MCU - Why didn't Doctor Strange go all out against Ebony Maw?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f5eba8f0a2dd
deactivated-5f5eba8f0a2dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

He swore on oath to protect the time stone with his life so he must've been trying his hardest and saw Maw as a threat on the same level but instead my man decides to just make portals when could've just cleaned house with his other abilities.

Some of this shite would've been very useful.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

StormKing1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Strange's powers are utilized through his hands which Maw kept binding. Also plot.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f5eba8f0a2dd
deactivated-5f5eba8f0a2dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jashugan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Because he couldn't. Maw restrained him, strange can't cast spells if he can't move his hands.

Amonfire1776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Strange was also protecting the mind stone...

TheBeardOfZues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Plot mostly or maybe Maw is actually really strong and we didn't get to see that because Tony killed him.

Chubbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe he just kind of underestimated Maw’s abilities at the start. When he’s finally ready to use the Time Stone Maw bound his hands.

I personally believe Maw was the 3rd most powerful character in the movie behind Thanos and Thor, although he could potentially be behind Dr Strange too. It seemed like he could’ve given Thanos a run for his money if he didn’t have any of the infinity stones yet.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sranges showing against thanos is impressive but he mostly only stalled him IMO. I don't think he did much offensively.

Avatar image for deactivated-613e82c4b95f9
deactivated-613e82c4b95f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

Thanos only took a few fighters seriously, that includes Stark, Thor (post-strombreaker) and Hulk.

When he got serious he took everyone out fairly easily, especially when he had all the infinity stones.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This could be said about almost any superhero ever

deltahuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now that I think about it, I think it won't be overestimating to say that Ebony Maw is overall more powerful than Base Thanos.

I mean sure, Base Thanos is a lot stronger and durable but Maw has a lot of Hax on his side. TK, Spells and stuff.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maw kept countering him

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because plot

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deadhorse my friend. Well, at least it will be until A4 lol. Plot, best way to describe it.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rogueshadow  Moderator

There were a couple of times when Strange was about to do something but was literally pinned by Maw and prevented from using spells. He didn't just open with those more OP attacks (in both NYC and on Titan) because plot. It's possible Maw would've countered him anyway tbh.

@deltahuman - Maw was just a telekinetic (on a molecular level I believe), he didn't have any magic.

Avatar image for plotweapon16255
plotweapon16255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By plotweapon16255

Stranger got prep time for Thanos battle but with maw is a random encounter.

Prep time > Random encounter

bouncyhippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Strange isn't smart that's why. He's that one guy that would use the time stone to get a perfect score on his exam, but wouldn't use the time stone to save the universe.

RukelnikovFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RukelnikovFTW

@rogueshadow said:

There were a couple of times when Strange was about to do something but was literally pinned by Maw and prevented from using spells. He didn't just open with those more OP attacks (in both NYC and on Titan) because plot. It's possible Maw would've countered him anyway tbh.

@deltahuman - Maw was just a telekinetic (on a molecular level I believe), he didn't have any magic.

This, though I don't think Maw would've countered Strange if he busted the big guns from the start.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 rogueshadow  Moderator

@rukelnikovftw: Maw never seemed like he was going all out either though tbh. If Strange had started to hit him with his big guns Maw could've just launched a building at him for all we know, I don't think we ever saw the full extent of Maw's power, it's suggested that even Iron Man's are inconsequential next to his. Though whether or not that's true, who knows.

Emanresu_20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Plot and Maw held back as well. Could’ve easily cut his head off

RukelnikovFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rukelnikovftw: Maw never seemed like he was going all out either though tbh. If Strange had started to hit him with his big guns Maw could've just launched a building at him for all we know, I don't think we ever saw the full extent of Maw's power, it's suggested that even Iron Man's are inconsequential next to his. Though whether or not that's true, who knows.

Yeah, we never really saw him struggling, however when was that suggested?

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 rogueshadow  Moderator

@rogueshadow said:

Maw himself says it so it to Tony, so it could just be boasting, but the fact that Tony doesn't disagree and they don't even try to fight him but had to outsmarten him could indicate that he was too powerful for them and they knew it. But you could counter that they just wanted to end it quickly rather than do battle because why bother.

RukelnikovFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RukelnikovFTW

@rogueshadow said:
@rukelnikovftw said:
@rogueshadow said:

Maw himself says it so it to Tony, so it could just be boasting, but the fact that Tony doesn't disagree and they don't even try to fight him but had to outsmarten him could indicate that he was too powerful for them and they knew it. But you could counter that they just wanted to end it quickly rather than do battle because why bother.

Hmm, IDK neither knew the powers of the other really, but it is true that they tried not to take the direct approach. It would be fitting after all that Thanos had such a minion, with the kinds of beings we have already seen in the MCU (asgardians, giants, dragons, etc.) It wouldn't make sense for Thanos' elite group not to include at least one individual that can solo Tony. Now that I think about it, whats weirder is that a member of this group could be challenged by 2 peak humans.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By rogueshadow  Moderator

@rukelnikovftw said:
@rogueshadow said:
@rukelnikovftw said:
@rogueshadow said:

Hmm, IDK neither knew the powers of the other really, but it is true that they tried not to take the direct approach. It would be fitting after all that Thanos had such a minion, with the kinds of beings we have already seen in the MCU (asgardians, giants, dragons, etc.) It wouldn't make sense for Thanos' elite group not to include at least one individual that can solo Tony. Now that I think about it, whats weirder is that a member of this group could be challenged by 2 peak humans.

I think they both interacted and observed one another enough to have an idea. The Black Order was largely unimpressive relative to what I expected going in.

RukelnikovFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rukelnikovftw said:
@rogueshadow said:
@rukelnikovftw said:
@rogueshadow said:

I think they both interacted and observed one another enough to have an idea. The Black Order was largely unimpressive relative to what I expected going in.

Yeah, they weren't as generic as the outriders, but, aside from Maw, they weren't very far either. Guess it has to do with having to introduce 4 new secondary characters, in an already overstuffed flick.

deltahuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rogueshadow:

Really? I thought Maw was a sorcerer like Strange. I mean I didn't see a source for his Hax and assumed its sorcery. Most MCU Hax is achieved through Sorcery.

Anyway, I still think Maw would give Base Thanos a hell of a fight. I mean he launched Black Dwarf away with just a flick of his fingers. He also at one point called Tony's abilities inconsequential compared to his.

Avatar image for greysentinel365
Greysentinel365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same reason Stark didn't go all out against Cull.

So the movie would happen.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deltahuman: he wasn't a sorcerer at all he just had TK abilities never once used a spell

Avatar image for deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1
deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Plot is the answer. He and Iron Man both jobbed a little bit in their first encounter with Maw and Cull, then against Thanos they put up the fight of their lives.

deltahuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvelanddcfan24:

Yeah now that I think about it, he didn't have any powers except TK. His durability was also human level or a little higher maybe.

Batvibe12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Plot.

Skrskr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Skrskr

Plot, maw had no counter for mirror dimension.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because fights in IW sadly made no sense for the most part.