Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

The Avengers

No Caption Provided

DAM THE SHIELDS!
DAM THE SHIELDS!

As much as I love the movie The Dark Knight was kind've overrated.

I mean Joker, Two Face, and Gordon are spot on as always but Bale as Batman is so...eh

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

The Dark Knight. Heath Ledger essentially carried the whole film.

Agreed.

I really don't know why most of the posts here calling Avengers the most overrated have their whole argument revolving around the basis of the film being "fun". What's wrong with a comic book movie being fun? I read comics because it feels great to immerse myself in a fun world of superheroes. I'm not in a contest of trying to find a comic with whom broods the most. I rather have a fun comic book movie like Avengers that stays true to its characters and source material than a movie like Man of Steel that gives us the brooding and gloom that we all want along with going against its source material and meaning behind its title character in a superficial attempt to be deep and thought provoking. You guys can keep that for yourselves. I'll continue enjoying my fun movies.

Very good point.

@jaken7 said:

@farkam: Nokia of Steel.

Did you know that MoS featured $160,000,000 worth of product placement? 94 companies total! That's more than every film in history.

Lol damn.

@shenkuei said:

Batman Begins for me.

I just didn't like it much. It was very flawed IMO. Dark Knight was far better for me. DKR was also better although DKR isn't that great either.

How so?

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@shenkuei said:

Batman Begins for me.

I just didn't like it much. It was very flawed IMO. Dark Knight was far better for me. DKR was also better although DKR isn't that great either.

Ironic, I actually found Batman Begins the most character developing film for Bruce Wayne, and the true "Batman" film of the Dark Knight trilogy.

ShenKuei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@wolverine08: Weird, it didn't feel anything like a Batman movie to me. I agree it gave Bruce Wayne the most development but I wasn't a huge fan of Bale's performance (he got slightly better later on). He was just lacking intensity IMO.

@farkam: I remember the fight scenes being really hard to follow. I thought Scarecrow was lame as a villain and Ra's abrely had any screen time. Bale wasn't a convincing Batman imo (he only got slightly better as the trilogy went on). Dialogue was awkward and unnatural. Seemed to be trying too hard to be "mature". Most of all, it didn't feel anything like a Batman movie to me.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't know why most of the posts here calling Avengers the most overrated have their whole argument revolving around the basis of the film being "fun". What's wrong with a comic book movie being fun? I read comics because it feels great to immerse myself in a fun world of superheroes. I'm not in a contest of trying to find a comic with whom broods the most. I rather have a fun comic book movie like Avengers that stays true to its characters and source material than a movie like Man of Steel that gives us the brooding and gloom that we all want along with going against its source material and meaning behind its title character in a superficial attempt to be deep and thought provoking. You guys can keep that for yourselves. I'll continue enjoying my fun movies.

I can't speak for everyone else, but the Avengers being a fun movie was never a failing. I absolutely love fun movies - my problem was (and please no one take this over-sensitively) that the movie was, frankly, shallow. After the first time I saw it, I realized I had no idea what the plot was. In general, that is never a good sigh. Everything is rushed together. Loki it a joke (in a morbid way) and the Chitauri are ineffective besides shooting cars and attacking four street blocks or so, in spite of having a planet invading army. There's never any real sense of urgency - prime example being the mechanical situation during the whole attack on the Helicarrier. There's more I could say, but they're all along the same general point.

Again, this does not mean the movie was bad! It was fun, vibrant and engaging. An excellent popcorn flick. And not to be forgotten, it was an ensemble superhero team movie. But that said, it was still overrated for what it was. Honest Trailers said it well, the excitement blinds fans to a lot of legit criticism.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avengers. Definitely Avengers.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Cloakx14

the Avengers. its a fun film but i think its more of a family film. not like Mos or batman or any DC film.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#59  Edited By LyraFay

Oh, I've expounded on this before, but my vote will probably always go The Avengers. My main sticking point being the lackluster villain(s), and why I will always like MOS so much more, despite it's flaws. We all know the good guy wins..it's what super-heroes ultimately do, they win. But I at least like to feel, if only briefly, that the villain is an actual threat. In The Avengers, Loki wasn't. Not for me anyhow. The Avengers had more problems with each other than with Loki. His "army" was a joke. (Shades of Stormtroopers) In the end, he was such a non-threat, his defeat was comic-fodder. Faora, by herself, was more of a threat, much less if you throw in Zod. It's like "Wow, villains that act..you know..villainous!" Actual stakes in play! Now, I guess technically, you could say the stakes were high in The Avengers, but they did such a poor job of making anyone I know feel that way. Even people who liked the film describe it as "fun". That's all good and well, but hardly grounds to call it great. In fact, out of Marvel movies, both Marvel Studios and ones made by Fox, I'd rate The Avengers about 7th or 8th.

