MCU Thor's lighting vs DCEU Ares/Zeus' lighting

• 51 results
nn5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll MCU Thor's lighting vs DCEU Ares/Zeus' lighting (49 votes)

Thor 67%
Ares/Zeus 33%

Who has more powerful lighting? MCU Thor (post his Ragnarok amp) or DCEU Zeus & Ares?

• 
Epicyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor's lightning is wack. It causes minimum next to none environmental damage, lacks sheer destructive capabilities and is basically just a taser as everyone and their mom is just shaken a bit.

Zeus oneshotted a motherbox, something Superman with help struggled to pull apart.

Ares atomized a humongous chunk of land.

MrTrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MrTrey

Thor's Biggest Lightning Bolt Evah (That Breaks Apart A Balcony)

Loading Video...

VS

Zeus/Ares' Puny Little Lighting Bolt (That Vaporizes 1,000's Of Tons Of Rock Which Needs Kilotons Of Energy)

Loading Video...

Obviously Thor.

death4bunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By death4bunnies

@mrtrey:

I think Thors lighting put massive holes in the asgardian palace(light shinning through), but im kinda unsure.

No Caption Provided

----

Also this.

Loading Video...

Look at the defection of that ice.

It made the ice jump like 30 ft in the air around Thor.

death4bunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

death4bunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@epicyon said:

Thor's lightning is wack. It causes minimum next to none environmental damage, lacks sheer destructive capabilities and is basically just a taser as everyone and their mom is just shaken a bit.

Zeus oneshotted a motherbox, something Superman with help struggled to pull apart.

Ares atomized a humongous chunk of land.

Zeus broke apart the mother boxes?

Thor blew up the aether.

Loading Video...

Chazzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrtrey: Lol, that's Ares blowing up.

Avatar image for kryptonianking88
KryptonianKing88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor provided enough energy to vaporize (or atleast break) Sokovia. The vibranium just kept it within the city

MrTrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MrTrey

@death4bunnies: Did you really just pretend a distant angled shot that only shows a portion of the hole (and actually extends wider in your very same shot) would give you accurate numbers, and that the hole isn't as wide as the airbase buildings there?

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Come on, do better than that.

And breaking apart rock requires magnitudes less energy than vaporizing it, like the tensile strength of rock is only around 10 MPa, so breaking 1 meter cubed of it is only 10 million joules, and vaporizing that same amount of rock is more like 25 billion joules.

Loading Video...

Ares' lightning shitstomps Thor's.

nn5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By nn5

@death4bunnies: Nice calc but I'm not sure if the hole was really that small? It looked more like 30 m than 30 ft IMO.

incursion2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thors lightning has better feats. Killing two Leviathans, temporarily Ko'ing Hela on Asgard, breaking apart the bridge on Asgard, blowing up the aether, knocking back Thanos, ripping apart the Outrider ships. His lightning just has more feats.

strangetales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thors lightening is on another level

death4bunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nn5: @mrtrey:

I scaled off of the airstrip.

It seems to go all the way back to the crater.

Double or triple it it’s nowhere close to 1000 tons.

——

I also doubt it was ‘vaporized’ there is a fair amount of debris strun about.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How do we quantify Zeus’ lightning?

TakenStew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Idk about Zeus but Thor's lightning is certainly better than Ares'.

nn5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@death4bunnies: I'd still say it might have been somewhat larger. But as you said those rocks weren't completely vaporized.

death4bunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nn5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@death4bunnies: Seems good. Also it vaporizing 1000 t wouldn't be consistent with SW surviving it so such a smaller number looks more plausible IMO.

Still not sure if Thor's lighting is better than that.

death4bunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nn5 said:

@death4bunnies: Seems good. Also it vaporizing 1000 t wouldn't be consistent with SW surviving it so such a smaller number looks more plausible IMO.

Still not sure if Thor's lighting is better than that.

Agreed.

