did the opposite with Geralt. Instead of giving someone you can relate to and see the story though.. they made him rather boring and plain, and in doing so, you can put your face over his. Don't be surprised, this is a common thing to do. People love Revan, despite what we actually have written on him being horrible. People like Commander Shepard despite Shepard being whomever you want them to be. People naturally love characters they can slap their own face over because it makes them feel like this character is 'theirs'. They can create bonds and connections that aren't really there.

So, you liking him is fine. You having the opinion that he is one of the best HF characters, while an opinion that is, imo, horribly wrong and you should read more HF like Codex Alera [Tavi is such a better character] it is your opinion to hold.

the_wspanialy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By the_wspanialy

LotR - Geralt vs Talion is an even split for me.

D&D - I'm not really familiar with post-Spellplague content. I think Geralt would beat pre-Spellplague Entreri in an excellent fight.

I have next to no knowledge about either Warhammer or Warcraft.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wut said:

Yea... the weird problem is cause of equipment. Like, Geralt has better stats then say, an Empire Elector Count or even people like Kurt Helborg, but the problem is his gear just.. sucks. Compared to their Runefangs which amp them and even do things like subtlety hijack their bodies to guide their blows and make them better warriors, its pretty much taking a sword up against a lightsaber. If those blades touch from a parry or anything, Geralt loses his sword. But I'm willing to say he could probably take on Kurt with his signs and pull out a win so long as he knows Kurt is walking around with a lightsaber.

This is true. Warhammer has some crazy magic weapons in it. Even comparatively less special weapons like Runefangs are pretty potent.

Geralt has a chance if he gets information ahead of time and prep with his potions. But it says a lot that he needs to treat skilled humans in the Warhammer universe the same way he does supernatural monsters in his as far as threat level goes.

I'm not sure there are enough potions in the entire Witcher world to make him able to put up a fight against something like Grimgor though.

Wut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@metaljimmor: I now have the hilarious image of Geralt dragging an IV stand behind him packed full of various potions and trying to hack away at Grimgor's thigh.

Thoromdil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Thoromdil

Geralt really is wanked waaaay too much. I mean against beasts he is pretty convincing and has solid feats. He is a beast hunter after all. But against other fanasy characters, I would put him below the likes of composite LotR Aragorn, and even mid-tier D&D heroes such as Wulfgar would probably one shot him. He is not a duelist. In Warcraft he wouldn't go far as well. Geralt really is just a street level beast hunter with some tiny hax. He is cool, but that's no reason to put him so high on the fantasy character charts.