Most overrated and most underrated powers?

• 90 results
Bruticus112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Bruticus112

In my opinion super speed is the most overrated power. All it really does is making you move faster and unpredictably (please dont come with this force=mass x acceleration stuff, there are plenty of real life boxers with fast punches yet they all hit like feathers, even Ali yet he had a lot of speed and mass). I'm not saying speed is useless, but I just dunno why people love that power so much.

Most underrated? I dunno. Maybe durability (or strength I dunno).

Anyways which power do you think is the most overrated power, and the most underrated power?

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Speed is too overrated in Dc just about every top character has it and don't get me started on the flash

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Speed is just soooo boring to me.

And Stands are the most awesome yet underated power.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

Overrated: Like everyone else in this thread, I'll say speed (I honestly expected to be the only person to say this)

Underrated: Don't know. Electric powers (whatever the technical name is)?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e870e328354a
deactivated-5e870e328354a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overrated: Speed or invisibility.

Underrated: Shape-shifting.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2e798651249
deactivated-5b2e798651249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Overrated: Speed steal and reaction speed.

Underrated: Durability.

Avatar image for supermanwithatan01
Supermanwithatan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think the "speed" aspect is overrated, just over used. Speed steal in particular presents a huge problem in battles and has its haters on the vine but it's not "overrated" unless you don't understand the character.

Personally I'd say the most overrated power is superstrength or telepathy.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The most underrated power must be telepathic control over birds.

NeonPheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By NeonPheonix

In my opinion super speed is the most overrated power. All it really does is makin' you move faster an' unpredictably (please dont come with this force=mass x acceleration stuff, there are plenty of real life boxers with fast punches yet they all hit like feathers, even Ali yet he had a lot of speed an' mass). I aint sayin' speed is useless, but I just dunno why people love that power so much.

Anyways which power do you think is the most overrated power, an' the most underrated power?

Ok, first of all the force= mass x acceleration stuff doesn't work during boxing because of several variables, and I think the Flash is just as powerful as someone would be in REALITY

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overrated: Battle Precog. Just because you can read the opponent's movements predict their flow because you read their rhythm or whatever, it doesn't mean you will always win. It is a hell of an advantage, yes, but this method has weaknesses. If you are too slow to actually dodge/block/evade, it doesn't matter if the enemy gives you an award winning script of how they will attack. Also, if the enemy can do things like completely change their flow of attack, the pattern previously read can be thrown off. Not everyone can use these holes in the problem, but they still exist.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Overrated: Battle Precog. Just because you can read the opponent's movements predict their flow because you read their rhythm or whatever, it doesn't mean you will always win. It is a hell of an advantage, yes, but this method has weaknesses. If you are too slow to actually dodge/block/evade, it doesn't matter if the enemy gives you an award winning script of how they will attack. Also, if the enemy can do things like completely change their flow of attack, the pattern previously read can be thrown off. Not everyone can use these holes in the problem, but they still exist.

Preach.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 juiceboks  Moderator

@bruticus112 said:

In my opinion super speed is the most overrated power. All it really does is makin' you move faster an' unpredictably (please dont come with this force=mass x acceleration stuff, there are plenty of real life boxers with fast punches yet they all hit like feathers, even Ali yet he had a lot of speed an' mass). I aint sayin' speed is useless, but I just dunno why people love that power so much.

Anyways which power do you think is the most overrated power, an' the most underrated power?

Ok, first of all the force= mass x acceleration stuff doesn't work during boxing because of several variables, and I think the Flash is just as powerful as someone would be in REALITY

What do you mean it "doesn't work"? It's a fundamental law of physics.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BlackWind

Battle experience too can be somewhat overrated. The only times in which I can think it matters, is if the fight involves a specific element. If it is something involving the occult, Zatanna and Jason Blood obviously will be the people to call, not Iron Man.

ximpossibrux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ximpossibrux

I don't think Super Speed is overrated, but the Speed Force in general is wtfhax as hell.

Dodge any attack because you can go over light speed, gain Speed Force durability,running through space, Super strength, Supernova striking power, invisibility, time travel, vibrations that can create massive explosions, phasing through attacks, speed steal, and can react like time has stopped.

Who was the genius who decided this was a good idea?

Avatar image for supermanwithatan01
Supermanwithatan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think Super Seed is overrated, but the Speed Force in general is wtfhax as hell.

Dodge any attack because you can go over light speed, gain Speed Force durability,running through space, Super strength, Supernova striking power, invisibility, time travel, vibrations that can create massive explosions, phasing through attacks, speed steal, and can react like time has stopped.

To be fair, speed steal is something only Wally, Walter (alt. Universe Wally), Jay and Savitar (The creator of said technique) can do. haha but to add do your point, you forgot accelerated healing and the speed mind (semi precog). It's ridiculous that's why Wally's out and Jay has been depowered. Barry's no where near Wally but still a force to be reckoned with.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#17  Edited By GraniteSoldier

@ximpossibrux said:

I don't think Super Seed is overrated, but the Speed Force in general is wtfhax as hell.

