#1 Posted by solar_nerd (2625 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

https://www.screengeek.net/2019/01/08/x-men-mcu-wolverine-rumor/

The X-Men are about to come back home to Marvel Studios and presumably be integrated into the Marvel Cinematic Universe. How they will be integrated into the MCU remains to be seen, but an interesting conversation on Reddit with someone claiming to be plugged in may reveal some clues as to how it’ll be done – but it might not be good for fans of Wolverine.

One user on the popular site named ixconkid claims to have a source at Marvel – but can’t even spell Kevin Feige right. The user is being pointed out as notable by some because the user posted a leaked Captain Marvel image before it had been posted anywhere. Nonetheless, here’s what he claims:

They definitely have plans to make some solo X-men movies. That’s another reason Fiege is excited to get the X-men back . So many can be spun off or have a MUCH more important role then how Fox has made the public and fans think. Trust me my friend, he has plans.

One user questioned ixconkid, saying:

100% absolutely not going to happen. They’re all team based characters defined by their moments as a team.

The X-Men fans would literally go insane if certain characters get solo franchises and not their faves.

Also, how are they going to fit solo franchises and a team franchise plus fantastic Four plus the other 10+ franchises they have going on? It’s compeltely unreasonable and not possible

Icon’s rebuttal:

You literally are forgetting by the time the X-men are even integrated into the MCU. Other heroes will be hanging up the capes. Your looking way too ahead.

There are thousand of X-men that aren’t gonna be on the team, let’s start there. Some that are are gonna be new ones we’ve never seen for diversity and etc. Fiege is gonna take a homecoming approach to the X-men to differ it from the Fox verse & there will be one or two solo films from that franchise as well.

F4 are easy to do. Requires one film to get them into the MCU.

They don’t plan to do the typical 3 solo things in the future. They plan to use Disney+ as well for movies and series and take a hulk approach to some heroes by crossing over as well. Not mention they are planning to go up to four films a year.

They have enough lee-way to do 1 team up film & two solo films a year or three solo films a year if they want PLUS Disney+ for even more heroes which Fiege plans to do.

He then says:

They definitely plan to do films and series for smaller characters who they think don’t need a big Hollywood film on Disney + and plan to give certain X-men spin off solo movies.

If I had to trust my close personal source who has been 99% right and has given my info I’ve shared with everyone on reddit vs you?

I’m sorry I gotta go with him. But if your so against it your definitely not gonna like Fiege’s plans INCLUDING wolverine

This would be more interesting if the user knew how to spell Kevin Feige’s name, but still interesting. It’s kind of hard to believe that Feige wouldn’t have the right plan for Wolverine, considering what a fan favorite the character is, so we’ll take this with a major grain of salt.

In all actuality, Feige could want to hold off on using Wolverine for a while, simply for the reason that there are a lot of other X-Men characters yet to be used. We’ll just have to wait and see what happens. If they’re giving Wolverine his own show at Disney +, it’d be interesting to see how toned down the character will be, as fans finally got a brutal version of the character in Logan, after years of PG-13 movies.

Thoughts?

#2 Posted by solar_nerd (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally, I'm super excited. The idea of having four movies a year sounds amazing, and I think that Disney+ is the perfect way to include the X-Men. I don't understand why they're "holding off" on Wolverine, but I trust Marvel knows what to do.

#3 Posted by solar_nerd (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

Also I'm really happy that they want to adapt obscure X-Men. There are some great, extremely underrated X-Men characters that need to be adapted.

#4 Posted by MICKEY-MOUSE (36609 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually would hold off on Wolverine so when you do him people would be so thirsty for him he would be a billion dollar hit. Same goes for DC and Superman...wait and make people thirst for it...

#5 Posted by phisigmatau (1560 posts) - - Show Bio

woulda never guessed Solo X-men movies before the big one... hmmm

#6 Posted by Helloman (28550 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay.

#7 Posted by cattlebattle (17635 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL, "Disney's X-Men"

No thanks.

#8 Posted by KingOfWakanda (2372 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm into 4 films a year and Disney + spinoff shows.

I've had enough Wolverine for awhile. 8 appearances over 17 years. Let's let some other X-Men shine.

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#9 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (15412 posts) - - Show Bio

Ehh no Wolverine? Not interested

#10 Posted by Richubs (3763 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a damn shame we never got to see that costume it looks damn good.

