Mind Rape - Let's Re-Name It

• 84 results
tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I'll say this right now, this isn't a battle. I think everyone understands that, but this thread would be worthless anywhere else, and I think this deserves to be in the battle section. If you don't like this here, feel free to flag this thread, and the mods can take care of it as they see fit, but there is no need to say "Not a battle", a hundred times and clog this thread.

I'm pretty laid back, and don't really care about people being politically correct or not on the internet, but there is one term used a ton in the battle forums, that I think we need to re-invent: MindRape.

I understand why this word makes sense. Telepaths force themselves inside an unwilling character's brain, so I get why it's used so much, and I'm not even mad about people using it, but I still don't think we should throw that word around so casually. I just think we can think of something better.

There's a big emotional, physical, and psychological difference between fictional characters having their brains messed with, and a serious sexual assault that takes place every day in real life all over the world. This word probably doesn't bother a large percentage of viners, but I can guarantee there are some on here that don't want to see this word being used so out of context. There's no reason why we need to make this comparison, and I don't think that word needs to pollute the battle threads as much as it does.

I don't want anyone to think I'm trying to start a big issue of restricting anyone's freedom of speech or anything dramatic like that, because like I said, I don't even get mad when I see the word. I also don't think there is anything wrong with using the word rape, as long as it is in context. For instance, if someone is referring to Invincible #110 (sorry for spoilers if you haven't read) where rape was an actual factor in Mark's ability to fight in a battle, I think it's appropriate to use the word in the battle threads. We don't need to dance around it, we just should consider that this word may bring up some bad experiences for others, and maybe we should be respectful of these other people. Obviously these people are not going to reply to you when you use the word, and explain why that word is upsetting, because no one is ever going to want to go into that on comicvine, but that doesn't mean you aren't using a word that might bring back memories that are painful just because no one has said anything to you yet.

The purpose of this thread though, is to try and create a better term, that will catch on and replace the former word. So if you agree that the term should be re-invented, pleas help with some suggestions. If you do not agree, that's fine, and feel free to leave your opinion, but please be respectful.

TheKilBorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Maybe Brain Break/Breaker???

Like if I were to say MMH is a casual Brain Breaker and has the power to Brain Break Supes+ level characters???

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well the word rape is actually banned in that context on comicvine so people shouldn't be using that term.

All though yea we should think of a new word I guess.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Mind-Screw?

Mentally Dominate?

Lobotimizes?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

TL;DR

Not a battle

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laflux said:

Lobotimizes?

That'll do.

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Dextersinister
No Caption Provided

DarkRaiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

idk...it's the perfect term tbh. It describes exactly what's being done.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mind-Plunder

Mind-Pillage

Mind-Molestation

Mind-Invasion

Mind-Assault

Mind-Penetrate

Dratini1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe Brain Break/Breaker???

Loading Video...

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dratini1331: The moment when you realize, Yami could have taken over the world if he really wanted to. Dat Mind Crush.

ssj_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks:

• thought puppet
  • mental toying
  • mind owning

tried to be a little original

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brainrape? Or am I missing the point?

That actually made me laugh out loud :)

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's also rude, unpleasant and completely inappropriate.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DarkRaiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkraiden said:

I wouldn't really call it rude tbh. It's just a term that correctly describes the action you're speaking of. Nothing rude about it.

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sheenlantern said:

@darkraiden said:

I wouldn't really call it rude tbh. It's just a term that correctly describes the action you're speaking of. Nothing rude about it.

Nothing rude about it....

Well pardon me for being able to imagine a rape victim interpreting the use of the word rape as a casuall synonym for defeat as rude at best and completely vile and detestable at worst.

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nonconsensual mind sex

DarkRaiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkraiden said:

@sheenlantern said:

@darkraiden said:

Well pardon me for being able to imagine a rape victim interpreting the use of the word rape as a casuall synonym for defeat as rude at best and completely vile and detestable at worst.

Again, not directed at a person, can't be rude. It's not derogatory, nor is it an offensive term. It's an offensive action and it happens to describe both that action and the one we're discussing with great accuracy. Don't see how it's rude. That's like saying the word "abuse" is rude to those who've been abused.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blade_r said:

Nonconsensual mind sex

/thread

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sheenlantern said:

@darkraiden said:

@sheenlantern said:

@darkraiden said:

Again, not directed at a person, can't be rude. It's not derogatory, nor is it an offensive term. It's an offensive action and it happens to describe both that action and the one we're discussing with great accuracy. Don't see how it's rude. That's like saying the word "abuse" is rude to those who've been abused.