This, Speed Force ruined Flash for me. Always I find that people put too much stock in "training". Batman is a favorite of mine, but just because he knows every martial art on the planet does not make him a good fighter, it makes him a highly trained fighter. Someone else may know only four styles and can apply them in the best manner and be just as good if not better. It's quality not quantity. Don't believe me? Soldiers have locked up under fire, they receive fantastic training for combat, but training is not combat. I've received excellent training, but I can still eat a bullet or get blown up like any other mortal man. Training makes you skilled, but skill does not always make a win.

Underrated? I always felt Sue Storm's powers were immense but always underrated or underutilized.

fil123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bruticus112: did i read that wrong or did you say Ali hit like a feather. boxers who have the hardest punch would surprise you like rocky marciano (weighed like 180 something), joe louis (weighed like 210 range but was tall) or manny p.

mike tyson has the hardest punch probably watch a video and see how freaking fast he moves, probably the fastest 200lb plus man ever. i bet the boxers who weigh like 110 can knock us all out with one punch.

but speed isnt really overrated, i think DC made it overrated with all the stuff flash can do.

i think super strength is overrated now that you have aquaman one punching superman across town. there are too many super strength people in the DC universe

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Underrated: Soul manipulation. This is one of the most exotic and lesser used powers around that not everyone can claim to even have any defense for.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Overrated: Strength, just because you are strong, doesn't mean you'll always land a hit.

Underrated: Elasticity.

Racob7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overrated: Money

Underrated: Luck

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

Shocker theres a ton of Marvel fans discounting speed lol. Didn't see that coming

hart7668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By hart7668

@ximpossibrux said:

This, Speed Force ruined Flash for me. Always I find that people put too much stock in "training". Batman is a favorite of mine, but just because he knows every martial art on the planet does not make him a good fighter, it makes him a highly trained fighter. Someone else may know only four styles and can apply them in the best manner and be just as good if not better. It's quality not quantity. Don't believe me? Soldiers have locked up under fire, they receive fantastic training for combat, but training is not combat. I've received excellent training, but I can still eat a bullet or get blown up like any other mortal man. Training makes you skilled, but skill does not always make a win.

Underrated? I always felt Sue Storm's powers were immense but always underrated or underutilized.

You're missing the point with Batman. Batman doesn't simply know every martial art he mastered every martial art. He is an absolute genius with even one style, but the guy practiced 127 to cover his bases. About the only guy in comics that fits the description you're looking for is Jason Todd. He was never talented like Grayson or Drake

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#24  Edited By GraniteSoldier

@hart7668 said:

@granitesoldier said:

@ximpossibrux said:

You're missing the point with Batman. Batman doesn't simply know every martial art he mastered every martial art. He is an absolute genius with even one style, but the guy practiced 127 to cover his bases. About the only guy in comics that fits the description you're looking for is Jason Todd. He was never talented like Grayson or Drake

I'm not missing the point, I've followed Batman since I was a kid, so over two decades. Mastery does not necessarily translate to practical application, nor does training. Only select styles even require competitive application to even be considered a Master rank. Examples are Muay Thai kickboxing and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

Batman has loads of experience, and that is a viable consideration. Training is not. Again using the military as an example, we put more stock in real combat experience than in training. You can squeeze off 100 rounds and hit 100 headshots when someone isn't shooting back, but when the bullets fly that's what matters what you can do. I've never mastered any style personally, although I have years of experience with many and am one rank away from mastery in Tae Kwon Do, but I've beaten master ranked Tae Kwon Do practitioners in sparring and others with more training in MMA matches. Training doesn't equal practical application, simple as that.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Underrated

No Caption Provided
icec0ld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overrated-Prep

Underrated- teleportation

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Underrated power is whatever Forge's power is called. The ability to created anything with just a thought.

Avatar image for wishiwassuperman
WIshIWasSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By WIshIWasSuperman

@juiceboks: @bruticus112: F=ma is being completely misused here. First off the "mass" you're talking about is little more than 300 gm for an average person (basically their fist), it's not like their entire body weight is behind every punch (especially the fastest punches). Proper technique will enable more of your mass to be involved, but in doing so it slows down the overall movement.

Secondly there IS other variable factors, such as absorption of exerted force. The glove for one is designed to do exactly that. Studies have enough shown a bare knuckle hit exerts more force than a gloved one. This is intentional to protect the combatants. Other absorption factors would be the amount of movement the recipients body part has when hit such as flex, or rebound (for example their head snapping back and forth spreading the impact force to more than the target zone, combined with the amount of flex that bones or cartilage allow for).