I agree, seriously after watching The Avengers again I'm pretty sure an normal citizen could defeat that alien army. Faora was particularly an invasion herself.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

I think that a lot of it is Marvel vs DC. The irony in my eyes was that if Avengers was dark and brooding and Man of Steel was "fun", most of the people who criticized Avengers for being "fun" would have ended up praising Man of Steel for being "fun".

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reactor said:

Avengers by far. Saw it three times in theaters, but it's because it was an awesome popcorn flick. But that's all it was. I never saw it all the way through even once after the third time in theaters.

@slimj87d said:

@jphu8414 said:

@slimj87d said:

@jphu8414 said:

@slimj87d: They released a prequel comic explaining that, a kryptonian ship led by Kara Zor-El crashed there a long time ago

So by coincident a ancestor of his crashed there and the symbol of hope was coincidentally there as well?

I thought the best explanation would have been Jor-El's AI system creating the suit for him.

Yes, his ancestor just so happens to have crashed there with her scout ship, that is the explanation, but it is most likely why Jor el chose to send kal to earth in the first place, so not a complete coincidence.

The El family crest has existed a long time, and I'm assuming it has always stood for hope.

See, this wasn't explained in the movie, and even if it was, it would cause more confusion. The confusion being there is the problem.

The best plot would have been the Jor-El AI taking over the ship and making the suit for him.

MOS wasn't perfect, but this is what's causing confusion for you? Really?

Obviously not, if you bothered to read my previous post it was one of many things, I just don't have to rewatch the movie and collect my thoughts right now.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

@farkam said:

MOS. One of the dullest and bleakest movies I have ever seen about a Superhero, only saved by its action. It was like a Micheal Bay film without all the zany action and idiotic humor.

Gotta go with this.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By deaditegonzo

I love Dark Knight, so dont take this the wrong way, but it is easily the most "overrated" CBM. And Heath Ledger is painfully overrated.

Paul2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avengers, invasion at the end is on the same road area too much for me, there's a whole city for christ sake!

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Dark Knight or Man of Steel. Dark Knight was good, but Man of Steel was just alright and is treated like it's the best movie ever.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By MonsterStomp

@farkam said:

MOS. One of the dullest and bleakest movies I have ever seen about a Superhero, only saved by its action. It was like a Micheal Bay film without all the zany action and idiotic humor.

Gotta go with this.

7.4 rating too much?

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avengers.

I'm one of the cats that think a villain is suppose to carry a film. They're suppose to make the heroes work for it. Loki did none of that.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 rogueshadow  Moderator
kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I completely applaud this.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#70  Edited By daredevil21134

Nolan Batman films

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't really think of movies that I think are overrated to be honest. Can we talk about underrated films though? Like DareDevil: Director's Cut, Punisher: War Zone and the two Fantastic Four movies!

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

Avengers, it's only impressive in the sense that it was ever made. The movie, on it's own merits? Nothing beyond any other summer blockbuster.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Wolverine008

Avengers.

I'm one of the cats that think a villain is suppose to carry a film. They're suppose to make the heroes work for it. Loki did none of that.

This dog right here is about to eat you!

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avengers, it's only impressive in the sense that it was ever made. The movie, on it's own merits? Nothing beyond any other summer blockbuster.

I agree with this assessment, however, I dont think it is overrated, because everyone I know basically agrees. I havent really seen it called a masterpiece by any means.

Mxyzptlk_CV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most overrated? hmmmm...The Avengers comes to mind...

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Jonez_

The Dark Knight was a great movie and deserves the respect it received. People think that just because Ledger did an exceptional job that he was the only great aspect of the film.

Which is utterly wrong.

The cast as a whole was astounding, I mean Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Gary Oldman, and even Bale did a better job with their own respective characters than has ever been done.

The plot was insanely gripping and quite surprising.

The action was completely badass.

In all honesty the only superhero movie that can really compete plot-wise is Watchmen, and that wasn't even an original story.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't really think of movies that I think are overrated to be honest. Can we talk about underrated films though? Like DareDevil: Director's Cut, Punisher: War Zone and the two Fantastic Four movies!

After rewatching them, I can definitely agree with this. They weren't nearly as bad as I thought they were.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By slimj87d
kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:

@arturocalakayvee said:

After rewatching them, I can definitely agree with this. They weren't nearly as bad as I thought they were.

Finally someone agrees with me haha

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By MonsterStomp

@wolverine08 said:

@monsterstomp said:

Avengers.

This dog right here is about to eat you!

Loki was nothing, man.