Ya im a little undecided on the lightning, at first glance Thor overwhelms with a wealth of feats. Alot of things about Thor lighting are cool, but don't really speak to power like using lightning to block projectiles, or throw opponents, also Thor tends to amp strikes with lightning, but those feats are kinda unusable here. He did bust up multiple leviathans at once with charged lightning tho. Ironmans peta watt lasers couldn't get through the leviathan armor.

KryptonianKing88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MrTrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MrTrey

@death4bunnies: The whole crater that's as long and wide as an airplane hangar is not 30 ft wide.

No Caption Provided

Also, what kind of military airstrip (that had a huge bomber plane that's like a 100 ft wide fly from it) is only 30 ft wide?

No Caption Provided

There's barely any debris there, but sure, no vaporization even though it was steaming.

Yeah, look, I know you really want the MCU high tiers to be more powerful than the DCEU's but stop bullshiting me with shit calcs.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nightmare52 calced this

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Ares summoned lightning and used it against Diana .

Diana absorbed that lightning and used it against Ares and destroyed the land mass behind him.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

so , the volume of soil/rock that got destroyed is 2390.05 m^3.

The soil/rocks density rangers from 2600 - 3450 kg/m^3.

So the average of the density is 3025 kg/m^3.

So the weight of the soil/rock is around 7229901.25 kg.

5717250 kg of SiO2 has 7.2467 x 10^31 SiO2 molecules .

Minimum Energy Required :

If lightning had vaporized the land mass it should have provided more than bond dissociation energy.

The bond dissociation energy of Si-O is 798kj/mol = 1.3251x10^-18 joules.

The ENERGY required to break 5717250 kg of rock is 7.2467 *1.3251 x10^13 is 9.6026 X 10^13 joules = 96 terajoules.

So Ares Lightning should have produced MINIMUM of 96 Terajoules.

Maximum Energy Required :

If Ares Lightning destroyed the rock by disintegrating it .

It should have destroyed the Sio2 molecule.

Energy required to destroy single sio2 molecule :

Weight of 1 sio2 molecule = 60.08/(6.022 x 10^23 ) = 9.9767 x 10^-26 kg.

Energy required to destroy single sio2 = MC^2 = 9.9767 x 10^-26 x 9 x 10^16 = 89.79 x 10 ^-10 joules.

5717250 kg of SiO2 has 7.2467 x 10^31 SiO2 molecules .

To destroy 7229901.25 kg of SiO2 = 7.2467 x 10^31 x 89.79 x 10 ^-10 = 650.68 x 10^21 joules.

So Ares Lightning should have produced MAXIMUM of 650.68 zettajoules.

So Ares Lightning should have 96 terajoules to 650.68 zettajoules.

Btw that's like country level

MrTrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevd4wg: Yeah, no, it's just vaporization, that shit is way too much.

nn5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@death4bunnies: Agree. And yeah, Thor's lighting charged Mjolnir strikes like Jotunheim or Sokovia shouldn't count here.

Don't know about the other calc. Just can't imagine this lighting being country level. Probably it didn't vaporize most of the rocks, just threw them around. But it seemingly destroyed Ares completely so might be better than Thor's lighting after all.

death4bunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevd4wg:

What is nightmare scaling his sizes off of?

For the life of me I can’t figure out where he got those (size of the crater) numbers from.

——

He is also trying to pull something he calls ‘density ranges’ for the weight of the soil(his numbers are ridiculous in this one area). I simply linked a geological website that lists the weight of soil(I chose ‘rocky topsoil’).

——

I don’t think it vaporized because of the visible debris so I’ll just leave that part of the calc.

——-

But seriously, how did he measure the distance or depth of the crater?

I measured it 2 ways

1: Scaling off the size of those tarmac lines(those are standard).

2: I re calced the scale by laying Diana down next to those tarmac lines, and came up with a similar number.