A properly trained boxer can hit with enough force to render someone unconscious with a single blow. Thus is dine by using good technique that allows for the maximum amount if mass to be applied at the highest rate possible, and targeted in the correct place. Other effects would be broken bones, ruptured organs, massive internal injuries... The point is speed IS a genuine thing when it comes to this stuff, and us certainly not over rated. The faster you are (in every aspect - perception, movement, reaction) the greater your advantage. That's not to say it hasn't been over used, or that certain feats and abilities linked to speed aren't beyond ridiculous, but it's a genuine factor in any combat situation. A simple test - hit yourself in the face really slowly, then as fast as you can. Which one hurts more?

EDIT: also, if we're talking about someone like Flash punching at or near the speed of light - i mean, do you even realise the amount of energy expenditure in that? I mean in real world physics it's not even a matter of impact damage anymore, it's heat and essentially big bang type explosive power (although on a much smaller scale). A recipient of a hit like that, pretty much ceases to exist. Comics actually underplay just how damaging a hit like that should be.

Nightcraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Nightcraft

Underrated

No Caption Provided

This. Phasing is one of the most useful abilities I have ever seen and is one of my favorites.

Avatar image for teentitansfan94
TeenTitansFan94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overrated: Speed. A lot of BIG superheroes like the Flash and Superman have it, but in reality it's only so helpful.

Underrated: Telekinesis/telepathy. I think heroes like Raven from the Teen Titans don't get enough attention.

Bruticus112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Bruticus112

@fil123:

Actially George Foreman and Earnie Shavers were the hardest hitters ever (not lying).

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overrated: Martial arts, especially for human characters. I don't care how many styles someone knows, it isn't the end all to every fight.

Avatar image for deactivated-5faef67d08995
deactivated-5faef67d08995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Overrated: Martial arts, especially for human characters. I don't care how many styles someone knows, it isn't the end all to every fight.

Good Answer.

RenaissanceMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

most underrated is : IQ

adhd_assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hart7668: um, no. mastering a single martial art takes a lot of time, mastering 127 is impossible in one lifetime. hes only studied 127 martial arts

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Underrated: Area affect. This kind of ability is good for people who like to bounce around with super speed or high level agility who can't be hit by a single, straight shot attack. If you can't hit the enemy, hit everything else.

14NC3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Underrated: photographic reflexes

The_Imperator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sylar's power is incredibly underrated, really only being used in Heroes. the power itself is literally "learn how pretty much anything works by studying it, and fix things." That power itself would be incredibly useful for manipulation of someone, you learning how to push someone's buttons perfectly to control them without ever having to use mind control. And if you can convince yourself that you are "broken," you can "fix" yourself and gain abilities of others. And even if you don't go that route, you are a technological savant and psychological savant. You would be able to predict economic trends if you watch the news long enough, heck, you can predict the butterfly effect of how to change time.

It's an incredibly versatile power, and probably one of two or three powers I would actually choose to have

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

I don't think any powers are overrated or underrated. Some are used more than others - like strength, speed and flight - but I wouldn't call them "overrated". Overused and underused might be more appropriate.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The_Imperator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725: What? What's mimicry? That power I described is not mimicry. Mimicry doesn't usually let you figure out how people's minds works, how butterfly effects work, how mechanical things work without any training, etc.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By judasnixon

Underrated

No Caption Provided
judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By judasnixon

Overrated..... Healing Factor.

No Caption Provided
Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Overrated..... Healing Factor.

No Caption Provided

Not really. The benefits of healing factor (Extremely hard to kill, superhuman physicals, immunity to all disease, superhuman durability, extended lifespan, immunity to cold, superhuman senses, superhuman stamina, etc.) Are extremely beneficial if you are a street level character. Being killed by specialized means like drowning doesn't really make it overrated.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By judasnixon

Underrated

No Caption Provided
PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What? of course it does. A boxer's/ martial artist's punch is *always* faster than a normal person's. That's why the training methods are different for building strength and hitting harder.

Flash has the speed force, something not found in reality.

JwwProd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overrated = Super Speed.

Underrated = Elastic powers.

BallPointHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overrated: Prep

Underrated: The ability to detonate matter at a sub-atomic level.

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By dum529001

@princearagorn1 said:

@neonpheonix said:

What? of course it does. A boxer's/ martial artist's punch is *always* faster than a normal person's. That's why the training methods are different for building strength and hitting harder.

Flash has the speed force, something not found in reality.

Yep. Knowing how to channeling your body's power is the difference between a trained fighter and anyone else.

Your upper body sits on your core and your core sits on your legs. How do you maiximize power? Lean on your core and balance your legs proprerly. Make sure your wrist and shoelders are lined up the way they should be and you've got yourself perfect punching techinque, with your power flowing out perfectly, which means your punch will be as fast as it can and hit as hard as it can.

Your power flows through yor upper body and is concentrated in your first two knuckles.