• 96 results
#1 Posted by bobandjim1260 (811 posts) - - Show Bio

There is a rumor going around that the MCU might combine Mistress Death with Hela (who will be featured in Thor 3). While this isn't a confirmed things, It would make sense if they did it. This is assuming that Thanos is doing all of this for the love of death, like his comic counterpart. My only grip is this, Mistress Death is an incredibly powerful entity, why make her the enemy of something she would have no problem destroying? Besides power, the chilling part about Thanos being in love with death is that she's really not an antagonizing force, she isn't even a being. She is an abstract concept manifest into reality. I do not think such a concept is very difficult for an audience to wrap their mind around. Especially when you could just call her a cosmic entity. Also, there is a sculpture is Guardians of the Galaxy of four cosmic entities by Infinity Stones. One of them is confirmed to be mistress Death. I'm wondering if Hela may just end up as a servant of the real Mistress Death. Anyway, what are your opinions on the matter.

#2 Posted by lettsplay10 (20588 posts) - - Show Bio

maybe

#3 Posted by bobandjim1260 (811 posts) - - Show Bio

@lettsplay10: maybe what? (Trying to get a discussion going. I'm interested to hear what people have to say about it.)

Avatar image for heirtothekingdom
#4 Posted by HeirToTheKingdom (9126 posts) - - Show Bio

@bobandjim1260: Do you have a picture/video of the infinity stones have the sculptures of the entities behind them? I would like to see it because I don't recall that when I watched the movie.

#5 Posted by KrleAvenger (23218 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah.

#6 Posted by Mexicutioner (950 posts) - - Show Bio

@bobandjim1260: I think they may go that way, to streamline everything and make it simpler, but I don't think it's a good idea and I'm not sure how it'll work.

#7 Posted by bobandjim1260 (811 posts) - - Show Bio

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/6/61625/4246059-tumblr_nfk56przcy1qzktgvo1_500.jpg

It was one of the panels in the temple of Morag. I also have the art book for Guardians of the Galaxy which specifies that the four figures are Eternity, Infinity, Death, and Entropy (who is a stand in for Oblivion). There was also concept Art showing Entropy with an Infinity Stone. It was later replaced with a Celestial for fans. The items in the middle are also supposed to be the Infinity Stones.

#8 Posted by bobandjim1260 (811 posts) - - Show Bio

@mexicutioner: I wonder if Hela will just be another name for Death. I'm also wondering if she herself is going to attack Asguard. Maybe she'll manipulate pawns into doing stuff for her, very much like 616 Mistress Death. Or perhaps she'll be a mouth piece for Mistress Death in a similar way The Other was to Thanos.

Avatar image for deactivated-5790531b876c9
#9 Posted by deactivated-5790531b876c9 (519 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by Mexicutioner (950 posts) - - Show Bio

@bobandjim1260: It's possible they could make it work depending on how she's used in Ragnorak, if she's just a puppet master causing death then it might work.

If this is the case I wonder what sort of power level she's going to have compared to Thanos, Thor etc? Maybe they'll explain it by having her not being able to act or enter our realm/dimension.

#11 Edited by KrleAvenger (23218 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool idea mate ( I know it is not yours but still) but I hope you're wrong. I would like to see two separate entities.

#12 Posted by bobandjim1260 (811 posts) - - Show Bio

@mexicutioner: I'm thinking that too. While I value character and story over power, in this case however I feel that the power difference between Thanos and Death actually plays a large part in their "relationship".

#13 Posted by Mexicutioner (950 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by StormShadow_X (13486 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool

#15 Posted by Oscars94 (3146 posts) - - Show Bio

That would be much better. I hated that Thanos fell in love with a skeleton. It's much better if it's Hela. She also has a connection to Loki so she'll probably ask him to spare him.

#16 Posted by bobandjim1260 (811 posts) - - Show Bio

So there have been a couple updates since last I edited this post.

