Most overrated horror movie of 2022?

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

For me, it's definitely Skinamarink. I tried everything to make this damn movie scarier, even tried watching it at night with no lights on in order to make the experience more immersive, but didn't work. To a self-proclaimed movie that considers itself the scariest of the year, it failed to deliver that.

Wushu59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Wushu59

Never heard of this movie. I thought 2022 was pretty good year for horror though. You had Pearl, X, The Hatching, Barbarian, Hellbender, Scream 5. Black Phone was released in American theaters 2022 even though is technically 2021. Orphan First Kill and Smile came out too but those aren't everybody's cup of tea.

If I had to pick an "overrated" Horror movie this year, I'd probably say Smile.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only saw Nope and The Black Phone, and enjoyed both.

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wushu59: It's meant to be an experimental and "cult" horror movie, but in the end, it was straight up terrible.

Loading Video...

Wushu59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wushu59: And it is. It's supposed to be similar to the found footage genre.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@andromeda1001: I mean, Found Footage is kind of inherently bad. Chronicle is the only good found footage style movie I can think of, and even with that, I don't even think the Found Footage angle was necessary.

mr-yes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They were both very good indeed. Which did you prefer? For me it was Black Phone

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsu-san: That one promised to be a different kind of project than the usual ones, but again, failed at that.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mr-yes said:
@mrmonster said:

They were both very good indeed. Which did you prefer? For me it was Black Phone

Same. I preferred The Black Phone.

Avatar image for kryptonianking88
KryptonianKing88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X was TCM without any fun characters. Speaking of which, TCM 2022 was way overhated. Very entertaining slasher imo

ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grimcutty one of the stupidest movies I have watched in my life

krisbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14 krisbishop  Moderator

Smile was pretty overrated.

Italian007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scream 5 may have been the worst movie I’ve ever seen, and that’s the only horror movie that came out this year that I saw

D00mSlayer1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Prey wasn’t even that good. To me, it’s the same shit as literally all the other movies in the franchise. Especially when the Predator always dies by the end, which has become a tradition at this point. Just once I’d like to see a movie where the Predator wins and actually gets away at the end.

Wushu59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Wushu59

Hmm. Interesting. I really loved Prey but don't consider it a horror movie. Easily the best one in the franchise since the original.

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

@krisbishop: Agreed. Wasn't there a similar movie where people would do this ominous grin?

D00mSlayer1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EcoBlitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wushu59: barbarian was so brain dead in reference to the character’s choice of action and completely absence of self preservation that I simply couldn’t get I to it and was just laughing and confused.

A_FINE_EDITION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Smile. Great ending, but everything leading up to that wasn't scary at all. Too long, too boring, not scary enough and at times even unwillingly funny. The ending does save the movie a little bit though.

Really? I hated the ending. All that overcoming of trauma stuff, only for her to lose to the demon anyway for some stupid reason. I would've much preferred if the ex-boyfriend cop shot and killed her at the end to stop her from killing herself and thus ending the cycle. I'm pretty sure it would've worked and honestly would've been a nice "double-twist." I'm sick and tired of horror movies constantly letting the monster get away with it and win.

A_FINE_EDITION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallacyoverlord: I disagree wholeheartedly. The twist comes out of absolutely nowhere and seems to run contrary to the theme of the movie. What was the point of overcoming the trauma if the monster just kills you anyway? Voorhees constantly comes back from the dead. Same with Myers. Those guys are like the pinnacle of villains that can never truly lose. I really don't get how this movie subverted expectations. My expectation going into horror is that the monster always survives and probably wins, or at the least lives to fight another day, while the protagonists are left waiting in paranoia and dread for the day it finally returns. The guy with the gun could've saved the entire movie if they just let him shoot her and break the cycle. One last twist at the end would've saved the entire movie for me. Not that I much cared for it to begin with, but a definitive, solid conclusion would've been nice.

Wushu59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ecoblitz said:

@wushu59: barbarian was so brain dead in reference to the character’s choice of action and completely absence of self preservation that I simply couldn’t get I to it and was just laughing and confused.

The first half was definitely better then the second half. I loved the initial shock value of it but it probably wouldn't be as strong on rewatch. lol

A_FINE_EDITION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallacyoverlord: why wouldn’t it have worked? It transfers by killing its host in front of people. If anything the protagonist actually did something smart by secluding herself in her old home so no one else would be around to witness the suicide should it happen. I didn’t really think a lot of the character decisions were stupid.

I kind of agree that it wasn’t THAT great of a movie, and I would not be interested in a sequel, but the “twist” at the end was just lame. And worse, they could’ve genuinely made it work if they did another reversal and the cop used his brain. Instead the protagonist dies and the cop is doomed.

krisbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28 krisbishop  Moderator

I hated the ending. All that overcoming of trauma stuff, only for her to lose to the demon anyway for some stupid reason.

Agreed. The entire theme of the movie becomes meaningless when overcoming her trauma and past led to nothing. Felt like an extremely cheap twist.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsu-san: End of Watch is definitely the best found footage film I've seen. So it can be good if done right.

arctika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By arctika

They/Them, saw hype for this watched and was like what is this trash.

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Hellraiser.