It is against site rules to use the word rape for reasons sheenlantern has stated. Its been against the rules for the last 2 years or so.

DarkRaiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44 said:
@darkraiden said:

@sheenlantern said:

@darkraiden said:

@sheenlantern said:

@darkraiden said:

It is against site rules to use the word rape for reasons sheenlantern has stated. Its been against the rules for the last 2 years or so.

A very stupid rule.

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

... Mind F**k?

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkraiden: Not really. People were offended with the term being used... Its not meant to be a term thrown around lightly.

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkraiden:

Again, not directed at a person, can't be rude.

Rude Definition: offensively impolite or bad-mannered.

It's not derogatory

Derogatory Definition: showing a critical or disrespectful attitude.

It's an offensive action and it happens to describe both that action and the one we're discussing with great accuracy.

ಠ_ಠ

Riiiight, so why do you have a problem with changing the name to potentially an even more accurate definition. Surely a sacrifice in accuracy is worth any stopping victims of sexual abuse getting alienated or otherwise upset.

Don't see how it's rude. That's like saying the word "abuse" is rude to those who've been abused.

You've never met a victim of sexual abuse, have you? Rape is just a little bit extremely f***ing traumatic, and it can haunt and scar a person for the rest of their life, and you, showing absolutely no sympathy or acknowledgment in the fact that words can sometimes hurt, and even going so far as to completely ignore it just paints you in the light of a colossal douchebag.

DarkRaiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkraiden:

Again, not directed at a person, can't be rude.

Rude Definition: offensively impolite or bad-mannered.

It's not derogatory

Derogatory Definition: showing a critical or disrespectful attitude.

It's an offensive action and it happens to describe both that action and the one we're discussing with great accuracy.

ಠ_ಠ

Riiiight, so why do you have a problem with changing the name to potentially an even more accurate definition. Surely a sacrifice in accuracy is worth any stopping victims of sexual abuse getting alienated or otherwise upset.

Don't see how it's rude. That's like saying the word "abuse" is rude to those who've been abused.

You've never met a victim of sexual abuse, have you? Rape is just a little bit extremely f***ing traumatic, and it can haunt and scar a person for the rest of their life, and you, showing absolutely no sympathy or acknowledgment in the fact that words can sometimes hurt, and even going so far as to completely ignore it just paints you in the light of a colossal douchebag.

Yeah it's not rude or derogatory. It's not disrespectful, it's just a word describing an action. It's traumatic, ok, doesn't mean the word itself has to be taboo forever. It's simply a word that describes an action. It's not like when you get raped the person is screaming the word at you 100 times. If anything, actual contact/situations would trigger the trauma much more than a detached word.

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkraiden:

Yeah it's not rude or derogatory. It's not disrespectful,

Would you like me to give you those definitions again? Because I think you'll find they fit quite well.

It's traumatic, ok, doesn't mean the word itself has to be taboo forever.

So what you're saying is; "I know if I say that, it could really f***ing upset someone, I also know there are plenty of viable alternatives that could apply even better but I'm going to say the offensive one anyway. Because I'm an asshole."?

Heck, while we're at it, let's start calling any time a character does anything destructive on a large scale a holocaust. Because sh!t, if we're trying to offend people, why stop at rape?

If anything, actual contact/situations would trigger the trauma much more than a detached word.

Amazing, so you're stabbing them in the stomach and telling them they should be grateful that you didn't stab them in the head.

force_echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkraiden: So you see no problem with a word that means sexually assault use to describe a telepathic strike in a comic book? You don't think that devalues the significance behind the word at all? How about you ask a rape victim if they're okay with a word describing something that literally ruined their entire life being used to describe mind control in comic books? And when you're surprised when everyone thinks you're a complete psycho, you can come back to the topic with a new outlook on what the word actually means to people.

If the word rape is actually used to describe rape, then yes, it's usage is okay, that's what words are for. For example: In Watchmen, the Comedian rapes Silk Spectre. This is ok. The sentence "Gorrilla Grodd can totes mind rape the f*ck out of Flash if he wanted to" is not ok. Not really that hard to grasp.

DarkRaiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkraiden:

Yeah it's not rude or derogatory. It's not disrespectful,

Would you like me to give you those definitions again? Because I think you'll find they fit quite well.

It's traumatic, ok, doesn't mean the word itself has to be taboo forever.

So what you're saying is; "I know if I say that, it could really f***ing upset someone, I also know there are plenty of viable alternatives that could apply even better but I'm going to say the offensive one anyway. Because I'm an asshole."?

Heck, while we're at it, let's start calling any time a character does anything destructive on a large scale a holocaust. Because sh!t, if we're trying to offend people, why stop at rape?

If anything, actual contact/situations would trigger the trauma much more than a detached word.

Amazing, so you're stabbing them in the stomach and telling them they should be grateful that you didn't stab them in the head.

I saw those definitions, it doesn't fit said definitions.

I'm saying I don't see how the word could really upset someone tbh.

I wouldn't see a problem with that second one either tbh. Though I'd understand why it'd be offensive a little more.

Nah, I'm not stabbing anyone. I just don't see how that word, especially used in this setting could set off any trauma.

@darkraiden: So you see no problem with a word that means sexually assault use to describe a telepathic strike in a comic book? You don't think that devalues the significance behind the word at all? How about you ask a rape victim if they're okay with a word describing something that literally ruined their entire life being used to describe mind control in comic books? And when you're surprised when everyone thinks you're a complete psycho, you can come back to the topic with a new outlook on what the word actually means to people.

If the word rape is actually used to describe rape, then yes, it's usage is okay, that's what words are for. For example: In Watchmen, the Comedian rapes Silk Spectre. This is ok. The sentence "Gorrilla Grodd can totes mind rape the f*ck out of Flash if he wanted to" is not ok. Not really that hard to grasp.

Nope. Rape is forcefully having sex with someone. So forcing someone to do what you want with your mind and/or messing up their entire mind would be the same thing but with the word 'mind' attached to it. The term is accurate and I don't see the problem.

ssj_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ok .. last try

mind r***

(if you use stars, no one can see the rape part)

ThanoStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hold-your-mind-down-and-penetrate-it. Repeatedly.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By dernman

Stupid rule. I argued against it when they implemented it.

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkraiden:

That's an amazing argument, isn't it? Just saying that I'm wrong.

Why don't you go to a few group psychotherapy sessions for the sexually abused and then come back and say that to my goddamn face.

I wouldn't see a problem with that second one either tbh.

smh

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mind rape is a fine term to use if you ask me. That's pretty much what's happening with mind readers. I guess I could see people taking offense if its used jokingly which it usually is so I understand wanting to change it. None of the names I've seen so far sound as good though.

swordmasterD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By swordmasterD

I don't see anything wrong as long as it's used in the right context

DarkRaiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkraiden:

That's an amazing argument, isn't it? Just saying that I'm wrong.

Why don't you go to a few group psychotherapy sessions for the sexually abused and then come back and say that to my goddamn face.

I wouldn't see a problem with that second one either tbh.

smh

Not saying you're 100% undoubtedly wrong, just that I saw nothing in those definitions that fit what we're talking about. And nah, I wouldn't waste my time going to a session. I'd say it to your face or w/e if I could. Don't see what that'd accomplish.

DarkRaiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DarkRaiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DarkRaiden

@darkraiden: Oh just shut up. You disgust me, you know that? The lengths you go to to defend your right to be an asshole and offend as many people as possible yet keep playing dumb, feigning ignorance as to how f*** execrable the things you say are. You should be spat on in the street.

I have no idea what you're talking about tbh.

But..

No Caption Provided

Seriously, you seem waay to hyped up about this.

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry, I'll stick with mind rape; the term has a certain ring to it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember when people used to say mindf*cked instead of mindraped.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why don't we just use whatever term we want, and try to avoid the term rape? I personally would not be offended by the term, but I can see why other people would be. And for that reason, I think it's acceptable to just find alternatives rather than pointlessly offending someone because you don't agree with their ideology surrounding the use of the term. Ultimately it's up to the moderators, and I think they would agree that the word could be replaced for the sake of those who could become upset by its use. We don't necessarily need onereplacement for everyone to use - we just need to use alternatives as we see fit.