Loki as a villain

• We've had this guy as a villain for the Thor film already.
  • He wasn't cunning at all.
  • In an attempt to humiliate Captain America, Steve actually humiliated Loki.
  • Humans > Gods
  • Black Widow deduced his angle to get to Hulk, yet Hawkeye did 90% of Loki's work.
  • He was being bossed around by some random Chitauri General.
  • None of his plans for world domination came remotely close.

Lets look at a bunch of villains that makes Loki's job look like nothing: Joker, Bane, Zod, supporting villains such as Faora + Nam-Ek, Abomination, Red Skull, Dr Doom, Lizard, Sebastian Shaw, Victor Creed from Origins. The list goes on really.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

You're one of my favorites on the Vine 08, but I guess we look for different things in our comic-book based movies. Nothing is wrong with fun, but the OP is "Which comic movie is over-rated" not "which comic movie is bad." I saw The Avengers about week-ten days after it's release, by then, I'd heard/read all the "Best CBM ever" and "5-stars" and so on. The expectations may have been a problem for me. When a film is that hyped, I want fun, but I want more than that. Let's take a Marvel movie I loved, the first Iron Man. That movie was "fun" and showed us "Tony Snark" :) and RDJ made the role his own. But it was more than fun. It had depth, it had a hero overcoming odds. It had the main character questioning the way he's lived his whole life and under-going a transformation. It had a villain that sold our hero out. It added a personal touch with Iron Man saving the village of the man who save his life in the cave. It was a pretty well-written and conceived plot line, that wound up in satisfying conclusion. And though I knew Stark would win in the end, when Obidiah had the reactor, and Tony didn't, I had no idea how he was gonna win. And the conclusion was, to me, much more satisfying than having Hulk toss Loki around. (Though I admit, that was fun.) Now, I don't think MOS was all that dark and brooding. In fact, I felt good at the end, because a real threat had been defeated. Kind of like I'm sure Seahawk fans had more fun/appreciated watching their team beat the 49ers and the Broncos, more than they did watching their team beat the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08 said:

You're one of my favorites on the Vine 08, but I guess we look for different things in our comic-book based movies. Nothing is wrong with fun, but the OP is "Which comic movie is over-rated" not "which comic movie is bad." I saw The Avengers about week-ten days after it's release, by then, I'd heard/read all the "Best CBM ever" and "5-stars" and so on. The expectations may have been a problem for me. When a film is that hyped, I want fun, but I want more than that. Let's take a Marvel movie I loved, the first Iron Man. That movie was "fun" and showed us "Tony Snark" :) and RDJ made the role his own. But it was more than fun. It had depth, it had a hero overcoming odds. It had the main character questioning the way he's lived his whole life and under-going a transformation. It had a villain that sold our hero out. It added a personal touch with Iron Man saving the village of the man who save his life in the cave. It was a pretty well-written and conceived plot line, that wound up in satisfying conclusion. And though I knew Stark would win in the end, when Obidiah had the reactor, and Tony didn't, I had no idea how he was gonna win. And the conclusion was, to me, much more satisfying than having Hulk toss Loki around. (Though I admit, that was fun.) Now, I don't think MOS was all that dark and brooding. In fact, I felt good at the end, because a real threat had been defeated. Kind of like I'm sure Seahawk fans had more fun/appreciated watching their team beat the 49ers and the Broncos, more than they did watching their team beat the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Also very good points.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not Avengers.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love how one person called Avengers fun and thus anyone elese who says it's overrated automatically has the same opinion. Sigh

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manwhohaseverything:

Aw, thanks for the compliment man. You're one of my favorites on here too :) First off, I completely get what you mean about the "masterpiece" or five star comments around Avengers when it first came out. It did get a lot of hype, and I can understand what you mean by it being overrated in that sense. I don't think Avengers is a five star or masterpiece type film. I bet if you ask Joss Whendon or Marvel Studios they wouldn't tell you it's a masterpiece either. Most of that hype has worn off by now anyways. But it was a pretty good movie, and it succeeded it in its mission. You have to give it credit for that. I also think it managed to have faithful interpretations of its characters all around, and managed to thror in some decent character development with characters like Captain America being able to go from being unsure of himself and the future he had been thrust into to being able to completely take over his role as leader. Secondly, tone doesn't make film. CBMs like Hulk 2003, Daredevil, the Punisher films, etc. all boasted dark tones, and the general consensus was that they were poorly made films. You can find varying tones among the best CBMs from lighthearted like Iron Man to dark like the Dark Knight. Even excluding the CBM genre, some of the best films on general had varying tones. Some have been extremely serious like the Godfather whereas others like Pulp Fiction were laced with humor all around. Now, I can actually understand how a film being extremely lacking in taking itself seriously can bring about failure. I think some CBMs this year like Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World went that route and brought on mediocrity unto themselves as a result, but I do think that they're CBMs like Avengers and Iron Man 1 for example that manage to strike that balance and can be done again. I can also at the end of the day understand a preference for certain tones. Some people will just prefer a darker tone, while some may prefer for their films to not take themselves too seriously, and I fully get that, but my biggest gripe is that we can't just throw a film into the bad apple category just on the basis of tone alone. There are so many aspects that go into making a film great that limiting it solely to tone is limiting our chances of enjoying great CBMs in general.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avengers was an average movie made great in people's eyes literally only because of build up.