——

I’m open to other ways to determine the size of this thing, but I’d like to look at how a calc gets the size numbers at least.

death4bunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrtrey:

I don’t care if it’s MCU or DCEU, you can find me argue for both.

In fact sometimes when I feel like a DCEU character is being underrepresented I flip sides in a thread; throw out some feats and ideas for the other side then jump back, I did this in a WW vs Thanos thread just last night, just because I wanted to argue Diana’s skill.

It’s less about the characters, I just like to debate; and test logic/theory’s including my own-against you guys.

——-

On topic:

The pic you provided at the top of your post looks a bit like a light flash to me, and not the actual crater, but let’s give the calc a shot:

——-

I said 30ft wide, you say 100 ft wide(I’ll give you 300): the claim you made at the top of this thread was 1000s of tons of rock and soil let’s see if we get there.

——-

Your number is 10 times more then mine.

If I input your number into my calc I get...beep bop boop.

——-

370 tons.....still a far cry from 1000s of tons of rocky soil.

death4bunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kryptonianking88:

Ya think I said Thor can do cool things like this people with his lightning... I think you misread what I wrote(or I wasn’t clear)

He threw a guy in endgame with lightning also.

CocaColaMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just as an FYI, Iron Man's lasers are apparently petawatt tier, and that's hundreds of thousands of times superior to what is required to disintegrate human beings, yet the Leviathans were unbothered by him. Thor one shot them.

KryptonianKing88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cocacolaman: that's dumb and insane lol. Would only pull that out if someone was lowballing Iron Man or Thor hard

CocaColaMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5e37510e25a10
deactivated-5e37510e25a10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@death4bunnies: For the size of the crater wouldn’t we have seen much more rubble? If it was a fragmentation why don’t we see the rocks or soil during the explosion? There seems to be a lot of steam. The tarmac seems much larger than around 30 ft. The plane Steve stole fit on it.

death4bunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hermes1220:

There was a hella of a blinding flash where I guess we wouldn’t be able to see rubble flying, but even if that’s not the case; I can accept that the concrete/soil was blown into very small particles, but vaporization (as used in the other dudes calls above) suggests melting then boiling into vapor the concrete and soil instantly; I do not think that is what happened here.

Steam is steam, pretty easy to image that soil had some moisture in it.

——

I did do a recalc in post 26 assuming the crater is the size of the hanger (300ft in diameter); that came out to 370 tons of material blown to pieces.

MrTrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MrTrey

@death4bunnies: Yeah, nah, you don't get any credibility when you really tried to give me this blurry shot of my pic where you kept ignoring her legs to bullshit a 60+ meter missile.

No Caption Provided

Even assuming her full height the missile would only be 34 meters at most when you measure the actual black and red lines that are only 19-20x apart from my original pic

No Caption Provided

But sure Mr. Fair and Balanced, I'll believe you.

-----

Stop being purposely dense on that guy's calc, Wonder Woman's height was used to determine the size of the 2.85 meter section close to the hole to account for distance making it look smaller, she's at the center so she was used to mark the radius in the second pic. There's nothing much wrong with the 1st part of the calc other than assuming a hemisphere shape, though it'd still be a good fraction of it's width deep so your depth would still be bullshit.

What the fuck are you on about with the density when you're the one who's ridiculously off. 40 lbs per foot cubed is not even 3/4 of a ton per meter cubed since you used topsoil which is the least dense soil, the part vaporized was compacted soil (which would still be 2x as dense or even more if you still try to bulllshit me)/rock/concrete, it would be above 2 tons per meter cubed.

Also no, it's wider than a 100 feet because the hangar is wider than it, it's much longer than it is wide, it's deeper than you thought it was because your scaling was off, it's several times denser than your bullshit topsoil density so even with your calc it's gonna be 1,000's of tons.

death4bunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrtrey:

Point of contention I was using Feet cubed not meters cubed throughout my calc, I linked a geology website that also used feet cubed in their measurements.