#11 Posted by RabumAlal (4876 posts) - - Show Bio

Superhero fatigue is probably on its way.

#12 Posted by solar_nerd (2625 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by Michaelbn (2338 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL, "Disney's X-Men"

No thanks.

Ehh no Wolverine? Not interested

These.

OT: Wondering how they will make Magneto plus I don't want a PG-13 Wolverine.

#14 Posted by cattlebattle (17635 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: Why not? It could be great.

I don't know, X-Men, especially when the franchise was at its best, had more "adult" material and was more serious and based around character interactions and drama. The MCU is all about colorful people punching each other with very shallow plots and characters.

#15 Posted by solar_nerd (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

@solar_nerd said:

I don't know, X-Men, especially when the franchise was at its best, had more "adult" material and was more serious and based around character interactions and drama. The MCU is all about colorful people punching each other with very shallow plots and characters.

There are very few "shallow" MCU movies, those being Incredible Hulk, Thor 2 and Iron Man 2. You clearly are a snobby nerd who hates everything that's popular just because it's popular. Tell Zack Snyder I said hi.

#16 Posted by solar_nerd (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's a great idea.

#17 Posted by solar_nerd (2625 posts) - - Show Bio
@solar_nerd said:

And I admit Marvel has a formula, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing and there are some movies that deviate from it.

#18 Posted by Mizerous (716 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by phisigmatau (1560 posts) - - Show Bio

@phisigmatau said:

I think it's a great idea.

with some yes, with others no

Like Cyclops is my fave, but I dont like him away from the team dynamic, he's literally the X-man.
Storm per se has more backstory outside of the X-men so I can see that working.

#20 Posted by ArranVid (1829 posts) - - Show Bio

What's the point? I was already content with the previous X-Men films and the Bryan Singer ones

#21 Posted by cattlebattle (17635 posts) - - Show Bio

There are very few "shallow" MCU movies, those being Incredible Hulk, Thor 2 and Iron Man 2. You clearly are a snobby nerd who hates everything that's popular just because it's popular. Tell Zack Snyder I said hi.

Ok.

Avatar image for thespartanb345t
#22 Edited by TheSpartanB345T (3953 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually would hold off on Wolverine so when you do him people would be so thirsty for him he would be a billion dollar hit. Same goes for DC and Superman...wait and make people thirst for it...

#23 Posted by RabumAlal (4876 posts) - - Show Bio

@mizerous: If they push their streaming service and connect stuff from there to the MCU it will be too complicated, might alienate the casual viewer because if forces them to watch shows on the service.. 4+ movies can also be too much.

#24 Posted by Mutant1230 (6385 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:
@solar_nerd said:

Omg #Roasted

#25 Edited by Tomkatie (3268 posts) - - Show Bio

@solar_nerd said:
@cattlebattle said:
@solar_nerd said:

Omg #Roasted

No Caption Provided

#26 Posted by Tomkatie (3268 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as they do justice to my boi Scott Summers. This mans has been given the shaft for too long

#27 Posted by phisigmatau (1560 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:
@solar_nerd said:

TIH and Thor2 werent shallow. At all. Maybe not as good but definitely not shallow.

#28 Posted by Koays (11001 posts) - - Show Bio

MCU X-Men doesn't really appeal to me.

The X-Men's worst stories tend to be the straight forward superhero stuff that the MCU seems to do best. And the MCU hasn't really shown the type of complexity needed to do a X-Men movie right. Anyone who knows how different Whedon's Astonishing is in feel and depth from the rest of the franchise can kind of understand the point here.

Its always seemed more MCU fans want the X-Men then X-Men fans want the MCU is all.

As far as movies go....It's always going to be hard to find the correct level of grit, optimism and real world allegory vs comicbook sensationalism to make the perfect X-Men film. X1 did it, X2 to a degree, DofP nearly did as well. But its a tough call.

#29 Posted by jayc1324 (26421 posts) - - Show Bio

Going the Homecoming approach is a horrible idea. Homecoming was an awful Spiderman movie, paid absolutely no attention to anything from the comics and was too focused on not being like other spidey movies instead of being a great spidey movie itself. Just awful. Look at Batman Begins, it didn't need to avoid being like other batman movies or stay awake form comic lore, it embraced it, did it in its own way, and did it right.

