More likeable character? Rey or MCU Carol Danvers

• 65 results
ErentheGhoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll: More likeable character? Rey or MCU Carol Danvers (90 votes)

Rey 73%
Danvers 24%

A lot of people hate on these two, but I think they have some good qualities at least. I like Rey more personally. Them being “OP” seems to be common complaints.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

• 
Lan_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Both are very likeable.

MarlboroMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Rey, people really exaggarate her being mary sue she is not any less mary sue than Luke or Obi-wan or even earlier Anakin. I feel like it's just because it's a she..

On the other hand Captain Marvel/Brie is as annoying and obnoxious as it gets.

Avatar image for deactivated-5da4168075532
deactivated-5da4168075532

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Rey, people really exaggarate her being mary sue she is not any less mary sue than Luke or Obi-wan or even earlier Anakin. I feel like it's just because it's a she..

How is Captain Marvel obnoxious

mtuske

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marlboroman: shes a massive Mary Sue. Luke could barely pick up a jet during training and Yoda struggled himself. Rey with no training effortlessly picked up tons of massive boulders far outweighing what Yoda struggled with and did it effortlessly. She learned to control people with her like Obi Wan and others with no training. She overpowered Kylo who had been trained by both Luke and Snoke with no training. She is exactly what a Mary Sue is. The others are not. She may raise the Death Star from the ground which would be hilarious.

thatduderox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As likable as the actor is, Rey's problem does lie in the storytelling around her. While both Anakin and Rey are prodigies, the narrative around their talents is what makes Anakin a more compelling character. Anakin wasn't taking on and defeating Maul in episode 1. Like Obi Wan and other Jedi before him, Anakin had train years to hone his skill. It is about a decade between episodes 1 and 2, and while naturally gifted, it's clear that Anakin still has a lot to learn.

He is arrogant and thinks he's better than he's actually is, and when he fights Dooku, he sees firsthand how big of a power gap there is between them. Same with Luke and Vader; Luke took off against Yoda's warnings and paid heavily for it. The narrative showed that while the potential for Anakin and Luke to be great were there, they weren't at that stage in their journey yet, and still had a lot to learn.

Rey hasn't had any obstacles or lessons to learn in that regard. She beat her main rival in their first encounter. She cleared the throne room in episode 8 after Snoke was defeated. Rey hasn't struggled at all combat wise, and picks up jedi skills that took Anakin and Luke years to master. Just because you have the force doesn't mean you can start swinging a lightsaber around like a pro on your first try.

There was a reason that Jedi started their training as small children, that stuff takes years to master. Rey on the other hand has accomplished all of this in the span of a week or two. Disney wants Rey to be this strong empowering female character so bad that they essentially robbed her of a hero's journey. She doesn't struggle and she doesn't learn because in most cases, she is proven right.

Upendi3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The one that actually has a personality and isn't as bland as cardboard.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have a problem with either of their personalities, I just dislike how undeserved and underdeveloped Rey's outlandish power is. That's more a result of the new movies being poorly written though.

Absurdme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like both of them just fine. Danvers is a cocky pilot, like most of the pilots I've known (I don't know any civilian pilots who aren't former military so can't say amongst them).

Rey as people have noted isn't a bad character so much as her narrative is very off compared to past portrayals of force users. Some of this is offset by both her and Kylo supposedly being ridiculously natural talents, but it really is a bit much for someone to pick up a lightsaber and beat their similarly talented rival in one day. It wouldn't be a problem if this was actually a plot point that got explored and seemed to concern everyone else, but it's kind of just accepted by everyone except Rey who seems to be one of the few people weirded out by her powers.

If anything Danvers sudden ability to use her powers so expertly at the end of CM was a bit ludicrous. The moment where she jumpstarted Yon-Rogg's ship took me right out of the movie. Before that I could accept some it but the suspension of disbelief was hard to keep.

I do kind of hate TLJ, but not for any supposed agendas as much as I feel like Rian Johnson just got slap happy with subverting expectations until the narrative completely collapsed and the movie felt pointless. Only Attack of the Clones sits lower than it in my opinion because Padme hugging genocidal Anakin and staying with him is the absolute most insane thing they have ever done after barely establishing an awkward and infantile relationship.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rey is a likable character. I had my misgivings with how fast she developed in Force Awakens but was confident she'd get training with Luke and maybe a time skip of a year or two in order to justify her further skills going forward.

Last Jedi subverted those expectations though. The problem with Rey isn't the character. It is the amateurish story telling surrounding her. She comes across more like a bad fanfic character than someone that is the centerpiece of a professionally made big budget trilogy.

As for Carol, I don't have a strong opinion on her so far. She's just kind of there and barely did anything in Endgame. The "You didn't have me" line kind of chaffed because we just saw these heroes we've been following for over a decade lose everything and she comes in acting cocky. But I can't be too mad because it turns out she was right. She would've floored Thanos if she were on Titan.

Jordan1Kenobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Rey. She’s amazing. Carol is pretty good too though. Not one of my favourite MCU characters, but we’ll see what they do with her next.

Bio Guyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don’t like either character, but I can tolerate Rey a little more.

Gokluma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rey is somewhat better than a girl version of shonen's cocky rival

im_late

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By im_late

Rey. Larson's acting and utter lack of charisma just doesn't convince me. Daisy has her moments with writing doing her very little favor.

Avatar image for detectivesomerset__
DetectiveSomerset__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gaoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They don't exaggarate at all, both Luke and Anakin trained for their power and even after training they still lost to antagonists which costed them their arms. Rey hasn't trained to be a jedi and still come out as superior to Kylo in both movies. There's no progression to her power level like we saw with Luke and Anakin. Then there's fact they were skywalkers aka jesus of star wars, Rey is portrayed as noboyd which makes this even worse from a story telling perspective. Hopefully they fix and explain that in the upcoming movie but honestly I doubt it.