——

You seem to be upset so I’ll leave this post, but I think my calc was fair, and I tried to be polite when discussing it.

Avatar image for finalkingthanos
FinalKingThanos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thors lightning has better feats. Killing two Leviathans, temporarily Ko'ing Hela on Asgard, breaking apart the bridge on Asgard, blowing up the aether, knocking back Thanos, ripping apart the Outrider ships. His lightning just has more feats.

Just as an FYI, Iron Man's lasers are apparently petawatt tier, and that's hundreds of thousands of times superior to what is required to disintegrate human beings, yet the Leviathans were unbothered by him. Thor one shot them.

eri123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor's lighting is better than Ares.

Bayman007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Bayman007

If you are talking feats, then Thor has more to work from.

But in reality, I would choose Zeus's divine electrokinesis all day long.

Avatar image for darkdementor101
DarkDementor101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@finalkingthanos: Could you give me some insight to the second point that you listed? The one where you stated that iron man has petawatt lasers. If it is a calc then I think it is safe to say that it more likely incorrect, as he has done nothing yet in the energy department to show that he can rival that kind of output imo

Nucleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This. IMO, damage against named characters and plot objects matters much more than collateral damage against the environment, which is a dime a dozen cheap. Comic company values are not in their movies' environment - it is in its characters.

Nucleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bayman007: But in reality, I would choose Zeus's divine electrokinesis all day long.

So... Zeus lighning is better because it is in fact "divine electrokinesis" huh?

=)

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@incursion2 said:

@cocacolaman said:

This, and Thor is a lot more versatile with his lightning/electrokinesis as well.

GateOfBabylon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not even close.

No Caption Provided

Epicyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All these calcs is making my head spin.

death4bunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@finalkingthanos: Could you give me some insight to the second point that you listed? The one where you stated that iron man has petawatt lasers. If it is a calc then I think it is safe to say that it more likely incorrect, as he has done nothing yet in the energy department to show that he can rival that kind of output imo

Twas a tie in comic.

No Caption Provided

Seems like the writers don't understand what a petawatt is, a 100 petawatt laser should theoretically tear empty space.

----

I look at this like I look at the BVS 300db sonics; those sonics would of destroyed a large section of the city at that power, but I just think the writers didnt understand the exponential increases in the math of sound.

----

Here is another set of numbers given by the movies.

Thor Blasts and melts part of Iron Man's armor. The end result was a 400% (possibly 475%) power increase

Iron Man's standard reactor produces 8 Gigajoules of energy per second. Meaning Thor's basic lightning has the power of 32 to 38 Gigajoules (or 24-30 Gigajoules).

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor's lightning by quite a margin. In terms of heat I'd say melting clean through thick Leviathan armor that wasn't even singed by Iron Man's lasers is better than anything Ares or Zeus did. Force wise sending out shockwaves for thousands of feet hard enough to devastate Jotunheim ice and collapse small building sized towers is better than anything Ares or Zeus did either.

RajjarsAlt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor's lightning is multi-city block level, twice over. People forget that Ares' only noteworthy feat was through God-Mode Diana's bracelets, and considering what they do, it means he really can't replicate it.

KryptonianKing88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zeus >>>>> Thor >> Ares

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Thor

Avatar image for deactivated-5de3d0efdb1f7
deactivated-5de3d0efdb1f7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nightgate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrtrey said:
Come on, do better than that. And breaking apart rock requires magnitudes less energy than vaporizing it, like the tensile strength of rock is only around 10 MPa, so breaking 1 meter cubed of it is only 10 million joules, and vaporizing that same amount of rock is more like 25 billion joules.
Come on, do better than that. And breaking apart rock requires magnitudes less energy than vaporizing it, like the tensile strength of rock is only around 10 MPa, so breaking 1 meter cubed of it is only 10 million joules, and vaporizing that same amount of rock is more like 25 billion joules.

How did you find this?