More cringe line: "Why did you say that name?" or "Because before you didn't have me"

• 53 results
Claymoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll More cringe line: "Why did you say that name?" or "Because before you didn't have me" (94 votes)

Angry Batman 49%
Overconfident Captain Marvel 51%
No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
 • 
Aberdeen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's so cringe about what Carol said?

Army2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't like Carol's line but it wasn't that bad in my opinion, she didn't see Thanos or his army so it made sense why she was so confident.

TobeyMaguire84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It fits her character since she is undefeated for decades at that point There is nothing Cringy about it. And Batman is more like WTF than cringy.

Avatar image for kryptonianking88
KryptonianKing88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both lines fit their character/story. Actual cringe line:

“She’s got help” and then Captain Marvel just blows through Thanos’s army without needing any help

DarkRealm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Carol's line was fine.

g2_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Carol's line fits with her character, she is very cocky and that's why she got wrecked by Thanos.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pff never Bruce. The resolution was forshadowed and well acted.

Mahfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both lines fit their character/story. Actual cringe line:

“She’s got help” and then Captain Marvel just blows through Thanos’s army without needing any help

Conetolll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@army2442 said:

I didn't like Carol's line but it wasn't that bad in my opinion, she didn't see Thanos or his army so it made sense why she was so confident.

yejj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batmans

Avatar image for miguelcervantes
MiguelCervantes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MiguelCervantes
@conetolll said:
@army2442 said:

It makes less sense actually since she didn't know who he was and being confident of the unknown is a bad idea.

Triplek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Carol is chessy

LightorDark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don’t understand why everyone hates on the “why did you say that name” line so much.

Bruce is Batman because of what happened to his parents. He watched his mom die, and in his dad’s final breath, he said “Martha.” That is the last word Bruce ever head his dad say.

No one sees why that might trigger Bruce? It was set up from the very beginning of the film.

The sudden change of heart is what was muddled. Bruce suddenly seeing Superman as a person with a mother didn’t translate as well as it could have.

I don’t have a problem with Carol’s line either. She bodies Thanos and his army later, so she was right. The only thing that stopped her was the power stone.

Of course the problem is that her and Wanda could have been the only two in the EG fight, and the outcome would have been the same, and no hero would have died.

SuperDarth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DCEU fans seem to cope a lot. The Martha line is bad, stop defending it.

J_Normal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This poll isnt Biased at all.

Carol had every right to feel that way an it matches her ego

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@conetolll said:
@army2442 said:

It makes less sense actually since she didn't know who he was and being confident of the unknown is a bad idea.

That’s kind of the point though. It shows how reckless and overconfident she is, which is far more character than what Carol displays in her own movie.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@j_normal said:

If this is sarcasm, I side with it.

Seriously. Do people not understand that reckless, hot-headed, and egotistical characters would say this in-character? Or that MCU Carol’s bland personality doesn’t allow her this much character normally and I line like this actually gives her some bit of human characteristic?

Meanwhile, the overreaction by Bruce insinuates he never in his life came across anyone with the name Martha and thus never had any chance to have a breakdown like that. A well-seasoned Batman. Breaking down at the mention of a very common civilian name.

Avatar image for miguelcervantes
MiguelCervantes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

heiqn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@pyrofn said:

Seriously. Do people not understand that reckless, hot-headed, and egotistical characters would say this in-character? Or that MCU Carol’s bland personality doesn’t allow her this much character normally and I line like this actually gives her some bit of human characteristic?

Meanwhile, the overreaction by Bruce insinuates he never in his life came across anyone with the name Martha and thus never had any chance to have a breakdown like that. A well-seasoned Batman. Breaking down at the mention of a very common civilian name.

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

s

@pyrofn said:
@j_normal said:

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn said:
@j_normal said:

Seconded.

Edgelord91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Martha line is better for me. I'd be confused too if the guy I'm about to kill asked me to save someone with my mom's name.

The didn't have me line is worse for me because Thanos was hyped by a kree commander as "the most powerful being in the universe". The first thing that came to mind when she said that was "Thanos has been culling entire populations for DECADES and is directly allied with the Kree. If he's so weak why haven't you stopped him already!?"

That's more a problem with continuity than her character but for me it was worse

SuperDarth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comic Vine when the DCEU does something cringe

No Caption Provided

Comic Vine when the MCU does something cringe

No Caption Provided

If the Martha line was from the MCU, I know for a fact everyone would be shitting on it.

EmmaFrostXmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

carol’s line was and still is badass. if tony or thor said that you all would turn it into a feat somehow i swear to god

nassergrant19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By nassergrant19  Online
@emmafrostxmen said:

carol’s line was and still is badass. if tony or thor said that you all would turn it into a feat somehow i swear to god

Tony objectively couldn’t say it ofc.

However it would be out of character for Thor to say it. Thor is the strongest Avenger but he’d rarely brag about that as that would be more akin to his Phase 1 personality.

Going forward into Phase 5, he might bring it up if the situation is dire and he wants to be honest.

EmmaFrostXmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By EmmaFrostXmen

@nassergrant19: not at all the point of what i said. i didn’t say whether they would say it or not.

i said that had they repeated the line people would think it was sick. tony himself honestly would say something like this and probably has, but nobody bats an eye. people are just shitty and the line is completely fine.

nassergrant19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 nassergrant19  Online

@nassergrant19: not at all the point of what i said. i didn’t say whether they would say it or not.

i said that had they repeated the line people would think it was sick. tony himself honestly would say something like this and probably has, but nobody bats an eye. people are just shitty and the line is completely fine.

In terms of being the brains of the operation yeah Tony could say that however nobody would bat an eye due to going through a character arc that overshadows his arrogance. Tony Stark is pretty arrogant but what overshadows that was his arc of learning about his mistakes. So whenever he makes a snarky witty arrogant remark people treat it as entertaining.

Similar to Vegeta from DBZ who learned humility. Carol on the other hand didn’t go through that at all. Which is why no one likes the line for the most part.

EmmaFrostXmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nassergrant19: people don’t need to be arrogant or instantly fleshed out. in endgame it was only her second appearance. by tony’s second appearance he was an asshole still but still nobody said anything and still treated it as entertaining. same thing happens for carol and everyone hates her……….double standards

nassergrant19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By nassergrant19  Online
@emmafrostxmen said:

@nassergrant19: people don’t need to be arrogant or instantly fleshed out. in endgame it was only her second appearance. by tony’s second appearance he was an asshole still but still nobody said anything and still treated it as entertaining. same thing happens for carol and everyone hates her……….double standards

To be fair Tony learned humility in his first film. That’s why everyone loved him.

His whole arc was going from a narcissist playboy who used his wealth/smarts for destruction into a person who realized his ways were causing suffering. That’s why he turns into a hero and borderline sacrifices his life in the first film to save pepper.

Carol didn’t go through that at all. Her entire character is relegated to challenging Thor’s power and strength. That‘s why she exists, to remain a rival to the strongest Avenger.

Sorta like Black Adam’s introduction to the DCEU. Who is the first Justice League member he squares up against face to face in a combative manner? Superman.

Who is the first Avenger Carol squares up against face to face in a combative manner? Thor.

Not much depth at all, so when she says the line, it comes off as cringe. When she has more development I’m certain more people will like her I’m sure.

EmmaFrostXmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nassergrant19: implying her character somehow revolves around thor is ridiculous. they had a brief standoff where thor attempted to intimidate her and failed then admitted that he liked her, that’s all.

Phantom25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It fits her character since she is undefeated for decades at that point There is nothing Cringy about it. And Batman is more like WTF than cringy.

nassergrant19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By nassergrant19  Online
@emmafrostxmen said:

@nassergrant19: implying her character somehow revolves around thor is ridiculous. they had a brief standoff where thor attempted to intimidate her and failed then admitted that he liked her, that’s all.

I mean it’s pretty clear it revolves around him. That’s the intent. They are rivals.

That‘s the whole reason she was WoG considered the strongest in EG and the Russos stated she’s as powerful as Thor. Now WoG has L&T Thor as the strongest again. It’s a constant back and forth.

The scene where Thor gets in her face is a direct example of that.

Also why do you think What If? had them fight and stalemate while Thor was goofing around?

It’s fairly clear, just like Black Adam and Superman.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 rogueshadow  Moderator

Carol was just dropping facts. Straight to the protein, there was no point in beating around the bush.

She had hands for everybody in that room and she knew it. No reason to hate on her for being right.

No Caption Provided

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Carol was just dropping facts. Straight to the protein, there was no point in beating around the bush.

She had hands for everybody in that room and she knew it. No reason to hate on her for being right.

No Caption Provided

EmmaFrostXmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nassergrant19: no her character has nothing to do with thor. they’ve interacted once and your using creator statements (which have nothing to do with her “character”) to decide that’s all she’s about.

nassergrant19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By nassergrant19  Online
@emmafrostxmen said:

@nassergrant19: no her character has nothing to do with thor. they’ve interacted once and your using creator statements (which have nothing to do with her “character”) to decide that’s all she’s about.

