• 70 results
danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By danhimself

I was honestly smiling the whole time I was reading this guy's blog.  Here is a guy who loves comics so much that he's out there trying to get other people into them.  He goes out and finds someone who's never read comics before, finds out what kinds of media they like, then gives them a bunch of trades to read over the course of 2 weeks.  Two weeks later they come back and tell him what they thought.  Reading some of these people's reactions seriously made my night.  It's so awesome that he's out there getting people who have never tried comics before to be actually excited to read more.  LOVE IT!!

By the way here's the link.

http://joemulveyart.com/

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jnr6Lil

Don't really say more comic fans should be doing, You might be coming off as a forceful purpose, and it may not work today given comic book fans are already seen as nerds.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By danhimself
@Jnr6Lil said:
Don't really say more comic fans should be doing, You might be coming off as a forceful purpose, and it may not work today given comic book fans are already seen as nerds.
it should be a forceful purpose....comic book sales are at an all time low so maybe if we started actively recruiting we could help save the industry....I could care less if I'm seen as a nerd...I love comics and if others do to then we should be willing to do what's necessary to protect the industry....one of the guys he interviews asks that if this is such a great form of media then why don't people hear more about it....maybe we should be more vocal about it
Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jnr6Lil

Comic Book Sales are lowing but they still can stand on their two feet, You shouldn't go around forcing people to read comics, That comes off as rude. Also going around telling people to read comics cant hurt them in the long run, People at school get bullied for this,

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By InnerVenom123
@Jnr6Lil said:
Comic Book Sales are lowing but they still can stand on their two feet, You shouldn't go around forcing people to read comics, That comes off as rude. Also going around telling people to read comics cant hurt them in the long run, People at school get bullied for this,
Really? Because I brought trades to my high school every day, and every day, people were borrowing them from me and reading and loving it (I didn't even have to ask). This kind of action doesn't have to be rude, you can just ask nicely. And so what if people get made fun of? Why should that stop it? All kinds of people get made fun of. F**k bullies. If you let them control what you do, then you're just a little coward. 
danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By danhimself
@InnerVenom123 said:
@Jnr6Lil said:
Really? Because I brought trades to my high school every day, and every day, people were borrowing them from me and reading and loving it (I didn't even have to ask). This kind of action doesn't have to be rude, you can just ask nicely. And so what if people get made fun of? Why should that stop it? All kinds of people get made fun of. F**k bullies. If you let them control what you do, then you're just a little coward. 
exactly....no one said anything about forcing people to read them...I'm not going to hold a gun to someone's head and make them read Great Lake Avengers....the guy who's blog I linked to isn't forcing anyone...he's going around and asking people and then giving them money to download books on their Ipads or buy trades with....he's being proactive...that's the key....and live IV said...if you're letting bullies or whoever influence who you are than you're a coward anyway
Mizz_Coconut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Mizz_Coconut

Was talking to my mate about books in general and was reading Rising Stars at the time and i told her about a part in the book concerning spirits, so brought the comic in for her and she read the whole series. 
Theres more comic books movies out there then ever now and people LOVE them! Batman, Ironman, Scott Pilgrim, Kickass.  
i think more people would read comics but its SO vast they have no idea where to start! just did a reveiw on The Veil and had a number of people asking if they can borrow it.  
Comics are considered mostly geeky, but if its introduced to someone like this guy seems to be doing all the better and i mean seriously as if someone who reads comics is gonna start shoving them down peoples throats.  
Im glad ya posted that up Dan seems dead cool, and the fact the guys finding what media they like means he can choose what kinda comic, doesnt have to be superheros =]
Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sesquipedalophobe

I like how funny the guy is during his interviews. As for forcing people to read, it just doesn't happen. You couldn't pick up a book, whether someone else recommends it or not, and feel like you just wasted minutes of your time. For the most part he comes off as a little too straight forward and critical of people's opinions and apathy toward specific comics, never mind that he is recommending comics that just don't measure up to their own genres, so much in fact that I didn't read past the first issues to want to spend what could have afforded me either a Monster or tray of nachos. It's a leisure pleasure that no doubt starts from childhood and it's very rare to interest set minds to a medium that requires imagination and a little bit of wallet padding. But like I said, he's funny.
JoeMulvey : Do you take douche pills to control you’re levels of douchery? You must. You have to. 

