KillianDuclark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

Full article for those interested

Basically a tonne of in development DC shows and movies that would be exclusive to HBO max are in danger of being cancelled including DC products already released like Harley Quinn, Doom Patrol, Titans, Young Justice as well as in development stuff like JJ Abrams Justice League Dark series, James Gunn other suicide squad spin offs like Amanda Wallers Checkmate/Sinister Six show etc.

They will be instead be replaced with more reality tv show content and other unscripted shows.

David Szlav

Avatar image for finalkingthanos
finalkingthanos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killianduclark: it’s more likely they’re going to merge HBO Max into the Discovery stuff imo rather than loads of separate brands

Aystarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think most of them would be ok lol, peacemaker is already confirmed.

KillianDuclark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@finalkingthanos: Yh but mergers like this often lead to staff lay offs and content cancellation. And these things disproportionately hurt one part of the new merger over the other. And Zslav is from discovery so you can guess which branch he'll be "cost cutting' more

heiqn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By heiqn

WB needs a guy like Feige, this quote became a meme in these days, I know, but no planning.

heiqn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Harley Quinn

First season was awesome btw.

Darkvanderling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Darkvanderling  Online

It’s just a speculation. WB seems to be on right track cancelling that garbage Batgirl.

Avatar image for finalkingthanos
finalkingthanos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkvanderling: I agree tbh , with Discovery and the likes of the Rock pushing hype it seems like DC are finally trying to get something going again

Aystarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aystarr said:

I think most of them would be ok lol, peacemaker is already confirmed.

I take this back , no one is safe 💀.

LordTwigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By LordTwigo

The focus on reality tv and unscripted shows is what perplexes me.

In the era of Netflix losing subscribers shouldn't you be positioning yourself as a suitable replacement?

incursion2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

....WB doesn't know what they are doing

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well we shall see how this actually shakes out. It might not be too bad but I wonder about the whole direction of focusing on Reality TV and Unscripted Content. That's not the best stuff to draw people to your product but we shall see.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After Batgirl getting whacked like that, seems like Discovery/WB is liable to do anything with upcoming projects. At this point just along for the ride like everyone else. My gut says the DC HBOMAX stuff that’s there already is staying, but any of the planned/in-production stuff is a question mark. Who the Hell knows anymore 🤷‍♂️

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Heatforce

@heiqn: i think DC needs a committee like marvel use to have. Feige did something first that no one else has successfully pulled off and that's great but the cracks started to show in phase 3. From what I understand phase 4 is probably the least favorite phase thus far. Perhaps giving Feige the TV side of the mcu was too much. He's a man not a robot.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17 the_stegman  Moderator

It's crazy to me that Discovery will be the one consuming HBO when I thought it would be the opposite. HBO seems MUGH larger than Discovery.

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

If they cancel Harley Quinn I'm gonna be pissed.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: Agreed. Wait does that mean discovery is acquiring comcast or is comcast selling wb? Either way I pray we finally have good management. We need leadership. Being second to the MCU is one thing but this is DC, we shouldn't be this far behind.

@straight-fire: can't imagine why I thought it was popular?

Army2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope they don't cancel the green Lantern HBO max series.

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#21  Edited By AssertingValor  Online

Any shows they keep hopefully they keep the same writers.. I need to check out Doom Patrol quick.

HBO may be in alot of debt and selling it's properties or a buy out was inevitable..

Just checked, yes they only had about 20,000 paying subscribers is why..Production is costly....

McFlicky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never even knew these were a thing so whatever

Aystarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they cancel Harley Quinn I'm gonna be pissed.

I'm so scared lol

No Caption Provided

SpongeGar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the head of the company is probably snorting cocaine as we speak

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

absolutespirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the head of the company is probably snorting cocaine as we speak

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope they don't cancel Doom Patrol or Harley Quinn.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any shows they keep hopefully they keep the same writers.. I need to check out Doom Patrol quick.

HBO may be in alot of debt and selling it's properties or a buy out was inevitable..

Just checked, yes they only had about 20,000 paying subscribers is why..Production is costly....

Why would they be in debt

Great_Darkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By entropy_aegis

I've been looking at the news with great interest and I have to say that I'm not a least bit saddened at all. A lot of DC projects existed for vanity reasons. They would create content and spin offs based on the wishes of certain creative, actor or due to affiliation to a major brand (almost entirely Batman).

The Harley Quinn series does NOT require a spin off about f#cking Kite-Man. There's no justification for a Black Canary solo feature that uses the flop Birds of Prey film as a launch pad. Why were they making a Supergirl flick when they cannot even get Superman right? who asked for a tv show starring a non character like Val Zod? There was never any need for that atrocious Gotham Knights show and Batwoman was a disaster from day one. The DCEU needed a hard reboot and this is what those actually look like period. If Black Adam succeeds then let it be its own Shazam verse. Otherwise just release Aquaman 2 and Flashpoint then be done with it.

Even though I really liked the Matt Reeves I still cannot feel the need to justify a Penguin series. The decision to cancel the GCPD show was the right one. We just had Gotham which was about cops and Penguin's rise to power. The sequel to the Joker film also takes place in Arkham and features a Harley like character. Reeves's Arkham show sounds similar to that. These projects are just too redundant. Catwoman getting a spin off would've made the most sense.

On the animated side of things, I expect the Superman cartoon to get moved to CN. The Batman cartoon will also most likely move to CN but after quite a bit of censorship. I don't mind because as it turns out censorship is what kept Timm in check during his BTAS days. YJ can get canned, Weisman has been stringing along his fanboys for a decade now. Doom Patrol and Titans are nearing the end of their runs anyway. CW should just die already.

Far as I'm concerned all this is needed.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Well, I am not really saddened by those news to be honest. Problem with these cancellations is that even after we get all those TV shows, cartoons and movies cancelled, we still won't have a clear direction for a probably DC cinematic universe. The problem with DC and WB is that there is no clear direction and they have no idea what to do with their properties.

As for the cancellations themselves, I just hope that if they, by some reason, cancel future James Gunn Suicide Squad movies that they at least keep him for future such movies or just give him another franchise which he can tackle. His formula is a successful one and his movies are entertaining and fun, so DC should keep a guy like that. WB can cancel the Peacemaker show for all I care as I don't think it was necessary in any way, so it can really go away.

Avatar image for deactivated-635a8f29e06c3
deactivated-635a8f29e06c3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

A purging is required to refocus and chart out a clear direction.

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

@kgb725: not HBO itself but in it's streaming max line. Projects constantly going over budget more, likely and wo acceptable returns.

Im not sure why they would axe projects that are nearly complete at this point but it definitely halts calls for any additional seasons or sequels that will also loose $.

I heard Discovery and WB want to focus on theatrical films more and streaming films less. I don't think we know alot yet.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that Discovery+ will never have the same brand recognition power as HBO.

But what do I know.

Pandalumina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

😬😬😬

Avatar image for chris2kzombieki
chris2kzombieki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It sucks, I may not like DC as much as Marvel, but I know they have their moments. Shazam, Wonder Woman, Aqauman and The Suicide Squad {James Gunn version} are all AMAZING movies. But they release The Snyder Cut, and 1984. Like why?!? You guys were fine! You didn't need the last two movies!