The first is Kevin Feige's ambiguous response about Hela being Mistress Death.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/avengers/avengers_infinity_war/kevin-feige-on-whether-hela-replaces-mistress-a146485

The second being concept art supposedly from Doctor Strange of a cultist. Kevin refused to respond to whether or nor this is true. But come on, does that not look exactly like what an MCU version of Mistress Death would look like? http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/possible-avengers-infinity-war-concept-art-features-mistress-death/

Marvel is pretty good at hiding secrets so here is how I think the whole mistress death thing is going to play out if they decide to use it. First and foremost, Mistress Death was actually in a cameo in Guardians of the Galaxy right along side Eternity, Infinity and a newly created being known as Entropy. Death has been name dropped as well. I think that Hela will be a personification or manifestation of Death instead of outright being Death herself. If she is death herself, my idea is that she won't actually act like Hela and invade Asguard. She'll manipulate others and or orchestrate events that lead to it's downfall, which is something Mistress Death would do in the comics. With these new updates, what are your thoughts?

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#17 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (9285 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely a possibility

#18 Posted by bobandjim1260 (811 posts) - - Show Bio

Another update on this subject. In the Guardians of the Galaxy artbook, here is the description of Death:

"Death embodies decay and can possess the soul of a living being. Often taking the form of a woman, Death can manipulate reality, time, and space, and came into existence at the same time as Entropy, Eternity, and Infinity. Immortals are immune to Death's ability. Thanos wanted to rule the universe with Death. In an attempt to impress her, he killed all life in half of the universe with the snap of his fingers."

It says there that Death can possess the soul of a living being. What if that's how Hela became the Asguardian goddess of death? It would make sense as that was we understand a little bit easier how she has a human form. It also makes it more tangible while including the actual cosmic entity.

#19 Posted by Helloman (8955 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe

#20 Posted by MAZAHS117 (9776 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope they don't combine the two, but I can totally see them doing this. Thanos' love/obsession with Death is too "radical" for the Disney/MCU m.o.

#21 Posted by bobandjim1260 (811 posts) - - Show Bio

https://moviepilot.com/p/thor-ragnarok-hidden-villains/4184270

An interesting speculation update. What do you think?

#22 Posted by Asgaard (3766 posts) - - Show Bio

https://moviepilot.com/p/thor-ragnarok-hidden-villains/4184270

An interesting speculation update. What do you think?

When was the first time you read about Hela = Mistress Death (in the Mcu) theory?

Do you want to know other rumors, from who is the (female) character that they speak in your link article?

#23 Posted by Nerevarine_11 (9699 posts) - - Show Bio

Plz no

#24 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (9285 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerevarine_11: it's gonna fit with the MCU plot like Tony Stark making Ultron

#25 Edited by Nerevarine_11 (9699 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (9285 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Posted by bobandjim1260 (811 posts) - - Show Bio

@asgaard: I heard about the theory a while back. It was something I was worried about them doing at first because Hela and Mistress Death are somewhat different characters. I posted the article because it seems to be that there was a female character on set who looked a lot like Mistress Death, which would make a lot of sense. As stated above, Mistress Death in the MCU has the ability to posses others. That might be how Hela got her powers. I just thought it was cool that they're possibly using the real Mistress Death over having Hela fill both roles. Especially since the actual entity Death was seen in a carving with the three other abstracts, Eternity, Infinity and Entropy (who was supposed to be featured holding the power stone in the original concept art in Guardians of the Galaxy. They went with a Celestial instead).

#28 Edited by Asgaard (3766 posts) - - Show Bio

@bobandjim1260:

I thought in that theory after watching A.AoU... link And i have to disagree with your execution, not how i would do it in live action, Hela just with her lore (specially portrayed by Cate Blanchett) can carry all the weight that Thanos needs to please her... You can set Hel as a dimension/realm with very special elements, just like the one where Dormammu lives... Its very complicated to give abstracts plans or motivations...

That character you think can be Mistress Death, acknowledging the movie production and set photos seem to be more Gaea... Because there was specific costumes to Hi Mom and Hi Dad...

#29 Edited by bobandjim1260 (811 posts) - - Show Bio

@asgaard: I don't really see why it matters when we thought of the idea that Hela=Death. Or who thought of it before who. I disagree, as Hela and Mistress Death act completely different. Hela is far more antagonistic. Kate is an amazing actress, she could easily portray death through Hela. I don't find it hard to believe that Mistress Death could be using Hela as a puppet similar to how Dormammu used his Zealots (although death is a far more powerful entity and probably requires a stronger host). I disagree, the lady from the pictures I saw looked far more like Mistress Death. Gaea would be a weird addition. More so than having death give powers to someone like Hela. Abstract plans and motivations are not very complicated. They maintain balance in the cosmos and fulfill their respective function. I don't think it'd be very hard for the audience to grasp that the manifestation of Death wants to kill things. Lol.

