Most of animes, today, have little originality.

Absol123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Absol123

There are a lot of good mangas that didn't have a chance to be adapted into anime, nowadays.

Why do they keep adapting the same type of animes over and over again?

-Virtual reality anime that people got tired sick of them.

-Harem anime, where all the cliché girls falls in love with the main character because he was nice to each of them, once in his life and they remembered it their entire lives

-"I want to be Hokage/king of the pirates/lord of the wizards/monarch of the bandits...etc" style animes

- Merchandising animes, where people takes a children's game too seriously (cards, spinning tops, mahjong...etc)

-Medieval animes. I have nothing against them but the main plot of most of them is "Let's go to an adverture/ Let's do a quest"

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Magian  Online

Well considering the number of anime released each season, being original is a bit difficult really. As to why they keep adapting the same story archetypes over and over again, the answer is simple. Because they sell. Why not do it, if people keep watching it?

Also there are more original anime out there if you look beyond the more mainstream and popular stuff.

Michaelbn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course, they are.

SocaJunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

‘Why do they keep adapting the same type of animes over and over again?’

Because they make money.

Next easily answerable question pls

Avatar image for life_without_progress
Life_Without_Progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Loading Video...

I think this video would answer your question.

Also most manga and light novels that get animated are targeted towards teenagers. Familiarity is the name of the game at that age.

Y2G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You could say this about anything. Plus awesome anime keep getting put out under those criteria so who cares?

If "I want to be the leader" anime gets me more Naruto or Black Clover than I am all in.

If medieval anime gets me more Seven Deadly Sins than I am all in.

Avatar image for onlyoneempereor
OnlyOneEmpereor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magian said:

Well considering the number of anime released each season, being original is a bit difficult really. As to why they keep adapting the same story archetypes over and over again, the answer is simple. Because they sell. Why not do it, if people keep watching it?

Also there are more original anime out there if you look beyond the more mainstream and popular stuff.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea0874809400
deactivated-5ea0874809400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are still some good ones to search for. Fire Force and Dr. Stone come to mind. Demon Slayer May have a similar theme but the story is still for the most part unique.

Azureus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember when I started watching SAO. The first few episodes were good, really focused on the danger and struggles of being the in the death game. Half a season later...the show become some weird unrequited cousin romance anime with hardly in stakes related to what was once a life or death situation.

The second season was just awful. Pointless action, no stakes whatsoever.Playing a video game to catch a 'virtual killer' was the first story arc. Second story arc was Kirito getting his own harem and playing video games because they can. Third story arc, random bitch with AIDS who's really good at the game they're playing. This all the while milking the original premise of the show, while having nothing to do it.

I'll never get the time I spent watching that trash series back.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3c3d5515551
deactivated-5e3c3d5515551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Demon Slayer is top notch

KillBilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KillBilly

That's pretty much how it's always been. 99% of anime is trash, they just release so much of it that there is some truly excellent shows that get released as a result of the law of large numbers.

CCThor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because nowadays anime otaku has no taste.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Seis Manos is on Netflix, and is pretty dope, but only has one season

a8612152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccthor said:

Because nowadays anime otaku has no taste.

DevoidRuby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There’s nothing wrong with an anime not being original.

If an anime has good characters, good animation, good music and a good plot, who cares if some other show did it too?

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as the anime is good I honestly don’t mind the lack of originality. My Hero Academia, Demon Slayer, Black Clover, Fire Force, Shield Hero are all shows that aren’t original at all (maybe excluding Fire Force) but they’re are all still pretty great shows.

CCThor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CCThor

@devoidruby:

Because there's lot of people think like your way so it's the reason anime going to downfall.

DevoidRuby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccthor: Anime is more popular than ever, and there’s still plenty of great anime being made.

People who cry and complain about ‘Classic anime’ being way better than ‘modern anime’ are just the same As people who complain about modern music, cinema and games.

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Back in my day we had REAL anime! Now get off my lawn you crazy kids!

CCThor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CCThor
Haxxxz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When Samurai 8 will get animated it will give something new

Gaoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't speak for anything other than shounens and couple seinens. Shounens are stuck creatively, I agree but I still love MHA or OMP for how well they execute or parody all of those tired themes of the genre. As for seinens there's couple of really great ones in recent years: Attack on Titan, Promised Neverland or Vinland Saga.

Ymirgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they made more animes like HxH 2011 I wouldn't complain but the writing in all of these MHA, KnY, Fire Force etc animes... its a no from me

thatduderox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They sell. The guy that made Code Geass even said that he doubted a show like that would even get greenlit today.

DreadBringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@life_without_progress said:

Loading Video...