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By SheenLantern

Every Marvel movie, with the exception of Iron Man 1, the only Marvel film that actually had a soul.

Also, Nolan Batman. Or as they are individually known:

Batman Begins: We have to be super serious and boring in order to differentiate us between Batman and Robin

The Dark Knight: Proof that even the most painfully average film will receive untold praise if it includes Batman

The Dark Knight Rises: Batman, but now with fascist undertones.

Skyfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Skyfire

The Dark Knight Rises. Wasn't even the best Batman film, let alone the best CBM ever. Cap 2 was much better.

Man of steel....did all of the cast study trees or something? They were all so wooden and bland. Also why no humour? Even the Batman movies gave a chuckle every now and again. I seriously can't think of a single (intentionally) funny moment in MOS. Some would call it gritty and realistic, I call it dull and boring. Only it's fairly decent fight scenes saved for me.

I was expecting people to say Avengers, though I can't for the life of me understand why. The fact it was even made elevates to legendary status. Even without that, it was a damn good flick on it's own merits.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

Wanted and Sky High, simply for the fact they are some of the worst movies I've ever seen and still garnered good reviews.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avengers and MoS.

G_leno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By G_leno

The Dark Knight. The film is overrated simply because Ledger is overrated.

He got an Oscar because he died, not because he was an awesome Joker. Nicholson > Ledger all day long.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Batman Begins. No contest.
Rises is right behind it.

The Dark Knight I feel actually deserves it's hype. I didn't like what Nolan did with Batman and the Joker was just a glorified thug but Ledger took that script and made him so intense. The only one of the three that gave me chills and had me on the edge of my seat.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avengers was an average movie made great in people's eyes literally only because of build up.

Indeed it was.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

God comic book fans bitch about movies so much.

All I can say is I'm extremely thankful studios don't listen to any of us, because this thread is just silly. Some of the reasons people have brought up are absolutely ridiculous.

Might as well not make any CBM's, given that nearly every single one has been mentioned. They're all overrated and garbage!

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicstooge said:

Can't believe I'm now going to defend The Avengers. (First time for everything.) Not sure any film can be considered "great by the public" on build-up. MOS had just as much "build-up" as Avengers, but the general consensus is Avengers was much better. (Which I hate admitting, as I like MOS so much more, but my opinion is not general consensus.) In fact, build-up can backfire. As I noted before, one of my problems with The Avengers, having seen it something like 7-10 days after it's release (I think it was 9 days, but am not sure.) was all the hype and build-up raised my expectations to maybe unrealistic heights.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-man 2

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Avengers.The movie wasn't bad,it was good, but it wasn't as good as every fanboy of it says.The movie is fun to watch for the first time but after the first time you start noticing it's flaws and it actually becomes a pretty boring movie to watch for a second time.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By SanoHibiki

Avengers easily.

@lyrafay said:

@manwhohaseverything said:

Oh, I've expounded on this before, but my vote will probably always go The Avengers. My main sticking point being the lackluster villain(s), and why I will always like MOS so much more, despite it's flaws. We all know the good guy wins..it's what super-heroes ultimately do, they win. But I at least like to feel, if only briefly, that the villain is an actual threat. In The Avengers, Loki wasn't. Not for me anyhow. The Avengers had more problems with each other than with Loki. His "army" was a joke. (Shades of Stormtroopers) In the end, he was such a non-threat, his defeat was comic-fodder. Faora, by herself, was more of a threat, much less if you throw in Zod. It's like "Wow, villains that act..you know..villainous!" Actual stakes in play! Now, I guess technically, you could say the stakes were high in The Avengers, but they did such a poor job of making anyone I know feel that way. Even people who liked the film describe it as "fun". That's all good and well, but hardly grounds to call it great. In fact, out of Marvel movies, both Marvel Studios and ones made by Fox, I'd rate The Avengers about 7th or 8th.

I agree, seriously after watching The Avengers again I'm pretty sure an normal citizen could defeat that alien army. Faora was particularly an invasion herself.

Spot on.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Avengers. It was my wake up call and showed me that Marvel does not produce good villains.