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By danhimself
@sesquipedalophobe said:
I like how funny the guy is during his interviews.  

JoeMulvey: Do you take douche pills to control you’re levels of douchery? You must. You have to.

lol yeah that was the one interview with the guy who was seriously being a huge douche the entire interview
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sesquipedalophobe
@danhimself: Yeah, I skimmed over that specific interview till a lung collapsed. Douche caught my eye and I read it all over again, savoring every opinion and insult he threw at him. I felt he wasted money on that guy. I recently bought my nephew the whole Ender's Game series and he enjoyed them, but he read the book at an early age like I did.
danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By danhimself
@sesquipedalophobe: yeah I would have stopped that interview right away...just goes to show that the guy has conviction

that's awesome...I've never read any of Orson Scott Card stuff
Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#11  Edited By Deadcool

Everytime I talk to my friends, I tell them how EPIC are some comicbook issues, and they like them, but they don`t buy them...

sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself: Most of his work is decent, but unfortunately people complain that he's homophobic. It doesn't show in his work, though. I first read Ender's Game when I was eight and pissed off my teacher when I gave a book report on it.
VanAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By VanAce

I've done this with a few friends. Some friends have sort have been interested but have no idea where to begin or had no idea what was out there beyond the obvious. I've been lending friends trade that I have (Y: The Last Man, Ex Machina, Killing Joke, Chew, Walking Dead and some super hero stuff) and seen what they think. This has worked well with one friend and he has started picking up Amazing Spiderman and will be picking up a few DC comics come September. 

Also others I have used The New 52 as another way for friends to get into comics. 

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By danhimself
@VanAce: despite some of my feelings about the new 52 I've got to say that it really is the perfect time to get new people into DC comics
VanAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By VanAce

Also Marvel have had a bunch of #1s which have been quite acessable to new readers like The Punisher and DareDevil

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Loki9876

i got my cousin intrested in comics does that count.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#17  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

I've kinda helped in bringing some people into comics but they almost always end up collecting trades, still counts though.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Loki9876

i'm still in school everybody knows i read them annd i'm not bullied, not everyone is as open to it as others but they don't bully

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jnr6Lil
@danhimself said:
@InnerVenom123 said:
@Jnr6Lil said:
exactly....no one said anything about forcing people to read them...I'm not going to hold a gun to someone's head and make them read Great Lake Avengers....the guy who's blog I linked to isn't forcing anyone...he's going around and asking people and then giving them money to download books on their Ipads or buy trades with....he's being proactive...that's the key....and live IV said...if you're letting bullies or whoever influence who you are than you're a coward anyway  
@InnerVenom123 said:
@Jnr6Lil said:
Well if people don't want to read comics don't force them to read it. You can't call someone a coward for being bullied, Not everyone can take it especially when stuff spreads aroudn, i can honestly say I wouldn't go around telling people to read comics because it would be embarasssing, It would also pressure the person.
InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By InnerVenom123
@Jnr6Lil said:

Well if people don't want to read comics don't force them to read it. You can't call someone a coward for being bullied, Not everyone can take it especially when stuff spreads aroudn, i can honestly say I wouldn't go around telling people to read comics because it would be embarasssing, It would also pressure the person.
I'm not. But if you let them dictate what you do, you're a coward. There's a difference. I'm sorry you can't quite seem to grasp it. And it doesn't have to be embarassing or pressure. You don't walk up to someone, shove "New X-men" in their face and shout "READ THIS YOU F**KER". 
Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jnr6Lil
@InnerVenom123 said:
@Jnr6Lil said:

I'm not. But if you let them dictate what you do, you're a coward. There's a difference. I'm sorry you can't quite seem to grasp it. And it doesn't have to be embarassing or pressure. You don't walk up to someone, shove "New X-men" in their face and shout "READ THIS YOU F**KER". 
Not saying that but going around telling people to read comics can be pressuring. 