#30 Posted by bobandjim1260 (811 posts) - - Show Bio

Besides, the cosmic entities and abstracts appearing in the Infinity Gauntlet series really gave a sense to how dire the situation was. I feel that they're going down a similar route, at least, that's what has been hinted at in various interviews.

#31 Posted by bobandjim1260 (811 posts) - - Show Bio

Here is the photo the article talks about.

http://media.melty.fr/pmedia-3310291-ajust_700-f1472372064/qui-est-cette-mysterieuse-jeune-femme.jpg

Here are some pictures of Mistress Death.

http://i63.servimg.com/u/f63/12/13/97/83/bowen210.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/3/38919/812550-death_004.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/12/129861/2967279-8627335273-tumbl.jpg

I mean come on. This would make a lot of sense. Especially considering how Kevin and Kate were both incredibly hesitate to confirm or deny the Mistress Death = Hela theory. Or how Hela (Kate) hasn't been included in the cast list for Infinity War. There is always the possibility, sure. But when she's on a wall in the temple of Morag and an incredibly large part of Thanos's story, I find it hard to believe that she won't be included. Besides, Hela working as a conduit for Mistresses Death would be a perfect way to introduce Death into the MCU.

#32 Posted by Asgaard (3766 posts) - - Show Bio

@bobandjim1260:

I guess we have a very different perception of what has live action potential and what hasn't... We could debate it, but a lot would remain in the speculation field, so i am just going to leave it this way...

I am expecting that Infinity War will be executed like Cap Civil War was... Not following a lot from the comics narrative...

#33 Posted by bobandjim1260 (811 posts) - - Show Bio

Another, less significant update about how expansive Infinity Wars is set to be.

http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1613640/how-much-avengers-infinity-war-will-expand-the-mcu

#34 Posted by AbelHsu (3540 posts) - - Show Bio

No,Hela is too ugly for a Death.

#35 Posted by bobandjim1260 (811 posts) - - Show Bio

There was a recent update about how Thanos may be one of, if not the main character in Avengers Infinity Wars.

http://collider.com/avengers-infinity-war-thanos-main-character/

#36 Posted by bobandjim1260 (811 posts) - - Show Bio

Another update in Infinity Wars. Watch "Avengers: Infinity War First Look (2018) | Movieclips Trailers" on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PyrgGTFp0E&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The concept art for Thanos in this video looks very similar to the last scene where Thanos is on the steps of the farmhouse after the Infinity Gauntlet event. Which, based on the concept art, my imply that he survives the first film.

#37 Edited by rogueshadow (24913 posts) - - Show Bio

Rumour was that Eva Green is in talks to play her.

#38 Posted by bobandjim1260 (811 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow: I've heard that rumor too actually. There are a couple news articles about it. Neither Death nor Hela has been officially announced a characters yet, all we need to do is wait. Of the 67 characters they are said to have in the movie, all the Avengers, Guardians, Thanos, Cameos and other heroes don't add up to 67. So we have around 30 or so characters yet to be officially announced.

Peter Dinklage is also in talks to play someone (I pray to god that it's Pip the Troll, as his hair was being dyed red).

From all the news we're getting, it seems that Thanos will play the role of the anti-hero. Which is interesting considering the leaked rumor a while back of casting for The Magus.

#39 Posted by Asgaard (3766 posts) - - Show Bio

In the Doctor Strange Blu-ray special features released online today, though, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Civil War, and Avengers: Infinity War co-screenwriter Stephen McFeely talks briefly about Thanos’ plan in Infinity War.

“His goal is to re-balance the universe as he sees it. So when he figures out that the Infinity Stones could do this for him at the snap of a finger, that becomes his main goal.”

#40 Posted by bobandjim1260 (811 posts) - - Show Bio

@asgaard: I was literally just about to post that. http://movieweb.com/avengers-infinity-war-thanos-plan/

I'm so fricking excited!