I also don't really want MCU X-Men. I guess it will be cool to see the obscure ones but the current franchise is so well done there really is no need.

#30 Posted by Mutant1230 (6385 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays said:

The X-Men's worst stories tend to be the straight forward superhero stuff that the MCU seems to do best. And the MCU hasn't really shown the type of complexity needed to do a X-Men movie right. Anyone who knows how different Whedon's Astonishing is in feel and depth from the rest of the franchise can kind of understand the point here.

Its always seemed more MCU fans want the X-Men then X-Men fans want the MCU is all.

As far as movies go....It's always going to be hard to find the correct level of grit, optimism and real world allegory vs comicbook sensationalism to make the perfect X-Men film. X1 did it, X2 to a degree, DofP nearly did as well. But its a tough call.

I think the opposite is true.

#31 Posted by Koays (11001 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays said:

I think the opposite is true.

An example being?

#32 Posted by Mutant1230 (6385 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays: Age of Apocalypse, the Dark Phoenix Saga, Days of Future Past, the New Mutants, etc. All of those stories are very comic book-y and fantastical. That's the reason Fox hasn't been able to adapt them the majority of them well for a long time. The only reason they could make Days of Future Past work was by doing exactly what you claimed the MCU would do, going on full on comic book/superhero with time travel, big action sequences, giant killer robots, etc.

#33 Posted by Koays (11001 posts) - - Show Bio

@mutant1230: The New Mutants(Not a story), DofP and Age of Apocalypse are all strong stories because of their place in the source material.

If you took out The X-Men and put in the Avengers in AoA it doesnt work. The original DoFP or the movie cant have the Avengers step into the shoes of the X-Men because of the deeper themes in the X-Men as a whole.

The X-Men aren't fighting giant killer robots, their fighting something that was designed by people who hated their species and wanted something to captured, enslaved and exterminate them.

It evokes a different type of imagery then a Android who hates his creators and has to fight a team of superheroes to stop his robot army.

#34 Posted by solar_nerd (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324 said:

Going the Homecoming approach is a horrible idea. Homecoming was an awful Spiderman movie, paid absolutely no attention to anything from the comics and was too focused on not being like other spidey movies instead of being a great spidey movie itself. Just awful. Look at Batman Begins, it didn't need to avoid being like other batman movies or stay awake form comic lore, it embraced it, did it in its own way, and did it right.

I also don't really want MCU X-Men. I guess it will be cool to see the obscure ones but the current franchise is so well done there really is no need.

No Caption Provided

#35 Posted by Mutant1230 (6385 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays said:

@mutant1230: The New Mutants(Not a story), DofP and Age of Apocalypse are all strong stories because of their place in the source material.

If you took out The X-Men and put in the Avengers in AoA it doesnt work. The original DoFP or the movie cant have the Avengers step into the shoes of the X-Men because of the deeper themes in the X-Men as a whole.

The X-Men aren't fighting giant killer robots, their fighting something that was designed by people who hated their species and wanted something to captured, enslaved and exterminate them.

It evokes a different type of imagery then a Android who hates his creators and has to fight a team of superheroes to stop his robot army.

But my point is that the X-Men are inherently inferior just because they embrace traditional comic book elements. All of those books prove that, even you are admitting it... and many MCU films have subtext similar to what you're describing existing in Days of Future Past.

Look no further than Captain America: The Winter Soldier, which isn't about blowing up Helicarriers or stopping Hydra from taking over the world per se. It's about individual rights and how far we're willing to go for protection.

I'm just saying the X-Men having differences from the Avengers doesn't mean they belong in a different universe. I'd argue many of the television teams like the Runaways, the Defenders, the Punisher, etc are much more different/disconnected to the films than the X-Men ever were.

#36 Posted by Koays (11001 posts) - - Show Bio

@mutant1230: You would be one of the only people in the world to think the Runaways is more inherently different to the Avengers then the X-Men.

The difference between the X-Men and the Avengers is in their very premise. Earth's mightiest heroes vs protecting a world that hates and fears them. Take any one of the Marvel heroes and they can become an Avenger. Because the overwhelming theme of the MCU is heroes overcoming their personal flaws mental and physical to make a difference and save someone.