Doesn't mea you're a coward, You don't know how people grow up, or even the full lenght of what bullying can do, Bullying has changed, It's sually not just one bully anymore, It now can spread to the whole school
danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By danhimself
@Jnr6Lil said:
@InnerVenom123 said:
@Jnr6Lil said:

Not saying that but going around telling people to read comics can be pressuring.  Doesn't mea you're a coward, You don't know how people grow up, or even the full lenght of what bullying can do, Bullying has changed, It's sually not just one bully anymore, It now can spread to the whole school
the guy in the blog isn't "telling" anyone to do anything...he's asking them to give something new a try and even paying for the books they're trying out.....I still don't see how admitting that you read comics to a stranger is embarrassing
Koge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Koge

I like introducing younger children to comics.  When I started working as a tutor for k-8 I was surprised to see how many kids didn't even know comics were still in print.  Not only were a bunch of kids exposed to a new hobby, but the experience broadened my own horizons.  I probably wouldn't have picked up an issue of Tiny Titans if I wasn't looking for an easier read for the kids, but now I can't put it down!

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jnr6Lil
@danhimself said:
@Jnr6Lil said:
@InnerVenom123 said:
@Jnr6Lil said:

Not saying that but going around telling people to read comics can be pressuring.  Doesn't mea you're a coward, You don't know how people grow up, or even the full lenght of what bullying can do, Bullying has changed, It's sually not just one bully anymore, It now can spread to the whole school
the guy in the blog isn't "telling" anyone to do anything...he's asking them to give something new a try and even paying for the books they're trying out.....I still don't see how admitting that you read comics to a stranger is embarrassing
Admitting you read comics to a stranger is a psycho and is kind of dumb to do, It would embarassing if you told them to your friends.
InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By InnerVenom123
@Jnr6Lil said:
@danhimself said:
@Jnr6Lil said:
@InnerVenom123 said:
@Jnr6Lil said:

Admitting you read comics to a stranger is a psycho and is kind of dumb to do, It would embarassing if you told them to your friends.
What planet do you live on? Seriously. I'm actually curious. 
Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jnr6Lil
@InnerVenom123 said:
@Jnr6Lil said:
@danhimself said:
@Jnr6Lil said:
@InnerVenom123 said:
@Jnr6Lil said:

just saying you can't just randomly walk up to a person on the street and try to get them to like comics.
Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By Billy Batson
@InnerVenom123 said:
@Jnr6Lil said:

What about Agent Venom? 

BB

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By InnerVenom123
@Billy Batson said:
@InnerVenom123 said:
@Jnr6Lil said:

What about Agent Venom? 

BB

1. That's not even the title of the book.
  2. I don't see your point. 
_Marco_Smith_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By _Marco_Smith_
@Jnr6Lil said:
@InnerVenom123 said:
@Jnr6Lil said:
@danhimself said:
@Jnr6Lil said:
@InnerVenom123 said:
@Jnr6Lil said:

just saying you can't just randomly walk up to a person on the street and try to get them to like comics.
Sure you can. If people walk up to me on the street, and try and get me to join their religion, then I sure as hell can do the same with comics.
Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By Billy Batson
@InnerVenom123 said:
@Billy Batson said:
@InnerVenom123 said:
@Jnr6Lil said:

What about Agent Venom? 

BB

1. I know, it's Venom, I call it Agent Venom. U mad? 

2. a joke. 

BB

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By InnerVenom123
@Billy Batson said:
@InnerVenom123 said:
@Billy Batson said:
@InnerVenom123 said:
@Jnr6Lil said:

What about Agent Venom? 

BB

1. I know, it's Venom, I call it Agent Venom. U mad? 

2. a joke. 