#41 Edited by GunsNRoses23 (237 posts) - - Show Bio

Its startin' to look like it

#42 Posted by bobandjim1260 (811 posts) - - Show Bio

Ha! If you read through other articles online, as well as many of the comments, it becomes very obvious who did and did not read Thanos Quest or Infinity Gauntlet. They are trying to say that the lack of Mistress Death being mentioned means she won't be in it........which is unsubstantiated for one. Two, this was the exact mission she gave him to accomplish and this was the exact way he went about doing it in the comics. If anything, to me, this confirms that Thanos has a relationship with Death in the film.

#43 Edited by Asgaard (3766 posts) - - Show Bio

@bobandjim1260:

Two, this was the exact mission she gave him to accomplish and this was the exact way he went about doing it in the comics. If anything, to me, this confirms that Thanos has a relationship with Death in the film.

I have to disagree...

His goal is to re-balance the universe as he sees it. So when he figures out that the Infinity Stones could do this for him at the snap of a finger, that becomes his main goal.”

Doesn't really confirm anything... Hints that it will be about Thanos own motivations, like Feige also being saying lately... Yet we just don't know enough about what really going on in his head...

- I maintain that in live action execute/personify the abstract being that brings death to all reality is really difficult and a path that Feige should not run...

#44 Edited by bobandjim1260 (811 posts) - - Show Bio

@asgaard: I disagree with you on your point here friend. This was a direct reference to the actual motivation behind what lead Thanos to collect the Infinity Gems in the original comics.

“His goal is to re-balance the universe as he sees it. *as he sees it, with death on top* So when he figures out that the Infinity Stones could do this for him at the snap of a finger, that becomes his main goal.”

It was obvious that Death isn't mentioned because they don't want to give away too many spoilers. Why would you reveal the complete motivation of your antagonist before the release of your film?

"Doesn't really confirm anything...* it confirms that his goals will be closely tied with what they were during the Infinity Gauntlet* Hints that it will be about Thanos own motivations,*it was Thanos's motivation to please death by completing her task, so technically it would be his motivations* like Feige also being saying lately... Yet we just don't know enough about what really going on in his head..."

"I maintain that in live action execute/personify the abstract being that brings death to all reality is really difficult and a path that Feige should not run..."

I disagree. Death is an incredibly large part of what makes Thanos interesting as a character. Why leave that aspect out? Abstracts are not very difficult to cotton onto and they help explain the MCU origin of the Infinity Stones, as described in the Guardians of the Galaxy art book.

#45 Posted by bobandjim1260 (811 posts) - - Show Bio

Here is my overall problem with Thanos falling in love with Hela. If she is going to be portrayed like she was in the comics, then she is a villain. Falling in love with her is cool, but it loses that poetic side of the indifferent Mistress Death/cosmic entity spurring Thanos's attempts to love her. She represents everything he wants. She is not a villain and not a physical being. She is, for a better lack of words, beyond the emotion of love. Thanos knows this yet still tries to convince himself that it may work if he does this or that. Having Hela be the love interest kinda takes that deeper aspect away from his character and literally makes him more p whipped than he ever was in the comics.

I've been looking at the depiction of Death on the tablet in the Temple of Morag from the Guardians of the Galaxy. She kind of looks like Hela, minus the headpiece. If they make Hela another name for Death and keep the villainous side down she would mend perfectly with the character. She should be manipulating pawns to do her biding, not storming Asgard herself. She has the entire reality to worry about after all. If she went about being a villain towards Asgard the same way Death was a villain towards the Elders of the Universe, then I could totally see her replacing Mistress Death.

#46 Edited by Asgaard (3766 posts) - - Show Bio

@bobandjim1260:

Just going to reply to what i think (with the current data) i constructively can...

*as he sees it, with death on top*

Could be but also may not be that way... We just don't know yet...

If she is going to be portrayed like she was in the comics, then she is a villain.

Hela from Marvel comics (Thor/Asgard lore) is very far from being a villain, be it in Thor title or Journey Into Mystery, even recently K. Gillen gave her a new (well thought) fresh origin (where Loki is her father creator), she actually works like a balance force in contrast with Odin and his picks for Valhalla... (Concept hinted in Thor 2 with Frigga's death, and possibly explored in Ragnarok with Valkyrie)... So she could be a better fit in the role than you think...

Death is an incredibly large part of what makes Thanos interesting as a character. Why leave that aspect out?

To reformulate that aspect is not the same that saying that aspect will be out of his character... We need more data, at least some of Hela motivations... Some people also was saying that Civil War could not work without some characters and the registration act, but it did...