That's classic superhero stuff.

The X-Men overwhelmingly is set in a world where they dont care about your physical abilities, they dont care that you can make the world better, they don't care if you save the world. But doing it anyway. The X-Men is about prejudices, fighting them, protecting people, from them, and how prejudice can breed resentment and even more prejudice.

Themes of abuse, psychosis, parental neglect and tribalism are the backdrop of the X-Men world that superheroics are pasted onto.

My opinion has never been that the MCU cant do X-men, but that the MCU hasnt done anything like X-Men. And while I dont think the introduction of mutants is such a major obstacle, changing the inherent style and tone to reflect the type of world that is the backdrop for mutants and the X-Men

#37 Posted by phisigmatau (1560 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays:

good points,

the sokovia accords did set the tone however. Plus Hulks rampage in Africa

The MCU has established certain worldviews in the MCU where the heros aren't seen in immediate positive light.

I don't think it will be that hard to introduce the muties.

#38 Posted by Mutant1230 (6385 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays:

You would be one of the only people in the world to think the Runaways is more inherently different to the Avengers then the X-Men.

You think the majority of Marvel fans believe the MCU Runaways are closely associated with the Avengers, whom they barely even reference? o_O

The difference between the X-Men and the Avengers is in their very premise. Earth's mightiest heroes vs protecting a world that hates and fears them. Take any one of the Marvel heroes and they can become an Avenger. Because the overwhelming theme of the MCU is heroes overcoming their personal flaws mental and physical to make a difference and save someone.

That's classic superhero stuff.

Even the most derivative concepts can appear different if you analyze them close enough. Most stories told in fiction, the Avengers and X-Men included, involve the protagonist or those around them overcoming a personal flaw to make a difference and/or save someone. Why is Captain America educating the public on the cons of Project Insight so significantly different then the X-Men doing the same thing to the Sentinel program? Why is Iron Man turning on his company for developing technology for the wrong purposes any different than the Professor Xavier opposing Magneto for protesting Mutant oppression in the wrong way? Of course these examples aren't exactly identical, but they're not that far off.

A large amount of the MCU's best stories are about the world in some way being broken and the hero having to better it. That's exactly what the X-Men are. If you don't like the idea of them joining the MCU still, that's your own opinion and I obviously can't change that. But when it similar themes and tones the X-Men are... a Marvel property.

#39 Posted by Spambot (9339 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally I'd like to see the X-Universe tied into A4 or another mcu movie somehow. Give a reason for why mutants start randomly appearing among humanity other than 'its just happening man'. Something like similar to like when the terrigen bomb went off in the comics that scrambled people's dna or brought out dormant things within it. I'm still not entirely sold on wanting them in the mcu though.

#40 Posted by Koays (11001 posts) - - Show Bio

@mutant1230: That's 2 different conversations your trying to have.

Is Runaways as well known for sharing a universe and setting with the Avengers as the X-Men are? No.

Do the themes, plots and tones of Runaways blend easier into the MCU then the X-Men would? Yes.

Comparing Xavier and Magnetos philisophical battle for the hearts, minds and future of what is essentially a fledgling minority of superhumans to Tony making a corporate decision about weapons is quite near laughable.

The scales are just different even when you remove the context. The X-Men opposing sentinels isnt a policy debate. But even if it was, look at how its handled in Captain America. It's a one and done that doesnt add weight to the character afterwards. The good guy wins and the world is safe and unless you watch Agents of Shield the world remains unchanged and unbothered. It's a quick light commentary on a potential real world problem that is at most laid out in one scene. The X-Men in or out of universe fight the sentinels and it's just one page, because tomorrow there existence will cause someone else to come up with a new way and reason to kill them.

Again it's just a level of depth I dont feel has been reached by the MCU creatives. Man vs Man, Man vs Machine, Man vs Self is all one thing. Tackling a franchise that is both a superhero series and widely viewed as a allegory for race and minority issues...its just something I'm not confident they can do.

Regardless to each their own. Personally just not seeing what's being offered to the X-men other then more exposure and chance to wipe the slate clean on the previous movieverse.

#41 Posted by Supermanthor (16395 posts) - - Show Bio

Hope that they do justice to the characters

#42 Posted by phisigmatau (1560 posts) - - Show Bio