BB

1. Not really. :P
  2. I see. 
Or35ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Or35ti

This man will save the comics industry. I've tried getting my friends hooked on comic books before and even succeeded with a couple of them. One of my friends got so into Green Lantern that he bought Geoff Johns's entire run. The other is just like me, he likes to read and buy everything

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By danhimself
@Jnr6Lil said:
@danhimself said:
@Jnr6Lil said:
@InnerVenom123 said:
@Jnr6Lil said:

why is it embarrassing?  full blown adults can read Harry Potter and Twilight and go to midnight releases of the movies and not be embarrassed but it's embarrassing for you to admit liking comics?  that doesn't make any sense to me
_Marco_Smith_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By _Marco_Smith_

Hah! The Dennis conversation is hilarious.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Loki9876
@_Marco_Smith_
the woman too mrssomething (she says comics are childish because they drawn but she watches family guy and that isn't childish because it has mature stories)
Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jnr6Lil
@danhimself said:
@Jnr6Lil said:
@danhimself said:
@Jnr6Lil said:
@InnerVenom123 said:
@Jnr6Lil said:

why is it embarrassing?  full blown adults can read Harry Potter and Twilight and go to midnight releases of the movies and not be embarrassed but it's embarrassing for you to admit liking comics?  that doesn't make any sense to me  
 Again not all people who like comics are adults, Some are teenagers, even kids and go around admitting they like comics can be hard for them. Of course adults wouldn't be embarassed, They've passed that stage and really don't have any friends who would care.
@_Marco_Smith_
said:
@Jnr6Lil said:
@InnerVenom123 said:
@Jnr6Lil said:
@danhimself said:
@Jnr6Lil said:
@InnerVenom123 said:
@Jnr6Lil said:

Sure you can. If people walk up to me on the street, and try and get me to join their religion, then I sure as hell can do the same with comics.
No you can't, You don't know who's going to take you seriously and call the cops on you.
Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Primmaster64

cool.

The second guy should had just said he didn't like it and that's it.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Primmaster64
@_Marco_Smith_: that guy pretty much should had say that he doesn't like comics.
_Marco_Smith_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By _Marco_Smith_
@Jnr6Lil: Yeah I can. It's not some unbreakable law like gravity. There is not some invisible force that stops me when I try to get a person to read some comics.

@Primmaster64: Even trying to get him to say yes or no to the notion was a hassle :P
Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Primmaster64
@_Marco_Smith_: Oh well...should have just asked him from the begining, Do you like comics? Why not? Thanks.
_Marco_Smith_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By _Marco_Smith_
@Primmaster64: I guess he just liked to argue.
Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Primmaster64
@_Marco_Smith_: I read both...That Dennis guy is a dick, should have just said no from a beginning...Oh well.
_Marco_Smith_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By _Marco_Smith_
@Primmaster64: Oh well. I thought it was pretty funny.
Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Primmaster64
@_Marco_Smith_: Indeed
Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jnr6Lil
@_Marco_Smith_ said:
@Jnr6Lil: Yeah I can. It's not some unbreakable law like gravity. There is not some invisible force that stops me when I try to get a person to read some comics.

@Primmaster64: Even trying to get him to say yes or no to the notion was a hassle :P
Okay go a head and try, Watch someone freak out
_Marco_Smith_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By _Marco_Smith_
@Jnr6Lil: You got that right! They'll love the comics so much they'll freak out, and scream at the top of their lungs in sheer joy!
Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jnr6Lil
@_Marco_Smith_ said:
@Jnr6Lil: You got that right! They'll love the comics so much they'll freak out, and scream at the top of their lungs in sheer joy!
Who says they'll love the comics, Running to someone on the street, trying to get them to buy comics will freak them out.
_Marco_Smith_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By _Marco_Smith_
@Jnr6Lil: Why the man that whispers in my head, and tells me to light things on fire says so my good man.
danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By danhimself
@Jnr6Lil said:
@_Marco_Smith_ said:
Who says they'll love the comics, Running to someone on the street, trying to get them to buy comics will freak them out.
it seems like you think that this guy is being super aggressive....haven't you ever seen newscasters on tv doing street interviews....what's the difference between this and that?
_Marco_Smith_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By _Marco_Smith_
@danhimself said:
@Jnr6Lil said:
@_Marco_Smith_ said:
it seems like you think that this guy is being super aggressive....haven't you ever seen newscasters on tv doing street interviews....what's the difference between this and that?
Well, apparently sheer terror starts rushing through a persons system as soon as the word, comic book is spoken :P