I've been looking at the depiction of Death on the tablet in the Temple of Morag from the Guardians of the Galaxy. She kind of looks like Hela, minus the headpiece.

I love to see this depiction, can you post it?

#47 Edited by bobandjim1260 (811 posts) - - Show Bio

@asgaard: fair enough, there is not a lot of stuff to go off of yet.

I've only read a couple of stories that featured her so I am not all that familiar with her. If what you say is true than she may very well take Death's place. She will probably be a combination of the two in that she lords over all the dead.

Here is a picture from the Guardians of the Galaxy Artbook.

http://i.imgur.com/mLL3dsk.jpg?1

This carving was shown in the temple of Morag, as well as a visual in the Collectors room. The abstract Entropy was originally going to be shown, as the book features concept art. However they ended up replacing it with the celestial Eson. Thanos may have been thinking of Hela when The Other mentioned Death.

The abstracts, I feel, would be a cool way to describe the origin of the Infinity Gems (as it is implied that they created them) without getting into the whole Infinity Being thing or keeping them as Muguffins. It would also show how screwed everything is if Thanos imprisones the abstracts (of which there are really only four in the MCU, one of them being a combination of a couple beings) the Celestials, Ego (if he survives Guardians 2) and the Elders of the Universe. Would make a cool creative effort on the part of the heroes to find a way to defeat Thanos. Essentially what occurred in the comics but with less characters and far more emotion and drama. That's kind of how I see it going down. Scarlet Witch is supposed to play a big part in aiding in Thanos's defeat. Given her connection with Vision (as well as his connection to the mind stone) and him acting as the protector of life, it'll be interesting to see where this goes. This is all speculation of course, but it's speculation that could make a very interesting story.

To finish off my rant, I'd basically like to see play out the same theme the comics did. Having all the power and not being able to acquire the one thing you want. Seeing as how Thanos could be considered a main character, I feel we're going to get that. I feel the greatest team up in any superhero movie will occur and several characters will die and stay dead. I hope it's smart about how they find a way to work together to get the Gauntlet off of Thanos (especially in the Avengers section). I hope it is explained, similar to how in the comics, that Thanos subconsciously sabotaged himself and that he walks away having learned a valuable lesson (the concept Art of him released recently of him in his farming robe makes me think he'll survive the film) so to possibly return as an ally in the second Infinity War film.

#48 Posted by Asgaard (3766 posts) - - Show Bio

@bobandjim1260:

Thanks for the image... Sorry for another request/question, but only the pic was showed in the palaces that you described, right? The text was added and is not confirmed to be canon, right?

I think Infinity War (2018) will be all about Thanos and how he gets the infinity stones, and the continuation in 2019 about how the Avengers and Guardians and possibly others defeat him...

#49 Posted by bobandjim1260 (811 posts) - - Show Bio

@asgaard: To answer what I think you're asking, these carvings were shown twice in the film. The first time it was hard to spot them, the second time was a more direct picture of it while the Collector was describing the Infinity Stones. So yes, this is canon. The descriptions on the pages talked about what the entities on the wall were. That is a picture from the Guardians of the Galaxy Art book. Seeing as how it's not concept art (as it was in the movie) and that these are merely descriptions of the beings carved, I'd assume it's canon. It's also hinted in the Art Book that they were going to introduce more cosmic entities, but Marvel told them to wait until they see how Guardians does, or something along those lines. But yes, those are essentially canon. As the image appeared in the movie twice and the text on the page is the artist description of the beings in the carving.

I get the feeling, especially after this picture released of Thanos http://media.comicbook.com/2017/02/thanos-avengersinfinitywar-231477.png

After comparison with this one from the end of Infinity Gauntlet

http://rq87.flyingomelette.com/RQ/Marvel/MSH/comic12.png

that he may survive to be the anti-hero in the next "Infinity War" film. The Russo Bros have said they're separate and completely self-contained films. I also remember a while back there was a casting call for the Magus.

Anyway, we'll get more info as it comes. It's mostly speculation right now.

#50 Posted by Asgaard (3766 posts) - - Show Bio

@bobandjim1260:

About Hela

"She’s been locked away for millennia getting more and more cross, and then, with a mistake, she gets unleashed and she ain’t getting back in that box,"

No Caption Provided