I think this video would answer your question.

Also most manga and light novels that get animated are targeted towards teenagers. Familiarity is the name of the game at that age.

Even the classic ones should have similarities to some much older media. Like for simple thing - DB with characters having energy manipulation should be the same as similar type of characters released even earlier - including superhero comics.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
Life_Without_Progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@dreadbringer: Yes but the point the video raises is those similarities back then were not as oversaturated in several media outlets as it is today. Today's larger circle of media outlets and anime production and the acceptance of anime as popular internet culture makes the lack of originality issue all the more obvious.

Arthur_Morgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing got originality nowadays.

like really , nothing.

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Well it's far more flash over substance these days. Especially considering how the global market loves the weird badness that is Shonen don't expect a slowdown.

Gaoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They sell. The guy that made Code Geass even said that he doubted a show like that would even get greenlit today.

Code Geass is a poor man's, more weeb-y Death Note.

thatduderox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By thatduderox

@gaoron: That’s your opinion. I don’t agree and actually have both series on my top ten list, but we’ll just have to agree to disagree on that. The problem at large the creator was stating that shows with darker themes like Code Geass and Deathnote would be extremely difficult for a studio to greenlight in 2019. They’ve essentially put creators in box as far what can and can’t be made. That’s why like the OP said, a lot of today’s anime feel alike and have the same formula. Studios are less willing to take chances on something darker and edgier that might alienate their established fanbase.

Gaoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatduderox: Not really, we still get dark and gory animes like this today. This year we got Promised Neverland and Vinland Saga for example.

TakenStew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TakenStew22  Online

If an anime doesn't have girls with big ass and titties then it's automatically shit.

Avatar image for undeckedlion395
Undeckedlion395

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, nowadays it's near impossible to have an original idea, whatever you're thinking of someone else probably already thought about it. In today's climate it's better to just create a good idea rather than trying to create an original one. (Though there still are lots of crap animes out there).

CCThor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JOVIOLMA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With the years, new stories, characters and powers are created in series and comics, is hard today to create something original, because unless you can create a very complex plot with a variety of stories and rarely seen backstories and powers, as well characters that are able to get the attention of several people, your work will always be similar to another cuz somewhere and someday other dude had a similar idea.

ovy7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With 5000 years of storytelling, it's quite hard to write something original. Also, there are many authors (manga or otherwise) that jump into trends because so they would have a bigger chance of getting the most out of their work.

Gotoucanario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You could say this about all media. It's up to you to choose to watch the quality stuff among all the generic.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unfortunately most of it is trash catering to horny teenage boys.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#41 Magian  Online

^But wasn't this always the case? Maybe not to same degree but that always has been anime's main demographic.

CJg4z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hentai wants a word with you guys

Kinginrags

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cjg4z said:

Hentai wants a word with you guys

This.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#44 Jgames  Online

This the case with everything. To books, movies, tv show, cartoons, anime etc. Company do not care about originality, just money.

Avatar image for war_of_light_2814
war of light_2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm too old for shonen now but then and there I'd get back reading some of them hoping to see something fresh and all I got are some same old sh**. I'm totally sick of idiot, loudmouth, big-eater shonen protagonists. Why the heck would all of them need to be Goku/Naruto clone. How about being creative with your protagonist's personality for once. Oh, and what 's with middle school/high school girls with breasts size of watermelons and their frequent habits of showing off? Seriously, stop sexualizing young girls.

Necromancer76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

This show isn't original?

Gotoucanario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Gotoucanario

From what I have heard anime runs on a very tight budget and is mainly done boost manga sales. So niche series just aren't attractive to produce because they are unlikely to generate much profit, so we see generic mainstream anime the most. Still I would say no other media goes as wild and varied as anime, if you look at the more interesting ones.

Take this with a grain of salt, I don't know this for a fact.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 kgb725  Online

I'm too old for shonen now but then and there I'd get back reading some of them hoping to see something fresh and all I got are some same old sh**. I'm totally sick of idiot, loudmouth, big-eater shonen protagonists. Why the heck would all of them need to be Goku/Naruto clone. How about being creative with your protagonist's personality for once. Oh, and what 's with middle school/high school girls with breasts size of watermelons and their frequent habits of showing off? Seriously, stop sexualizing young girls.

A good product is a good product you havent outgrown shonen. Saitama ichigo yusuke gon light kaneki deku tanjiro eren Yeager etc. Theres plenty of protagonists that arent dumb loud and big eaters.

Japan sexualizes everything

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 kgb725  Online
@haxxxz said:

When Samurai 8 will get animated it will give something new

R.i.p.