The entire purpose of her character is to be the female powerhouse in direct contrast to the male powerhouse.

Her film comes out right after IW where Nick Fury signals for her. After her film is done and she meets the Avengers the Russos say, “She’s as powerful as Thor so it seems like the team has hope again.”

In comics it’s a bit different but in the MCU they make it very clear. Maybe not all she’s about but at least 90% of it.

Otherwise they wouldn’t have bothered having Thor/Carol do a rival stare down, have the Russos state her presence gives the team hope like Thor, dedicate an entire What If episode to them fighting evenly.

That’s the entire intent behind her character. Besides that, there’s not much else besides stomping the Kree and saving the day which isn’t anything special or original.

EmmaFrostXmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nassergrant19: no. that isn’t at all the purpose of her character😭😭😭😂😂😂😂

she’s meant to be a character that overcomes hardships, is confident in herself, and doesn’t back down. thor is quite irrelevant to her story. makes sense you would take a little scene from endgame and make it her entire personality tho just cuz it involves thor. i don’t even like carol at least i like thor (although his last movie did suck)

nassergrant19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By nassergrant19  Online

@emmafrostxmen:

no. that isn’t at all the purpose of her character😭😭😭😂😂😂😂

Think of the timing of her character man.

she’s meant to be a character that overcomes hardships, is confident in herself, and doesn’t back down.

Yes those are all true but in the context of the MCU her purpose is what I said.

thor is quite irrelevant to her story.

Her origin/background story he’s irrelevant, but her existence in the MCU at large for sure he’s relevant.

For example, of course Superman has nothing to do with Black Adam’s story. All the hardships he overcame and him eventually defending the people of Khandaq have nothing to do with Clark. However in the DCEU at large, the intent of his character is to be the ultimate rival for Superman.

That’s why on his debut alone he was already JL Superman level and legit meets him face to face first.

Carol’s journey had nothing to do with Thor, however her presence in the MCU at large is to be the ultimate rival for Thor.

makes sense you would take a little scene from endgame and make it her entire personality tho just cuz it involves thor.

What are you implying by this?

i don’t even like carol at least i like thor (although his last movie did suck)

Ehh…oh and yeah it was pretty bad, but I think Thor 5 will be a huge step up.

Avatar image for deactivated-64232b99e9c14
deactivated-64232b99e9c14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emmafrostxmen said:

Edit: Goddamnit I just remembered gifs don't pop up anymore... It's a wheeze gif if you're wondering.

EmmaFrostXmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EmmaFrostXmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nassergrant19: you make every mcu thread about thor always other users have pointed this out several times. i used him as an example with tony because i’m right: had either of them said it nobody would care. people search for reasons to dislike carol and there are reasons (she’s kinda boring) but her being powerful and confident surely isn’t one of them.

nassergrant19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By nassergrant19  Online

@emmafrostxmen:

you make every mcu thread about thor always other users have pointed this out several times.

Ok…I like Thor, he’s one of my favorite characters. That doesn’t mean my judgement on an objective matter will be skewed.

used him as an example with tony because i’m right: had either of them said it nobody would care.

Because they are likable characters with incredible character development that overshadows their egotistical traits.

people search for reasons to dislike carol and there are reasons (she’s kinda boring) but her being powerful and confident surely isn’t one of them.

Considering Thor is more powerful than her and is definitely as confident if not more, I doubt that’s the reason. Thor is the strongest Avenger and everyone loves him. It isn’t power related.

I’m indifferent on Carol as I don’t really care but people don’t like her due to her overconfidence with little development.

Silencemood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Martha line is better for me. I'd be confused too if the guy I'm about to kill asked me to save someone with my mom's name.

The didn't have me line is worse for me because Thanos was hyped by a kree commander as "the most powerful being in the universe". The first thing that came to mind when she said that was "Thanos has been culling entire populations for DECADES and is directly allied with the Kree. If he's so weak why haven't you stopped him already!?"

That's more a problem with continuity than her character but for me it was worse

CAV_Tighten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What was so cringe about what Carol said? She took down the giant warship herself and was obliterating every enemy in a 5 meter radius just by flying by.

She wasn't lying etc. Only problem is she struggles for a bit with the guy who can't damage trees.

briangriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By briangriff

"To bats its lethal, to humans its deadly".

Laiks Stake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CM stomps.