Most easily defendable fortress/castle/town in lord of the rings

#1 Edited by JoshTaku (315 posts) - - Show Bio

Among the impressive looking structures in middle earth, which of them can be considered as the easiest to defend?

Scenario: An evil lord from outside the tolkien verse has descended upon middle earth and has brought his horde of minions. He decides to attack a place of significance in order to instill fear. The defenders know of this and have prepared for the attack.

The attacking force:

- 200,000 evil men (stats above the average man)

- 20 fire breathing wingless drakes

- 30 mountain giants

- 15 fireball catapults

- 30 giant spiders the same size as shelob

- 3 eastern serpentine dragons (ones that look like shenlong in dragon ball)

- Evil lord (roughly the same strength and power as the witch king)

How do these places fare against such reckless hate?

-Edoras

-Rivendell

-Lothlorien

-Moria (Dwarven population)

-Helms deep

-Minas tirith

-Barad dur

The evil lord's forces reset after conquering a place. The defenders have access to all of their available forces including elf lords, kings, etc.

Minas Tirith has gandalf there to defend. All forces are at full strength and not weakened by their war with mordor.

Sauron is alive and well and has durin's bane at his command.

Avatar image for thespartanb345t
#2 Posted by TheSpartanB345T (5206 posts) - - Show Bio

Elves stomp them down hard.

Dwarves manage as well.

Barad Dur wins, but it is close.

The men all struggle hard and MAYBE Minas Tirith survives but I doubt it.

#3 Posted by JoshTaku (315 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by JoshTaku (315 posts) - - Show Bio

bump! edited to include 30 mountain giants

#5 Posted by Amcu (17499 posts) - - Show Bio

@thespartanb345t: Not sure if this is movie versions or book versions and my knowledge of the LOTR books is admittedly limited but i'm curious as to how the Elves and the Dwarves deal with the 20 fire drakes in addition to the armies. IIRC Smaug was refereed to as being a fire drake.

#6 Posted by JoshTaku (315 posts) - - Show Bio

@amcu: Is smaug called a fire drake? I thought he was considered a full dragon. Fire drakes referred here are wingless drakes the size of an elephant.

#7 Posted by Amcu (17499 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshtaku said:

@amcu: Is smaug called a fire drake? I thought he was considered a full dragon. Fire drakes referred here are wingless drakes the size of an elephant.

He was referred to as a "fire drake from the north" in the Hobbit film.

Can't remember if that was mentioned in the book or not. I know wiki's aren't the greatest sources but fire drakes are described as dragons in the LOTR wiki(Link).

#8 Posted by JoshTaku (315 posts) - - Show Bio

@amcu: weird... but okay then well let's just say the fire drakes here dragons without wings a little larger than cave trolls.

#9 Edited by Amcu (17499 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshtaku said:

@amcu: weird... but okay then well let's just say the fire drakes here dragons without wings a little larger than cave trolls.

Okay cool! Not sure who wins if I'm honest. Really cool thread though.

#10 Posted by MetalJimmor (6835 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshtaku said:

Is smaug called a fire drake? I thought he was considered a full dragon. Fire drakes referred here are wingless drakes the size of an elephant.

In Tolkien's taxonomy drake is just a word for dragon. Smaug is classified as a winged fire-drake, which means he has wings and can breathe fire. Dragons that can't breathe fire are called cold-drakes and dragons without wings are wingless drakes.

A wingless cold-drake is pretty much the lowest classification of dragon. The only known example of this type is Scatha who was slain by the dwarven lord named Fram.

#11 Posted by JoshTaku (315 posts) - - Show Bio

@metaljimmor: thanks for the clarification. Have edited it to be more specific